Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ray66 said:

Hi,

I have a cruise booked on Iona for late May (transferred from August 2020) and the balance is due to my TA early next month. So I'm assuming that anyone booked through a TA on the April cruises have to pay their balance round about now? I've found that typically TA's want the balance paid about a month earlier than if you were booking direct with the cruise line.

 

Just interested to know if anyone has paid their balance yet for April. Some of you seem to think that cruises won't go ahead until later in the year.

I was booked on the March 6th sailing of Iona.

The payment was due to be paid to my TA on 6th November. I phoned them and they delayed the due date to 26th November, by which time the cruise had been cancelled.

 

However, I would have been more comfortable losing the small deposit than paying a large sum to P&O in these uncertain times. Of course, this is very personal, and also depends on how much chance you think your cruise has of sailing and on how willing you are to actually cruise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I was booked on the March 6th sailing of Iona.

The payment was due to be paid to my TA on 6th November. I phoned them and they delayed the due date to 26th November, by which time the cruise had been cancelled.

 

However, I would have been more comfortable losing the small deposit than paying a large sum to P&O in these uncertain times. Of course, this is very personal, and also depends on how much chance you think your cruise has of sailing and on how willing you are to actually cruise. 

We are thinking along the same lines for our June river cruise, we are scheduled to pay the balance at the end of February, hopefully by then we will have more idea whether it may happen. If we aren't fairly confident it will go I will lose the deposit rather than give the travel agent several grand more. There have been a lot of shifty practices going on with some TA's since covid and I can't help but feel more of them will go under before cruising starts up. We have already had one travel agent go bust owing us 5K, luckily we got it back from my bank, a lot of people haven't been so lucky. I don't need the hassle of it happening again. I plan to contact the TA and cruise company in the new year to see if the deposit can be moved.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Just been catching up on some WW2 documentaries.  The commentary mentioned Tirpitz hiding from the British for months on end in a Norweigan fjord.

 

Maybe Iona should be renamed? 🤣


Hopefully not, as it didn’t end well for Tirpitz. Mind you, it hasn’t started well for Iona 😂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Selbourne said:


Hopefully not, as it didn’t end well for Tirpitz. Mind you, it hasn’t started well for Iona 😂 

She is going to be all shiny and new for me by the time I get on her, I’m happy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

She is going to be all shiny and new for me by the time I get on her, I’m happy.


We were booked on her maiden cruise. The question now is whether we feel confident enough to book the maiden on her sister ship. You have to hope!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

She is going to be all shiny and new for me by the time I get on her, I’m happy.

Shiny and unused but not exactly new...😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had it confirmed to me that's she is there for a technical call. Departure listed as 18:00 tomorrow.

 

Rotterdam is considered the LNG capital of Europe at present.


Essentially, Iona nipped out to the bar!

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Iona turned around where is she going now ? Maybe on a day trip ?

AIS shows her as destined for Haugesund, but she is currently heading towards the entrance to Stavanger.  Which she did earlier on today.....

 

Maybe the scenery is particularly nice today?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So Iona was on time heading for Haugesund then took a diversion towards Stavanger, then headed back to Haugesund, then headed back to Stavanger.

 

Her arrival into Haugesund has been put back by 24 hrs to tomorrow but only at least minute.

 

Looking at the weather, they are expecting gusts up to 74km/h. Likely to be a case of, pilot might not be able to board, head to Stavanger. Second thoughts, let’s try. Finally, no let’s try again tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

So Iona was on time heading for Haugesund then took a diversion towards Stavanger, then headed back to Haugesund, then headed back to Stavanger.

 

Her arrival into Haugesund has been put back by 24 hrs to tomorrow but only at least minute.

 

Looking at the weather, they are expecting gusts up to 74km/h. Likely to be a case of, pilot might not be able to board, head to Stavanger. Second thoughts, let’s try. Finally, no let’s try again tomorrow.

Keeping the pilot safe has got to be the best idea, even in less dramatic weather in my book.  Our next door neighbour was widowed when her pilot husband slipped and fell between ship and pilot boat on the Mersey about 30 years ago.  He was very near retirement at the time.

 

Edited by tring
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, tring said:

What or who is that, I do not use instagram?

It's a picture P&O posted of her to their insta Page, and the bridge is very red. Like my lounge when I set the Hue like that.

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 08.58.29.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JP82 said:

It's a picture P&O posted of her to their insta Page, and the bridge is very red. Like my lounge when I set the Hue like that.

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 08.58.29.png

And today’s competition is to decide which is Iona and which is the block of flats 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...