N Z Government looks to minimise costs of tourism to New Zealand

Wonder how this may effect the cruise ship visits .?

Government looks to minimise costs of tourism to New Zealand

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/430795/government-looks-to-minimise-costs-of-tourism-to-new-zealanders

Nash said too often ratepayers and taxpayers have picked up the bill of the impact of tourism on infrastructure and the environment.

He said the full cost of tourism needs to be priced into the visitor experience.

"New Zealanders should not be subsidising international visitors to the extent that we have done in the recent past," he said.....

"Tourism in New Zealand will never return to how it was before Covid-19 dramatically affected us. New Zealanders expect a tourism sector that supports their communities and businesses.

1 minute ago, onlyslightlymad said:

He's not wrong.  We should be encouraging fewer tourists who bring a higher yield not tourists who cost us money.  I am not a fan of 'freedom camping".  It's not free, it's just that someone else pays.

I agree with your sentiment regarding travellers in small campervans without facilities. However, if a traveller is in a fully self-contained vehicle (shower and toilet and waste tanks) they are not a drain on a community they travel in. They have to buy fuel, food (including a few doughnuts and a bottle or two of wine) and other incidentals and pay to go into tourist attractions. If they hire a motorhome, the hire charge goes to a local company. Research shows that most travellers who 'freedom camp' don't do this seven nights a week. Most alternate between 'freedom camping' and caravan park stays, the percentage of each style of camping in a seven-day period varying with the individual.

Last year close to the end of the Cruise season that was, our city council was laying out a bunch of demands on the cruise industry. Mighty bold talk about how the city was getting negative return on the cruise visits. Fast forward to this year... the cruise season that wasn't. Oh oops wish we had those tourists. Downtown businesses down by up to 60%. As someone who has longed to travel to New Zealand for many years and spend my hard earned money there, sure is nice to know that I will be welcome there...or not. I really wouldn't want to be a burden to the fine folks there, being it seems that I cost New Zealand money when I spend my money there.

Well the campervan companies who rent their vans out to the backpackers and other tourists well might be hit with a govt tax, also govt may hit up the cruise companies for higher port taxes and taxes on tour operators and hotels. Plenty of avenues for the govt to pick up some revenue.

Pleased to see Govt aims to limit costs of tourism to New Zealanders.  

The days of cruise lines bullying countries to improve infrastructure to suit cruise ships have gone.  I suspect it will be more user pays in the future.  

For volume, They might want to consider independent travellers who spend all their money in NZ as well as high end travellers.  

14 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The days of cruise lines bullying countries to improve infrastructure to suit cruise ships have gone.  I suspect it will be more user pays in the future.  

For volume, They might want to consider independent travellers who spend all their money in NZ as well as high end travellers.  

I think the country (in this case NZ) makes a fair bit of money from cruise ship visits. The government charges port fees, the ships usually buy some fresh produce when in port and a large number of passengers take shore excursions run by local companies. Others who just go ashore to wander around, spend money in local shops, restaurants and coffee shops. The government need only do a survey of businesses in the ports to see how they are doing without cruise ships.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

It will be like Venice unfortunately.

Key West voters have voted to ban cruise ships carrying more than 1,300 passengers and they will limit the number of cruise passengers to 1,500 per day.

There will be towns, cities, countries around the world who will use this pandemic as a time to reassess their tourism sectors.

Their aim will be to try to provide a valued and sustainable tourism experience, aiming for  long staying and high yielding visitors as one of their priorities.

• Like 1

Do not forget that for everyone except Ozzies and NZ there is a visa Plus tourist tax which for a couple is $100 To assist with the damage to infrastructure we were told

Edited by windsor26
  • Haha 1

Interesting, we will have to wait and see.....

I understand where they are coming from....

But this statement

"We must attract high value and high spending visitors who buy into our own vision of sustainability. We must therefore deliver high quality visitor experiences and exceed our visitors expectations," he said.

I am sorry... but by the sound of that, no cruisers welcome....

Oh well   better cancel the NZ cruise.... which will mean for us could be good bye to cruising..........    

So back to the Spirit of Tassie......   if we are welcome there.....

Does this infer  if you have to ask how much you can't afford it....

Don

59 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Key West voters have voted to ban cruise ships carrying more than 1,300 passengers and they will limit the number of cruise passengers to 1,500 per day.

There will be towns, cities, countries around the world who will use this pandemic as a time to reassess their tourism sectors.

Their aim will be to try to provide a valued and sustainable tourism experience, aiming for  long staying and high yielding visitors as one of their priorities.

Good idea Key West voters. Too many cruise ship passengers at one time spoil the destination they came to experience.  Agree many places will now reassess what is best for tourism in their local communities.  

22 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

But this statement

"We must attract high value and high spending visitors who buy into our own vision of sustainability. We must therefore deliver high quality visitor experiences and exceed our visitors expectations," he said.

I would say "Good luck to them". You don't attract high value and high spending visitors just by wanting them. In addition, the statement (from the NZ government?) says the tourists have to subscribe to their vision of sustainability. That would be a another hurdle.

They could probably attract some high value and high spending tourists, but what do they do in the meantime? The rest of us aren't seen as having 'high value'.

51 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

The problem is when there are high volume low spend tourists who destroy the very attractions they are coming to see.

Where is this " high volume low spend" issue a problem? I just need to know so I can avoid that attraction.😉

I have visited NZ many times and look forward to being able to visit again, one day. 🤔

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

NZ wants high end tourists, so cruise shipwise, seabourn, sea dream, viking etc, the 5 and 6 star ships with the wealthy ones. not us working class plebs on Princess, p and o, carnival.

No No Uncle Les .You got the wrong end of the stick . The welcome mat is out for both .They are just saying that we don’t want free loaders,...and I don’t AUS does either .

I have been on a couple of “high end” cruises and a lot of the passengers have amassed their wealth by being very frugal .......and old habits are  hard to break.They buy very little .

Some tourists are even sought  for seasonal work

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/world/australia-attempts-to-pinch-kiwi-seasonal-workers-offering-2000-to-work-in-australia/

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

It would be interesting to know how many NZ visitors arrive by cruise ship compared to those who fly in and out. Cruise ship passengers are paying nothing for accommodation (except those who may do a few days pre or post cruise).

Just for some number on our last cruise to NZ  on 5 port days  we gave NZ

about $2000   for two of us   so $200 per person per day to small businesses

so if half the people on ship did this that is $200,000 per port  during the day

Well is that is chicken feed... can i be a chicken.... and think of small place like Akaroa  what that type of money means to them....

Just my thoughts......  Don 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

NZ Tourism Minister says they plan to ban the hiring of vans which are not self contained to tourists.

This would be a popular move amongst communities near popular tourist areas which have long had problems with "freedom campers" 

Won't be too many back packers hiring those 20 year old vans over in NZ anyway, from Europe, Asia, America or OZ with travel restrictions into the Shaky Isles.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Won't be too many back packers hiring those 20 year old vans over in NZ anyway, from Europe, Asia, America or OZ with travel restrictions into the Shaky Isles.

Apparently there are still over 10,000 backpackers in the country - though normally they'd be more than 70k. I was certainly served in them tourist towns on a quick weekend away last weekend 

28 minutes ago, lissie said:

Apparently there are still over 10,000 backpackers in the country - though normally they'd be more than 70k. I was certainly served in them tourist towns on a quick weekend away last weekend 

Have they been there since NZ closed in March?