Jump to content

Dining room.....wonder what that will be like???


Kelownabccan
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

 

What are QR codes?  I didn't see an explanation in the article.

 

It's basically a machine readable barcode.  You put your smartphone in camera mode and hold it in front of the QR code.  Used in restaurants, it automatically links to a webpage showing the menu.  It looks like this:

 

image.png.0440fc0fbad3004cea38679d270534b9.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2020 at 4:37 AM, KirkNC said:

I think dining will be a real struggle especially during the earlier part of the restart.  One thing I have heard is they will encourage room service dining.  That’s great if you have a suite but not so much for many.  I wonder if they will assign times and places to control dining.  Your week might be 2 room service, 2 Lido, 2 dining room (at a specific time) and one specialty restaurant.  Toward the end of 2021 this should ease up as the impact of vaccines begin.

 

That sounds interesting.  I would do that!  I was thinking about signing up for Club Orange if we're on a ship which has it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

I would prefer to have a disposable paper version.  At the end of the day, virus transmission via something like a menu would be very small.  It’s people exhaled breath that get you.

 

I am starting to read reports that are downplaying the chances of getting Covid by touching surfaces.  By typing this, I am not suggesting that hand washing and disinfecting surfaces ought not to be done.  They should be done!  Like you, I would prefer a disposable paper menu rather than some kind of electronic gadget.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

I am starting to read reports that are downplaying the chances of getting Covid by touching surfaces.  By typing this, I am not suggesting that hand washing and disinfecting surfaces ought not to be done.  They should be done!  Like you, I would prefer a disposable paper menu rather than some kind of electronic gadget.  

Exact same thing I am seeing.  On the news a few nights ago, one of the doctors said touching a surface may expose you too a few hundred virus germs where exhaled breath from an infected person has tens of thousands.  Still possible to get it from the surface but not near as likely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2020 at 2:09 PM, KirkNC said:

I would prefer to have a disposable paper version.  At the end of the day, virus transmission via something like a menu would be very small.  It’s people exhaled breath that get you.

Same here. They are already pretty disposable as I would doubt they get re-used from cruise to cruise, so they would just have to print out more each day to accommodate single use.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My goodness....what an interesting thread I created.....shows lots of us still want to eat...haha......I do not care how the menu is presented I just  want to get on with life.....sucks being stuck at home and no dinner parties with our friends....a cruise is just what the doctor ordered....lol......locked down in BC

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disposable menus? QR Codes? This discussion reminds me of a favorite (but gone) restaurant in Lahaina, Maui. At Longhi's there was no menu to view. For forty-three years, the menu was recited by the server. Some even pulled up a chair to chat about the evening's choices. Memories...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This brings back fond memories of one time we were in Livorno and didn't need to do a tour or transfer yet again.

 

We decided to stay in LIvorno and my research had provided me the name of a restaurant in Little Venice. I don't recall the name right now. However, when we requested the menu, the chef/waiter said "I am the menu".

 

Miss those adventures so much right now as we have been home for just over ten months and were some of the early victims of the shut downs out of Japan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

At Longhi's there was no menu to view.

 

It has been decades ago, but there was a restaurant that my family patronized during a trip through Georgia when I was growing up.  Near Atlanta, I think:  Aunt Fanny's Cabin.  The menu was written on a portable blackboard in white chalk that our server brought to our table.  

 

Are we approaching the time when "what was old is now new"?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now you have reminded me of a restaurant in Savannah, Georgia:  Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House.  Show up at the appointed time, enter in order, be directed to a table with many others.  No menus.  Once all were seated, many many bowls and platters would be brought out to each table.  All diners served themselves and passed them along.  Good Southern cooking.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 7:47 PM, cbr663 said:

If we can safely assume that they have to remove tables in the dining areas in order to physically distance diners then timing is going to be an issue.  I think that diners can expect shorter dining times in order to accommodate as many passengers as possible.  Shorter dining times can be accomplished by having much less menu offerings and a smaller number of servings.

 

But that's just my guessing.  Who knows what will roll out when the time comes.  

I’ve been wondering if they will take fewer passengers on cruise, in order to allow for physical distancing...

Lots of surmising until announcement is made. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, 13momo said:

I’ve been wondering if they will take fewer passengers on cruise, in order to allow for physical distancing...

Lots of surmising until announcement is made. 

 

The expectation is that the ships will be sailing at a reduced capacity.  At least whenever sailings resume for some time, I expect.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the mandatory vaccines   taken by all who wish to cruise is  the only way to run the ship imo .  All the cruise lines really need to place hand wash basins  before any dining  entrance  & monitor them .That way both   the virus & noro will be stopped dead 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

With the mandatory vaccines   taken by all who wish to cruise is  the only way to run the ship imo .  All the cruise lines really need to place hand wash basins  before any dining  entrance  & monitor them .That way both   the virus & noro will be stopped dead 

 

I'm sorry, that is a ridiculous suggestion and very unappetizing.  Yuck! 🤮

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Roz said:

 

I'm sorry, that is a ridiculous suggestion and very unappetizing.  Yuck! 🤮

There are cruise ships already that have hand wash basins before entering  the buffet & mandatory washing hands .  We have sailed on them . RCL's Anthem of the Seas is one we were on & had  the hand wash basins   before the buffet  . In todays times we all can not be too careful .If we all are careful we all will have a healthier cruise experience 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Roz said:

 

I'm sorry, that is a ridiculous suggestion and very unappetizing.  Yuck! 🤮

 

It's already being done.  This is a pic of the hand washing station at the entrance to the buffet on RCI's Quantum of the Seas.

 

image.thumb.png.a1724b60f52a04fd840369af7bafce91.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ours was voluntary in addition to the ever-present hand sanitizer.  Let your conscience be your guide.

I do remember an earlier cruise in Code Red, where various staff members were "The Enforcers" dispensing hand sanitizer to everyone entering the Lido.  We all worked together.

Barbara

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Roz said:

I had no idea that was being done.  So who is The Enforcer?

 

None, other than a crew member that attempts to "direct" a guest to the hand washing station.  My first introduction to this concept was on the newest Royal Princess.  No "enforcer" of any type.  But, the facility was there.  And, it was being used by some. 😀

 

I am fed up observing my fellow male guests leaving a public restroom without washing their hands.  I don't want to initiate a confrontation during a cruise--have no desire to visit the brig--but, the time has arrived when I am going to say something that will offend some and bring about such a situation.  

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

 

None, other than a crew member that attempts to "direct" a guest to the hand washing station.  My first introduction to this concept was on the newest Royal Princess.  No "enforcer" of any type.  But, the facility was there.  And, it was being used by some. 😀

 

I am fed up observing my fellow male guests leaving a public restroom without washing their hands.  I don't want to initiate a confrontation during a cruise--have no desire to visit the brig--but, the time has arrived when I am going to say something that will offend some and bring about such a situation.  

 

 

Seems to us  that   people should be aware of  their own  health . It goes back to not every one wears a mask & does social distancing & that is why the case loads are expanding   . Thus ,can not  make  all people use common sense is the problem 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Roz said:

@rkacruiser, I've heard the same complaint from other male cruisers.  Disgusting, isn't it?  Were they raised by wolves?

  We can not change the world of all it's ills . When some one pays the price  because they  had not been sanitary ,then they learn ,the hard way  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...