Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

That was my thought as well. The near zero figure for the over 60s was totally ignored!

We also need to take into account that the UK is now testing 2 to 3 times more people than most  countries n Europe, and that will increase the number of positive results, especially as we are surge testing in high risk areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We also need to take into account that the UK is now testing 2 to 3 times more people than most  countries n Europe, and that will increase the number of positive results, especially as we are surge testing in high risk areas.

Would it be disingenuous to think that some countries test less so that their case numbers are lower?.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Would it be disingenuous to think that some countries test less so that their case numbers are lower?.

 

Perhaps not on cases but on new variants very few test more than 1% of cases c.f. our 25% .

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zap99 said:

Would it be disingenuous to think that some countries test less so that their case numbers are lower?.

I hope so, but I do love a good conspiracy theory.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless every countries covid metrics are the same with testing, deaths, we shall never understand if the uk has suffered more. I havent looked but how many countries used the "within 28 days" for covid deaths?....

 

A % of those tested would give a more accurate figure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Unless every countries covid metrics are the same with testing, deaths, we shall never understand if the uk has suffered more. I havent looked but how many countries used the "within 28 days" for covid deaths?....

 

A % of those tested would give a more accurate figure. 

You should be able to tell by looking back at excess deaths for that year.  Every year there is a forecast of deaths based on population growth and the regular diseases, old age etc.  If there are deaths above and beyond that you should be able to see what was attributable to the pandemic.  Assuming, there are no other natural disasters etc at that time to muddy the waters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

You should be able to tell by looking back at excess deaths for that year.  Every year there is a forecast of deaths based on population growth and the regular diseases, old age etc.  If there are deaths above and beyond that you should be able to see what was attributable to the pandemic.  Assuming, there are no other natural disasters etc at that time to muddy the waters.

That would be a better way to look at it. However i would imagine there are a number of countries who are a little less precise in their death recordings

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

That would be a better way to look at it. However i would imagine there are a number of countries who are a little less precise in their death recordings

 

Most countries are pretty good in their recording of deaths,  but they differ in recording reason for death. I think the countries you woild want to compare UK with data would be good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So cases going up in the usual areas sadly. No extra vaccines for thise areas due to supply of the pfizer vaccine. However the gov say they have a stockpile of 5 million AZ vaccines. Should they not be getting them into people asap and maybe offer to the under 30s and explain the small risk......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

maybe offer to the under 30s and explain the small risk......

Then wait to be sued left right and centre. 

It seems the Moderna vaccine is being used in the lower age groups as well. My step son just had his first one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MX-Drew said:

Then wait to be sued left right and centre. 

It seems the Moderna vaccine is being used in the lower age groups as well. My step son just had his first one.

Thankfully in the UK we dont sue for every thing and actually let the individual make a decision based on evidence and freedom of choice. If the under 30s are willing to take the AZ then let them. 

 

Glad your son has had his and hopefully a large proportion of younger adults will follow suit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Then wait to be sued left right and centre. 

It seems the Moderna vaccine is being used in the lower age groups as well. My step son just had his first one.

I believe it has already been said by the government that if Astra Zenica is the only vaccine available people can choose to have it after the risks etc have been explained to them, in which case suing will get them precisely nowhere.

 

I notice elements of the gutter press seem to have a delight in stories about all the risks of Astra Zenica. I wonder why?

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

My son is 28 and has just made his appointment to have his first vaccine next week. I'm hoping he isn't only offered the AstraZenica one when he gets there.

It's a difficult decision - statistically he is in more danger from CV19 than a blood clot, and by being vaccinated he will help stem the spread of the virus, but it isn't an easy decision to make.

Hopefully he will be offered the Pfizer vaccine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

My son is 28 and has just made his appointment to have his first vaccine next week. I'm hoping he isn't only offered the AstraZenica one when he gets there.

My daughter is 30 and was given Pfizer, I had Astra Zeneca 

Michelle

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It's a difficult decision - statistically he is in more danger from CV19 than a blood clot, and by being vaccinated he will help stem the spread of the virus, but it isn't an easy decision to make.

Hopefully he will be offered the Pfizer vaccine.

Yes, he seems fine about it, I'm more worried than he is. He's been working from home since March last year but needs to start going to London again soon, so any vaccination is better than no vaccination.

 

8 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

My daughter is 30 and was given Pfizer, I had Astra Zeneca 

Michelle

That's good to know, thanks.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

My son is 28 and has just made his appointment to have his first vaccine next week. I'm hoping he isn't only offered the AstraZenica one when he gets there.

I may be completely wrong on this, Sarah, but I think he’ll almost certainly be offered an alternative to AstraZeneca (and indeed is able at that age to insist on it.

 

Jane, or someone else directly involved, will know for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as a follow up to that:

 

Can I choose which vaccine I have?

You cannot usually choose which vaccine you have.

You will only be offered a specific vaccine if you're either:

  • pregnant
  • aged under 40 and do not have a health condition that increases your risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19

If this applies to you, you'll only be shown appointments for the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine when you book your COVID-19 vaccination appointments online.

If you book through your GP surgery, tell them if you're pregnant or under 40.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just as a follow up to that:

 

Can I choose which vaccine I have?

You cannot usually choose which vaccine you have.

You will only be offered a specific vaccine if you're either:

  • pregnant
  • aged under 40 and do not have a health condition that increases your risk of getting seriously ill from COVID-19

If this applies to you, you'll only be shown appointments for the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine when you book your COVID-19 vaccination appointments online.

If you book through your GP surgery, tell them if you're pregnant or under 40.

 

 

Thanks Harry, that's really helpful.

His booking system was totally different to when we did ours and he struggled to find anywhere in the next couple of weeks, hopefully that's a good thing and means lots of people are booking to have it done! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My three, in their twenties, had theirs 6 weeks ago and it was the Pfizer, no choice. Their friends have all had the Pfizer too. In fact they haven’t heard of anyone in their age group even refusing to have the jab. Everyone seems very keen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

My three, in their twenties, had theirs 6 weeks ago and it was the Pfizer, no choice. Their friends have all had the Pfizer too. In fact they haven’t heard of anyone in their age group even refusing to have the jab. Everyone seems very keen. 

My three are all in twenties too but youngest isn't eligible at the moment. My son says out of all his friends and colleagues he only knows of two who don't want to have it. He thinks one will change their mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone

 

Sorry I'm a bit late with my input - just having a late lunch - and it appears you already have the answer.  It's definitely Pfizer for the youngsters.  No question.

 

We are absolutely thrilled that there is a lot of increased activity amongst the younger guys and girls (I cannot bring myself to say "younger generation" as I'm at risk of sounding like my nan).  Our vaccine hub is totally full this weekend after a sluggish start.  I hate to say it but the media coverage this week has been encouraging and it seems a lot of people have listened - and good on them.

 

Good luck to everyone's sons and daughters who are taking the plunge - or being plunged - this weekend.  

 

Best wishes.

 

Jane.x

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Hi Everyone

 

Sorry I'm a bit late with my input - just having a late lunch - and it appears you already have the answer.  It's definitely Pfizer for the youngsters.  No question.

 

We are absolutely thrilled that there is a lot of increased activity amongst the younger guys and girls (I cannot bring myself to say "younger generation" as I'm at risk of sounding like my nan).  Our vaccine hub is totally full this weekend after a sluggish start.  I hate to say it but the media coverage this week has been encouraging and it seems a lot of people have listened - and good on them.

 

Good luck to everyone's sons and daughters who are taking the plunge - or being plunged - this weekend.  

 

Best wishes.

 

Jane.x

 

 

 

 

Thanks for the update Jane, my oldest grandson had his yesterday and he is only 23. He was more relaxed about it than my daughter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Hi Everyone

 

Sorry I'm a bit late with my input - just having a late lunch - and it appears you already have the answer.  It's definitely Pfizer for the youngsters.  No question.

 

We are absolutely thrilled that there is a lot of increased activity amongst the younger guys and girls (I cannot bring myself to say "younger generation" as I'm at risk of sounding like my nan).  Our vaccine hub is totally full this weekend after a sluggish start.  I hate to say it but the media coverage this week has been encouraging and it seems a lot of people have listened - and good on them.

 

Good luck to everyone's sons and daughters who are taking the plunge - or being plunged - this weekend.  

 

Best wishes.

 

Jane.x

 

 

 

 

Thank you Jane. I actually tweeted the centre that he'll be going to, on his behalf as he was snowed under with work today, and they've confirmed it will definitely be the Pfizer vaccine 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company - Celebrate Your Freedom
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...