New vaccine

hollyjess

4 hours ago, fragilek said:

Although I don't disagree with the fact they are companies with shareholders thus need to make a profit, I do think people forget how much money it takes to bring a drug to market.  I worked for one of the biggest drug companies and in research and development in the UK we had >5000 staff on site. For that number of people working, in my 20 yrs there we got 5 drugs from initial target to on the market.  That doesn't include the people working on site  running trials or those in the manufacturing process after approval which was undertaken elsewhere.  

I also worked in the Pharma industry, the cost of bringing a new drug to market is massive, every drug company is looking for the next blockbuster, big pharma companies will buy up smaller bio-tech or pharma businesses just for the technology to use in their own manufacture, that actually happened to us many years ago. Albeit we have had the discussion regarding AZ making the vaccine at cost, they are supplying at a fraction of the price of most other manufacturers, vaccines are not AZ's typical drugs pipeline so they have have done a great job of getting the vaccine out quickly and cheaply. It is sad that the EU have put so much effort into attacking AZ at every opportunity, shame they didn't do the same for the French company that failed to produce a working vaccine and let them down big style.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I also worked in the Pharma industry, the cost of bringing a new drug to market is massive, every drug company is looking for the next blockbuster, big pharma companies will buy up smaller bio-tech or pharma businesses just for the technology to use in their own manufacture, that actually happened to us many years ago. Albeit we have had the discussion regarding AZ making the vaccine at cost, they are supplying at a fraction of the price of most other manufacturers, vaccines are not AZ's typical drugs pipeline so they have have done a great job of getting the vaccine out quickly and cheaply. It is sad that the EU have put so much effort into attacking AZ at every opportunity, shame they didn't do the same for the French company that failed to produce a working vaccine and let them down big style.

Sour grapes comes to mind......x

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Sour grapes comes to mind......x

How true. I was looking at the news from Europe just now. Unfortunately the victims are the ordinary folk. Really sad.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 4

On 3/30/2021 at 3:42 PM, davecttr said:

My card is exactly the same, no name but vaccine type, batch number and date/time of second appointment. Apparently no electronic information from the GP either. Another can of worms, as if we have not enough to worry about on top of the insurance issue

Malta will open to vaccinated Brits from 1 June. They will require you to have a card. So quite important.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Malta will open to vaccinated Brits from 1 June. They will require you to have a card. So quite important.

So Malta is happy to have UK visitors carrying forged cards!

Will the airline you fly on to get there also be happy with forgeries?

Edited by davecttr

25 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Apparently so. Perhaps they don't see people as fools🤔

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Assuming of course Johnson lifts the international travel ban, indications the other day it might be August before that happens

6 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Assuming of course Johnson lifts the international travel ban, indications the other day it might be August before that happens

It's called managing expectations, but being selfish we aren't going to Menorca untill September. We will all know on Monday.🤔

54 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Difficult to forge the cards, they have a secret dye which only shows up in UV light.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Difficult to forge the cards, they have a secret dye which only shows up in UV light.

The airports will be able to use the hamster sunbeds that banks and shops used to put the notes under to scan for forgeries.

• Haha 1

Just now, yorkshirephil said:

The airports will be able to use the hamster sunbeds that banks and shops used to put the notes under to scan for forgeries.

You may think that, but best to keep that info to yourself, after all it's supposed to be secret.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just a heads up (Jane may have some more information or background) - some people round here who had been given dates for their second jab in mid-April are being phoned with offers of next day appointments.

Sounds promising, perhaps.

Hello Harry. Yes, we are giving 2nd Pfizer jabs at the moment. We started on Wednesday.  We were texting and phoning patients from Tuesday onwards with fairly short notice appointments.  The reason for this is that we received news of 3 Pfizer deliveries - again, at short notice. Our second vaccine sessions - two a day from 8am to 6pm with a half hour break for clean up, will run every day up to and including Sunday 11th April. We are hoping to recruit 6 vaccinators every day so a lot to get through! I suspect the same has happened in your area. Each vaccine hub gets a call to expect x amount of stock on the following day, or days, and once that call comes it's all systems go to mobilise the volunteers. Hope this helps. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hello Harry. Yes, we are giving 2nd Pfizer jabs at the moment. We started on Wednesday.  We were texting and phoning patients from Tuesday onwards with fairly short notice appointments.  The reason for this is that we received news of 3 Pfizer deliveries - again, at short notice. Our second vaccine sessions - two a day from 8am to 6pm with a half hour break for clean up, will run every day up to and including Sunday 11th April. We are hoping to recruit 6 vaccinators every day so a lot to get through! I suspect the same has happened in your area. Each vaccine hub gets a call to expect x amount of stock on the following day, or days, and once that call comes it's all systems go to mobilise the volunteers. Hope this helps. Best wishes. Jane.x

Royal Caribbean are offering 999 free cruises for NHS staff,names drawn by ballot.

Good luck Jane make sure you get your name registered.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Royal Caribbean are offering 999 free cruises for NHS staff,names drawn by ballot.

Good luck Jane make sure you get your name registered.

Take care.

Graham.

Really? Thanks Graham - my name's going down today. Jane.x

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dorsetlad said:

Had our second doses of the Astra Zeneca vaccine yesterday, 10 weeks after the first. Yet again, no side effects so far. We feel quite snug now.(no not smug, snug)

We had our second jabs mine was the Pfizer beloveds Astra apart from me running around screaming about the size of the needle, no side effects

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/28/2021 at 6:22 PM, jeanlyon said:

My husband has his second one tomorrow.  Mine should be in a couple of weeks.  Interested to learn on the BBC News this evening that only 25% of 50-55 year olds have come forward to be vaccinated.  They are being urged to apply before appointments stop tomorrow.  Over 60s there is a 95% take up!

Many of my friends are in the 50-55 bracket and there’s a 100% take up with them!

• Like 4

My parents had their second Pfizer jabs Thursday. Just like me my mum was amazed she didn’t feel anything when the needle went in, not even a scratch but, like me felt it second time! Very odd.

Must be that chip going in 😉

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Many of my friends are in the 50-55 bracket and there’s a 100% take up with them!

I seem to recall the BBC 25% figure being shown a few weeks ago to be rubbish. On here I think.