New vaccine

hollyjess

59 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I will do the same but I’m cognisant of the fact that I am in the privileged position of doing so.

Unfortunately up here there may be a need to travel greater distances as we are more geographically spread out and I assume rural areas of England, Wales and NI  will be the same.

Completely understand. My wife and I did a 21 day touring holiday around Scotland just over a year ago (which we absolutely loved) and when it was said that 99% of people would be within 10 miles of a vaccination centre we referred back to that holiday and said that would be impossible for the highlands! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Round here the local health chiefs were complaining that NHS England were preventing them from publishing the figures.

That would seem very likely and I just wonder if the NHS England stance would in turn be due to pressure from above!

Perhaps time for a freedom of information act request?  Will take their time though, I am sure.

Edited by tring

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Desperate though I am to have the vaccine, I would draw the line at her. Anyone who is completely incapable of even sounding the letter ‘g’ (vaccinatin’, policin’ etc) isn’t coming anywhere near me with a needle.

So if a woman in a mask comes near you at a vaccination centre and say's..

" glad to see you have you got any allergies I should know about before getting the jab ?"...:classic_ohmy:

Run like hell :classic_unsure: !! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Since Frank got his letter yesterday to book his vaccination, I've been mulling over all the infomation that's been issued by the government, and I think your smoke and mirrors comment is true. The actual statement from Boris was 'that everyone over the age of 70 would be offered a vaccination by mid February' offered not given, and there's the problem.  Frank's 'offer 'was the closest vaccination hub at Leeds, then various ones in Cheshire and finally Stoke-on-Trent. With the vaccine supply in the North now being halved and diverted elsewhere I don't think Boris is too far off the mark when he said we could potentially still be in lockdown in the summer. It's all in the postcode😷

Avril

Very true.

Can I ask where in Cheshire?  We are within walking distance of West Cheshire, but I do not know of any big hubs there.

17 minutes ago, tring said:

Very true.

Can I ask where in Cheshire?  We are within walking distance of West Cheshire, but I do not know of any big hubs there.

I can only remember one. Whalley Range health centre,  Stockport because my sister lived near there. Before I replied I went back to the site to find a few more  for you and it says 'page not found' I'm  really not surprised.

Avril

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 9is said:

A quick update today was my brothers funeral.  It was a beautiful service for a wonderful man.  On a more positive note after leaving the crematorium and switching our phones back on, we had received a message asking us to book my mother in law in for her vaccination.  She lives with us as she has physical and mental difficulties resulting from a car accident many years ago.  She turned 70 last weekend and is on the shielding list.  My wife has just brought her back in from her first dose of the Oxford vaccine.  She had it at the outpatients clinic at Retford hospital and everything went very well.  My wife said it was very well organised.  

Pleased to hear your wonderful brother got a lovely service.

Good news your MIL got her first vaccine today.

You are a lovely couple looking after your MIL the way you do.

Graham. 

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

I will sit quietly and await my offer. If I need to travel some distance I will kindly accept my offer. If some folk don't I may get my offer sooner. I am 71, if I get my offer in day 25, I will be content even if I need to get in a taxi. A taxi fare v jab, no contest. If I get Jabbed on day 26, or 27 I won't have a hissy fit, but will still say thank you to all those dedicated folk working silly hours to try and keep me and DW safe. I won't be trawling the internet to find bad news, but will be planning some weekends away and some more holidays.

Great attitude imo.

Graham. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Very true, and those who saw the Scottish list that the UK government banned (still easy to find) can appreciate more fully why there are problems with vaccine supply. Why cover over information that helps people understand what’s going on? It just breeds even more suspicion as to what else is being covered up.

Truth is everything. Many of us haven’t forgotten Matt Hancock’s statement in December that ‘millions’ (his exact word) of vaccinations would have been done by Christmas!

The Scottish health minister published data that was commercially confidential and sensitive and gave the location of those supplies. It could have harmed the continuity of the UK's supply, causing unnecessary deaths. She apologized and had it withdrawn. You know why as it was discussed a good while ago. I would like to know confidential information but don't see a conspiracy behind every bush. No story other than someone in Scotland making a mistake and apologising.

Edited by zap99

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I will do the same but I’m cognisant of the fact that I am in the privileged position of doing so.

Unfortunately up here there may be a need to travel greater distances as we are more geographically spread out and I assume rural areas of England, Wales and NI  will be the same.

When the guidelines say Stay Local you would hope the vaccine invitations would allow you to stay local to get them.

Graham.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The Scottish health minister published data that was commercially confidential and sensitive and gave the location of those supplies. It could have harmed the continuity of the UK's supply, causing unnecessary deaths. She apologized and had it withdrawn. You know why as it was discussed a good while ago. I would like to know confidential information but don't see a conspiracy behind every bush. No story other than someone in Scotland making a mistake and apologising.

I suggest you watch First Ministers questions from Wednesday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I suggest you watch First Ministers questions from Wednesday.

The Scottish health minister graciously apologised for her mistake. The first minister said Westminster had a hissy fit. Statesmanship personified.🤣

Just now, zap99 said:

The Scottish health minister graciously apologised for her mistake. The first minister said Westminster had a hissy fit. Statesmanship personified.🤣

And if you watch the FMs questions you will understand why she made that comment in context and why much of the information could safely and perhaps should be shared.

For someone who doesn’t like to talk about politics you seem to do more of it that most on here.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Hit the nail on the head there, Avril, and the use of the word offer has been discussed before. If you make an offer that can’t possibly be taken up, you’ll meet the target.

Many years ago, Hoover ran a free flights promotion which went badly wrong and did for the company in the UK. Still easily searchable online.

One of the stunts they pulled to try to get out of the hole was to offer flights from airports they knew customers couldn’t get to.

Same tactics here!

You are spreading probably unfounded rumours Harry, the NHS letter says you do not need to accept their offer if there is not an acceptable venue near you, but your GP will still contact you once they have supplies available with an alternative offer. So you will have plenty of opportunity to have a vaccination if you want one  and since all the stats so far refer to vaccinations that have been made, there is unlikely to be any smoke or mirrors that will confuse the data.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

And if you watch the FMs questions you will understand why she made that comment in context and why much of the information could safely and perhaps should be shared.

For someone who doesn’t like to talk about politics you seem to do more of it that most on here.

Not political, just a tradition that when you are given confidential information and are told it's confidential, putting it on the internet is discurtious.

Apology - folks. I will have to retract my earlier comment about how successful we seem to have been in the Nottingham area regarding the roll out of the vaccinations.

It's been announced this evening that the start of the vaccination programme for the over-75's will have to be paused despite the Swiftqueue website only going live with the invitations on Wednesday. The target date to restart the programme is 28th January.

It would appear that the stats are showing the Nottingham and Nottinghamshire has one of the worst success rates when it comes to completing the over-80's and care home cohorts.

Ironically my wife and I just got our letters today. We'll sit tight and hope that the target date for resumption is a realistic one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Not political, just a tradition that when you are given confidential information and are told it's confidential, putting it on the internet is discurtious.

Health Secretary, Cabinet Minister, Fist Minister - spot the connection, you really aren’t good at these games Zap.

I’m sure there is a common phrase that links them all. It’s right on the tip of my tongue.......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tring said:

Very true.

Ok. So my grandson got into the site another way and I've got some more for you.

Sports City Manchester M11 3BS

Superdrug vaccination site Manchester Piccadilly

Andrews Pharmacy Macclesfield Cheshire.

Avril

I am getting vaccinated tomorrow morning. I am 70, live in Bolton. Wasn’t surprised as lots of friends of the same age were vaccinated earlier in the week. It’s at our GP surgery which is a 5 minute drive away so couldn’t be easier. Very relieved to be having it. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

I am getting vaccinated tomorrow morning. I am 70, live in Bolton. Wasn’t surprised as lots of friends of the same age were vaccinated earlier in the week. It’s at our GP surgery which is a 5 minute drive away so couldn’t be easier. Very relieved to be having it. 

That’s great. It’s good to hear that things are moving so fast in some areas. The more folks vaccinated the quicker we all get back to some semblance of normality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

That's great news Jennizor.

I got a NHS letter last Saturday, tried to book, offer was Norwich 80 miles away, later in the day the local Mass Vacination Centre in Boston Lincolnshire started taking bookings, and I got one for today (Friday 22nd)  at 9.15am. Arrived at 9.05 and left at 9.45.  Lots of lovely staff on duty, and very efficiently organised.  No reactions so far!  Last Monday was able to book my wife (under 80!)  for next Monday. Feeling very fortunate, but our second injections are not until April,  so it will be a while before we venture out!

• Like 6