Jump to content

Changes Announced for Captain's Club Member Benefits


Recommended Posts

As someone who, in 60 cruises, has cruised in everything from inside cabins to major suites, I have a different take on whether ANYONE is subsidizing anyone.  The answer, to any material amount is NO.  Yes, some people get a few more perks than others:  Suites get a lot of extras, Captains Club members, depending on status, get a few extras...but, really, none of those extras mean any cost to Celebrity which constitutes a material percentage of cruise fares.  A few free well drinks or free laundry or a bag or two of laundry or some free internet minutes or that tiny scoop of gelato cost them pennies compared to the thousands of dollars of fares.

 

So, then, you get to the fares themselves.  People in Suites pay a lot more...but they got a lot more.  Having spent most of my career in real estate law, I can relate cruise fares to rent on land.  Square footage is worth money.  If your suite takes up four times the real estate of someone else's stateroom, it should cost at least four times the price--because, if it didn't, the cruise lines would take out the suites and replace them with four verandah cabins. After that, you pay more for amenities--a view is worth more than no view, a balcony is worth more than no balcony.  A property with more amenities takes in more rent than one with few or no amenities.  And, overall, it is really "supply and demand".  Every cabin is only worth what people are willing to pay for that cabin. And that IS why you are paying whatever you are paying for your cabin--NOT that you are subsidizing anyone.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Celebrity is reinventing their image.  All inclusive costs more. That should increase profits if ships sail full.   Celebrity prices are increasing.  Captains club benefits are decreasing.  If and when the ships sail again, Celebrity will attract a different demographic. So much for being elite plus.  Getting a vibe that doesn’t sit well.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Sounds like Celebrity is reinventing their image.  All inclusive costs more. That should increase profits if ships sail full.   Celebrity prices are increasing.  Captains club benefits are decreasing.  If and when the ships sail again, Celebrity will attract a different demographic. So much for being elite plus.  Getting a vibe that doesn’t sit well.  

I agree.  Celebrity is pricing me out of their market.  🍷

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is simply called "marketing."  In essence, making you believe that you are getting more for the much higher cost.  We all know that cruise lines will need to increase prices significantly to recover the losses from the pandemic, to remake ships so they are COVID-19 "safer," to cruise with smaller numbers of passengers.  So Celebrity gets their "B" school hatreds tother and comes up with a fantasy they hope will sell and entice you to pay significantly more for the same cabin and level of service.  Businesses do this all the time.  Its disingenuous fort he customer, but it works as many take the bait.  For us, we like Celebrity's ships and environment.  However, I will not pay extravagant prices for the same level of experience pre-pandemic.  I didnt cause the pandemic nor did I cause Celebrity's financial losses.  "All inclusive" is basically bs, nothing more.  Moving to Princes's new ships (Solstice equivalent) for a better experience and half the cost.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves
Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit off-topic, but I noticed that a couple of people quoted my post and I have a few ugly grammar errors in it (mostly from being in a hurry and changing some sentences from "I" to "we" and not updating everything in the sentence).  Just wanted you to know that "we was" is not the way I normally write a sentence. How embarrassing!  🙃  I didn't notice it until the "window of editing" had passed.

 

- Laurie

Edited by SunsetPoint
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SunsetPoint said:

A bit off-topic, but I noticed that a couple of people quoted my post and I have a few ugly grammar errors in it (mostly from being in a hurry and changing some sentences from "I" to "we" and not updating everything in the sentence).  Just wanted you to know that "we was" is not the way I normally write a sentence. How embarrassing!  🙃 - Laurie

I blame mine on "auto correct."

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SunsetPoint said:

A bit off-topic, but I noticed that a couple of people quoted my post and I have a few ugly grammar errors in it (mostly from being in a hurry and changing some sentences from "I" to "we" and not updating everything in the sentence).  Just wanted you to know that "we was" is not the way I normally write a sentence. How embarrassing!  🙃  I didn't notice it until the "window of editing" had passed.

 

- Laurie

All is forgiven!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

This is simply called "marketing."  In essence, making you believe that you are getting more for the much higher cost.  We all know that cruise lines will need to increase prices significantly to recover the losses from the pandemic, to remake ships so they are COVID-19 "safer," to cruise with smaller numbers of passengers.  So Celebrity gets their "B" school hatreds tother and comes up with a fantasy they hope will sell and entice you to pay significantly more for the same cabin and level of service.  Businesses do this all the time.  Its disingenuous fort he customer, but it works as many take the bait.  For us, we like Celebrity's ships and environment.  However, I will not pay extravagant prices for the same level of experience pre-pandemic.  I didnt cause the pandemic nor did I cause Celebrity's financial losses.  "All inclusive" is basically bs, nothing more.  Moving to Princes's new ships (Solstice equivalent) for a better experience and half the cost.

Although I agree that Always Included includes more (actually less than the very popular top level  of 123 or BBB), it is still a long way from “All inclusive)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

This is simply called "marketing."  In essence, making you believe that you are getting more for the much higher cost.  We all know that cruise lines will need to increase prices significantly to recover the losses from the pandemic, to remake ships so they are COVID-19 "safer," to cruise with smaller numbers of passengers.  So Celebrity gets their "B" school hatreds tother and comes up with a fantasy they hope will sell and entice you to pay significantly more for the same cabin and level of service.  Businesses do this all the time.  Its disingenuous fort he customer, but it works as many take the bait.  For us, we like Celebrity's ships and environment.  However, I will not pay extravagant prices for the same level of experience pre-pandemic.  I didnt cause the pandemic nor did I cause Celebrity's financial losses.  "All inclusive" is basically bs, nothing more.  Moving to Princes's new ships (Solstice equivalent) for a better experience and half the cost.

Thank you for your spot on post.

This speaks to the ages old principle - there is a sucker born every minute.

Businesses are required to maximize profit as close to the legal limit as possible.

I do not believe Celebrity for a second and I assume they are trying to give me the least product for the highest price, Celebrity and every other company.

It is up to the individual consumer to protect themselves mostly with some assistance from government, credit card companies etc.

Actually the higher prices on Celebrity will be for lesser product and service.

Not interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

Actually the higher prices on Celebrity will be for lesser product and service.

Not interested.

Me neither.  It always annoys me that companies think their customers won't notice lesser product.  Ever notice toilet paper recently?  It's getting so narrow we'll soon be able to use it for streamers!  Similarly, big boxes of stuff 3/4 full.  Do they think we're idiots and that we don't realize we have an option?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought, for those with some Celebrity "status" but not happy with the AI concept:  Get out your proof of Captain's Club status, and apply for status match with MSC.

Benefits are not the same, but worth exploring.  We loved our MSC cruises, and hope to do many more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Just a thought, for those with some Celebrity "status" but not happy with the AI concept:  Get out your proof of Captain's Club status, and apply for status match with MSC.

Benefits are not the same, but worth exploring.  We loved our MSC cruises, and hope to do many more.

Is MSC the only cruise line that matches status with Celebrity?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

 

I thought it was for your first sail only?  No? 

 

Azamara matches status and co earns.  RC lets you be Diamond. but not matched.

 

The MSC status match remains valid as long as one cruises at least once every three years.  Even if you earned your status by cruising on MSC, you must cruise at least once every three years to keep it valid.  Otherwise it goes poof.

 

I think the MSC Yacht Club product beats the Celebrity suite product hands down, with the possible exception of the food.  Not that it's bad on MSC, just that it's better in Luminae.  The price difference is incredible.  I would not want to sail in a regular cabin on MSC however.  The rest of the ship is way too big and too crowded and too full of screaming kids.

Edited by Happy Cruiser 6143
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Celebrity has priced you out of their cruises by being all inclusive, you can sail with other cruise lines.   Many lines offer a cheaper product and they may be within your budget.    All travel programs are consistently changed and never in your favor so we might as well get used to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Wine-O said:

I agree.  Celebrity is pricing me out of their market.  🍷

Celebrity did a decent cruise in the mass market.  I can see some Celebrity cruisers finding other cruise options.  When you do the math, if I pay more I want a more luxurious cruise.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

If Celebrity has priced you out of their cruises by being all inclusive, you can sail with other cruise lines.   Many lines offer a cheaper product and they may be within your budget.    All travel programs are consistently changed and never in your favor so we might as well get used to it.

Not really the issue.  In this case Celebrity is obfuscating their price increases by "hiding" the nearly double price from before the pandemic in "all inclusive" and pretending that they are offering a much improved product.  It's really the same old product, maybe even less...with added all you can drink.  NOT what we are looking for in cruise.  Celebrity is showing they believe we are all dumber than dirt and won't notice.  We know they have to raise prices because of the huge losses during the pandemic.  Be up front and tell us that...  Price increases do to xxxx.  Less service here because of the changes to manage COVID.  Celebrity is being disingenuous with the passengers it really needs to recover.  Be truthful and we will be back.  Treat us like dirt and we won't.  Will find another cruise line that care for its heritage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Not really the issue.  In this case Celebrity is obfuscating their price increases by "hiding" the nearly double price from before the pandemic in "all inclusive" and pretending that they are offering a much improved product.  It's really the same old product, maybe even less...with added all you can drink.  NOT what we are looking for in cruise.  Celebrity is showing they believe we are all dumber than dirt and won't notice.  We know they have to raise prices because of the huge losses during the pandemic.  Be up front and tell us that...  Price increases do to xxxx.  Less service here because of the changes to manage COVID.  Celebrity is being disingenuous with the passengers it really needs to recover.  Be truthful and we will be back.  Treat us like dirt and we won't.  Will find another cruise line that care for its heritage.

and I thought I was mad when my local coffee shop raised the price of my iced cold brew coffee from $4.50 to $5.00...I still leave a tip though

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

and I thought I was mad when my local coffee shop raised the price of my iced cold brew coffee from $4.50 to $5.00

 

And would you still frequent if they had raised it to $9.00?   That's the reality here at least in my case averaged over 8 reservations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

 

And would you still frequent if they had raised it to $9.00?   That's the reality here at least in my case averaged over 8 reservations. 

Yikes, now that would be steep, glad I live in Boston not NYC!  The answer is NO, I would not pay that though.  I get it where you are coming from.  Perhaps because I don't cruise as frequently as some, avg 2 weeks/year, but I love Celebrity and for the times I cruise, my vaca has ALWAYS been fantastic, so I will pay as long as I feel I am getting bang for my buck, and thus far, that is how I feel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2020 at 10:49 AM, TeeRick said:

Phil, I routinely stay in suites.  I can assure you that this thought has never entered my mind at least.  Many of my Elite+ benefits are not used by me when I sail in a suite.  So what?  I really don't care.  Not sure why there is so much focus here on CC on what others get and don't get.  

Ditto, we haven’t used the Elite+ perks for quite some time.  Perhaps the internet minutes on occasion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

 

The MSC status match remains valid as long as one cruises at least once every three years.  Even if you earned your status by cruising on MSC, you must cruise at least once every three years to keep it valid.  Otherwise it goes poof.

 

I think the MSC Yacht Club product beats the Celebrity suite product hands down, with the possible exception of the food.  Not that it's bad on MSC, just that it's better in Luminae.  The price difference is incredible.  I would not want to sail in a regular cabin on MSC however.  The rest of the ship is way too big and too crowded and too full of screaming kids.

We sailed on MSC Seaside in a non-Yacht Club cabin, and had a wonderful experience.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a response letter to an individual on FB.  Celebrity stated that they will be additional benefits added to the CC program in the future after the AI bookings are fully implemented.  For some time there will be a mix of older bookings (without AI) and newer AI bookings.  I read that to mean that they do not wish to improve a lot of extra benefits until everyone is on the AI program.

 

I also believe some of the changes are temporary due to COVID protocols.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising.co.uk
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...