The Daily for Wednesday Nov 18, 2020

I have been reading the Daily threads for about two weeks.  I want to thank Rich and Roy for their "thread starts" and all of the regular contributors for making such a pleasant thread.  I'm starting to feel like I know all of you.

6 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

I have been reading the Daily threads for about two weeks.  I want to thank Rich and Roy for their "thread starts" and all of the regular contributors for making such a pleasant thread.  I'm starting to feel like I know all of you.

Welcome to the Daily!

Good morning all!  I think this is the first time I've made it onto the first page of the Daily.  Being on the West Coast on "Retired Time" I usually don't get here until well into the 2nd page.  😉  (edited to say that while I was typing, I slipped to the second page!) 

Mickey Mouse always makes me think of our DDIL who is an Imagineer at Disney in LA.  She always says she works for "The Mouse" lol.  Thinking of her even more lately, with Disney's layoffs, furloughs and not opening in the foreseeable future!  So far she has escaped any layoffs and is working from home, but I worry.

Dinner today will most likely be take-out of some kind, since we'll be making our weekly visit to the grandkids this afternoon and home too late to cook (my excuse anyway). 😆 

Like most others, our Christmas will be very different this year.  We'll be at our DD's house but outside bundled up around the firepit.  Even though it's just the 6 of us, with DSIL in the medical field he's being extra careful with us.  It will probably be just long enough for some snacks, egg nog and presents -- so different, but at least we'll see them that day.  

Stay warm, healthy and positive!

Edited by Cruising-along
8 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

Welcome to the Daily 🙂 

15 minutes ago, lcand1923 said:

Welcome Aboard!

Roy

Good morning all, and thanks to Rich and Roy hosting The Daily!  Welcome to the newcomers to the party.

😁 .  Our PM ( I think it was) said yesterday he hopes to have the country vaccinated to COVID by the end of next year, but I worry - what if the immunity only lasts 6 months?

The Christmas lights are sitting in the dining room waiting for me to attend to them.  I'll put them out on a dry day, but probably won't turn them on until December.  Thinking about Christmas, everyone will want one of these:

IMG-20201113-WA0002.thumb.jpg.eb72b319f3d6a6b2dfc56e256e6ab06a.jpg

There is a poll every evening on our local TV news and last night the question was "Should we increase the restrictions on the Island?"  and 85% said yes.  There were 16 new cases - not a lot, but we had just been doing 3 or 4 for a long time.

11 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Deeni, luckily you said a family of one "child" because you also have 2 sisters in the family who love you very much.❤️

🌺Oh Joy!!! Ditto back at you! I FORGOT ❤️ keep healthy in the great state of Texas and I certainly will here in California! Also our Ann will do the same in Florida🌺

Denise😊

I  love that T-shirt!!!!!

Lovely weather here today. I am going to make it a point to get out for several walks with and without dogs. Otherwise, just the usual house cleaning.

My niece's husband has been moved to ICU. Have not heard anything since yesterday. Hoping no news is good news. Everyone else waiting on further testing. No family gatherings of any size for us. My nephew in Ohio who usually visits with my Sister for holidays is staying put. We will make use of Zoom and the  telephone.

We are thinking of a major family reunion when all this is over.

Susan

Good day, everyone!  Think I just put on 5 lbs. just looking at those rolls!  Nice picture.  After living in Florida for 19 years, I obviously can relate to the "Mouse!" as it was called in Orlando.  Mickey has brought so much joy to so many people down thru the years!

Sounds like our friends in Canada aren't faring much better than those in the US, as far as the virus goes.  Like the T-shirt, as it pretty well tells the tale of 2020!

I am still on the fence about Thanksgiving with my step-daughter and her family.  Guess it can be a last minute decision.  Our county will go on the last phase before total lockdown on Friday.  Our schools have been in person, but now most of the middle schools and all of the high schools are now virtual till after Thanksgiving.

Prayers for all on the care list.  Also prayers for a vaccine, and a reduction in virus cases!  Happy days for those on the "happy" list.

13 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

Sounds like our friends in Canada aren't faring much better than those in the US, as far as the virus goes.  Like the T-shirt, as it pretty well tells the tale of 2020!

We are faring better than the U.S. for the time being but the problem is now, many provinces are seeing huge surges.

Part of the blame (a fairly big part) is being placed on Thanksgiving and family gatherings (ours is earlier than yours) so everyone in the United States has a fair warning what can happen with people getting together at Thanksgiving.

So far, things are pretty good in the Atlantic Bubble but moves are being made to deter Christmas gatherings and people entering from outside the Bubble to prevent the transmission of the virus.

Hopefully restrictions will help to reduce cases here.  Europe’s are starting to go down which is really good news.

1 hour ago, lcand1923 said:

Welcome to posting to the Daily!

Good morning, all! There is some apple cider from a craft cider in the Okanagan in the pantry, so Apple Cider Day for the win! The quote is so accurate. Prying anything out of a baby’s fingers is not a job for the weak!

Its alarming to watch the rising numbers on both sides of the border. I’m especially distressed at the number of our Dailyites being affected now. Thanksgiving did us no favours that way in Canada. I fear that Thanksgiving has taken away Christmas for us. There’s still hope for the US to learn from our terrible example, but I doubt it will happen. We are currently not allowed to gather with ANYONE outside our immediate household at this time. 
The family gathering for Christmas will have to wait for another year.

Stay safe, everyone!

3A477B1A-5522-4548-A9B4-BB57B4E34E56.png

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Ok today’s combo of days to celebrate runs the entire gamut! I bet you are just grinning! 

Welcome to posting on the Daily @Roger88

Thank you for our lists, Roy. I appreciate that you included @Dismomx5for her service! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Another red, but an intriguing one!

Great quote. I will tuck the meal away for the future. Skipping the drink - I agree @summer slope- raw egg white. Ick!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all we are celebrating.

Stay well everyone. The next few months are critical. 

This red from Basilicata, Italy has great ratings, and a price that starts in the low $20 range. No winemaker notes, so I have included two reviews. I bet you would all like to try wine made with grapes from the “Vulture Volcano”! Wonder what “racy on the finish” with a “dark and brooding personality“ mean?

#85 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

WS92

Wine Spectator: A fresh and elegant red, medium- to full-bodied, featuring supple tannins finely meshed with flavors of crushed black cherry fruit and a core of smoke-tinged mineral, with delicate tea leaf and star anise accents. Long and racy on the finish. Drink now through 2029.
RP92
Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: Late-ripening Aglianico from the Vulture volcano in Basilicata does very nicely in the warmer vintages, such as 2015. The high elevations and cool summer breezes always keep this magical and little-known spot in Southern Italy much cooler than you would expect. The 2015 Aglianico del Vulture Arberesko offers a dark and brooding personality. The wine takes a little while to open, but once it does it becomes suddenly exuberant, opulent and redolent of chewy dark fruit.

Can’t help thinking this may be the perfect wine for 2020!  

1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

Here are the sweet rolls Mitzi made yesterday. Apple butter (our homemade) on the inside and gooey pecans on top. 

20201117_134902.thumb.jpg.3e557ddf081cd1d173efc0854f58fc2a.jpg

20201117_150259.thumb.jpg.042521a0be661efc992a88774ecca5ca.jpg

We were supposed to be in Saint Kitts today -

image.thumb.png.4ec785af2f2c2e5d45c733b420ce8818.png

Sorry I can’t find the drool button!  

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!  I think this is the first time I've made it onto the first page of the Daily.  Being on the West Coast on "Retired Time" I usually don't get here until well into the 2nd page.  😉  (edited to say that while I was typing, I slipped to the second page!) 

Mickey Mouse always makes me think of our DDIL who is an Imagineer at Disney in LA.  She always says she works for "The Mouse" lol.  Thinking of her even more lately, with Disney's layoffs, furloughs and not opening in the foreseeable future!  So far she has escaped any layoffs and is working from home, but I worry.

Dinner today will most likely be take-out of some kind, since we'll be making our weekly visit to the grandkids this afternoon and home too late to cook (my excuse anyway). 😆 

Like most others, our Christmas will be very different this year.  We'll be at our DD's house but outside bundled up around the firepit.  Even though it's just the 6 of us, with DSIL in the medical field he's being extra careful with us.  It will probably be just long enough for some snacks, egg nog and presents -- so different, but at least we'll see them that day.  

Stay warm, healthy and positive!

We’re looking for alternatives too.   I think if we can be creative, it can be fun.   The essence is sharing time with family.   We just need to pare it down.   Our best Christmas dinner ever was left over spaghetti,  the year our granddaughter was born Christmas Eve.   Though now we need to find a safe way to celebrate that too,  but our weather may or may not cooperate 🥶

So much to read and  react to today.  Good morning and thanks Rich, Roy et al. 

I think it’s that ancient curse,  may you live in interesting times,  I would like to try boring.  

Our Alberta numbers are nasty,   We enviously look at BC who has locked down with less than our numbers.   And the maritimes who have kept this under control.  

Speaking of taking candy from a baby,  the Norwegian sculptor Vigeland apparently did just that.image.jpeg.dd5ac6d7c28b0e6c2f904ec5306ae47c.jpeg  

13 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We’re looking for alternatives too.   I think if we can be creative, it can be fun.   The essence is sharing time with family.   We just need to pare it down.   Our best Christmas dinner ever was left over spaghetti,  the year our granddaughter was born Christmas Eve.   Though now we need to find a safe way to celebrate that too,  but our weather may or may not cooperate 🥶

And I know you have a bigger problem with weather than we do!  It will be cold (and most likely wet in some form) but I plan to dress for it.  

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Note to the Americans - (we should have been told this before our Thanksgiving in October!)

image.png.53463a6dc27145c8e5fd5efa0afe323a.png

Funny, it's the first thing I thought about when our governor made the latest ruling less than 2 weeks before our Thanksgiving --- what about all those huge turkeys people have in their freezers???