Review of Celebrity Cruises Hanoi excursion from Celebrity Millennium

DavietheScot

Thanks for your Interesting review. We were on the Azamara Quest & did the same cruise itinerary as you at the same time late October into mid November, 2019. We separately added Cambodia including Angor Was at the end of our cruise.  We choose to stay at Halong bay and arranged a private cruise on the bay with a few interesting stops including a arched entrance into an area full of monkeys. In any event , we did a private tour on Ho Chi Minh city and visited the war museum there. It contained a lot of US planes , tanks and other armaments. Some of the pictures inside were quite revealing. I also thought that the story of the war was very one sided  & brutal against the US. Overall, we did enjoy our 3 stops in Viet Nam with old Da Nang our favorite.

The square where Ho Chi Minh is displayed looks similar to Tenniman square in Bejing where chairman Mao is housed. Was he housed in a see-through coffin?

Edited by dabear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dabear said:

Thanks for your Interesting review. We were on the Azamara Quest & did the same cruise itinerary as you at the same time late October into mid November, 2019. We separately added Cambodia including Angor Was at the end of our cruise.  We choose to stay at Halong bay and arranged a private cruise on the bay with a few interesting stops including a arched entrance into an area full of monkeys. In any event , we did a private tour on Ho Chi Minh city and visited the war museum there. It contained a lot of US planes , tanks and other armaments. Some of the pictures inside were quite revealing. I also thought that the story of the war was very one sided  & brutal against the US. Overall, we did enjoy our 3 stops in Viet Nam with old Da Nang our favorite.

The square where Ho Chi Minh is displayed looks similar to Tenniman square in Bejing where chairman Mao is housed. Was he housed in a see-through coffin?

Thanks glad you like the review, yes the body of Ho Chi Minh is displayed in a dark room within a large glass coffin / case. 

20 minutes ago, DavietheScot said:

Thanks glad you like the review, yes the body of Ho Chi Minh is displayed in a dark room within a large glass coffin / case. 

Celebrity currently has a Vietnam cruise on their site for 2022, I am so seriously thinking about booking.  

• Like 1

Nice review and much better as an overnight.

We sailed Millennium Christmas & New Year 2014/15. Same itinerary but the other way round Hong Kong to Singapore and also would have liked to see Hanoi but even though the ship was in Halong Bay for 2 days the excursion was not an overnight but a 1 day trip leaving early morning and returning to the ship at approx 10.00-11.00pm on Christmas Eve so we decided against it.

I'm sure it was much more enjoyable over 2 days rather than crammed into a single day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, simon stingray said:

Nice review and much better as an overnight.

We sailed Millennium Christmas & New Year 2014/15. Same itinerary but the other way round Hong Kong to Singapore and also would have liked to see Hanoi but even though the ship was in Halong Bay for 2 days the excursion was not an overnight but a 1 day trip leaving early morning and returning to the ship at approx 10.00-11.00pm on Christmas Eve so we decided against it.

I'm sure it was much more enjoyable over 2 days rather than crammed into a single day.

Yes Simon I honestly would not do it as one day trip, it was in fact available as a 1 day trip the year we did it as well as the overnight. But the one day means your on the bus 7 hours, plus you actually see much less of Hanoi. So never really a option for us. 

• Like 1