Celebrity will NOT allow private/non-cruise line shore excursions after restart

mikkelhansen

32 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

....... There is absolutely no sense in people getting the vaccine if the world around us does not accomodate for it. 

Not too sure I understand your statement.....the sense is protecting your HEALTH.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Not too sure I understand your statement.....the sense is protecting your HEALTH.

Well it's pretty stright forward. The purpose of the vaccine is to get past Covid. To once again live w/o the necessary pre-cautions of masks, social distancing, not attending worship services, not attending school, sporting events, and even dining out. If we get the vaccine and while on a cruise ship we are still required to wear a mask, social distance, and ship excursions only... why even get it? It doesn't make sense. 

I say, no proof of vaccine, no cruising. If everyone on the ship has the vaccine including all cruisers, all staff and all employees, the ship should be in great shape. There will be no need for a mask and social distancing. 

• Like 3

I believe you are wrong Miaminice about vaccination. If you are vaccinated, I don’t believe you can infect someone else. If that is the case, what would be the point of immunizing.  There would be no such thing as herd immunity.  I’m not a doctor but I am a Medical Technologist, ASCP certified, and worked in immunology department of a hospital lab for many years.  What you said makes no sense from an immunological standpoint.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Perhaps these guidelines will shift once the vccines are in play. Per the presser yesterday, over 100 million vaccines will be distributed by March. There is absolutely no sense in people getting the vaccine if the world around us does not accomodate for it. 

That 100 million doses means only 50 million people will be vaccinated. And those first 50 million people will be those deemed at highest risk. Few will be rabid cruisers. And that is only for the US. Need I remind you that most ships sailing from US ports have a large international contingent? Not all countries will be on the same timetable. It could well take a year or more before everyone can be vaccinated. Depends on how well the production and distribution systems work. Until that happens,  and the infections drop down to R-1, the health mitigation measures will need to be maintained.  Certainly at some time in the future they will no longer be required. But not for a while. Patience is a virtue. I realize that is a foreign concept to many in the me generation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mom says said:

That 100 million doses means only 50 million people will be vaccinated. And those first 50 million people will be those deemed at highest risk. Few will be rabid cruisers. And that is only for the US. Need I remind you that most ships sailing from US ports have a large international contingent? Not all countries will be on the same timetable. It could well take a year or more before everyone can be vaccinated. Depends on how well the production and distribution systems work. Until that happens,  and the infections drop down to R-1, the health mitigation measures will need to be maintained.  Certainly at some time in the future they will no longer be required. But not for a while. Patience is a virtue. I realize that is a foreign concept to many in the me generation.

Then the cruise industry should patiently wait until they can safely serve their paying customers. 

7 hours ago, Miaminice said:

You are neglecting 3 facts in your posts:

1. It wasn´t a choice of the cruise line but part of the guidelines (not only in the US) and also requirements of the ports.

2. This isn´t about just about protecting the customer but controlling them! They guides are responsible to see where people go, what they do, if they wear masks etc. It´s part of protecting the safer environment on the ship.

BTW: we have done a cruise and excursions under the guidelines. They make sense it it wasn´t so bad at all. I prefer individual tours, but if that´s what it takes I can choose if I am OK with it or not.

3. The current vaccines protect the vaccinated person from becoming ill with Covid not from being infectious. A vaccinated person can still spread the virus. Maybe you might still want to care about others?!

Point #3.  This has definitely not been proven.  No data on this at all whether people are infectious after vaccination.  All speculation.  It is wait and see.

37 minutes ago, joetop2467 said:

.....I believe you are wrong Miaminice about vaccination. If you are vaccinated, I don’t believe you can infect someone else. ........

The Covid-19 vaccines which probably will be available shortly are yet to be assessed for Infection transmission, even if they give protection from the disease.  We all hope that it could eliminate transmission but we await the evidence patiently. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DrKoob said:

And yet 100,000 people applied to do the test cruises. If they don't restart early in 2021, they may never restart. It can be done safely, but there will have to be rules to start. 

That said, we are really glad that our July 2021 cruise is on Flora in the Galapagos because the only way you can do any shore excursions there is with X. Ecuador law. 

I am one that does not believe this to be anywhere near reality. Is there a chance that one or perhaps even some cruiselines fail? Absolutely. But your own post tells us that the energy and interest is there to keep the cruise industry alive and well for many, many years to come.  And to my knowlege there has not been any cruiseline that has restarted that has NOT had Covid issues. Bottomline, it is still not safe to cruise and it won't be until vaccines are distributed. And when they are, the cruiseline industry will be the first in line to mandate a vaccine. Until then, if a cruiseline does restart, I'm willing to bet it will continue to have Covid issues. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sfaaa said:

A small price to pay for cruising until all passengers can be vaccinated.

Once all passengers are vaccinated this policy should go away.   We rarely take the ship's excursions.  Private tours are usually half the cost of the ship's tours.

13 hours ago, DrKoob said:

And yet 100,000 people applied to do the test cruises. If they don't restart early in 2021, they may never restart. It can be done safely, but there will have to be rules to start. 

Well said.  

3 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Well it's pretty stright forward. The purpose of the vaccine is to get past Covid. To once again live w/o the necessary pre-cautions of masks, social distancing, not attending worship services, not attending school, sporting events, and even dining out. If we get the vaccine and while on a cruise ship we are still required to wear a mask, social distance, and ship excursions only... why even get it? It doesn't make sense. 

I say, no proof of vaccine, no cruising. If everyone on the ship has the vaccine including all cruisers, all staff and all employees, the ship should be in great shape. There will be no need for a mask and social distancing. 

Until you get off the ship in a port and are exposed by a clerk, server, bartender or anyone else you encounter in port that is infected.

14 hours ago, DrKoob said:

That said, we are really glad that our July 2021 cruise is on Flora in the Galapagos because the only way you can do any shore excursions there is with X. Ecuador law. 

And I will bet that huge percentage of those 100,000 would not qualify to sail.  Just look at sailing demographics.

Over age XX?  Not sailing.

Suffer COPD?  Bye.  Emphysema?  Sayanora.  Asthma? Seeya.  High Blood Pressure?  Maybe another time.  Other comorbidities? Nah, you aren't going. 

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Point #3.  This has definitely not been proven.  No data on this at all whether people are infectious after vaccination.  All speculation.  It is wait and see.

I know we keep going back and forth on this 😁

By now I have heard more than just one leading virologist plus the scientist who invented the BNT vaccine confirm it - in regards to the two vaccines out now.

So I wouldn’t call it speculation. Speculating is the opposite - saying the vaccine would do something it’s not designed to do.

I guess them and me wouldn’t mind to be wrong... 

2 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

And to my knowlege there has not been any cruiseline that has restarted that has NOT had Covid issues. Bottomline, it is still not safe to cruise and it won't be until vaccines are distributed.

TUI Cruises: more than 40,000 passengers and not one single incident...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Then the cruise industry should patiently wait until they can safely serve their paying customers. 

No you can wait if that's how you feel. Others may not wish to including cruise lines.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, basenji56 said:

I doubt there will be any cruises to Europe for a long while.  https://off-guardian.org/2020/11/19/anti-lockdown-protests-all-across-europe/

We live in Germany. While we also have our share of covidiots who are loud and reckless, more than 80 % agree to the actions taken.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I doubt the cruise lines will visit many “ not to be missed” ports on their 7 day cruises.   The private ports and islands will be accessible without a tour.   

And private islands are all very nice.

• Thanks 1