Key Card vs Smart Technology

HarrietGF

Hello!

I read recently that some cruise lines will be discontinung use of the Key Card and going with Smart Phone technology as a way for passengers to access staterooms, shopping and dining, etc.  What about those of us who do not own Smart Phones, have no intention of buying one, and hold to the opinion that

carrying phones around all day carry more germs than hanging a plastic covered Key Card lanyard around one's neck.  Will we be required to own Smart Phones

as a prerequisite to purchasing a cruise?

Hello Mary, thank you for replying to my question.  The article I read doesn't specifically use the word "option" in its reference to the Smart technology.  Rather, it uses language like "can" and "encourages" with regard to using the Smart Phone.  The article came from a Cruise Critic news update.   I have to call NCL next week anyway as I am doing a lift-and-shift on monies currently held on two reservations    (moving paid-off  late-January 2021 Bahamas booking monies to a mid-August 2022 partially paid-off Alaska booking).   I'm going to run this Smart Phone question by the customer rep and try to find out more.  Maybe by 2022 some of these "permanent" changes will be history. 

Thanks again for your quick reply, Mary!  Happy and Safe future cruising!

Harriet

😷

June 2017

7-Day Bermuda From New York

NCL Breakaway

September 2018

5-Day Pacific Coastal From Vancouver BC

NCL Bliss

March 2019

7-Day Bahamas & Florida From New York

NCL Escape

December 2019

7-Day Hawaii Inter-Island From Honolulu

Pride of America

31 minutes ago, HarrietGF said:

Hello!

I read recently that some cruise lines will be discontinung use of the Key Card and going with Smart Phone technology as a way for passengers to access staterooms, shopping and dining, etc.  What about those of us who do not own Smart Phones, have no intention of buying one, and hold to the opinion that

carrying phones around all day carry more germs than hanging a plastic covered Key Card lanyard around one's neck.  Will we be required to own Smart Phones

as a prerequisite to purchasing a cruise?

Simple answer.  If a cruise line requires a smartphone,  look for a line that doesn't. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HarrietGF said:

Hello Mary, thank you for replying to my question.  The article I read doesn't specifically use the word "option" in its reference to the Smart technology.  Rather, it uses language like "can" and "encourages" with regard to using the Smart Phone.  The article came from a Cruise Critic news update.   I have to call NCL next week anyway as I am doing a lift-and-shift on monies currently held on two reservations    (moving paid-off  late-January 2021 Bahamas booking monies to a mid-August 2022 partially paid-off Alaska booking).   I'm going to run this Smart Phone question by the customer rep and try to find out more.  Maybe by 2022 some of these "permanent" changes will be history. 

A customer service rep can’t answer your question. They will basically tell you what you want to hear. In any case most people now have smart phones so the experience in the future will be geared to that. All the activities calendars  and reservations were on my smartphone last few cruises. They can open the door too but there will still be a guest relations desk or you will be able to read the cruise calendar and make reservations on you cabin TV or a kiosk in the main public area. There will still be door cards for those lacking tech for a while yet. I would say you might be missing out in the future cruise experience without a smartphone but it won’t be required.

Edited by Charles4515

I am loyal to NCL.  I travel solo more often than not and I love NCL's rates and solo studios.  I'd prefer staying with that line if possible.  I'm open to trying other lines, though, if caught between a rock and a hard place regarding the Smart technology.

3 minutes ago, HarrietGF said:

I am loyal to NCL.  I travel solo more often than not and I love NCL's rates and solo studios.  I'd prefer staying with that line if possible.  I'm open to trying other lines, though, if caught between a rock and a hard place regarding the Smart technology.

You shouldn't have to switch your line of choice because of a feature like that.   I'm sure the cruise lines will take the fact that not everyone has smart phones into consideration. 

• Like 3

I totally agree.... a phone is something you make phone calls on and you can send and receive a text message......

It is not just cruise line it is happening everywhere... and almost to point of not catering for anybody without a so called smart phone...

I like technology.... but it should not be forced on people....

Don

One other thing  a phone is not a camera 

( a lens 10mm or smaller in diameter you have to be joking )  

• Like 2

Hello Don, thanks for your point of view.  I don't get forced into things.  I'm almost 70 years old...😉

I agree with much of what you say.  Perhaps we are in the minority....?  In any case, I love cruising

and one way or another, I'll be aboard ship again..probably with mask, but surelywithout a Smart phone😷

Harriet

15 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I totally agree.... a phone is something you make phone calls on and you can send and receive a text message......

It is not just cruise line it is happening everywhere... and almost to point of not catering for anybody without a so called smart phone...

I like technology.... but it should not be forced on people....

Don

While I agree with most of your points but differ on the camera aspect....my iPhone is my camera also....no joke !

24 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Actually my phone takes better pix than my camera.

• Like 1

Sometimes circumstances force you forward.  And you find you are the better for it.  I am one who resisted for years.  I only got a portable phone over 20 years ago because I had to be on call.  It was not digital. Later moved to a digital phone, and eventually a flip phone.  I was determined not to learn to text.  But eventually I learned, and found it invaluable.  I finally moved to an iPhone four years ago,  and just upgraded six months ago.  I do so many more things with it than make phone calls.  And I do not use it for games.  I have a Fitbit, and walk daily.  I sync the Fitbit through the app and can trace my walks with gps to see how much more I need to make my five miles.  Oh, and I am 76-1/2.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Sometimes circumstances force you forward.  And you find you are the better for it.  I am one who resisted for years.  I only got a portable phone over 20 years ago because I had to be on call.  It was not digital. Later moved to a digital phone, and eventually a flip phone.  I was determined not to learn to text.  But eventually I learned, and found it invaluable.  I finally moved to an iPhone four years ago,  and just upgraded six months ago.  I do so many more things with it than make phone calls.  And I do not use it for games.  I have a Fitbit, and walk daily.  I sync the Fitbit through the app and can trace my walks with gps to see how much more I need to make my five miles.  Oh, and I am 76-1/2.  EM

If it makes your life better, that's great.  I don't need a Smart Phone.   I have 2 plain cell phones, both flips--I find flips more sanitary--they make calls, they take calls, they inform me of missed messages, give me the time/date/current temperature.  That's all I need.  I walk daily, too, and use a plain old-fashioned pedometer attached to a neck cord.  I don't trace my walks.  I'm just glad to still be alive and breathing to take walks.  You get a lot of perspective when you've beaten cancer...twice.  But I digress...

Just to clarify things......

I worked with computers for 25+ years   ( doing Robotic programming, NC programming, as well as 2-d Cad then 3-D Cad, along with a bit of systems Admin )

So I am well aware of the the world of ones and zeros

Have been a keen photographer most of my life..... got a small digital camera back in 2003  and finally in 2010 replace my 35mm with an SLR Digital.

And have embraced Bluray, surround sound. and 4k TV....

So  Smart phones    do not need to be that connected ( i have a mobile phone and a laptop ) 

On cruises do not take the lap top.... do check emails on the ship's computer if needed, and mobile phone lives in the safe...

And if you are happy with the quality of your photos from your phone, that is great, it saves you buying or taking a camera with you

For me I will take a real camera  to get the detail and large image.... but that is me....

I will not start of why does the fridge need to be connected to the internet

or the idea of smart TV.... mine is not connected to the internet....

Cheers Don

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

For me I will take a real camera  to get the detail and large image.... but that is me....

Here's from my phone on our Norwegian coastal cruise.

We have a SMART TV and use YouTube for our tv programs. Got rid of DirecTV and save $300/mo (two homes).

norway blue.jpg

2 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Simple answer.  If a cruise line requires a smartphone,  look for a line that doesn't. 

2 hours ago, HarrietGF said:

Harriet

😷

June 2017

7-Day Bermuda From New York

NCL Breakaway

September 2018

5-Day Pacific Coastal From Vancouver BC

NCL Bliss

March 2019

7-Day Bahamas & Florida From New York

NCL Escape

December 2019

7-Day Hawaii Inter-Island From Honolulu

Pride of America

"Encourages" means "optional."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clo said:

Here's from my phone on our Norwegian coastal cruise.

We have a SMART TV and use YouTube for our tv programs. Got rid of DirecTV and save $300/mo (two homes).

norway blue.jpg

Well I am glad you are happy with your photo   it look ok but on CC it is only 1200 x 900 pixels , I know they reduced the size when you up load it...

Watching your shows on You tube if you happy with that, 'that is great.

But we watch a lot of movies' mostly bluray 

with a good upscaling player on 65" 4K TV  as well as 5.1 surround sound...

which all in all  makes it a cinema like experience...

My point is a lot of people  take convenience over quality, now a days

in photos, music and movies....

and the bottom line is if you are happy with what you have that is fine...  

Which is interesting people are making movies to be watched on the big screen or home cinema, to enjoy the visual splendour and amazing sound

Yet so many people only see it on their smart phones / ipads...

So we are going forward and backwards at the same time

Just something to think about........  Don

• Like 1

Many hotels offer the smart phone key option...I am sitting in one right now. But NONE require it, and from my experience it's not highly effective. I typically end up with a key card, probably about 50 percent of the time.

It will be recommended on ships, not required. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Many hotels offer the smart phone key option...I am sitting in one right now. But NONE require it, and from my experience it's not highly effective. I typically end up with a key card, probably about 50 percent of the time.

It will be recommended on ships, not required. 

Agreed.  I was in a downtown San Fran Hilton last week and my digital key never worked.  Had to go with the key card all week.  

Some lines like Disney and RCI already have a wristband option.  I'm sure that's all this is with NCL...just an option.  

• Thanks 1

What about those of us who don't even carry an un-smart phone?  I'm sure it's extremely nice to be in contact with all your friends and acquaintances at all hours of the day; but it's not for me.

And there is nothing on the internet that is so good, it's worth paying twice for.  I can get internet at home; I can get it at virtually all hotels nowadays.  I don't need it when I'm out doing something else.

I'm 55.  If I was a bit paranoid, I would be worried about being locked down permanently when the smartphone devotees have their way.

(Incidentally, I was in a queue at the shop the other day when a lady's phone stopped working.  She couldn't pay for her shopping, she couldn't ring her husband, she couldn't book a taxi or pay for it when she got it.  Perhaps if you have one smartphone, you need two?  😉

But to answer the OP's question, cruise companies want to attract customers so they will not make policies that make it impossible for their customer base.  They might in their foolishness make policies that put off their customer base, but not to fully disenfranchise them.  You're OK for a good few years yet.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

32 minutes ago, dsrdsrdsr said:

What about those of us who don't even carry an un-smart phone?  I'm sure it's extremely nice to be in contact with all your friends and acquaintances at all hours of the day; but it's not for me.

The phone is just an electronic tool. You can not buy the internet package but still use the ship's app as needed. No need to connect with people or look at it all day. 

I went without any type of portable/wireless phone for 4 months at the end of 2017.  Didn't miss it at all.  That said, the virus is causing an exponential increase in technology, and a smartphone is essential to navigate and utilize the tech changes.

Some hotels and now a car model have used a smart phone for door security and unlocking.  A smart phone will probably make key fobs and card keys obsolete and do away with computer passwords.  There will be many more digital advances in health management such as vacinnation certification as discussed in another thread.

One needn't buy an elaborate $1,000 phone to cope with these changes.  Pressure your sales rep into buying the simplest version, I started by asking for a flip phone when returning to a wireless unit.  They don't make as much on the sale, but if you're adamant that you don't need all the bells and whistles, you can get a model that has a budget price, and perhaps you can save more if bundled with a computer and TV package.

Change is inevitable.  Some will not work, others will be tested and evolve into essential tools.  Our choice is to go with the flow or watch it go by.

• Like 1