What's Happening to Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line?

3 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

Also, there as not been a post on their Facebook page since Nov. 11th.

No surprise, with the unattainable CDC guidelines for cruise ships.  Even the big 3 are struggling with the mandates.

As we move closer to resumption of sailing in the next few months, we wanted to provide a status update as to our plans. 

The situation with COVID is very fluid and seemingly changes daily. We are following the direction of CDC and are in communication with them every week to better align and understand the requirements. You may recall that last year Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line was the first to earn ‘green light’ status for our crew. Those initiatives remain in place and we are following any and all new requirements put in place by CDC. 

Our business model remains the same, offering short cruises to a familiar destination (Grand Bahama), which is close to home. We believe this model will only further resonate with consumers during the age of COVID. . 

We are building toward a resumption of sailing just as soon as we can and when it is safe to do so. It is difficult to plan in this fluid environment, however behind the scenes we are using the time to upgrade our website and booking engine. The new website will have a more refined look and will be more user-friendly. The new booking engine will deliver a better user experience and will include the capability to book Cruise & Stay online.   

We look forward to working with you again soon! As always, our commitment to the travel advisor community remains unwavering. 

Please feel free to reach out to us by replying to this email or at sales@cruisebp.com with any questions, ideas or concerns you may have. 

Best Regards,     

31 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

We look forward to working with you again soon! As always, our commitment to the travel advisor community remains unwavering. 

I find this statement interesting because of an attempt that I made in 2019 to book a cruise on BPCL through my travel agent that works with an experienced cruise oriented travel agency.  She was unable to do so.  According to what I learned, BPCL would not accept bookings by a travel agency.  One had to book directly with them.  

Has the "tune" changed as "times" have changed?  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I find this statement interesting because of an attempt that I made in 2019 to book a cruise on BPCL through my travel agent that works with an experienced cruise oriented travel agency.  She was unable to do so.  According to what I learned, BPCL would not accept bookings by a travel agency.  One had to book directly with them.  

Has the "tune" changed as "times" have changed?  

Travel Agents work on commission. A friend who is a TA on a major booking company said that her agency has no means of booking a client on this line, except by phone.  She was unaware whether booking by phone for a client would result in any commission for her.  A cruise on this line would be worth a few dollars in commission - if at all. BCPL is made for online cruise bookings by passengers. Its margins are so thin that it needs to keep commission for itself.  It is like booking air on Spirit - there is nothing for the TA, unless it is part of a larger booking with good commissions.

On 2/5/2021 at 8:00 PM, mainelycruising said:

would result in any commission for her.  

No commission issue was what I "read between the lines" from what I heard from Mary.  Surely, I understand that was a major consideration.  Perhaps, if the Company is able to continue, some thought might be given to this issue.  

Some of us still prefer to book with a travel professional and not directly with the cruise company.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 8:00 PM, mainelycruising said:

Travel Agents work on commission. A friend who is a TA on a major booking company said that her agency has no means of booking a client on this line, except by phone.  She was unaware whether booking by phone for a client would result in any commission for her.  A cruise on this line would be worth a few dollars in commission - if at all. BCPL is made for online cruise bookings by passengers. Its margins are so thin that it needs to keep commission for itself.  It is like booking air on Spirit - there is nothing for the TA, unless it is part of a larger booking with good commissions.

Wasn't that the policy (or at least a cap on commissions),  that helped kill Renaissance Cruise Line?

4 hours ago, bob brown said:

Wasn't that the policy (or at least a cap on commissions),  that helped kill Renaissance Cruise Line?

Renaissance built 8 identical ships (~100 pax) in the 1990s and did so well with their no-smoking, no-travel-agents policy that they were able to use them as collateral to build 8 much larger (~700 pax) ships at the end of the decade.  What killed them was 9/11, pure and simple.

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

What killed them was 9/11, pure and simple.

Wikipedia agrees with your statement.  

However, I was also of the same thinking of bob brown that their commission structure--or the lack thereof--also played a role in the demise of the company.  Another example that this senior citizen continues to learn!

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Wikipedia agrees with your statement.  

However, I was also of the same thinking of bob brown that their commission structure--or the lack thereof--also played a role in the demise of the company.  Another example that this senior citizen continues to learn!

They're not unrelated.  When 9/11 dried up all desire to travel, it was TAs that helped get it going again – and Renaissance didn't have their help.  But it was being over-leveraged that really did them in.