Jump to content

Just in case anyone had doubts about whom Celebrity are targeting with their "Always Included" &" New Luxury" branding


AtlantaCruiser72
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 11/21/2020 at 9:00 AM, Oceangoer2 said:

Quite the mock-up....would have to pay these folks mega $$s to use their photo in marketing X.

Not anyone we'd like to cruise with,  Their vacations  are probably  quite private and MEGA  EXPENSIVE!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Those that are promising refunds are doing so to avoid looking bad to future customers, he said. Meanwhile, the cruise lines continued to take payments for scheduled cruises that have later been canceled as the pandemic drags on, he said.

“It’s a giant Ponzi scheme,” he said. “The cruise lines are marketing and selling cruises knowing they will be canceled. Then they hold onto the money and offer future cruise credits.”

 

A newly formed organization called Global Cruise Activist Network, which is pushing the industry to improve how it treats the environment, port communities and consumers, released a video on Dec. 2 urging consumers not to accept future cruise credits when their trips are canceled.

If eligible, they should request cash refunds instead, network co-founder Karla Hart says. That’s because many large cruise lines have revised their cancellation policies and are no longer offering refunds for rebooked cruises that get canceled. Plus, many cruise lines are letting future cruise credits expire if you don’t use them within 12 months, potentially leaving consumers with nothing, she said.

Cruise lines are urging refund-eligible consumers to rebook future cruises not just so they can keep the cash to fund current operations, Hart said. They also need to keep future bookings at high levels to keep prices high, she said.

How could they not  issue a refund  for a re booked cruise they cancel???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Aulanis said:

Whilst not a celebrity cruiser I have read with interest that they

have seemingly declared their ideal clients to be in the 40-60 range.

Many have said they will not cruise celebrity again in view of that.

If wishing for an early restart with  more people on board they

seem to have shot themselves in the foot.   

They have now alienated many of their loyal customers in the 60+

group  so they wont be travelling although vaccinated  and the new

found  40-60 group will not be able to cruise for months as they

are way down the group list to receive the vaccine.  

It will be interesting to see how that progresses.

 

I mean, weren't many people on this very board in their 40's and 60's when they started cruising?

 

Did you expect cruise lines to forever stay the same? Time rolls on...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2020 at 7:19 AM, docruth said:

You may be right! I only ran it through Tineye, and it gave me a high probability for GE post-surgery.

 

Pretty sure cruising on a megaship, no matter how luxxe, is not her regular vacation though ... 😂 

 

 

Then why promote it???

 

bon voyage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2020 at 10:23 AM, yorky said:

Last year we were sitting in a fast food restaurant in Glasgow. Next to us were two American students and one came out with the statement that old people should not be allowed to vote as they would soon be dead. Nice.

I bet it was the fat, salt and sugar in their meal which made them say that...LOL

 

They need to be on a X sailing to find out about great food offerings, then they will get a taste of what it is like...

 

bon appetite and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2020 at 6:17 AM, docruth said:

image.png.1ac13e2b0ea62003cb7ddeb3977684a0.png

Gen-X: Celebrity’s Ideal Guest, Huh?

 

So Jack Dorsey, the billionaire from Twitter, Jeff Bezos, the richest man in the world and these other people are now Celebrity’s Gen-X target demographic? Bezos isn’t even a Gen-Xer, he was born in ‘64, so he’s a Boomer. And if that last picture is Gloria Estefan, I can’t really tell, she’s one of the Oasis’ godmothers and was born in ‘57, so she’s a Boomer too.

 

That aside, there are 120 million Boomers and Traditionalists, contrasted with 45 million Gen-Xers. Who put this slide together? Can you even say research? I particularly like the $5.1T addressable market number, really where did that come from as we climb out of a recession? Maybe pull Dorsey, Bezos, Zuckerberg and some other Tech Entrepreneurs and entertainers out to recalculate. Those uber-wealthy types fly and cruise private anyway, so their wealth shouldn’t be in there.

 

 

Jeez...don't take things so personal. Does it really bother you that much that Celebrity is going after a certain generation? I'm not Gen-X and I couldn't care less. LOL! It just surprises me to see an adult be so butthurt over this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Nobody cares that they are going after GenX.   It's turning their back on everyone else, particularly the people who have been filling their ships that makes people upset.

Thank you wrk2cruise.    I assume that you have been a loyal supporter based on your comment.  

 

I agree with you 100%.   Feel as though "I am being taken to the curb to go out with the trash".   

 

Folks:   Please don't bash my comment.  This is MY personal opinion and I feel as if I'm being discarded, hence my comment using the word "trash".

 

I feel my loyalty is not valued at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Welland said:

Thank you wrk2cruise.    I assume that you have been a loyal supporter based on your comment. 

I feel my loyalty is not valued at all.

 

I've seen enough of his other posts to realize he hasn't been that loyal but probably more disappointed because he used to be.

 

If you've sailed when Chandris owned X and the next five years before their agreement expired, you were valued more IMO. Lisa came to Celebrity in 2014 which is when I feel the valued shift started.

 

I don't mind being loyal to a company that reciprocates that loyalty in return.  However when they no longer reciprocate, they become a commodity to me based strictly upon price and value alone. At the current Celebrity prices, I'm not seeing them as a value any longer. That may change if they see their new paradigm backfiring.

 

If not, I can live without Celebrity and I know they can certainly live without me.  I am customer replaceable...a senior citizen. Besides, it's probably time for me to move up anyway.  Kinda like the momma bird (Celebrity) pushing the over aged bird out of the nest. lol  Besides, I don't want to leave my estate to nieces and nephews anyway.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Nobody cares that they are going after GenX.   It's turning their back on everyone else, particularly the people who have been filling their ships that makes people upset.

 

How are they turning their back on everyone else? I'm in that "everyone else" category and don't see Celebrity turning their back on me. They've made some minor changes to their loyalty program and everyone is up in arms about it. Over the past couple of years they've transformed the cruise line to appeal to other demographics outside of the 60+ group. Celebrity is the "trendy" and "chic" cruise line now. Doesn't mean they turned their back on the 60+ group...just means they are appealing to a broader base.

 

Pricing has gone up but have you seen some of the other cruise lines? NCL has raised the prices of their suites by 60-80% and in some cases even more. Once the waters settle the prices will come down a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Welland said:

Thank you wrk2cruise.    I assume that you have been a loyal supporter based on your comment.  

 

I agree with you 100%.   Feel as though "I am being taken to the curb to go out with the trash".   

 

Folks:   Please don't bash my comment.  This is MY personal opinion and I feel as if I'm being discarded, hence my comment using the word "trash".

 

I feel my loyalty is not valued at all.

You won't get any bashing from me.  I feel the same way.  Sailed 50 times on Celebrity so far.  I also don't care if they try to market to some younger folks.  But I also feel like I am being kicked to the curb.  If it wasn't for people like you and me, Celebrity would never have grown to the success it is today.  That doesn't seem to matter at all with them anymore. 

 

I know there will be people of all ages who disagree with me.  I also know that not every very loyal person is in their senior years, although I suspect most are as we have the time to cruise much more regularly.  That said, I can tell the younger folks reading this that ageism is a real thing and once you get there you will understand why many of us feel this way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, phoenix_dream said:

You won't get any bashing from me.  I feel the same way.  Sailed 50 times on Celebrity so far.  I also don't care if they try to market to some younger folks.  But I also feel like I am being kicked to the curb.  If it wasn't for people like you and me, Celebrity would never have grown to the success it is today.  That doesn't seem to matter at all with them anymore. 

 

I know there will be people of all ages who disagree with me.  I also know that not every very loyal person is in their senior years, although I suspect most are as we have the time to cruise much more regularly.  That said, I can tell the younger folks reading this that ageism is a real thing and once you get there you will understand why many of us feel this way.

 

Can you give me some examples of why you feel like Celebrity has kicked you to the curb? I don't see it at all...but maybe i'm not looking in the right places.  Please share your thoughts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I've seen enough of his other posts to realize he hasn't been that loyal but probably more disappointed because he used to be.

 

Sailing Celebrity since 2004 and got to Zenith CC level almost 2 years ago.   Only other line sailed was RC and that was before we sailed Celebrity and was a work "conference" trip provided by the company.

 

DW has significant dietary restrictions which have always been handled well regardless of MDR/Blu/Luminae.   Being a bit timid to try other lines because of horror stories we have heard about handling on other lines by fellow passengers.   We said we would try other alternatives when Celebrity gave us a reason to.

 

55 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

However when they no longer reciprocate, they become a commodity to me based strictly upon price and value alone. At the current Celebrity prices, I'm not seeing them as a value any longer. That may change if they see their new paradigm backfiring.

 

 

This is similar to the way I'm feeling now.   My 8 future bookings if priced today would be on average 96% more expensive than my current pricing apples to apples.  Some of this difference is due to the fact that I would take Grats/OBC as the 2 PERK option as I get drinks/wifi from loyalty.

 

Now am I a cheerleader?   Sometimes.   But I've had my battles with corporate and have had mostly positive outcomes after expending way too much effort to get them to "do the right thing".   If you have noticed I've been advising someone on another thread tonight who was denied something and asked what to do.   I gave them feedback to push back on the company and it looks like they are having success.

 

I still like the product but I want to feel like a valued customer and will only pay a price for the product where I determine it to be a value.

 

 

Edited by wrk2cruise
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems a boisterous maelstrom of personal affronts and self-degradation, all in the name of loyalty, or the lack thereof. It is certainly everyone’s right to personalize the nature of Celebrity’s new promotional strategy, if indeed they feel it is not intended to include them. But why would one feel that way? Why put oneself in a position of lesser importance and decreased desirability when that is not the intention?

 

A 75 year old cruiser who is relatively healthy has 10 more good cruising years, maybe. A 40 year old cruiser who is healthy has 40 more good cruising years, maybe. Senior cruisers are not a Celebrity liability and the need to expand product awareness with different modes and methods is necessary to enhance product appeal, to all generations. Don’t take it personal.

 

I prefer dependability or reliability, two synonyms of loyalty. We throw loyalty around like it’s expected to garner more favor. Celebrity has been loyal to me because it has given me the reliable product that I expect for my money, perks and rewards and recognition notwithstanding. As long as that continues, I’m a reliable customer for a dependable product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I am correct in thinking this Gen-X targeting revolves around the Edge class ships then stick with Solstice or Millennium ships.  We're personally partial to the Solstice class so as long as they don't change too much we'll stick with them.  Unless, of course, we get priced out which is always a possibility.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Nobody cares that they are going after GenX.   It's turning their back on everyone else, particularly the people who have been filling their ships that makes people upset.

Which I happen to believe that the whole marketing topic is over blown.

 

As others have said, if one enjoys X, sail them regardless of the marketing.

 

If one enjoys the ambiance, sail them, regardless of the marketing.

 

If one enjoys any of the ships in the fleet, sail them, regardless of the marketing.

 

If the marketing is the real bugger about X, then we can go to fleets whose marketing appeals to us and forget about the past, if that is the case.

 

I do pay attention to the marketing for certain reasons, yet my overwhelming decision factor to continually sail X is the experience we personally have while sailing, along with our friends and guests who sail with us. And nothing less.

 

The brand fits what we want when we sail.... for others, apparently not and that is okay too.

 

Sail on and bon voyage

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Welland said:

Thank you wrk2cruise.    I assume that you have been a loyal supporter based on your comment.  

 

I agree with you 100%.   Feel as though "I am being taken to the curb to go out with the trash".   

 

Folks:   Please don't bash my comment.  This is MY personal opinion and I feel as if I'm being discarded, hence my comment using the word "trash".

 

I feel my loyalty is not valued at all.

I understand about the loyalty comment for many, it may appear to be true.

 

Please explain what makes you believe this and what evolution or valuation of Perks would make you believe that you are a very valued passenger based on loyalty.

 

Maybe because I sail between once a year to every other year, the 'specialness' over comes me with joy upon boarding and the rest does not matter much.... except when dis-embarking afterwards! LOL

 

bon voyage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I still like the product but I want to feel like a valued customer and will only pay a price for the product where I determine it to be a value.

^^^^^^^^^^ This I support wholeheartedly, only you can determine value for you, while others of us do find value, thus far on X and the experience well worth it.

 

I believe that we are valued customers once we hit the gang plank, hit the cabin, look around the ship, feeling like this is going to be a sailing like no other!

 

I will not delude myself into thinking that no one else believes this on other lines to the degree that I do or more. We all have the reason to believe that and can support it for ourselves alone and continue to sail whichever line of our choice, until it is not for whatever reason.

 

Please explain what will make you 'feel' like a valued customer?

 

bon voyage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

 

How are they turning their back on everyone else? I'm in that "everyone else" category and don't see Celebrity turning their back on me. They've made some minor changes to their loyalty program and everyone is up in arms about it. Over the past couple of years they've transformed the cruise line to appeal to other demographics outside of the 60+ group. Celebrity is the "trendy" and "chic" cruise line now. Doesn't mean they turned their back on the 60+ group...just means they are appealing to a broader base.

 

Pricing has gone up but have you seen some of the other cruise lines? NCL has raised the prices of their suites by 60-80% and in some cases even more. Once the waters settle the prices will come down a bit.

d - I concur, some of us become so myopic when it comes to Our Line Of Choice and do not look beyond the current environment! (Guilty as charged LOL)

 

When I look at marketing and policies of other lines, I find that X fits me better than those, at the moment, excluding pricing.

 

bon voyage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not so much the marketing that should matter.  Personally I'd like to see them attract younger, good looking women for my spousal unit to point out to my attention in case I missed them.. 😁

 

It's should be the cruise line's actions that determine whether you're getting what you expect for the money.  I believe the Zenith level has been the most affected by the changes to the Captain's Club.  I'm not there nor expect to ever reach it so I don't have a dog in that hunt.  However I do understand how they must feel.

 

It doesn't matter how much Celebrity markets that they're luxury.  It's just more over promising and under delivering.  Lipstick on that pig won't make it more than still a pig. You can't make a mega ship true luxury. The staffing ratio doesn't support it. WiFi, grats and liquor always included doesn't make a cruise line luxury either.  It just gets the younger cruisers tipsy enough 🍹🍹🍺🍷🍷 so they don't realize the difference.

 

Edited by ChucktownSteve
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

 

I still like the product but I want to feel like a valued customer and will only pay a price for the product where I determine it to be a value.

 

 

This is where I lose the thread of a lot of arguments about loyalty. 

 

Many folks (on many boards, not just this one) talk about "loyalty" to a cruise line. But when it gets down to it, it has more to do with value and getting a good price than about loyalty. Loyalty implies that you would stick with a line through thick and thin, even if better alternatives were available. "Loyalty" is not the same thing as "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" -- that's something different.

 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think "loyalty" is something that is owed to a cruise line. They are corporations, and they are not for one minute "loyal" to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChucktownSteve said:

It's not so much the marketing that should matter.  Personally I'd like to see them attract younger, good looking women for my spousal unit to point out to my attention in case I missed them.. 😁

LOL--- If You would stop playing  " Celebrity Olympics " ( sleeping in the Solarium ) every afternoon from 2-4 , you would see them !!! 

Now, you reminded me again of that " Old f--t " with that young --- boy, oh boy,  I just couldn't see what she saw in him---( for a whole 12 night cruise ) . Ya shoulda seen the smile on her face , plus, the hug she gave him when he was signing the bill for the '' pre-loved " Rolex. 

Now, about " Loyalty "  --- It's really pretty simple .

I could care less about Perks ( mostly built into the price ) , points ( only 10,000 more to reach XXX level ),  or who is on board ( LOL---re their marketing target ) , as long as Celebrity continues to deliver the excellent overall product we have become to " expect " after the many cruise we enjoyed with them. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

This is where I lose the thread of a lot of arguments about loyalty. 

 

Many folks (on many boards, not just this one) talk about "loyalty" to a cruise line. But when it gets down to it, it has more to do with value and getting a good price than about loyalty. Loyalty implies that you would stick with a line through thick and thin, even if better alternatives were available. "Loyalty" is not the same thing as "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" -- that's something different.

 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think "loyalty" is something that is owed to a cruise line. They are corporations, and they are not for one minute "loyal" to you.

c - I must say, that by the time I dis-embark, most of the employees are very loyal to/for me.

 

I give them props throughout the sailing and by the time it is over, it was like I Am the CEO of RCL... those crew members who remember me pass the word around to their associates, he's back and special treat him and his guests well.

 

That is the loyalty I have come to expect, not from the back office as they do not know me by anything other than my CC #, it is the crew who we interface with that makes the difference, IMO..

 

Your point is well taken for sure.

 

bon voyage

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

c - I must say, that by the time I dis-embark, most of the employees are very loyal to/for me.

 

I give them props throughout the sailing and by the time it is over, it was like I Am the CEO of RCL... those crew members who remember me pass the word around to their associates, he's back and special treat him and his guests well.

 

That is the loyalty I have come to expect, not from the back office as they do not know me by anything other than my CC #, it is the crew who we interface with that makes the difference, IMO..

 

Your point is well taken for sure.

 

bon voyage

Could not agree more here, Bo!!  My experience with the crew, staff et al, they genuinely care and work so hard to make my vacation the very best on-board experience it can possibly.  Kudos to all of them, I sure hope that they can start working again soon, this has been such a trying time for most all of them I am sure.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • LauraS locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...