The Daily for Saturday Nov 21, 2020

richwmn

today is Family Volunteer Day, National Adoption Day, and National Red Mitten Day (Canada)

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.  There might be a law against it by that time.

Meal suggestion for today - Creamy Polenta with Mushrooms & Collards

Drink of the Day - Brandy Alexander

Wine of the day - Marquis d'Angerville Volnay Champans vintage 2016

Augusta Italy
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Brest France
Nieuw Statendam

Rotterdam - Botlek Shipyard
Westerdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Volendam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Oosterdam

1121World.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  I hope our Canadian friends will shed some light on Red Mitten Day.  A salute to our Adopting Parents, including some non-human adoptions, and to volunteers.  Love the quote but will pass on the meal.  Even my alternate meal suggestion is pretty lame.  It's Amtrak pancakes, the last meal where I didn't need to fend for myself after returning from the Prinsendam November 21, 2017.  It is 8 months ago today I walked into my house (about 1AM) after returning from my aborted world cruise.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/lastmeal.jpg

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors and DH, both Covid positive, after her losing reading sight and a serious accident for DH

Covid personally touching durangoscots, Hflors, StLouisCruisers, and cruisemom42 (I hope I got you all)

durangoscots niece’s husband in the ICU

Dfish’s brother

Seasick Sailor starting to battle osteoperosis

Those with cruises just cancelled

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome aboard USN59-79

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

Belated Happy Birthday Joe Biden

Pfizer vaccine on the way to authorization

kazu working extra hard to maintain the Future Cruise List

and a  forever home for durangoscot’s foster dog

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Rich.   Thank you for the daily.  I love waking up and wondering what you will have listed.   I am happy to celebrate all three of these days!     

The food, drink and wine are all unknown to me, but I would be willing to try them.  

You all know I try to make a contribution every day with something from history.  Well today here is a fun fact:  November 21, 1980. 350 million people tuned in to see "who shot J R Ewing" on the primetime tv show "Dallas"!!!     I remember the shooting very well as my mother called me the day it happened.  She said all the women were very upset about "J R" being shot and how terrible it was, she, my mother thought "JR" was someone in the little town they lived in.  Then one of the co-workers told her it was on a tv show!!!  My mother said to me. "Can you imagine being that upset about someone who wasn't even real?"  My mother was a very down to earth person!!!   She did give me a chuckle!!

Prayers to all on our care list and a huge congrats to our celebration list!!!

I hope everyone keeps their spirits up (in spite of all the bad news on tv) and have a great day!!!

• Like 18

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

Red mitten day is a day to wear red mittens and support our Olympic Athletes.

Adoption is a wonderful thing.

Love the quote.

Thanks for the meal suggestion.  Looking forward to reading about the wine.

We've got a light snowshower here this morning.

Praying for everyone. 

Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 15

Good Saturday morning.  I'm sure the volunteering has been cut way back.  And our precious DD and all of our pets have been adopted.  Bought red mittens when we went on our first Alaskan cruise when we embarked from Vancouver.  Meal sound good, will have to see if we have any polenta.

Brandy Alexander:

Ingredients: 1 oz (1 part) Cognac, 1 oz (1 part) Crème de cacao, 1 oz (1 part) Fresh cream
Preparation: Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Sprinkle with fresh ground nutmeg.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Grated nutmeg
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Prayers and congratulations for our lists.
Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.
  • Like 16

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Volunteering and adoption are so worthwhile.  Nice to see them together since they both involve selflessness.

Thanks for the mention of Red Mitten Day.  Red Mitten day represents Canadian Olympic pride.  You wear (or buy) red mittens to show your support and pride in our athletes.

LOL on that quote. That’s a good one!

I’ll pass on the polenta & chards thanks.  I think we may have some lobster & shrimp pasta to perk us up tonight.  

A Brandy Alexander sounds great.  It would even be better on a ship but that’s not going to happen for a while 😢 

That wine sounds interesting.  Looking forward to cat’s description.

I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one that feels this way after the cruise news yesterday

8F41ED99-A5A2-4502-A2D9-3277D80CF2AA.thumb.jpeg.bfbee97b9ba2c9b833fee0163f1bd753.jpeg

After the 4th cancelled cruise (or isolation):

59CACA61-5086-4CE9-AB05-277FEFE5C97B.thumb.jpeg.13c328824e27db8c10cd30b4a77aebd1.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s care list & for anyone who needs them & a toast to everyone but one on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Saturday, everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks. 😷 

• Like 16
  • Haha 5

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a super combination of days! Volunteering is a bit more involved these days with masks, booties, gloves, temperature taking etc., but doable. And with so many people working from home, adoptions & fostering are up at all our animal shelters. Kudos to my Canadian 🇨🇦 neighbors for supporting your athletes that way!

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy & finding a great way to celebrate Jacqui’s efforts! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Another red wine today- I saw the “Champans” in the name & thought it would be a white wine. Wrong! Hope you are all well! @DeeniEncinitas, thank you for linking me with kayaking & wine! Two of my favorite things. 

Great quote. Not sure about the meal, might want to try a bite before making up my mind. Summer, today’s drink sounds great! I wonder if one could heat at least the liquor up a bit? I am envisioning a coldish evening around a firepit.😎

Helen - great story about your Mom & JR!  Jacqui - I laughed out loud & startled Bindi, when I saw your memes!

Prayers for all who need our support! Cheers for all we are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Pinot Noir from the Côte d’Or in Burgundy, France has spectacular ratings and a price to match. Lots of online vendors, but the cheapest price offered by a US vendor was $139.00. Gulp. I really enjoy a great Pinot Noir, but I know I could never bring myself to pay this much. No winemaker notes- which could be a good thing!

#67 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

95 - Wine Spectator: Pure and intense, featuring cherry, black currant and violet aromas and flavors, this red is seductive and approachable despite its youth. The solid structure is seamlessly integrated and bodes well for future development. Shows terrific harmony and expression.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 15

Just a thank you to all the philosophical, sage, witty folks who post here.  Best place on the internet, sez I.

Our cruises start April 17 in San Diego.  So hoping by then they we can see some progress made by vaccines!

To the Americans, have a great Saturday of Thanksgiving preparations, big or small.  To my new-found friends in Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, and anyplace I missed, have a great weekend.

Stay safe!

• Like 13

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Great things to celebrate - volunteering, something I've done for years, and Red Mitten Day to honour all of our Olympic and Para-Olympic Athletes.  As an adoptee, I'm especially happy to celebrate today with heartfelt gratitude to my parents.

Another snowy day in the works - in case anybody's interested, our snowstorm last weekend provided us with the same amount of snow that fell all last winter.  And now we have more, and winter's just begun.  Argh!

I'm going to pass on today's menu suggestion, as neither of us is a fan of polenta.  I might make something like "breakfast for dinner" using Roy's suggestion of pancakes, and adding bacon and eggs.  And wine.  I think a nice rose will go with pancakes - right?  LOL

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses for all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your masks!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 17

Good morning Rich, up with the chickens I see. Thank you for the Daily.

Hi to my sweet sisters Denise and Ann. Thank you to Roy, Hflor, summer, and all who add some spice with our morning coffee.

Our county is back in code red. I went to the market yesterday and stocked up the fridge. Now is not the time to take chances. Even forgoing our Saturday date at Farmer's Market. 

Our flagstone is almost finished on front porch and walk. Claudio outdid himself. It's beautiful. The last thing he will do is seal it and put our big pots back. Next week our blinds will be replaced (do not like the blinds you have to twist open) and hopefully we will be done for awhile. Although now that cruising is cancelled for some of us.....

Have a great weekend. Call a loved one, drop a card in the mail. Be thankful! Blessings to all!

33 funny Coronavirus memes to lighten the mood | Honeycombers Bali

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

Good morning all.  Interesting days to celebrate.  I have had a pair of those “Canada” red mitts for many years.  Our used to be Canadian owned Hudson's Bay store (now just “the Bay) sells them every year.  I once took a pair on a cruise and gave them as a gift at a M&G.  I will take a pass on the menu and the drink (although the drink does sound interesting).  My thoughts are with those on the care list and congrats to those celebrating.  Thanks to Rich, Roy and all those who contribute to make this thread an informative one.  I will be putting the finishing touches on my outside arrangements today and then thinking about tackling the inside.  My best to all, happy weekend.

• Like 11

Good morning, everyone.    

The county I live in has issued a stay at home advisory.   They haven't made it mandatory which means most will ignore it, but they are advising us to only go out for emergencies and food or medications.  I pretty much do that anyways, except for a few hikes out in nature where I am well distanced from anyone.  

The hospitals here are nearing capacity.  That is the real issue.  If we exceed capacity then we begin to triage and people who might normally be admitted will be expected to suffer at home as only the extreme cases will be treated in hospital.   My brother reports that his hospital is at capacity.  Roy, thanks for keeping him on the prayer list, but perhaps he should be replaced by hospitals at the limit.  Healthcare workers are burning out at a rapid rate and are getting sick at a high rate as well.  Cleveland Clinic reports 1000 employees out with COVID.   

On the brighter side,  I went for a wonderful hike this week in a newly developed park.   It just opened last week and isn't quite done, but we enjoyed the trail and the scenery.  

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0868 (2).jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

• Like 18

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.    

The county I live in has issued a stay at home advisory.   They haven't made it mandatory which means most will ignore it, but they are advising us to only go out for emergencies and food or medications.  I pretty much do that anyways, except for a few hikes out in nature where I am well distanced from anyone.  

The hospitals here are nearing capacity.  That is the real issue.  If we exceed capacity then we begin to triage and people who might normally be admitted will be expected to suffer at home as only the extreme cases will be treated in hospital.   My brother reports that his hospital is at capacity.  Roy, thanks for keeping him on the prayer list, but perhaps he should be replaced by hospitals at the limit.  Healthcare workers are burning out at a rapid rate and are getting sick at a high rate as well.  Cleveland Clinic reports 1000 employees out with COVID.   

On the brighter side,  I went for a wonderful hike this week in a newly developed park.   It just opened last week and isn't quite done, but we enjoyed the trail and the scenery.  

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0868 (2).jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

Stay safe, our DD is in Columbus.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Another snowy day in the works - in case anybody's interested, our snowstorm last weekend provided us with the same amount of snow that fell all last winter.  And now we have more, and winter's just begun.  Argh!

Oh Uggh Gerry.  Boy, even the weather is working in concert with 2020 there. 😔 So sorry about your snow.  It’s way too early for that much of a dump 😠 

Stay inside and safe.  

Oops, forgot when I posted to say that the Milanesas de Carne turned out quite well.  I guess something had to right yesterday.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.    

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0868 (2).jpg

IMG_0869.jpg

@dfish You have some lovely parks and hiking trails in the Kent area.  Nice for all the walkers in your community.

@rafinmdyou can probably take me off the prayer list.  My niece, her husband and children in Missouri have recovered enough to go back to work/school.  She has some recurring headaches and her husband is coughing, but the children are fine since they seem to recover faster.  My daughter's ex in-laws in Ohio are all over the place in their Covid experience.  Her ex sister-in-law has asthma and was in the hospital 5 days and still has some breathing issues.  Her ex MIL and FIL have had differing effects.  The MIL was asymptomatic and the FIL refuses to see a doctor and is having a tougher time of it.  He always was a stubborn man!  

Isn't it strange how all of us here on the Daily wear our masks and follow the rules with social distancing, yet the numbers go up all around us?  Frustrating isn't it?  I'm hearing that frustration in our Canadian friends who are now seeing numbers rising there.  Prayers for us all, please.

• Like 15