If MSC charters out your Nov2021 cruise to a private party, what do they offer pax who paid a deposit?

drsel

If MSC charters out your Nov2021 cruise to a private party (not Covid related), what do they offer booked passengers to transfer their deposit to another cruise, instead of a full refund?

1. Double your deposit as FCC, like Princess?

2. 125% FCC like Royal C?

3. USD 600 OBC like Carnival?

I can't remember MSC doing a whole ship charter taking over an existing sailing.  The only common ones I know about are partial charters, the Holistic Holiday at Sea that's usually in late February or early March and the Jazzfest at Sea which is in early October, both are usually on Divina.  There are a number of other small charters you would probably not notice.  As David said MSC does not warn people there is a large partial charter group.

I seem to remember perhaps Seaside had an odd itinerary due to a full charter for a few days, then did a short sailing to fill out the rest of the week.  I don't think anyone was ever booked earlier and were cancelled.  I'd expect if MSC did get a full charter for an itinerary they were already booking MSC would cancel the bookings and refund the deposits or offer to move them to another date, most likely with some small OBC.

Edited by Até

21 hours ago, Até said:

I can't remember MSC doing a whole ship charter taking over an existing sailing.  The only common ones I know about are partial charters, the Holistic Holiday at Sea that's usually in late February or early March and the Jazzfest at Sea which is in early October, both are usually on Divina.  There are a number of other small charters you would probably not notice.  As David said MSC does not warn people there is a large partial charter group.

I seem to remember perhaps Seaside had an odd itinerary due to a full charter for a few days, then did a short sailing to fill out the rest of the week.  I don't think anyone was ever booked earlier and were cancelled.  I'd expect if MSC did get a full charter for an itinerary they were already booking MSC would cancel the bookings and refund the deposits or offer to move them to another date, most likely with some small OBC.

about 5 years ago, they did a full ship charter to Atlantis Events - this was on the Divina....

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2020 at 11:20 PM, sidari said:

Nothing from what I recall, in fact they from memory don't even tell people.

You are right.

They didnt inform me or my agent, but cancelled the 4  night cruise/sailing for ALL pax &  changed my booking to a 5 night sailing on another ship  a month earlier, without any cabin allotment.

Edited by drsel

23 hours ago, Até said:

MSC would cancel the bookings and refund the deposits or offer to move them to another date, most likely with some small OBC.

They cancelled the  4 night sailing for ALL pax, but didnt offer a refund, nor any OBC/FCC.

Instead they booked me on a 5 night sailing on another ship a month earlier.  Unusual.

My agent  asked MSC if I could get a FCC with some added benefits, like what Royal or Princess offer when they cancel sailings unilaterally.

But MSC declined any benefit, so I was forced to ask for a full refund of my deposit.

Edited by drsel

47 minutes ago, drsel said:

But MSC declined any benefit, so I was forced to ask for a full refund of my deposit.

Unfortunate, but not surprising.  But in my opinion it's good they made it a full charter and you were bumped, much better than being surprised by a large partial charter group.

Edited by Até

5 minutes ago, Até said:

Unfortunate, but not surprising.  But in my opinion it's good they made it a full charter and you were bumped, much better than being surprised by a large partial charter group.

That particular sailing is not available to book anymore

What makes me crazy with MSC is that they not only change people itineraries (all cruise lines do this), but they move people to entirely different dates, on entirely different ships, and with entirely different embarkation ports without ANY notification!  To me, this is just insane. I get it that things change (especially with Covid), but communication is seriously lacking. 

I'm glad they already refunded your deposit. In some cases, MSC is making guests wait more than a year for their money. 

On 11/18/2020 at 9:55 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

What makes me crazy with MSC is that they not only change people itineraries (all cruise lines do this), but they move people to entirely different dates, on entirely different ships, and with entirely different embarkation ports without ANY notification!  To me, this is just insane. I get it that things change (especially with Covid), but communication is seriously lacking. 

I'm glad they already refunded your deposit. In some cases, MSC is making guests wait more than a year for their money. 

my agent asked for a refund.

I have not yet received anything, it might take one or two months