Don't give NCL anymore money than you have to.

truwoman

I have sailed as many as 4 times in one year on NCL.  I sail out of NYC as it is nearest my home.  On a cruise in 2015, my daughter bought 2 Sail Ahead Certificates.  We had to book within 4 years, according to them.  We did, and our cruise is for 1-3-21.  I am sure that they will not be sailing. I cancelled on the date that final payment was due, because if I had paid in full for the cruise, I couldn't get my money back;  it would be kept as a future cruise credit. Yes, I checked and made sure that is the policy.  I cancelled, thinking that the certificates already used toward this sailing  would be applied to Future Cruise Credits under the new "Peace of Mind" policy.  NO, we get NOTHING..because the certificates are now expired.  As you know this is not our fault.   This wasn't even the first cruise this year that we were booked on that was cancelled.  We were supposed to sail last April.  We actually did go in February.   This is how they treat their Latitudes Platinum members.  I would have been Platinum Plus by now if now for the cancellations.

9 minutes ago, truwoman said:

I cancelled, thinking that the certificates already used toward this sailing  would be applied to Future Cruise Credits under the new "Peace of Mind" policy.  NO, we get NOTHING..because the certificates are now expired.  As you know this is not our fault. 

Well, from NCL's published CruiseNext Deposit Terms & Conditions #9 it says, "To cancel a reservation made with a CND, submit your request in accordance with Norwegian Cruise Line cancellation policies and procedures. The CND will be refunded back to the guest Latitudes Rewards account minus any cancellation fees, and will retain its original expiration date. Once a CND is applied to a reservation, it is subject to the same cancellation policy, rules and regulations as any other deposit which can be found on your reservation confirmation."  Seems that you did not read the policy, and thus it is your fault.

im sorry that you got screwed on your certificates, but the fact you were a latitudes platinum is completely irrelevant.  check most of these threads.  i have been cruising with ncl for 10 years, (18 different cruises). we usually try and book a suite or the haven, and i have learned by now that ncl really doesnt give a d**n about it's passengers and we are platinum +.

towards that end, if the price is right and the itinerary is of interest, i will book the cruise.

once onboard, we do our own thing and just travel. i try and limit all interaction with the crew (except of course the butler, cabin steward and concierge.

by the way,it's not that i have an overwhelming love for ncl, but my wife is a diamond club member through cesar's entertainment and we get 10% off suites or haven or 20% off any lower cabins. just saving the money, although i really dont like the way ncl does business

• Like 2

In my opinion, what NCL isn't wrong technically, since it's as per their T&Cs.

But we are currently in unprecedented times, and one would feel it's not completely unreasonable for NCL to allow for extensions of these expiry dates.

I haven't been following along too closely, but what happened in the cases where a certificate was used and the cruise was cancelled by NCL after the certificate's expiration date? Did those at least receive an extension?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pentiumvi said:

In my opinion, what NCL isn't wrong technically, since it's as per their T&Cs.

But we are currently in unprecedented times, and one would feel it's not completely unreasonable for NCL to allow for extensions of these expiry dates.

I haven't been following along too closely, but what happened in the cases where a certificate was used and the cruise was cancelled by NCL after the certificate's expiration date? Did those at least receive an extension?

Exactly! All the airlines are being very understanding and flexible in these unprecedented times. That’s crummy of NCL not to automatically extend CNDs that are expiring soon. All hope is not lost though. OP should contact the CruiseNext department and plead their case. I think I’ve read of others getting a 1 time extension.

• Like 2

You’re the one that cancelled the cruise NOT NCL, you’re bound by their T&Cs. NCL like any other company is in business to make money and it’s down to the consumer to understand the conditions. 
If you had waited for NCL to cancel that would of been a different story but you didn’t. 

• Like 6

I purchased one once and never again because I didn't like having to call them to do the booking.

I'll need to call them to put by world points back on my card-  I think its another example of something they could have automated.

I missed platinum plus on my sailing this year as well- I'm a little bitter anyway.

I also wouldn't give them any more money right now period even for a deposit as what if something happens anyway-

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HowardK said:

I purchased one once and never again because I didn't like having to call them to do the booking.

I bought one on my April cruise last year, I never had to call NCL to use it for my October cruise.  My TA handled everything, but I don't think even she needed to call except I had never used that TA before so during the process of getting me quotes I was issued a second Latitudes number since she didn't have mine yet so she had to call to get that sorted out...

• Like 1

It stinks that you have to pay for a cruise in full when you are 99% sure (or more) that it’s going to be cancelled. NCL should extend the certificate IMHO. Maybe call? IDK, I’ve only cruise carnival and they’ve cancelled January already. They have been accommodating.

On 11/21/2020 at 7:34 PM, HowardK said:

I'll need to call them to put by world points back on my card-  I think its another example of something they could have automated.

I missed platinum plus on my sailing this year as well- I'm a little bitter anyway.

I also wouldn't give them any more money right now period even for a deposit as what if something happens anyway-

You can book with a CN on line.  You do not have to call anyone.

On 11/20/2020 at 7:38 PM, truwoman said:

This is how they treat their Latitudes Platinum members.  I would have been Platinum Plus by now if now for the cancellations.

If you did not cancel you would have gotten the points. What many did not realize is that when they started cancelling cruises, you can get a refund or fcc, but .....you still got points for not sailing. 

Steve

You should not have cancelled the cruise but re-booked to another cruise. I had deposited the CN cert. for a cruise in AUG 2020, when final payment date rolled around I rebooked to the following cruise. We have a cruise booked for April 2021, which is longer than the 7 day CDC guidelines. So it will be cancelled. However before final payment date I will book for another date thus not losing the CN cert. It will be the last CN I buy as NCL doesn't refund you money after 4 years if you choose not to go like Princess does. I bought 2 in 2016 on a wonderful NCL cruise, but after the last NCL Epic cruise, I tried to get a refund. As I do not want to go NCL again. It was not the same quality or experience that we had 2 years earlier. So I will get another NCL under my belt and wait for them to improve again. 

I would call and try to get to a supervisor in the CN department and try to get the credit reinstated and book another cruise to not let it waste away. 

On 11/23/2020 at 8:15 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

If you did not cancel you would have gotten the points. What many did not realize is that when they started cancelling cruises, you can get a refund or fcc, but .....you still got points for not sailing. 

Steve

That was true of the first wave of cancellations, but not the later ones. The "error" was corrected for later cancellations. 

I'm facing similar issues. I have two certs that expire mid-April, 2021 and theoretically have to have completed a cruise using them by then. Not going to happen.

I saw comments here that NCL would extend expiry dates on a case by case basis while booking, just call and ask.

I did that a couple or three months ago and got no firm answer but some strong hints ! So, call and ask nicely 🙂

On 11/23/2020 at 1:15 PM, mscdivina2016 said:

Steve

That "error" was not only corrected, but around 5 months after my cruise points were awarded they were taken away.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I just checked and all my extra 88 points are still there.😁

Steve

Well we are platinum plus so it didn't matter to us. Our May cruise was cancelled and points were added after theoretical completion date but disappeared again around October time.

If you still have those points... Shh don't tell them, maybe they won't catch on.

On 11/21/2020 at 1:53 AM, DominicAUS said:

You’re the one that cancelled the cruise NOT NCL, you’re bound by their T&Cs. NCL like any other company is in business to make money and it’s down to the consumer to understand the conditions. 
If you had waited for NCL to cancel that would of been a different story but you didn’t. 

This is why I am waiting on my January 9th to be cancelled by NCL. My first cruise was cancelled last March so my FCC's bonus, cash that is now FCC's all have of an expiration date of March 2021. I want leverage so I will let them cancel. I should have NEVER took  the FCC 25 percent bonus and ask for a cash refund. 

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I just checked and all my extra 88 points are still there.😁

Steve

Steve

IIRC you still have cruises booked with NCL.

Our Latitude points disappeared eventually (we were on that March Spirit cruise with you from Cape Town), however we do not have any future bookings with NCL and we took the cash refund. Maybe that makes a difference?

A similar thing happened to me.  My wife and I had a cruise scheduled for April 2020, but on March 11 we re-scheduled to a December cruise because of the virus.  Of course the December cruise (to the Caribbean) has been cancelled.  We got an email saying that we would get a refund to the account that paid for the cruise.  It turns out that that "account" is my Latitude account, not my bank account.  The representative I talked to said that this is because WE cancelled the April cruise rather than wait for NCL to cancel the cruise.  Apparently if we had waited we would have the money in hand.  Instead, we have a future credit.

I'm not sure I want a future credit with NCL, because I have little interest in cruising with them again.  We will someday use that credit, I suppose, but it will be our last NCL cruise.  This is a shoddy way to treat customers.  Yes, they are in business to make money, but you make money by treating customers right rather than pointing them to the fine print in their contracts.

BOO, NCL!!!

@kfkolonel what you were told is partially true.  If you had waited for NCL to cancel the cruise and requested the cash refund, you would have cash in hand.  By you cancelling the cruise you accepted the terms of that cancellation, which sounds like FCC because it was a "peace of mind" cancellation after final payment.  If you had waited for NCL to cancel and accepted the FCC with bonus, the same applies.  Because YOU cancelled the initial cruise you had no option to turn that FCC into a cash refund, that option was only available to people that waited for NCL to cancel and then filed for the cash refund during the window available for their sailing.

Once your cruise is cancelled and you have accepted the FCC, when you rebook using the FCC that becomes the "account" used to pay for the cruise.  If that cruise is cancelled, your fare is refunded to the form of payment for THAT cruise, which is your FCC/Latitudes account.

I'm not saying it right or wrong, just saying that the outcome should be expected based on the terms you agreed to as part of the cancellations.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 1