Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

I took my wife in for her 2nd vaccine yesterday morning of the Pfizer variety.  

 

So far she has had a slight headache yesterday, but that could have just been anticipation stress, and a painful arm overnight and this morning.  Much less side effects than the first dose where she ended up going to bed and felt unwell for a couple of days.  This has been a similar pattern to her co-workers all who had the Pfizer jab.

 

So much better this time, she went off down where she works and volunteers first thing this morning.


I had Pfizer and felt worse after my second one! Not really bad but definitely worse and my arm hurt for days after.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ann141 said:

Being a twin I am taking part in a study to see if people have antibodies (blood test)I have a weakened immune system so it will be reassuring if I find out that I have antibodies but may be a worry if I haven't!

Not for the same reason,  but my youngest daughter and I took an antibodies test on Monday, will be interesting to see the results.
Our household have taken part in an Understanding Society survey annually for years, they have been doing them much more frequently during Covid and this month asked if we would be willing to do an antibodies test. I think I pressed too hard on the needle thingy, my finger is still bruised!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:


My son is 30 and has asthma and can’t wait for the jab! He phoned his GP but was told he wasn’t considered a higher risk as he’s ‘never been hospitalised’. However it was worth phoning as they had a completely wrong phone number for him! I encouraged him to phone as in the past they’ve phoned us and John had unplugged our landline for a week while decorating.

Hello Sue. That was a good move to get your son's details correct as he may not have to wait that much longer depending on who is delivering the vaccines in your area. I will try to make this easy to read but as usual with the NHS it's complicated.

 

In March, all Primary Care Networks (a group of GP practices working together to deliver the vaccines) received a letter asking if they would be willing to vaccinate cohorts 10-12 ( in which your son would feature). All practices within their PCN had to agree. We all did. Yesterday we got a letter of confirmation giving us the go ahead to vaccinate those in the 10-12 groups BUT:

 

* All efforts have to have been made to vaccinate cohorts 1-9

* There will be enough staff and volunteer capacity to continue giving 2nd jabs to those who'd had their first ones alongside 1st jabs for the 10-12 cohorts

* This will not impact in any way on the day to day service delivery of core general practice

 

We've met the criteria on all counts (told you it was complicated) and, vaccine deliveries permitting, can start on the youngsters. I do hope this will apply to your son. Let us know how he gets on.

Best wishes. Jane.x

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Not for the same reason,  but my youngest daughter and I took an antibodies test on Monday, will be interesting to see the results.
Our household have taken part in an Understanding Society survey annually for years, they have been doing them much more frequently during Covid and this month asked if we would be willing to do an antibodies test. I think I pressed too hard on the needle thingy, my finger is still bruised!

I took an antibodies test as part of the Biobank studies and, despite having had one jab, tested negative. They do say however, that doesn't mean i don't have antibodies, just that they are too few to register.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

I took an antibodies test as part of the Biobank studies and, despite having had one jab, tested negative. They do say however, that doesn't mean i don't have antibodies, just that they are too few to register.

Sorry to hear this Sharon.

Hopefully when you have your second vaccine jab you will have lots of antibodies.

Take care.

Graham.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

I took an antibodies test as part of the Biobank studies and, despite having had one jab, tested negative. They do say however, that doesn't mean i don't have antibodies, just that they are too few to register.

I wonder how many of us who are vaccinated are the same, it's a sobering thought. Hopefully the second one is the key. Take care.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I wonder how many of us who are vaccinated are the same, it's a sobering thought. Hopefully the second one is the key. Take care.

Avril

It does make you think doesn’t it Avril..... I am due 2nd jab at beginning of May.

I’m fine with being outdoors but feel quite anxious at the thought of being indoors socially with a lot of people. I have to soon RSVP to a wedding invite for September (100+ guests) and now contemplating declining which I would never have thought about doing 18 months ago.....😢

I know I will be better protected by then but being with lots of people I don’t know & with potentially new variants around makes me hesitant which I do know is not particularly rational, but.....

Gill

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

It does make you think doesn’t it Avril..... I am due 2nd jab at beginning of May.

I’m fine with being outdoors but feel quite anxious at the thought of being indoors socially with a lot of people. I have to soon RSVP to a wedding invite for September (100+ guests) and now contemplating declining which I would never have thought about doing 18 months ago.....😢

I know I will be better protected by then but being with lots of people I don’t know & with potentially new variants around makes me hesitant which I do know is not particularly rational, but.....

Gill

 

In your own time Gill, do what is right for you :classic_smile:

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

I took an antibodies test as part of the Biobank studies and, despite having had one jab, tested negative. They do say however, that doesn't mean i don't have antibodies, just that they are too few to register.

Interesting, I had assumed that even after the first jag there would be something. I was really ill for a couple of days after my first jag, shivers, muscle pain, high temperature etc.

 

Did you have a strong reaction when you got the first vaccine? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

It does make you think doesn’t it Avril..... I am due 2nd jab at beginning of May.

I’m fine with being outdoors but feel quite anxious at the thought of being indoors socially with a lot of people. I have to soon RSVP to a wedding invite for September (100+ guests) and now contemplating declining which I would never have thought about doing 18 months ago.....😢

I know I will be better protected by then but being with lots of people I don’t know & with potentially new variants around makes me hesitant which I do know is not particularly rational, but.....

Gill

I feel the same Gill, the survival instinct I suppose. After reading Sharon's post, I have wondered if the severity of vaccination after effects was anything to do with the number of antibodies produced, because symptons have varied. It's trial and error at the moment I suppose, we're all still learning.

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Interesting, I had assumed that even after the first jag there would be something. I was really ill for a couple of days after my first jag, shivers, muscle pain, high temperature etc.

 

Did you have a strong reaction when you got the first vaccine? 

Great minds think alike Egelsbrech😉

Avril

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Interesting, I had assumed that even after the first jag there would be something. I was really ill for a couple of days after my first jag, shivers, muscle pain, high temperature etc.

 

Did you have a strong reaction when you got the first vaccine? 

No, just very tired that evening, then felt fine. I had the Phizer vaccine. I do hear that the AZ tends to have more side effects on the first and less on the second and the Phizer vice versa.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

No, just very tired that evening, then felt fine. I had the Phizer vaccine. I do hear that the AZ tends to have more side effects on the first and less on the second and the Phizer vice versa.

 

Maybe in time after your 2nd jab they could move you onto  another vaccine as they say they

work in different ways, nothing to say your 2nd jab may boost your immune up .

Early days yet Sharon 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fascinating subject, all the talk about antibodies in today’s press. And T-cells.

 

Trouble is, most of the reports conflict with each other as to what it all means.

 

Who’d have thought, just 15 months ago, that within that short period we’d all become experts on viruses, antivirals, hand gels, fomites, vaccines, immunology, bleach, antibodies, T-cells, social distancing, face masks, home hairdressing, online supermarket deliveries, Zoom and close harmony sea shanties?

 

Always a positive, isn’t there? 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Fascinating subject, all the talk about antibodies in today’s press. And T-cells.

 

Trouble is, most of the reports conflict with each other as to what it all means.

 

Who’d have thought, just 15 months ago, that within that short period we’d all become experts on viruses, antivirals, hand gels, fomites, vaccines, immunology, bleach, antibodies, T-cells, social distancing, face masks, home hairdressing, online supermarket deliveries, Zoom and close harmony sea shanties?

 

Always a positive, isn’t there? 🙂

If you have a look at the Celebrity thread you will find that all of our friends from the USA are professors, specialising in advanced virology.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

No, just very tired that evening, then felt fine. I had the Phizer vaccine. I do hear that the AZ tends to have more side effects on the first and less on the second and the Phizer vice versa.

We both had our 2nd AZ jabs yesterday, and so far no side effects to report, which might support the theory that AZ has more side effects on the first dose, where we both felt drowsy in the evening the day after the jab,and were heading for bed just after 9:00pm. Still time for that though.

Edited by terrierjohn
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Interesting, I had assumed that even after the first jag there would be something. I was really ill for a couple of days after my first jag, shivers, muscle pain, high temperature etc.

 

Did you have a strong reaction when you got the first vaccine? 

The most recent evidence, which I of course can't find today, is that side-effects after the jab make no difference to future levels of protection.  Would seem to be a face value that it should but apparently not.

 

Off now to do another day of jags.  As we have moved down the age groups there does seem to be less happiness at getting the vaccination.  Doesn't help we now have to do the whole blood clot speel when its AZ we're doing!   Couple of refusals last week but the numbers of DNA is pretty much unchanged.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, zap99 said:

If you have a look at the Celebrity thread you will find that all of our friends from the USA are professors, specialising in advanced virology.

FB_IMG_1612973733624.thumb.jpg.63ce932e33cb2067a2975b932e17d955.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

This is what I was saying the other day. We are going to have to be very vigilant for a long time to come.

 

On a different note, I had THE text from my GP. It’s time for my 2nd jab. I’ve booked for next Thursday, just 9 weeks after my first jab. I think I’ve been very lucky, I’m ‘only’ 61 and will be fully vaccinated already.

 

My husband went down the mass vaccination centre route and his 2nd jab is booked for 1st May. I’ll be done before him and he’s 69. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

This is what I was saying the other day. We are going to have to be very vigilant for a long time to come.

 

On a different note, I had THE text from my GP. It’s time for my 2nd jab. I’ve booked for next Thursday, just 9 weeks after my first jab. I think I’ve been very lucky, I’m ‘only’ 61 and will be fully vaccinated already.

 

My husband went down the mass vaccination centre route and his 2nd jab is booked for 1st May. I’ll be done before him and he’s 69. 

Brilliant ! Glad to hear your getting your jab ,the sooner the better for all of us as the UK stats are showing . India is a good example of what the virus will do when mainly left unchecked to run rampant through the population ,giving it chance to mutate . A stark reminder that we need the world vaccinating as well as ourselves if the vaccines are to outpace the variants.

 

 

 

Edited by kalos
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...