New vaccine

hollyjess

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

We also have to keep in mind the Brits who are chomping at the bit to get overseas at the 

very first chance possible yet show deep concern at  other nations flying into the UK.

Which tells me the  tractor driving mutants are not as bad as first thought although the 

John Deere tractor variant could be a bit of a worry :classic_unsure::classic_wink:

I would imagine that sensible folk have sensible thoughts. Cruising around the UK on a ship half full of vaccinated folk may be acceptable, flying to India, or welcoming them to Heathrow, perhaps less so. Folk will look at the numbers and assess the risks for themselves. Tesco, or nor Tesco, that is a question.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It is in the experts interests to keep us all frightened. Before this lot started we would all say ' who are you ?''. Now the words of any virologists  are worshiped by all of us armchair experts. When this is all over and the world gets back to normal, I don't thing the rent a virologist doom sayers will be quoted much, but the scientists who will get us out of this mess will be honoured. Numbers are falling ,less folk are dying. The World will open up soon to those that want to travel.

You must mean 'currently in the UK numbers are falling, less folk are dying'.

Because it's not the case elsewhere in the world.  India for example.  

We must expect waves of the disease to happen at different times in different countries. That's not going to change any time soon.

Unfortunately, that's what life is like in the Covid world, 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You must mean 'currently in the UK numbers are falling, less folk are dying'.

Because it's not the case elsewhere in the world.  India for example.  

We must expect waves of the disease to happen at different times in different countries. That's not going to change any time soon.

Unfortunately, that's what life is like in the Covid world, 

As I am currently in the UK, I guess you are right. The world will go on and predicting doom won't change much. Your opinion is exactly that.

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I find that I have positive days and negative days regarding covid.

On positive days I focus on the vaccine roll out, the UK overall falling levels of cases, deaths and hospital admissions, and the lifting of some restrictions.

But on negative thought days I focus on the rising cases around the world, new variants and their potential impact on the UK, the step 3 and 4 lifting of restrictions including easing of international travel, allowing University to open for the last month of term and nightclubs opening mid June when few under 30s will have been vaccinated by then.

The number of cases in our area has plateaued at mid teens per 100,000 for the last week so I feel that things are on a knife edge and any lifting going forward has to be carefully monitored and has to be reversible (sorry Boris) if necessary. I feel that there should be steps 5 or even 6 for high risk indoor activities until every adult has been fully vaccinated, there's a huge difference between meeting in a pub garden in mid April to close mixing bopping on a enclosed dance floor in late June with new variants potentially circulating. If we have to pour increased money into the high risk sectors to support them longer so be it, while at least the lower risk sectors are back up and running and no longer need supporting.

I think it's only natural to have good days and bad days.  

Since the start of the year, I've tried to just live in the day and to accept the way things are, and I think that has helped me. 

However, I find the prospect of lifting all legal limits on social contact and to open nightclubs and allow big events in just two months time to be a bit of a concern. Also, not keen on this idea of steps being non reversible either. It will always be a fluid situation and to rule out future action doesn't seem wise. 

We've done so well since January, just hope we can continue like this. Although, as you say, our infection rate is also at a mid teens plateau, so it could go either way. 

Edited by Dermotsgirl
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As I am currently in the UK, I guess you are right. The world will go on and predicting doom won't change much. Your opinion is exactly that.

Expecting waves of infection isn't predicting doom, it's generally what happens in a global pandemic. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Expecting waves of infection isn't predicting doom, it's generally what happens in a global pandemic. 

Really ?. Expecting mankind to prevail seems a reasonable expectation. Cases, deaths, severity are all falling in the UK. We must assume that other countries will follow. My holidays will be booked a bit later than normal, after examining the numbers. As you say, India is not looking good , so won't go there. Greece, Portugal , and other parts of the World are starting to look better. The world will open up at different times. That's what usually happens in a global pandemic, I think. I have never experienced one, so will bow to your greater knowledge .

• Like 1

Hmmmm.....where to get accurate information from?  

Expert virologists, epidemiologists and immulogists working in or in conjunction with well respected universities (but rubbished by a few vocal  posters here)?

Or a handful of armchair experts here who think they know better?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Expecting an end to it is also reasonable too as that also happens in global pandemics. All the signs are good for us here. We seem to be on the same path as Israel now, and their successful vaccine rollout has allowed them to reopen whilst still seeing a decrease in cases.

9 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Expecting an end to it is also reasonable too as that also happens in global pandemics. All the signs are good for us here. We seem to be on the same path as Israel now, and their successful vaccine rollout has allowed them to reopen whilst still seeing a decrease in cases.

Exactly - CV19 will always be with us to a certain extent, and just as we accept that thousands of people die from influenza in the UK each year, so we will learn to accept that deaths from CV19 will also continue.

However, with the use of booster jabs, and the development of herd immunity, life can return to some sort of normality.  We cannot let CV19 rule our lives - as social beings, we need to attend sports events, go to a concert or cinema,  and yes, dance in a sweaty nightclub until 3 in the morning (I wish!)

To continue to live a solitary life because of a perceived risk that is no longer credible, is not to live at all.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Expert virologists, epidemiologists and immulogists working in or in conjunction with well respected universities (but rubbished by a few vocal  posters here)?

Differing opinions from different experts. Every one has an opinion all are of equal validity until proven wrong. We don't know, they don't know, that's the great thing about opinions. Promoting a pet theory and finding an expert to agree with your view is such fun, but not much humble pie from the experts who are wrong.🤣

25 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Differing opinions from different experts. Every one has an opinion all are of equal validity until proven wrong. We don't know, they don't know, that's the great thing about opinions. Promoting a pet theory and finding an expert to agree with your view is such fun, but not much humble pie from the experts who are wrong.🤣

Everyones opinion does not have equal validity.  Expert opinions are based on evidence and the understanding of that evidence.  Yes there will be differences but the consensus tends to be the most factual one in hindsight.   You can always find an alternative opinion as some people just like the limelight and having their voice heard.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

You mean like Neil Ferguson, telling us all to stay at home whilst he's popping out for his regular helping of night time action 😉

Edited by cruisenewbie1976
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Everyones opinion does not have equal validity.  Expert opinions are based on evidence and the understanding of that evidence.  Yes there will be differences but the consensus tends to be the most factual one in hindsight.   You can always find an alternative opinion as some people just like the limelight and having their voice heard.

Professor Altman has changed his view from that he expressed in the JC a few weeks ago. So he doesn't know either. Pick an opinion that fits a pet theory, but don't bet the house on it being right. Things change. We don't know, they don't know. Exciting isn't it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Professor Altman has changed his view from that he expressed in the JC a few weeks ago. So he doesn't know either. Pick an opinion that fits a pet theory, but don't bet the house on it being right. Things change. We don't know, they don't know. Exciting isn't it.

Exactly. Even amongst the experts, there's a huge range of opinion. I'm not suggesting that's a bad thing, but just because they're an expert, doesn't mean they have all the answers.  Some were saying covid was over last summer, and we all know how that turned out.  After all, this is a new virus. And it's great that we can all discuss and have our different opinions, just like we did with Brexit when some were more vocal than others. 

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I was talking globally, not locally.

Some countries may be doing ok at the moment, but that’s clearly not the situation for every country. There’s still a long way to go yet.

Pandemics end eventually, we know that from history, 

Those expecting it to end soon, may end up being disappointed. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Exactly. Even amongst the experts, there's a huge range of opinion. I'm not suggesting that's a bad thing, but just because they're an expert, doesn't mean they have all the answers.  Some were saying covid was over last summer, and we all know how that turned out.  After all, this is a new virus. And it's great that we can all discuss and have our different opinions, just like we did with Brexit when some were more vocal than others. 

I don’t recall any scientists in this field saying Covid was over last summer. Just a very small number of politicians who thought they knew better.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

No, they didn't exactly go down the casedemic route, but they certainly suggested that all restrictions should be relaxed for those below a certain age.  

You've sort of demonstrated the point that I was trying to make, in that some of these "experts" are part of other groups or organisations that do have an axe to grind. Therefore, we shouldn't take them at their word without question. 

Watched the gran Prix qualifying, then off for a walk in the countryside and cream tea. We sat in the sunshine , 16oC for a while and talked about what travelling we could do once lockdown eases. We didn't discuss what view some  professor was expressing today as he will probably change his tune once the Mongolian deviant is rife. Covid will be a factor, but will not rule out lives. Chin up.🤣

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Since there seem to be equal numbers of negative and positive experts Harry, I think your view is as usual very one sided.

To be fair if all seems to be equal then there's every chance that Harry could be right , then again still 50% chance he could be wrong .Only time will tell but until then positive happy thoughts are the way to go :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2021 at 1:19 PM, Dermotsgirl said:

This is what I was saying the other day. We are going to have to be very vigilant for a long time to come.

On a different note, I had THE text from my GP. It’s time for my 2nd jab. I’ve booked for next Thursday, just 9 weeks after my first jab. I think I’ve been very lucky, I’m ‘only’ 61 and will be fully vaccinated already.

My husband went down the mass vaccination centre route and his 2nd jab is booked for 1st May. I’ll be done before him and he’s 69. 

Brilliant news, my husband might hear soon then as he’s 60 and waiting to hear about his second one!

• Like 1

I think, as a country, we’re doing well and if no one travels in or out of the country life could get back to normal. However we know people will be travelling in and out so I’m hoping our vaccinations really help and these new variants will be dealt with swiftly like the recent mass testing in parts of London.

I do feel some of these ‘experts’ love to fill us with doom and gloom. We shall see. I still have only seen my family once in the garden and one friend for a walk. I can’t wait to see another friend next week and another family garden visit. I think most of us are moving cautiously.

• Like 3

On 4/14/2021 at 8:04 PM, Beckett said:

Hello Sue. That was a good move to get your son's details correct as he may not have to wait that much longer depending on who is delivering the vaccines in your area. I will try to make this easy to read but as usual with the NHS it's complicated.

In March, all Primary Care Networks (a group of GP practices working together to deliver the vaccines) received a letter asking if they would be willing to vaccinate cohorts 10-12 ( in which your son would feature). All practices within their PCN had to agree. We all did. Yesterday we got a letter of confirmation giving us the go ahead to vaccinate those in the 10-12 groups BUT:

* All efforts have to have been made to vaccinate cohorts 1-9

* There will be enough staff and volunteer capacity to continue giving 2nd jabs to those who'd had their first ones alongside 1st jabs for the 10-12 cohorts

* This will not impact in any way on the day to day service delivery of core general practice

We've met the criteria on all counts (told you it was complicated) and, vaccine deliveries permitting, can start on the youngsters. I do hope this will apply to your son. Let us know how he gets on.

Best wishes. Jane.x

Thank you Jane, our GP practice seem to be doing well so I hope they call him soon, currently my husband is 60 and was called in good time. (I’ve had mine through work).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I think, as a country, we’re doing well and if no one travels in or out of the country life could get back to normal. However we know people will be travelling in and out so I’m hoping our vaccinations really help and these new variants will be dealt with swiftly like the recent mass testing in parts of London.

I do feel some of these ‘experts’ love to fill us with doom and gloom. We shall see. I still have only seen my family once in the garden and one friend for a walk. I can’t wait to see another friend next week and another family garden visit. I think most of us are moving cautiously.

We had lunch out at our local "stately home" a few days ago. Every table full, but in the open air with a breeze blowing. Ever so safe - we all need to support those that have not been able to earn a living for the last year.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

We had lunch out at our local "stately home" a few days ago. Every table full, but in the open air with a breeze blowing. Ever so safe - we all need to support those that have not been able to earn a living for the last year.

Absolutely. Hence why my friend and I had coffee outside an independent cafe last week instead of going to Costa! I couldn’t believe the queue for Costa plus we had ‘proper China’ and a seat!

I can’t wait to have lunch out again but I’m not booking any outdoor places at the moment with our weather. With our work patterns it’s not easy. 
I have just booked a NT visit for next weekend though 😊

• Like 2

Interesting article in the New Statesman:

Stephen Pollard's Diary: I have leukaemia, my immune system is in pieces, and so the vaccine is entirely useless for me

For everyone suffering with compromised immune systems, lockdown easing remains a source of great anxiety. 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2021/04/stephen-pollards-diary-i-have-leukaemia-my-immune-system-pieces-and-so

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Interesting article in the New Statesman:

Stephen Pollard's Diary: I have leukaemia, my immune system is in pieces, and so the vaccine is entirely useless for me

For everyone suffering with compromised immune systems, lockdown easing remains a source of great anxiety. 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/health/2021/04/stephen-pollards-diary-i-have-leukaemia-my-immune-system-pieces-and-so

Must be a nightmare for the compromised immune sufferers Harry and my heart goes out to

them who are stuck with this problem for the foreseeable future  . Just my opinion but they 

are the reason for us all to get fully vaccinated which also helps those people avoid being

struck down with the disease. I'm not saying this will be a cure all but going on recent figures 

it seems a logical thing to do , not to just lower our risk but for everyone who cannot have the

vaccine or it simply does not give them any resistance then we should help them by having 

our vaccine jabs . 

• Like 7