I was planning on going to watch her sail up the Solent as it’s very local to me! However in the email it says “Unfortunately, we can’t welcome you at the cruise terminal in Southampton or any viewing points along the coast.”

I’m not sure how they are going to stop people watch her sail in unless it’s not being Christened in Southampton? She isn’t scheduled on the ABP website to come in on the 16th May either. The Britannia is there for a few days and that could possibly be a placeholder for Iona 

13 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

I was planning on going to watch her sail up the Solent as it’s very local to me! However in the email it says “Unfortunately, we can’t welcome you at the cruise terminal in Southampton or any viewing points along the coast.”

I’m not sure how they are going to stop people watch her sail in unless it’s not being Christened in Southampton? She isn’t scheduled on the ABP website to come in on the 16th May either. The Britannia is there for a few days and that could possibly be a placeholder for Iona 

I missed that bit about viewing points. Bit of a mystery because as you say they can't stop us going to watch the sail in. 

7 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

I missed that bit about viewing points. Bit of a mystery because as you say they can't stop us going to watch the sail in. 

The only thing I can think of is they are trying to stop crowds forming. 

I have the Marine Traffic app on my phone so I will track her movements the day before. 

I will be going to watch her sail in! So many nice places along the Solent to get a good view!

1 minute ago, Glitterati said:

I have the Marine Traffic app on my phone so I will track her movements the day before. 

I will be going to watch her sail in! So many nice places along the Solent to get a good view!

Yes I'm going to do the same. Can't wait to board her on August 21st!

48 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

I think this is more a case of being seen to discourage any large gatherings to watch the sail-in. When previous ships have arrived for the first time, iirc, they have listed a number of decent spots to see the ship arriving but it would obviously not be sensible to encourage this at the moment. 

53 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

51 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Yes I'm going to do the same. Can't wait to board her on August 21st!

I'll be there with my sturdy iron steed.

got the email invite but won't bother, there will be hundreds or thousands of photos and videos online shortly after, and possibly lots of moaning too, I look forward to that 😁😈

My husband and myself have both received an email invitation.

We were booked on an Iona cruise but it was cancelled and we haven’t rebooked. However, we’ll accept the invitation, as there will hopefully be a chance to see inside the ship 

I’ve had the email about the Godmother and the date she’s sailing in but no invite as we’re not booked on her! 

I hope Zap has noticed Gary is making an appearance 😃

Interesting choice of 16th May for the naming ceremony.  So if anyone happens to think they may like to check into a nearby hotel for a night or two in the hope they may catch a glimpse of her, they can't, but would have been able to do that the next day.  I just wonder if that had any bearing on the choice of date.  Plenty of people will be local enough to see her sail in from a distance, but they will also have the local knowledge to find a good spot that may not be too crowded. 

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve had the email about the Godmother and the date she’s sailing in but no invite as we’re not booked on her! 

Yes, I thought of Zap too when I read Gary would be there 😊

I haven’t seen Zap on here the last few days, maybe I’ve just missed his posts.

Dame Irene is going to be chatting about foreign travel tomorrow on her local radio station. Will the "sun (f)ind (m)ore"

21 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Yes, I thought of Zap too when I read Gary would be there 😊

I haven’t seen Zap on here the last few days, maybe I’ve just missed his posts.

I have ‘seen’  him a couple of days ago. I should have tagged him properly @zap99 😊

3 hours ago, Glitterati said:

I have the same app and for a day out we will go to Hythe to watch her come in but not at a stupid hour during the night , think it will be a lot quieter at Hythe 

Both myself and my husband had the emails this morning, I’ve registered to watch it live but I’m not on her until January, seems the emails are all the same but changed slightly at the beginning .

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I have ‘seen’  him a couple of days ago. I should have tagged him properly @zap99 😊

He's still around and looking forward to lockdown easing, travel starting and Gary singing like a little Liverbird.

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I think you have to be a certain grade ( Baltic ?) to receive an invite.

7 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Has everyone had this invite? 😂

we can’t wait for everyone to see our newest ship, Iona, when she begins sailing this summer. And, as a valued Baltic tier member of the Peninsular Club, we’d have loved for you to be there for her naming ceremony in Southampton. Instead, we have a special invitation just for you. RSVP to watch our private livestream from the comfort of home and you’ll see even more than you could have at the quayside.

Look who’s there!

Gary Barlow performing live

A short set from Gary Barlow,
Music Director of The 710 Club on board Iona

Official naming ceremony conducted by
Iona’s godmother, Dame Irene Hays
A few words from P&O Cruises president, Paul Ludlow
Spectacular aerial footage of Iona as she sails
into Southampton for the first time
Plus more special appearances to be announced soon

RSVP by 2 May 2021 to secure your place

We’re strictly limiting the number of invitations for this private event. To make
sure you’ll have access to watch at home, click the button below and confirm
you’ll be tuning in for the exclusive livestream.

Got my invite this morning, too.

31 minutes ago, zap99 said:

He's still around and looking forward to lockdown easing, travel starting and Gary singing like a little Liverbird.

I used to use ‘liverbird’ as a user name on other forums 😊

33 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I got one and I am only Caribbean 😟

I'm sure you deserve an invitation. Caribbean is half a year onboard.