Umi Uma: Coming to a Desert Near You

On 11/20/2020 at 4:29 PM, KenzSailing said:

Wow - remember to only go to the real Nobu (restaurant and hotel) that's inside of Caesar's Palace. This new Umi Uma is a brand-only incarnation...

I’ve been craving Umi Uma something terrible lately.

Just the other day I told a friend I’d much rather have Nobu’s yummy creations over all that heavy traditional stuff this coming Thursday. 

The most memorable Thanksgiving of my growing up years was the year my non-Asian Mom and Grandmother put their heads together and decided to rock the boat and prepare a Chinese feast. Not exactly Nobu, but my Mom and Nana were elevated to rock star status in my book. 

It felt good pardoning some poor turkey that year. 

Edited by BEAV
9 hours ago, BEAV said:

I’ve been craving Umi Uma something terrible lately.

Just the other day I told a friend I’d much rather have Nobu’s yummy creations over all that heavy traditional stuff this coming Thursday. 

The most memorable Thanksgiving of my growing up years was the year my non-Asian Mom and Grandmother put their heads together and decided to rock the boat and prepare a Chinese feast. Not exactly Nobu, but my Mom and Nana were elevated to rock star status in my book. 

It felt good pardoning some poor turkey that year. 

Ah, Beav, we must part ways here.

On Thanksgiving I am a firm believer in the gravy food group: if you shouldn't pour gravy on it, I don't want it on my plate.

Fortunately I am somewhat lax in enforcement.  About the only thing this rules out is cranberry dressing.

Be well.

20 hours ago, KenzSailing said:

On Thanksgiving I am a firm believer in the gravy food group: if you shouldn't pour gravy on it, I don't want it on my plate.

Fortunately I am somewhat lax in enforcement.  About the only thing this rules out is cranberry dressing.

Be well.

Yes, It was a good run, wasn’t it. (reaching for that seductive cigarette...)

But that’s okay. I’m a forgiving soul, and respect your right to be swayed to the dark side of fatty gravies and heavy carbs. 

Please schedule a post-Thanksgiving cholesterol check at your soonest convenience whilst I search for Nobu Chardonnay on Black Friday sales....

3 hours ago, BEAV said:

Yes, It was a good run, wasn’t it. (reaching for that seductive cigarette...)

But that’s okay. I’m a forgiving soul, and respect your right to be swayed to the dark side of fatty gravies and heavy carbs. 

Please schedule a post-Thanksgiving cholesterol check at your soonest convenience whilst I search for Nobu Chardonnay on Black Friday sales....

Ok.  First of all, you know better than to smoke in bed.  (Yeah, I said it.)

Second, wait for my next "Misadventures in Cooking" post.  It will be bad cholesterol heaven.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:50 PM, KenzSailing said:

Be well.

Ruh Roh...  Does hoisin sauce qualify as gravy?  (It's kind of savory and umami?)  Peking Duck has been my holiday bird since I moved out on my own at 18.  I suddenly realized I could make whatever traditions I wanted, and the complex I lived in when I lived in San Francisco had an amazing Chinese restaurant, so I got a whole duck that I munched on all weekend.  That fit me so much more than a turkey, that it just stuck.  (I may be @BEAV's non-Asian long-lost holiday sibling.)

I'm excited for your next cooking post, Ken -- I loved the egg one!!

Re: RWLV, the news of a Umi Uma in the complex is interesting, and makes me wonder if the early references to the "Crystal Bar" in the preliminary layouts is also going to be a marketing cross-over somehow.

Vince