Dining room.....wonder what that will be like???

Kelownabccan

4 hours ago, Donald said:

... Yes, removing tables and chairs to achieve social distancing is an easy thing to do.

Are you suggesting that they remove all the fixed stools at all the bars also to achieve social distancing?  I suggest that they simply mark them with an "X" and not let people sit there. This is only a temporary measure and there is no need to spend extra labour costs that will need to be reversed soon.  You definitely do not need a permanent solution for a temporary problem. 🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

You definitely do not need a permanent solution for a temporary problem. 

I agree.  But, how long is this "temporary problem" going to be "temporary"?  My crystal ball is still in the shop.  Maybe your ball is newer than mine.  I am starting to read reports that cruising as "it once was was and at the level of patronage it once was" will not occur until 2030.   

Every  idea is premature  imo  .After the vaccines have been out for awhile   the tension will ease for both travelers , land excursions & cruise  excursions . What is imagined today in restrictions will change just like the implementation of the restrictions that started . some of course undeserving ;which has caused havoc both medically & financially  .Let us wait & see what transpires .It always make full circle back to the test of time for every thing . 

8 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree.  But, how long is this "temporary problem" going to be "temporary"?  My crystal ball is still in the shop.  Maybe your ball is newer than mine.  I am starting to read reports that cruising as "it once was was and at the level of patronage it once was" will not occur until 2030.   

If you read the same report I did about 2030 it was referring to the financial health of the cruise industry and the demand for cruising.  It was not what the experience would be like.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My crystal ball is no better than yours.  I am just hoping for all of us that this pandemic be over as soon as possible and that we can all resume our normal lives.  The vaccine is a good step in that direction.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

My crystal ball is no better than yours.  I am just hoping for all of us that this pandemic be over as soon as possible and that we can all resume our normal lives.  The vaccine is a good step in that direction.

Yes the vaccines are very positive for all the worlds populations ;as long  as l governments don't muck it up . We also pray that the vaccines cover the new strains in the UK ;which some claim they do . This is hopeful but remains to be seen 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Yes the vaccines are very positive for all the worlds populations ;as long  as l governments don't muck it up . We also pray that the vaccines cover the new strains in the UK ;which some claim they do . This is hopeful but remains to be seen 

I share your thoughts.  There remains--not surprisingly--so much that we don't know.  It seems like life is now a "crap shoot" when we exit whatever "bubble" we have to do even the most simple things.  

On 12/23/2020 at 11:49 AM, Donald said:

As I mentioned in my post, the mass market ships with 2 seatings already do not have enough tables and chairs to seat and feed everyone. Yes, removing tables and chairs to achieve social distancing is an easy thing to do.

Since you asked, what you are missing is the problem of seating and feeding the people who would have been sitting in those chairs that have been removed. 

There may not be enough tables and chairs in two seatings, but you can't ignore the number of people that the Lido or the specialty restaurants can feed.

On 12/23/2020 at 3:30 PM, Roz said:

Maybe offer 3 sittings, or do first booked, first to get a table in the MDR.  The rest can eat in the Lido, where a host/hostess would seat you.  But if the ships have to sail at reduced capacity, why should this be a big issue?  Masks, social distancing, etc. won't last forever.  Even the Black Plague eventually went away.  

Also, is the demand for cruising going to be that much if people have to wear masks and social distance?  I, for one, will not sail under those conditions; and I don't think that I am alone in that position.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Roz said:

I sail solo a lot, so if cruising means sitting in my cabin and ordering from room service, I may as well stay at home and order from Uber Eats. 😒

Given what the on-board situation may be when cruising initially begins, spending money for such a "vacation experience" does not appeal to me either.  Masks?  Absolutely not!  Socially distancing from others?  I could manage that, but what about my cruisemates?  "Oh, so sorry", the Greenhouse Spa staff member says.  "The hydrothermal pool is not available to use.  Covid-19 restrictions, you understand."  

I'll Be Home For Christmas" is the music I am listening to as I type this.  For me, I'll Be Cruising Again when a "normality" of what I consider is "normal" is possible.  

If I can't, I have hundreds and hundreds of photos, journals of most of my cruises, memorabilia galore, and memories of "what I once could do". 

• Like 2

I think the excitement of cruising potentially restarting is as far as some look.  Initially the experience will be far different then what we saw last March when we disembarked in Fremantle. How long the Covid changes last is anyone’s guess but I believe some will be stickier then others.  The challenge facing the industry is daunting.  How to satisfy the CDC and protect passengers while providing a cruise experience even remotely resembling what it was seems impossible to me.  Arnold Donald said early on that cruising can not work with restrictions on social distancing, I agree.  Hopefully the bridge between the start up and the return to some sort of “normalcy “ will not be too long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Given what the on-board situation may be when cruising initially begins, spending money for such a "vacation experience" does not appeal to me either.  Masks?  Absolutely not!  Socially distancing from others?  I could manage that, but what about my cruisemates?  "Oh, so sorry", the Greenhouse Spa staff member says.  "The hydrothermal pool is not available to use.  Covid-19 restrictions, you understand."  

I'll Be Home For Christmas" is the music I am listening to as I type this.  For me, I'll Be Cruising Again when a "normality" of what I consider is "normal" is possible.  

If I can't, I have hundreds and hundreds of photos, journals of most of my cruises, memorabilia galore, and memories of "what I once could do". 

My sentiments exactly... well said!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

There may not be enough tables and chairs in two seatings, but you can't ignore the number of people that the Lido or the specialty restaurants can feed.

Well, you are going to have to ignore that idea. At full manning and with full seating (pre-COVID), the mass market chips did not have enough service staff working onboard to fully service the Main Dining Rooms, Specialty Restaurants, and Lido all at the same time. Typically we put minimum staff in Lido in order to provide full service to the Main Dining Rooms. If the Lido happened to get busy, we would pull wait staff from the Main Dining Room to cover, but then received complaints about slow service and long waits in the Dining Room. 

With our new COVID rules and manning, the service staff will be required to perform far more duties (no self-service in the Lido, and extra sanitizing everywhere, for example).

At the same time, new COVID operations will require us to have fewer cooks and service staff working onboard (single rather than double occupancy crew cabins only, and staff reductions to increase social distancing - and save labor costs).

So under the new system on mass market ships, you can certainly find somewhere to sit in the Lido or Specialty Restaurants to eat, but there may be a very long wait to find someone to cook the food and serve it to you.

On 12/26/2020 at 8:20 AM, Tampa Girl said:

Remember based on what the other ships now sailing are doing that the passenger capacity will likely be lower so the NS might sail with 1,300 instead of 2,600

12 hours ago, Donald said:

At the same time, new COVID operations will require us to have fewer cooks and service staff working onboard (single rather than double occupancy crew cabins only, and staff reductions to increase social distancing - and save labor costs).

So under the new system on mass market ships, you can certainly find somewhere to sit in the Lido or Specialty Restaurants to eat, but there may be a very long wait to find someone to cook the food and serve it to you.

Does the CDC really require single occupancy crew cabins?  If so HAL could use some of the smaller inside cabins for crew.   This new promo HAL is running is giving away inside cabins (hoping for upgrades, I’m sure).   Empty inside cabins should be given to room stewards.