New vaccine

hollyjess

4 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

At present, there is no intention for this to apply to P&O.

The age demographic of Saga is such that their audience is within the 9 priority groups currently being vaccinated due to higher risk. They can therefore make this choice knowing that their audience should all have been vaccinated.

For P&O this would exclude a significant portion of their audience, who are statistically less vulnerable to the severity of the virus... such as every child.

Thanks. That makes very interesting reading.

5 hours ago, Beckett said:

I'm very happy that so many of you are finally hearing about appointments for your vaccines. When I first started to post on here the vaccine still seemed to be out of reach but with all the new centres opening it's become a reality.

I am still working at my practice and doing weekends at our small GP-led hub of 8 practices. Things are going really well with hardly anyone not turning up for appointments so no wastage. We have some lovely young students acting as marshalls together with a core team of vaccinators and admin staff - all volunteering and good on them.

Whilst most of the vaccination sites are very functional by necessity, I saw on the BBC last weekend a site at either Salisbury or Winchester Cathedral. As people were queuing to get in,the organist was playing in the background - it was absolutely charming. Did anyone see it?

Best wishes to you all and good luck with your jabs.

Jane

Salisbury I think.  Yes a lovely atmosphere

Glad to hear you are still going well.  Can I ask if you just vaccinate your own patients in the hub, or are staff shared across patients of all practices using the hub?  Just curious how it works.

25 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Shall I bookmark this for you to repost later Harry?  Your posts quoting how badly the govt have handled the pandemic must be approaching a hundred by now.

You obviously didn't see the programme referred to. I did. It referred to having the worst death rate in the world, talked about the reasons,  and mentioned specifically the indecision, the fact that the UK was the very last country in Europe to lock down, and eat out to help out really meaning helping out the virus. 

Would you care to defend our poor record? The usual complaint is BBC bias but this wasn't even the BBC. Difficult to defend the indefensible. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Is this letter written by someone in America? Tylenol is used there, but I'm sure it's banned in the UK. 

Avril

It is the same as Paracetamol, you wouldn't expect to see it here as the cost of shipping would be more than the value of the product.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You can leave that to someone else. Don't worry, you won't need to wait long. As you won't mention it, neither will I. They don't allow state subsidies neever.🤣

But they could have found some way to keep the plant in working operation through the pandemic. Instead we are now flying it in from Belgium. Any number of things can affect that situation.

59 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Apparently it’s on the NHS website (and his manager quoted it!) that you can go back to work if you have the cough! I suppose that can hang around for weeks but I wouldn’t have thought his colleagues would be impressed 😃

As regards the sick note for lighter duties there really isn’t much he can do that’s ‘lighter’.

I had a slight cough for about 6 weeks.

If John can start on Sunday it will give him another 4 days to recover 🤞

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:
This was a snippet of information someone passed on. 

No one ever talks about how to fight Covid at home. I came down with Covid in November. I went to the hospital, running a fever of 103, a rapid heart beat, and other common symptoms that come with Covid. While I was there they treated me for the high fever, dehydration and pneumonia.
The doctor sent me home to fight Covid with two prescriptions - Azithromycin 250mg & Dexamethason 6mg. When the nurse came in to discharge me, I asked her, "What can I do to help fight this at home?" She said, “Sleep on your stomach at all times with Covid. If you can’t sleep on your stomach because of heath issues sleep on your side. Do not lay on your back no matter what because it smashes your lungs and that will allow fluid to set in.
Set your clock every two hours while sleeping on your stomach, then get out of bed and walk for 15-30 min, no matter how tired or weak that you are. Also move your arms around frequently, it helps to open your lungs. Breathe in thru your nose, and out thru your mouth. This will help build up your lungs, plus help get rid of the Pneumonia or other fluid you may have.
When sitting in a recliner, sit up straight - do not lay back in the recliner, again this will smash your lungs. While watching TV - get up and walk during every commercial.
Eat at least 1 - 2 eggs a day, plus bananas, avocado and asparagus. These are good for Potassium. Drink Pedialyte, Gatorade Zero, Powerade Zero & Water with Electrolytes to prevent you from becoming dehydrated. Do not drink anything cold - have it at room temperature or warm it up. Water with lemon, and little honey, peppermint tea, apple cider are good suggestions for getting in fluids. No milk products, or pork. Vitamin’s D3, C, B, Zinc, Probiotic One-Day are good ideas. Tylenol for fever. Mucinex, or Mucinex DM for drainage, plus helps the cough. Pepcid helps for cramps in your legs. One baby aspirin everyday can help prevent getting a blood clot, which can occur from low activity. "
Drink a smoothie of blueberries, strawberries, bananas, honey, tea and a spoon or two of peanut butter.
We always hear of how Covid takes lives, but there isn't a lot of information out there regarding how to fight Covid. I hope this helps you or someone you know, just as it has helped me.
Copy and paste. I did 😊

I saw this on Social media a few weeks ago and a lot of similar things doing the rounds.  I thought most, if not all, were things best ignored as not true.  Do you have an initial source for that one which you trust for some reason?

21 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

At present, there is no intention for this to apply to P&O.

The age demographic of Saga is such that their audience is within the 9 priority groups currently being vaccinated due to higher risk. They can therefore make this choice knowing that their audience should all have been vaccinated.

For P&O this would exclude a significant portion of their audience, who are statistically less vulnerable to the severity of the virus... such as every child.

But SAGA have now for want of a better term put a line in the sand so to speak in the same way Qantas have on the flights. The others will probably have to fall into line I imagine.

Have they said how "vaccine proof" is to be shown. My father his the little card showing name of vaccine (pfizer) and the date of his first shot. He has had second shot on time but they never signed his card the second time.

9 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But they could

Who is this "they". The government can't just demand a private company change it's investment policy overnight.

And normally delivering product from Belgium is totally straight forward.

Just now, ace2542 said:

But SAGA have now for want of a better term put a line in the sand so to speak in the same way Qantas have on the flights. The others will probably have to fall into line I imagine.

Have they said how "vaccine proof" is to be shown. My father his the little card showing name of vaccine (pfizer) and the date of his first shot. He has had second shot on time but they never signed his card the second time.

Certainly in Scotland as we speak there is no vaccine proof card.   The easiest way to get one is to do a Subject Access Request from who did your vaccine  eg if GP then GP, if health board then health board.  However they are soon going to get very fed up doing these.  They are time consuming.  A solution will have to be found.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But they could have found some way to keep the plant in working operation through the pandemic. Instead we are now flying it in from Belgium. Any number of things can affect that situation.

I noticed the new build vaccine plant has been brought forward, the government will surely ensure current or new facilities are prioritised.

Vaccines Manufacturing Innovation Centre, Oxfordshire, UK (pharmaceutical-technology.com)

With the Saga passenger age minimum being 50 they should all be within the first 9 priority groups, except that passengers of 40 or over can travel with someone over 50. Also is this vaccination requirement referring to one dose or two?

This is an indication of what may become the new normal, at least for the foreseeable future

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is the same as Paracetamol, you wouldn't expect to see it here as the cost of shipping would be more than the value of the product.

I know it's supposed to be the the same, and if that's the case, why is it banned in the UK?

Avril

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Who is this "they". The government can't just demand a private company change it's investment policy overnight.

And normally delivering product from Belgium is totally straight forward.

The Government could have at least have tried in the way that have tried for car plants before. Especially in a time of national crisis. And now they are playing games with life on the vaccine rollout especially if what is posted above is correct about first dose effectiveness and the 3-12 week change. My father is so lucky you know.

1 minute ago, Dinglebert said:

Certainly in Scotland as we speak there is no vaccine proof card.   The easiest way to get one is to do a Subject Access Request from who did your vaccine  eg if GP then GP, if health board then health board.  However they are soon going to get very fed up doing these.  They are time consuming.  A solution will have to be found.

A compulsory government electronically verifiable document that the company can check, even if you have to pay for it. Apparently the EU are discussing introducing something along those lines. Otherwise you are going to get lots of forgeries.

39 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

From Saga FAQ

How will you check that I have received the vaccine?

You will be required to bring the vaccination document and/or evidence with you as proof at the time of boarding.

What if I am exempt from receiving the vaccine?

Sadly we would not be able to allow you to cruise and would ask that you contact our Cruise Guest Services who will be able to discuss your options with you and arrange a full refund.

Saga FAQ - https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/cruise-coronavirus-vaccine.aspx

Saga travel update - https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/coronavirus-cruise-passengers.aspx

34 minutes ago, Kentish Lass said:

Vaccination documentation and  or evidence with you of proof of vaccine at time of boarding .

Thanks Jaydee & Kentish Lass.

Interesting that Saga seem to be a bit vague about what they will accept, as it appears that there is no "official" one size fits all that is provided to the jabee.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kentish Lass said:

Just had an email from Saga cruises, as we are due to sail on 26 June 2021 stating that we must have been fully vaccinated against Covid at least two weeks prior to departure. No passengers who do not meet this requirement will be allowed to board. Will also need a negative test at the  port and full medical screening before boarding.  Will P&O go down this route, taking into account the difference in age range?

Thanks for posting.

Often other cruiselines will watch and see how things go.

Edited by grapau27

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:
This was a snippet of information someone passed on. 

No one ever talks about how to fight Covid at home. I came down with Covid in November. I went to the hospital, running a fever of 103, a rapid heart beat, and other common symptoms that come with Covid. While I was there they treated me for the high fever, dehydration and pneumonia.
The doctor sent me home to fight Covid with two prescriptions - Azithromycin 250mg & Dexamethason 6mg. When the nurse came in to discharge me, I asked her, "What can I do to help fight this at home?" She said, “Sleep on your stomach at all times with Covid. If you can’t sleep on your stomach because of heath issues sleep on your side. Do not lay on your back no matter what because it smashes your lungs and that will allow fluid to set in.
Set your clock every two hours while sleeping on your stomach, then get out of bed and walk for 15-30 min, no matter how tired or weak that you are. Also move your arms around frequently, it helps to open your lungs. Breathe in thru your nose, and out thru your mouth. This will help build up your lungs, plus help get rid of the Pneumonia or other fluid you may have.
When sitting in a recliner, sit up straight - do not lay back in the recliner, again this will smash your lungs. While watching TV - get up and walk during every commercial.
Eat at least 1 - 2 eggs a day, plus bananas, avocado and asparagus. These are good for Potassium. Drink Pedialyte, Gatorade Zero, Powerade Zero & Water with Electrolytes to prevent you from becoming dehydrated. Do not drink anything cold - have it at room temperature or warm it up. Water with lemon, and little honey, peppermint tea, apple cider are good suggestions for getting in fluids. No milk products, or pork. Vitamin’s D3, C, B, Zinc, Probiotic One-Day are good ideas. Tylenol for fever. Mucinex, or Mucinex DM for drainage, plus helps the cough. Pepcid helps for cramps in your legs. One baby aspirin everyday can help prevent getting a blood clot, which can occur from low activity. "
Drink a smoothie of blueberries, strawberries, bananas, honey, tea and a spoon or two of peanut butter.
We always hear of how Covid takes lives, but there isn't a lot of information out there regarding how to fight Covid. I hope this helps you or someone you know, just as it has helped me.
Copy and paste. I did 😊

This information is really useful Phil. It contains such detail that wouldn't have occurred to me. Thank you very much. Best wishes. Jane

• Like 1

1 minute ago, davecttr said:

A compulsory government electronically verifiable document that the company can check, even if you have to pay for it. Apparently the EU are discussing introducing something along those lines. Otherwise you are going to get lots of forgeries.

That should be fun.  There are so many different systems being used at the moment in the UK to record the vaccinations.  To try to introduce an over-riding one which takes the information from all those different systems and produces a report will take a very long time.   We don't even have common identifiers in the UK as patients.  In Scotland we use the CHI number, in England you use your NHS number.

There is no single UK wide health information system in place at present.  Trying to introduce one would be challenging.  Trying to do that with Europe I'll leave to the imagination.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beckett said:

This information is really useful Phil. It contains such detail that wouldn't have occurred to me. Thank you very much. Best wishes. Jane

Jane please read the snopes page I posted about this information. Some of it is considered to be dangerous and not at all useful.

• Like 3