Buy one get one free

lenquixote66

My suggestion to cruise lines.Offer a limited buy one cruise get one free.This would be for all Inside cabins and select Ocean View.Everything sold on the ship would be buy one get one free including Specialty restaurants,the $10 watches that stop working five minutes after you leave the ship and tee shirts that shrink after the first washing.Included would be select Shore Excursions,select beverages .

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My suggestion to cruise lines.Offer a limited buy one cruise get one free.This would be for all Inside cabins and select Ocean View.Everything sold on the ship would be buy one get one free including Specialty restaurants,the $10 watches that stop working five minutes after you leave the ship and tee shirts that shrink after the first washing.Included would be select Shore Excursions,select beverages .

Would your suggestion include a recommendation that they not double the fare before making the offer?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,it would .I did think of that .

You may want to look at the current bookings for both 2021 and especially 2022. For some lines (particularly premium/luxury/expedition), you will find that most popular itineraries are notated: "Wait List" "Wait List" "Wait List" "Wait List."

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Isn't this the business model that Viking used for years?

Why not consider a simpler approach - in stead of two for the price of one: how about just a simple half price sale?  For the same net revenue, the lines could attract many more cruisers - there are plenty out there who can’t afford two for the price of one (considering available vacation time as well as discretionary funds) but could easily afford one at half price - yielding at least the same return to the line.

• Like 1

Why?  Their cash problems are not going to be solved by selling air even at half price.  They need something to sell, namely cruising.  Multiple lines have repeatedly said that demand is not the issue that their current bookings have been solid, not strong but solid.  

19 hours ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

Isn't this the business model that Viking used for years?

We have only been tracking Viking Ocean for 4 years and have never experienced any of the points raised in the post you quoted:

• Never seen BOGO cruises, although they did have 2 for 1 deposits, when we booked our last cruise
  • The post you quoted mentioned Inside & Ocean View cabins, which don't exist on Viking, with the lowest being a balcony
  • BoGo Specialty Restaurants - again not even close, as both specialty restaurants are included in the base fare and you can use them as often as you want.
  • Didn't see any cheap watches or t-shirts aboard, and the quality jacket we received is still in mint condition

Not sure which Viking you are referring to, but both the current Viking Cruises and long departed Royal Viking Line are/were quality operations. 

On 11/16/2020 at 7:26 PM, neverbeenhere said:

I’m still waiting for the buy two cruises get two cruises deal. 

Haha.   Right now it is buy one and get a future cruise credit.  Kind of like  "Buy one, get none".   

On 11/15/2020 at 10:24 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I don't think cruse lines are going to have any problem filling ships.  The issue isn't demand.  It is the pandemic.  

BTW, I think I live in the same universe as you.   If it is an alternate one, I like it!  😀 

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I don't think cruse lines are going to have any problem filling ships.  The issue isn't demand.  It is the pandemic.  

BTW, I think I live in the same universe as you.   If it is an alternate one, I like it!  😀 

Great minds think alike😀

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2020 at 12:21 PM, Heidi13 said:

We have only been tracking Viking Ocean for 4 years and have never experienced any of the points raised in the post you quoted:

• Never seen BOGO cruises, although they did have 2 for 1 deposits, when we booked our last cruise
  • The post you quoted mentioned Inside & Ocean View cabins, which don't exist on Viking, with the lowest being a balcony
  • BoGo Specialty Restaurants - again not even close, as both specialty restaurants are included in the base fare and you can use them as often as you want.
  • Didn't see any cheap watches or t-shirts aboard, and the quality jacket we received is still in mint condition

Not sure which Viking you are referring to, but both the current Viking Cruises and long departed Royal Viking Line are/were quality operations. 

Not my intent to demean Viking's business model or integrity.  Merely stated a fact that Viking used this 2 for 1 business model for their river cruises.  Their oft sent brochures touted 2 for 1.  Hurry up and book now.  It was the standard joke on the river cruise board.  Don't know what your other points are.