Just in case anyone had doubts about whom Celebrity are targeting with their "Always Included" &" New Luxury" branding

AtlantaCruiser72

2 hours ago, Arno. said:

It certainly is not me.  I just got banned from sailing on any celebrity or Royal branded ship for contravention of their guest conduct policy and I’m not even on a ship.  It seems they do not like my Who is aboard thread and reaching out to staff members dating back over a decade.

*****?

31 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Maybe you haven't flown lately.  You don't get anything extra in first class any more except a somewhat larger seat.  Oh, and booze.  I don't drink.  No food.  So I've quit flying first class and moved to the premium economy seats a few rows back.  For a lot less money I get basically the same service.  Not quite as much seat.  Whatever.  Saving a lot of money.

Agree completely. Unless you are going overseas, First Class is not worth the $$.

As long as Delta blocks the middle seat, Economy Plus us just fine for a flight of less than 4 hours.

I'm GenX and Elite+; and yes all inclusive pricing makes it more likely that I will continue sailing Celebrity.  That being said, if they are targeting my demographic, they are going to have to stop the relentless Beatles tribute bands and find some more interesting activities and entertainment options beyond a Silent Disco.  I can only sit on the stool at the Martini Bar for so long. 🙂   Some late night shows would be a nice change.  Virgin Voyages actually sounds somewhat appealing because they are focusing on healthy lifestyles, some fun entertainment and thankfully no buffet.  We  tend to like smaller restaurants with good service, good wine and unique menus.  That is one of the reasons why Blu has been so popular.

Edited by Xcelsior
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xcelsior said:

I'm GenX and Elite+; and yes all inclusive pricing makes it more likely that I will continue sailing Celebrity.

This is a serious question.   What is it about the All Included pricing you find better than being able to select 2 or 4 perks?    Is it just the fact that you don't have to think about it?  No option makes it simple?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xcelsior said:

I'm GenX and Elite+; and yes all inclusive pricing makes it more likely that I will continue sailing Celebrity.  That being said, if they are targeted my demographic, they are going to have to stop the relentless Beatles tribute bands and find some more interesting activities and entertainment options beyond a Silent Disco.  I can only sit on the stool at the Martini Bar for so long. 🙂

I’m a boomer according to the dates, but I can’t wait to see heads explode the first time they play Bulls on Parade...  Or Kendrick Lamar. Or better yet, your ideas! And I’ll always love the Beatles, even though I was 2 when they were on Sullivan. 

Maybe just Thunder Road!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

This is a serious question.   What is it about the All Included pricing you find better than being able to select 2 or 4 perks?    Is it just the fact that you don't have to think about it?  No option makes it simple?

I don't tend to sail in Suites, so depending on pricing I'm either going to be in Aqua or a balcony and end up purchasing or paying for all 4 perks anyway - plus an upgrade to premium bev package....so to me, I like the price all in and then it's easier for me to know what a good price is without doing all the math of one perk, two perks, four perks included etc.  So yes it's simpler for me to understand the pricing and just pay before i go.

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

I’m a boomer according to the dates, but I can’t wait to see heads explode the first time they play Bulls on Parade...  Or Kendrick Lamar. Or better yet, your ideas! And I’ll always love the Beatles, even though I was 2 when they were on Sullivan. 

Maybe just Thunder Road!

I like the Beatles too.  i just don't need to have a Beatles party every other night. 😉

My first thought when I saw the new marketing plan was, "I guess they don't want me anymore." I"m 63, newly retired and now have plenty of time to travel. Yes, we have money to spend, but I've always been fiscally responsible and do not spend with deep pockets. 

Taking emotion out of this, it makes sense to target a younger group on passengers. I started cruising more than 25 years ago - near the bottom age of the new target age group. These are the passengers which will continue to cruise for years and starting them in this age bracket makes sense. 

Couple of issues with this group. Many have limited vacation time, many have children which will increase the price for the family, and will also fill the ship with more children - which some will like, others not so much. I may be wrong, but this age group has a different life experience. They haven't had a lot of loyalty with employers and in many instances have been forced to switch jobs many times. Don't think they would be as loyal as many long term current customers, but you need to cultivate new customers to keep your business going.

1 minute ago, Xcelsior said:

I like the Beatles too.  i just don't need to have a Beatles party every other night. 😉

Agree. I’ve become more appreciative of the 90’s as I’ve gotten older. I think it would be fascinating to jump from ABBA to Nirvana, Rage, the Foos, etc. and see the reaction. Throw in some rap and hip hop (not really my thing for the most part, but I can handle a lot of it). If I’m not listening to E-Street radio in the car on Sirius XM, I’m on Lithium. But that’s still 30 year old music!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Maybe you haven't flown lately.  You don't get anything extra in first class any more except a somewhat larger seat.  Oh, and booze.  I don't drink.  No food.  So I've quit flying first class and moved to the premium economy seats a few rows back.  For a lot less money I get basically the same service.  Not quite as much seat.  Whatever.  Saving a lot of money.

I meant international business and first class. 

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/airline-unbundled-business-class/

Edited by UnorigionalName

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Yes, I think you are right.  Young professionals without kids.  But, I think these people are more interested in Virgin Voyages.  Those with less money are interested in Carnival.

Good Point. I haven’t found Virgin that interesting yet. I personally love Celebrity Cruises and the wide range of individuals on them. 

My husband and I loved our transatlantic for the wide range of individuals we were able to meet and connect with.  But I swear I am not a true millennial. 🙂 

23 minutes ago, vswan said:

My first thought when I saw the new marketing plan was, "I guess they don't want me anymore." I"m 63, newly retired and now have plenty of time to travel. Yes, we have money to spend, but I've always been fiscally responsible and do not spend with deep pockets. 

Taking emotion out of this, it makes sense to target a younger group on passengers. I started cruising more than 25 years ago - near the bottom age of the new target age group. These are the passengers which will continue to cruise for years and starting them in this age bracket makes sense. 

Couple of issues with this group. Many have limited vacation time, many have children which will increase the price for the family, and will also fill the ship with more children - which some will like, others not so much. I may be wrong, but this age group has a different life experience. They haven't had a lot of loyalty with employers and in many instances have been forced to switch jobs many times. Don't think they would be as loyal as many long term current customers, but you need to cultivate new customers to keep your business going.

I think you make some very interesting points minutes the the parts of being loyal to travel companies.  Many young individuals have started to become very brand loyal in the recent years.  

For example I travel minimum 50% of the year whether it is for personal or business. I only fly Delta Airlines, stay at Hilton Brand Hotels, cruise with Celebrity and rent cars with Enterprise.  This is solely because of the locality programs and the points I am able to build up.  I carry all the premium credit cards because I can transfer those points and use them for travel.

4 hours ago, Arno. said:

It certainly is not me.  I just got banned from sailing on any celebrity or Royal branded ship for contravention of their guest conduct policy and I’m not even on a ship.  It seems they do not like my Who is aboard thread and reaching out to staff members dating back over a decade.

*****?

What guest conduct policy if you are  not a current guest. Really odd..

They may ban you  ( their loss) but not sure how they can censor your posts in social media.  Did staff members complain?

On 11/14/2020 at 4:38 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The below slide was on a travel agent webinar and describes who they will be "obsessively"  focusing on and marketing to with their new "Always Included" pricing structure and "New Luxury" branding.  It's Gen-X and they are not ashamed to admit that Baby Boomers are no longer the core demographic they want to attract or retain!  It's all about the $$$$, and they see Gen-X as more profitable per guest/day than any other cohort.

No surprise to me. That was obvious with the Edge class ships. They better come up with some better entertainment because even my baby boomer self gets board on X.

Talented performers deserve good material to perform. Paying audiences deserve good material and talented performers to appreciate. 

Throwing together incongrous material for talented performers disrespects them, the audience, and the original creators of the good material that get amalgamated into a canned show. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Talented performers deserve good material to perform. Paying audiences deserve good material and talented performers to appreciate. 

Throwing together incongrous material for talented performers disrespects them, the audience, and the original creators of the good material that get amalgamated into a canned show. 

You are so right.  And that incongruous material runs for 5-8 years.

• Like 1

Shows on EDGE were excellent..in the theater and the CLUB, Eden show was not very good.

X has tried to market to  younger  people for quite awhile..even with some very edgy shows and other  odd activities that quickly flopped.   Not everyone in the target demo will enjoy cruising,.they should market to  folks who enjoy it,...rather than just by age or income.  Someone has to fill the inside cabins too!

Once Royal took over, the level of the X experience fell,..but we still enjoyed the dumb downed version.

10 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

This was my thought too.  Its was very easy to price the cruise with perks and without the perks.  How does taking away that choice make things better?  I understand Celebrity's position--they are selling everyone things that many don't need.  That puts more money in their coffers.  But, how is that a plus for everyone who doesn't drink or use wifi?

Wow this got heated 😯

I’m a little confused by the apparent shock over some changes,  but I think it would have possibly been more wise to just cancel all bookings and start from scratch. Everything is going to change. Everything. That is the current reality. If they don’t make changes, there will be no Celebrity cruises. Just because your age group wasn’t presented on a slide does not translate to you being no longer welcome. 

There are also a ton of FCC’s out there. There may be pent up demand for travel at some point. If those who don’t have an FCC to use are willing to pay a premium, they will. If not, prices will come down. 

• Like 2

My wife and I are both retired Boomers (70 years old) and do not care who Celebrity markets too, it makes no difference to us. We can because of savings and aggressive financial investments while working,  afford to travel first class and almost as often as we want. So we have both the time and discretionary income to travel.

We choose to sail with Celebrity because we like the current product and for us the ability to book a great cabin (AQ or higher)  with a private dinning room  and get the 4 perks package for a little more but less than if bought individually, are what's important. If the Celebrity ships being filled with more Gen X or even Millennials, means the line stays profitable and in business, that is a good thing. As long as Celebrity keeps this current model we will be happy to sail with them for many years to come. Loyalty programs are nice but in the scheme of things not that important for us. We have 180,000 miles with American Airlines that we may never use because of covid and the drop in the AA product quality.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3

I haven't been following these boards much lately - too depressing.  😉  But my wife has been reading a lot of the Always Included  posts and it prompted us to browse the 2022 cruises to compare with our current August, 2021, ABC booking.  Similar 2022 cruises under Always Included  are showing 30 -40% fare increases.  We're not so naive that we wouldn't expect some increase but there appears to be no option.  Suppose we don't want wifi or a drink package - seems we should pay a lesser fare.  But the main thing I'm concerned about is what happens if our current booking gets cancelled and we try to rebook for 2022.  I wouldn't be surprised if we got hammered by the new fares. 

On 11/17/2020 at 7:23 AM, basenji56 said:

The marketing people convinced Celebrity that it can market itself as a Luxury cruise line (Like Regent and Silversea) if it kept everything the same but forced everyone to buy three "amenities" by increasing the cruise fares to include the price of the amenities. Yes, they really do think we are that stupid.

^^^^^^^ This is based on what facts or information you can readily share???? Is it written or verbal or personal thoughts/speculation on the new approach?

Are you wanting the additional bundled items at no further charge other than the base fare? Currently we can purchase sailings at base fares and then go back later to individually add-on items we want to have while aboard. What is the issue, two (2) ways to purchase add-on's????

Many of us who sail or investigate cruise lines do understand, generally, where X stands in terms of Luxury, Premium, All-Inclusive etc...

If it is a first sailing, then we find out on-board and like it or not

We are not 'forced' to take the additional amenities, from my experience (past and current) it is only an offering of bundling vs purchase separately.

We are only 'stupid' if we do not take all offerings into consideration before buying and deciding this is what I want vs I do not want this. If the latter, then bye-bye... Even if we do not investigate beforehand, when we board then we can decide 'Oh, I was so stupid to do it this way, next time....'

Most of us do not have your (and others) savvy and desire in terms of pricing and purchasing cruises. We buy based on what we want and believe is of good value to us. Then we can become more savvy, based on our own individual experience(s) in this realm.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

^^^^^^^ This is based on what facts or information you can readily share???? Is it written or verbal or personal thoughts/speculation on the new approach?

We are not 'forced' to take the additional amenities, from my experience (past and current) it is only an offering of bundling vs purchase separately.

Go to the Celebrity website to book a cruise.  There is no option to decline the amenities.  I am not making this up.

I have heard that travel agents can sell you a cruise without amenities but I am not positive about this.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1