Covid -19 Vaccinations

rucrazy

Covid vaccines   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get the Covid Vaccine when made available

• Yes, as soon as possible
    • Yes, but will wait a a while to seek if it has adverse effects on others.
    • No. I don't believe in vaccinations.
    • I don't know

I am going to be participating in the J&J vaccine trial. I have used a vaccine timetable calculator to check when I will get the vaccine , here in U.K. I have no underlying health issues, just turned 60, so it could be April till I am vaccinated. I am quite excited to be participating. 
As a science graduate I understand the risks and I’m happy to go for it. Of course, I may just get saline solution!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

I am going to be participating in the J&J vaccine trial.

Thank you Kristal, hope you get the real vaccine and before April, but even if not, you have my gratitude and respect.

Edited by QueSeraSera
clarity
  • Thanks 1

Oh my goodness, I am anything but a hero! But thanks for your support.

I’m a regular blood donor and thought that as I’m not afraid of the blood tests etc that are required I would participate.

But I am so annoyed with the stupid decisions being made by Boris Johnson and his team. To decide that the 2nd jab can be given after 12 weeks, even though the recommendation is 3 weeks is ridiculous. No evidence to suggest this time lag will give immunity. Bad decision! 

Happy new year everyone. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2020 at 2:35 AM, drron29 said:

Though the Oxford vaccine was 90% effective given a low dose first and standard dose second.It is also much cheaper than Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.It is older technology so less likely to come out with new surprises when used in large numbers.It has a simpler and easier distribution need.It was the first vaccine to have submitted results to a peer reviewed journal.

@drron29It seems problematic to me that the Oxford test showed better results with the half dose followed by full dose, yet they are moving ahead with the full two dose regimen. Also, the Oxford vaccine test group that achieved the higher efficacy from half-then-full dosage did not include anyone over the age of 55. Pooled data of two different tests with different doses seems concerning. And then the chair of a British advisory group on Covid-19 vaccines stated the reported 90% efficacy rate for the half-plus-full regimen did not hold up under analysis. (He said a higher success rate may be due to a longer gap between the administration of the first and second shots.) It seems to me -- and more important, to a lot of doctors and scientists -- there are a lot of questions yet to be answered about this vaccine.

• Like 1

Though there are questions about the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines as well.Severe allergic reactions were not seen in either trial but have occurred since.They are a new vaccine type for human use and experience tells me new treatments that look wonderful in trials don't always turn out to be wonderful.

Add then the cost and complexity of transport and in a world sense they are not going to be the answer in stopping this pandemic.That is why you find countries such as India going for the Oxford vaccine,Brazil and Algeria going for the Sputnik vaccine-both older technologies and cheaper.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 8:30 PM, taxatty said:

Curious to see how the votes would go if getting a vaccine becomes a prerequisite to cruising.

I want it to be mandatory for everyone who wants to come aboard. No exceptions. If you are nervous, have a health issue, some idiosyncratic belief system, or just simply neurotic, then don't cruise, or fly either for that matter. Ships, planes, buses and hotels are closed environments: stay home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/6/2021 at 12:52 AM, drron29 said:

There have already been cruises where Covid testing pre cruise was mandated yet Covid cases occurred and the cruise cancelled-for instance not so long ago in the Caribbean.

I see there has been an announcement about Australia starting mass vaccinations in February now instead of March. Two questions, why so late and why is the regulator only likely to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccination by the end of this month. My wife is back in harness, after completing her 10 e-learning courses over the New Year, and she is overseeing the 300-350 jabs a day at her old Hospital. Thankfully she didn’t have to do the Fire Safety, Diversity or deradicalisation modules!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

My wife is back in harness, after completing her 10 e-learning courses over the New Year, and she is overseeing the 300-350 jabs a day at her old Hospital. Thankfully she didn’t have to do the Fire Safety, Diversity or deradicalisation modules!

She got off lightly. I had to do all 18 plus provide copies of all my quals plus find 2 old employers and 2 character referees prepared to commit to paper that I'm not a total dead loss. I applied 3 weeks ago, got the DNS cert today and in spite of being told a week ago that everything was in order got an "oops, sorry" email today demanding yet more info. 

It's almost as if they don't really want us! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

She got off lightly. I had to do all 18 plus provide copies of all my quals plus find 2 old employers and 2 character referees prepared to commit to paper that I'm not a total dead loss. I applied 3 weeks ago, got the DNS cert today and in spite of being told a week ago that everything was in order got an "oops, sorry" email today demanding yet more info. 

It's almost as if they don't really want us! 

She already had an honorary contract in place and had got her DBS recertified late last year. She does have to do another whole load of crap to get paid though!

Don't give up please, we need you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

I see there has been an announcement about Australia starting mass vaccinations in February now instead of March. Two questions, why so late and why is the regulator only likely to approve the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccination by the end of this month. 

You guys are our mass testing regime.  We also haven't had a lot of cases etc   1:85 000 people versus 1:50

• Like 1

I attended my trial meeting yesterday and got my jab. I think I got the placebo (saline) because there is hardly a mark where the needle went in and no pain. I feel normal, no headache, fever or nausea. 
But I am having fun playing with my pulse oximeter! 

stay safe everyone, we can get over this and have holidays again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2021 at 3:19 PM, rucrazy said:

We just signed up for our first shot of the Pfizer vaccine for Monday morning January 11...

Western Maryland..

Update: Thought we were receiving the Pfizer.. ended up getting the Moderna vaccine.. .No ill side effects for either myself or my 76 year old husband...

We are halfway home! Yah!!

Joseph

• Like 3