Switching to All Inclusive

had booked a cruise for 2022 the other day. today, the ship had changed from Silhouette to Infinity, and the All Inclusive had started. rebooked from a VS to a C1, added the Elevate package (pay $168 get $200 pp shoreex) and ended up saving $1400. not sure if better pricing is from the ship change or the new All Inclusive but I'll take it. there is an option to make the booking refundable, it was $658 total for the booking. the other day the non-refundable pricing was about $2000 more. 

5 hours ago, dszrew said:

had booked a cruise for 2022 the other day. today, the ship had changed from Silhouette to Infinity, and the All Inclusive had started. rebooked from a VS to a C1, added the Elevate package (pay $168 get $200 pp shoreex) and ended up saving $1400. not sure if better pricing is from the ship change or the new All Inclusive but I'll take it. there is an option to make the booking refundable, it was $658 total for the booking. the other day the non-refundable pricing was about $2000 more. 

You must have been paying a lot at first.

Just looked at our sailing, 14 day round the Horn went to 12 day round the Horn.

Price more than doubled.  Caveat:  Refundable.  Will never book non-refundable again.  Once and done with that.

21 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

You must have been paying a lot at first.

Just looked at our sailing, 14 day round the Horn went to 12 day round the Horn.

Price more than doubled.  Caveat:  Refundable.  Will never book non-refundable again.  Once and done with that.

we are doing the Antactica trip. on average, they are more than the around the horn trips. I had priced it out back in October, then prices went up, so I went ahead and booked in case the All Inclusive made the prices go up even more. final payment isn't due for a full year still--I think we'll be cruising by 2022, but I figured I'd book and lock it in but have a full year to cancel. and I can still take advantage of the cancel within 48 hours for a FCC if I wanted to extend beyond final payment and still wasn't totally sure about going. 

1 hour ago, dszrew said:

we are doing the Antactica trip. on average, they are more than the around the horn trips. I had priced it out back in October, then prices went up, so I went ahead and booked in case the All Inclusive made the prices go up even more. final payment isn't due for a full year still--I think we'll be cruising by 2022, but I figured I'd book and lock it in but have a full year to cancel. and I can still take advantage of the cancel within 48 hours for a FCC if I wanted to extend beyond final payment and still wasn't totally sure about going. 

Got it.

Just a word of advice re: Antarctica.  Make sure you compare prices on Excursion Trips (if you are up to it--many prefer to watch from a distance).  We did a 12 day excursion on a brand new 400 pax ship (with only 200 aboard) for prices comparable to some of the Drive By prices on =X=.  Many are considerably more expensive, but if you can snag a deal as we did, the experience is totally different.  We did 13 landings while we were on the Peninsula. 

7 hours ago, dszrew said:

Why in the world is the title of this thread, "Switching to All Inclusive"?

Why are there some other threads that have "All Inclusive" in their titles?

Why does the opening post of this thread also include the words, "All Inclusive"?

Celebrity has NOT started anything named "All Inclusive."  Is the problem that these threads/posts are being created/written by people for whom English is not the "first language" -- so they don't know the meaning of the word, "All"?  That word means EVERYTHING, so every formerly optional item would have to be included in the new cruise fare.  Is that going to be the case in the future?  HECK, NO!!! 

Almost nothing that was formerly optional will be included -- not Spa/Salon services, not Specialty Restaurants, not Excursions, not Laundry, not "Premium" beverages, not Photographs, not [etc., etc., etc.] !!!

In fact, only TWO things that were formerly optional will be included (the lower level of Internet service ... and ... the lower level of beverage package).  That is why Celebrity is just using the term "ALWAYS Included" -- not "ALL-INCLUSIVE" !!!

Someone may object by saying that there is a third item now included in the cruise fare -- something that Celebrity now labels, "Tips" (formerly known widely as "Gratuities").   Three comments must be made about this:

(1) Why has no one here stopped to realize that, for most people in the past, this was NOT a "formerly optional" expense that they sometimes or often bypassed!  Only a small percentage of passengers went to "Guest Relations" and had the daily "Gratuities" removed.  Some folks tried to decrease the amount of Gratuities (because the service they received was not good enough), but they were told, "Sorry, pal, it's all or nothing!"

(2)  Now, by lumping the inaccurately labeled item ("Tips") into the pre-paid cruise fare, Celebrity is REFUSING to allow guests to decrease or remove any or all of the amount (as they could in the past).

(3)  Finally, in the English language, the words, "tip" and "gratuity," refer to something that is given by a consumer AFTER a service is rendered (not before) AND in accordance with the consumer's FREE-WILL desire to REWARD a job well done.  If a charge is FORCED upon a consumer/guest in advance, is not a free-will act, and cannot be reduced (or "backed out" fully), then that charge is NOT a "tip" or "gratuity"!!!  Why has no one mentioned this before now?  The very word, "gratuity," comes from the Latin word, "gratis," which means "free" (as in "free-will").  Therefore, what is now being forced on guests, in advance, is payment for a SERVICE CHARGE, which is NOT a "perk" or an "optional expense," but just a phony way to increase the cruise fare itself.  Let us not be naive about this!  The "X" corps are lying to us!

Celebrity has messed up this whole thing big-time, and it must make a "course correction" [no pun intended] as soon as possible.  Otherwise, MANY people (including "guess who" and other formerly loyal Elite-plus and Elite folks) will abandon them.

Stepping down off soapbox (with partial apologies to "dszrw" [the OP], who had to feel a bit too much of our wrath).

Edited by jg51
40 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Almost nothing that was formerly optional will be included -- not Spa/Salon services, not Specialty Restaurants, not Excursions, not Laundry, not "Pr

Um, you ever been to an all inclusive resort? I have. Many times. I've never had salon/spa, excursions or laundry included. So while the new program is not literally AI, it's close enough compared to its previous iterations on X. However, if you prefer that the whole world only uses the term "Always included", then I'm afraid you're in for continued angst.

I have no problem with Celebrity adding on tips (that's the word on the invoice now).  Too many people were stiffing the crew.  I met an otherwise nice woman once, who ate in the buffet always because she said she didn't want to pay gratuities as they were known then.  Who did she think cleared the tables in the buffet and kept the food replenished?  I was shocked, as the crew get paid peanuts and they depend on tips.

OTOH, I do have a problem with Celebrity adding on alcohol.  There are many people who cannot drink for one reason or another and it is patently not fair to make them contribute to the cost of alcohol consumed by others.

We first sailed with Celebrity in 1994 and for the past 21 years have not sailed with any other cruise line except for one river cruise.  We have 3 more booked.  After that, it's looking like Goodbye Celebrity.

4 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Got it.

Just a word of advice re: Antarctica.  Make sure you compare prices on Excursion Trips (if you are up to it--many prefer to watch from a distance).  We did a 12 day excursion on a brand new 400 pax ship (with only 200 aboard) for prices comparable to some of the Drive By prices on =X=.  Many are considerably more expensive, but if you can snag a deal as we did, the experience is totally different.  We did 13 landings while we were on the Peninsula. 

I had looked into some of those ships. so far all I could find was about 3x what Celebrity has. also not sure my wife would be up for the expedition excursions, so a "drive by" might be all we could hope for at this point. I still have a year before final payment to keep looking though!

3 minutes ago, dszrew said:

I had looked into some of those ships. so far all I could find was about 3x what Celebrity has. also not sure my wife would be up for the expedition excursions, so a "drive by" might be all we could hope for at this point. I still have a year before final payment to keep looking though!

Yes, they can be very expensive unless there is a deal.

And the only real advantage is if you have the desire to jump into zodiacs sometimes 2 or 3 times a day and hike over frozen ground.

But no matter what, you will absolutely love the scenery.  It is breathtaking from the ship.