Dining room.....wonder what that will be like???

Kelownabccan

21 hours ago, Aquahound said:

It's already being done.  This is a pic of the hand washing station at the entrance to the buffet on RCI's Quantum of the Seas.

image.thumb.png.a1724b60f52a04fd840369af7bafce91.png

Thanks isn't that a neat thing  , Quantum & anthem of the Seas are sister ships  . when we sailed the Anthem of the Seas to Canada & New England 2017 , I thought that this was a very good idea  & used it  every time even though   I had not been to the mens room 

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am fed up observing my fellow male guests leaving a public restroom without washing their hands.  I don't want to initiate a confrontation during a cruise--have no desire to visit the brig--but, the time has arrived when I am going to say something that will offend some and bring about such a situation.  

Long ago in "nice" establishments there was a rest room attendant that turned on the faucet in the sink and had liquid soap for gentlemen to wash up with. He then handed out towels. A tip jar was provided, of course.

• Like 1

Bottom line...if you were that worried about security you would not use your ipad OR your phone for communications, banking, making purchases, etc. when traveling.

Nine years of frequent international travel using ipads extensively to communicate, to do banking on extended trips on most continents, and to make all sorts of travel  reservations.  Never once been compromised.  Our cell phones are typically left at home.

Our credit cards have been compromised though....in all four cases domestic while we were at home.

Edited by iancal

26 minutes ago, iancal said:

Bottom line...if you were that worried about security you would not use your ipad OR your phone for communications, banking, making purchases, etc. when traveling.

Nine years of frequent international travel using ipads extensively to communicate, to do banking on extended trips on most continents, and to make all sorts of travel  reservations.  Never once been compromised.  Our cell phones are typically left at home.

Our credit cards have been compromised though....in all four cases domestic while we were at home.

I always take my iPad with me when travelling. I leave my laptop at home cause its more vulnerable than an iPad or an Iphone for a very known reason. So I doubt having any problems using such a sophisticated pieces of devices. Just be carefull using it in public places with lots of people there

On 12/5/2020 at 11:39 AM, mcrcruiser said:

There are cruise ships already that have hand wash basins before entering  the buffet & mandatory washing hands .  We have sailed on them . RCL's Anthem of the Seas is one we were on & had  the hand wash basins   before the buffet  . In todays times we all can not be too careful .If we all are careful we all will have a healthier cruise experience 

Some HAL ships have some in Lido.  They are not traditional sinks.  You stick your hands in an opening and it sprays you hands.  Can’t remember which ship but I have definitely seen it.

12 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Some HAL ships have some in Lido.  They are not traditional sinks.  You stick your hands in an opening and it sprays you hands.  Can’t remember which ship but I have definitely seen it.

It is the old story that to sanitize  our hands properly wash while saying the song Happy Birthday  with soap & warm water  & then that is how we get our hands sanitized properly 

9 hours ago, bcummin said:

Add Zaandam and Veendam.

Personally, I prefer a good sink and soap. I’m not convinced those machines provide that much friction from the water spray. I can do a better job with soap and water with the objective to make those buggers slip off. I prefer the machines to “hand sanitizer.”

Edited by TiogaCruiser

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Personally, I prefer a good sink and soap. I’m not convinced those machines provide that much friction from the water spray. I can do a better job with soap and water with the objective to make those buggers slip off. I prefer the machines to “hand sanitizer.”

I agree with you. I usually wash hands with soap/water in stateroom just before dining. I still use the machines prior to entering the buffet - helps get rid of anything that I might have picked up on the way and others can see I follow guidelines. 

7 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Add Zaandam and Veendam.

I guess this reminds me of the last question I had to answer on my nursing board exam, way back. 

What is the most important factor when washing ones hands: the temperature of the water, the type of soap/gel used, the force of the water, or hand friction time. Hope you all picked the latter because the amount of time one throughly rubs ones hands together, while washing, is the greatest factor in how clean your hands will be when finished.

Edited by PROCRUISE
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

I guess this reminds me of the last question I had to answer on my nursing board exam, way back. 

What is the most important factor when washing ones hands: the temperature of the water, the type of soap/gel used, the force of the water, or hand friction time. Hope you all picked the latter because the amount of time one throughly rubs ones hands together, while washing, is the greatest factor in how clean your hands will be when finished.

Exactly. I’m a nurse also. 

On Veendam, when I first met that machine, a fellow nurse in our rollcall and I had quite a discussion about them. Neither of us was super impressed.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 6:56 AM, richwmn said:

Long ago in "nice" establishments there was a rest room attendant that turned on the faucet in the sink and had liquid soap for gentlemen to wash up with. He then handed out towels. A tip jar was provided, of course.

When I was little, I told my Dad I wanted to be one of those guys when I grew up. He asked why. I said "They make a lot of money for a little bit of work". "He said "Go for it"".  I should have. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 4:34 PM, rkacruiser said:

None, other than a crew member that attempts to "direct" a guest to the hand washing station.  My first introduction to this concept was on the newest Royal Princess.  No "enforcer" of any type.  But, the facility was there.  And, it was being used by some. 😀

I am fed up observing my fellow male guests leaving a public restroom without washing their hands.  I don't want to initiate a confrontation during a cruise--have no desire to visit the brig--but, the time has arrived when I am going to say something that will offend some and bring about such a situation.  

Eww!

On 11/18/2020 at 11:38 AM, KirkNC said:

I believe this is one of many things HAL is trying to figure out.

Which is probably why we were wait listed for early fixed dining (Zuiderdam April 2021) for the first time in more than 25 years of sailing.

I'm thinking that they're just sure yet how they're going to reconfigure the MDR's to comply with CDC requirements for distancing, etc.

14 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Which is probably why we were wait listed for early fixed dining (Zuiderdam April 2021) for the first time in more than 25 years of sailing.

I'm thinking that they're just sure yet how they're going to reconfigure the MDR's to comply with CDC requirements for distancing, etc.

*April 2022 🙂

Edited by KroozNut

15 hours ago, KroozNut said:

45 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

*April 2022 🙂

Strange.  Do you think there could be a group on your cruise?

We sail in November and have out main dining (not early though) confirmed.  No one on the roll call has had an issue regarding dining.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Strange.  Do you think there could be a group on your cruise?

We sail in November and have out main dining (not early though) confirmed.  No one on the roll call has had an issue regarding dining.

I suppose it's possible that there's a group on the cruise, and I tend to hope not based on some of the negative things I've read here about that scenario.

I believe I also read on here some time back that there is a way to check to see if there is a group on your sailing. Do you happen to know how to do that?