What's Happening to Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line?

let's see if they actually come back. Scrapping the Celebration was clear as the no sail order keep getting extended further. Now their site is shutdown. Doubt they had the funds to stay afloat for a year without any business.

23 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

sad, I hate to see a business go under.

I agree because they offered a cruise product that filled a gap that existed with the other cruise companies.  

Let's be hopeful.  The market is still there, I think, once the pandemic is done.  Maybe not BPCL, but maybe another company will be willing to "try again" to tap this market.  

I don't believe I have enough knowledge of the finances of any cruise line to predict its demise.  If BPCC isn't on the rocks, this is a smart move to get rid of a ship that must be near its End of Life.  Granted, Grand Classica is only 5 years younger – but that's still 5 more years of life.  When cruising resumes, I'm sure there will be bargains available for a second ship that might be newer yet.

3 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I don't believe I have enough knowledge of the finances of any cruise line to predict its demise.  If BPCC isn't on the rocks, this is a smart move to get rid of a ship that must be near its End of Life.  Granted, Grand Classica is only 5 years younger – but that's still 5 more years of life.  When cruising resumes, I'm sure there will be bargains available for a second ship that might be newer yet.

You maybe right hopefully the Granda Classica can continue to sail but I could not locate her booking information months ago.

1 hour ago, gkbiiii said:

They should move the ship to Miami and do a more inclusive/longer trip, that gets a better clientele. I love Grand Classica and her crew: I wish them the very best!

There would need to be a change to their business plan for that to happen.  

A "better clientele"?  Would you care to define what those words mean?  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

There would need to be a change to their business plan for that to happen.  

A "better clientele"?  Would you care to define what those words mean?  

The non-Section 8 crowd, that cause more problems than ships of guests 3,000+.  People who spend money and support the line.  More actual gamblers, who's revenue out of Miami, would make BPL very profitable, if they would overnight in Nassau.

You are suggesting a totally different business model. Which might work and might be a different gap in the market, but not the gap BPCL wanted to fill in. They opted deliberately for the micro vacation from a cheap port, with the shortest sailing distance to the destination in order to save on fuel. In Europe this market is very very big, though often provided by overnight ferries, rather than cruise ships. Services like Stockholm - Helsinki, Stockholm - Tallinn, Rotterdam - Hull, Amsterdam - Newcastle, Oslo - Copenhagen, Kiel - Gothenborg and Kiel - Copenhagen carry mini-cruise passengers in addition to car passengers and even lorries. BPCL first ship was actually a European ferry formerly serving the Kiel - Copenhagen run for Color Line, so I'm guessing that's where they had the idea from. Your suggestion might be a good idea for further expansion though, if things get back to normal that. Although RCL and Carnival were already offering more and more 3-4 night cruises from Miami, so if BPCL wanted to go into that marked, they would have more competition than in their 'current' market.

I enjoy the idea of a two night cruise, It did meet a need for people like me who were on a trip to South Floridia and wanted to take a quick cruise. It was 4 years ago when we sailed but would hope to take another trip one day on the ship  The port of West Palm Beach is in a good location between Orlanda and Miami. I hope the cruise line will continue. 

On 11/23/2020 at 8:41 AM, Purvis1231 said:

I enjoy the idea of a two night cruise, It did meet a need for people like me who were on a trip to South Floridia and wanted to take a quick cruise. It was 4 years ago when we sailed but would hope to take another trip one day on the ship  The port of West Palm Beach is in a good location between Orlanda and Miami. I hope the cruise line will continue. 

There are many 3 night cruises out of Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale & Miami about the same price and even less with more to offer then their 2 night cruise. Many less than $200.00 Starting price. Examples; Carnival Conquest Miami Feb 5 $179.00pp MSC Feb 5th Miami $190.00pp

On 11/23/2020 at 8:41 AM, Purvis1231 said:

I enjoy the idea of a two night cruise, It did meet a need for people like me who were on a trip to South Floridia and wanted to take a quick cruise.

Your reasons are what attracted me to consider BPCL along with sailing on a ship and with a cruise line with which I had no experience.  Last Winter, I had already booked and enjoyed 3 cruises and could have worked in a 4th en route from the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area to Sanford in order to take the Auto Train North.  Now, I regret not having done so.  

3 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

There are many 3 night cruises out of Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale & Miami about the same price and even less with more to offer then their 2 night cruise. Many less than $200.00 Starting price. Examples; Carnival Conquest Miami Feb 5 $179.00pp MSC Feb 5th Miami $190.00pp

You are right, there are other options but when I sailed none were the price I paid. ($500 total for three people.) 

On 11/25/2020 at 10:45 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

There are many 3 night cruises out of Port Canaveral, Fort Lauderdale & Miami about the same price and even less with more to offer then their 2 night cruise.

While the base price might be close, at this price point the port fees/taxes can make a big diff - Palm Beach can be a lot lower than the other bigger ports.

On 11/29/2020 at 5:26 AM, Biker19 said:

While the base price might be close, at this price point the port fees/taxes can make a big diff - Palm Beach can be a lot lower than the other bigger ports.

Not that much difference and we are talking 3 days not 2 Typically the 3 day can also be Nassau and or Port Lucia and or their island which makes the cruise almost the same price for 3 days. A lot more to do and far better food.

Just checked. For an example MSC Seaside Port Canaveral 3 night inside starting price is $151.00pp plus the tax and port which will probably not be much more. It is going to Nassau and their island Ocean Cay. Parking will actually a bit more because of it being 3 days. More to do and enjoy.

9 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Just checked. For an example MSC Seaside Port Canaveral 3 night inside starting price is $151.00pp plus the tax and port which will probably not be much more. It is going to Nassau and their island Ocean Cay. Parking will actually a bit more because of it being 3 days. More to do and enjoy.

It is worth the price just to go to Ocean Cay.  The good thing is that the sail back is short enough to leave a late departure from OC.

On 11/22/2020 at 5:45 PM, gkbiiii said:

They should move the ship to Miami and do a more inclusive/longer trip, that gets a better clientele. I love Grand Classica and her crew: I wish them the very best!

I think that BPCL would get clobbered  in Miami by all the big players. They would need to offer a truly unique and competitive product. Right now, the major cruise lines are not too interested in BPCL, but if they came knocking on their door, they would squash them. It would be an even faster death. 

On 12/8/2020 at 8:54 AM, Tapi said:

I think that BPCL would get clobbered  in Miami by all the big players. They would need to offer a truly unique and competitive product. Right now, the major cruise lines are not too interested in BPCL, but if they came knocking on their door, they would squash them. It would be an even faster death. 

There is a market, I believe, for cruises from less congested ports like Miami.  Look at the success that Carnival and Royal Caribbean has had at Baltimore.  Norfolk has always puzzled me why it has not been able to successfully establish itself as a turnaround port.  Closer to the Atlantic than Baltimore with interesting sailing by the Norfolk Naval Base.  Parking is an issue, I think, maybe even air service into the city.  

I am unfamiliar with the Port of Palm Beach.  My only experiences there have been driving through the community on I-95.  But, it has to be a better experience of getting to the Port than getting to whatever terminal one has to arrive after entering the Port of Miami.    

Also remember BPCL also offers options to stay at resorts in the Bahamas.  Like somebody mentioned, it would be more like an overnight ferry in that case.  And now that they are going to Nassau, there are the other huge resorts.  I just did the out and back but I like the option of stay a few nights in the Bahamas and returning on a cruise ship.  

I know Europe had a hop on/off cruise line going for a few years (EasyCruise?).

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

There is a market, I believe, for cruises from less congested ports like Miami.  Look at the success that Carnival and Royal Caribbean has had at Baltimore.  Norfolk has always puzzled me why it has not been able to successfully establish itself as a turnaround port.    

I've always thought that, if Savannah, GA had a cruise terminal, it would be a successful port of embarkation. Not only is it a wonderful city for a pre/post cruise stay, but it would draw a lot of business from the Atlanta metro area and its 6 million people. Many of us cruise enthusiasts who live in the Atlanta area will drive 7 hours to Port Canaveral to get on a cruise. 3 hours to Savannah would be a dream.

We do have other options like Mobile, Jacksonville and Charleston, all within 4-6 hours, but they are all served by just one cruise line, and I've already done all of them. New options would be welcome. 

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

I've always thought that, if Savannah, GA had a cruise terminal, it would be a successful port of embarkation. Not only is it a wonderful city for a pre/post cruise stay, but it would draw a lot of business from the Atlanta metro area and its 6 million people. Many of us cruise enthusiasts who live in the Atlanta area will drive 7 hours to Port Canaveral to get on a cruise. 3 hours to Savannah would be a dream.

We do have other options like Mobile, Jacksonville and Charleston, all within 4-6 hours, but they are all served by just one cruise line, and I've already done all of them. New options would be welcome. 

The further a port is from the Bahamas the more the cruise will cost.