Jump to content

CDC issues level 4 warning for cruise ship travel


Recommended Posts

The CDC upped the warning from a 3 to a 4. 

 

What I don't understand is that they are saying if we do cruise we need to get tested when we get back and still quarantine for 7 days. I thought the recommended quarantine was 3 days after testing negative? Of course, they are recommending 14 days quarantine upon return if you don't get tested.  The guidelines change quickly.

 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23922-cdc-raises-warning-for-cruise-travel.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

You really need to be tested twice. I work in a hospital, so if we leave NY we need to be tested immediately when we return to NY and need to have a negative PCR test before we can return to work. Then we stay on quarantine for a total of 14 days where we are only allowed to go to/from work, provided our daily symptom and temperature check are normal. We need an additional test 5 days after the first test as well, and the DOH checks in with you daily until your official 14 days quarantine is over.

 

So the initial test is great, unless you caught cooties on your final days before returning. You'll be too newly infected to test positive; hence the need for a second follow-up test ~5 days later to confirm you did not pick up anything at the start or end of your travels.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@sailing12away  I understand the need to test twice, but no one is in agreement on the time-frame or even if a 2nd test is needed. Example, the CDC said for cruise travel you get off, wait 7 days, no second test. In Kauai you test 72 hours before boarding plane and then 72 after arrival. In Maui you test 72 hours before boarding the plane but no second test. Apparently in NY you need a second test after 5 days. I get that covid is new, but it seems that by now there should be agreement on the testing protocols. 

 

 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I get that covid is new, but it seems that by now there should be agreement on the testing protocols. 

 

Maybe it is because there is no national leadership that even tries to get "everyone on the same page"?

 

And, even if there is national leadership in 2021, I am becoming pessimistic whether the nay-sayers of doing what ought to be done in 2020 will acquire a more "public-health spirit of view" in the interest of the common good.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sidari said:

All well and good for those in North America but what about International guests.

I guess that the regulations of each country apply. If as international guests we were to disembark in an US port, we would have to see that we return to our countries within 24 hours, because we will be on transit that way. But all countries are more or less requesting negative tests or quarantine.

Ivi

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I guess that the regulations of each country apply. If as international guests we were to disembark in an US port, we would have to see that we return to our countries within 24 hours, because we will be on transit that way. But all countries are more or less requesting negative tests or quarantine.

Ivi

TB ... If you fail a test when getting off a ship and you are required to isolate prior to leaving the USA people need to know what will happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sidari said:

TB ... If you fail a test when getting off a ship and you are required to isolate prior to leaving the USA people need to know what will happen.

 

And to add another layer to the puzzle. The CDC states that if Covid is detected on a ship, passengers who test negative must use non-commercial transportation home. Does this mean chartering a special flight for the UK residents? I doubt the cruise lines will take on that much liability.

Link to post
Share on other sites

BB ... A good point, I recall they did the same with US guests and moved them home in freight aircraft earlier this year, are the CDC seriously suggesting that people should fly for 9 hours or more in one in order to get home. Looks like as in many cases common sense is lacking with these people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sidari said:

BB ... A good point, I recall they did the same with US guests and moved them home in freight aircraft earlier this year, are the CDC seriously suggesting that people should fly for 9 hours or more in one in order to get home. Looks like as in many cases common sense is lacking with these people.

 

I don't think it would be aircraft carriers. When the USA moved guests from the Diamond Princess and Westerdam that was a government operation relocating guests to the USA.

 

I 'think' this would be more like what happened with the Zaandam passengers when they returned to the USA from South America. They were one of the very last cruise ships to return and the CDC had HAL charter planes from Florida to several major cities and then bus/private car transfer guests to their home cities. 

 

But I seem to be the only one hung up on this particular "non commercial transportation" clause in the CDC conditions to sail document. To me, this seems like a huge obstacle, but I'm not reading about it any where else, so hopefully I'm mis-reading the stipulation. Also, the CDC has yet to publish the 'technical' guide that explains each of the clauses in the Condition to sail document so there is still a lot of things unknown. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

 

Is Sturgeon stepping down or something?  🙄

Not to my knowledge, but then she doesn't have anything to do with cdc issuing a level 4 warning for cruising....I'd be surprised if she knows much, if anything, about the cdc! 😉 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are scheduled to sail on the Seaside out of Port Canaveral Feb. 28, 2021 with another couple.

Final payment is due this week

Do you think I should pay the balance ?  If I do not pay, I think I automatically

forfeit my cruise. 

With all the cancellations so far,  I am hesitant that  our cruise will sail.  But,

many seem to think the Seaside would be the perfect "trial ship" for MSC because of all the open

areas.

I would love to hear your opinions and suggestions. TIA

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hamrag said:

Not to my knowledge, but then she doesn't have anything to do with cdc issuing a level 4 warning for cruising....I'd be surprised if she knows much, if anything, about the cdc! 😉 

 

I'd "also" be surprised is she knows much, if anything, at all.  😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, funji1 said:

We are scheduled to sail on the Seaside out of Port Canaveral Feb. 28, 2021 with another couple.

Final payment is due this week

Do you think I should pay the balance ?  If I do not pay, I think I automatically

forfeit my cruise. 

With all the cancellations so far,  I am hesitant that  our cruise will sail.  But,

many seem to think the Seaside would be the perfect "trial ship" for MSC because of all the open

areas.

I would love to hear your opinions and suggestions. TIA

 

 

My opinion.... I do not believe this ship will sail. I would not recommend making final payment. My advise from the start has been not to accept FCC and, instead, take cash back. You should be able to receive cash back for your deposit if MSC cancels. However; MSC may not cancel this cruise until after your final payment so be sure to know the penalties (if any) for you canceling vs MSC canceling. Again, just my opinion. Best to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

My opinion.... I do not believe this ship will sail. I would not recommend making final payment. My advise from the start has been not to accept FCC and, instead, take cash back. You should be able to receive cash back for your deposit if MSC cancels. However; MSC may not cancel this cruise until after your final payment so be sure to know the penalties (if any) for you canceling vs MSC canceling. Again, just my opinion. Best to you.

Thanks Bermuda !  If I cancel after final payment, I will get FCC of 125 % or can get a full refund.  If MSC cancels, I get a full refund or the same FCC if I chose.  At least that is what they told me when we booked, many moons ago.  I need to discuss this more with our friends.  Thanks again!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

 

Who is Sturgeon?  I thought Sturgeon were fish.  

 

You're right re: they are fish.

 

Also, sorry, required following the pond ping-pong.  🙃

 

There was a post regarding the new administration "that is coming soon" and the originator was from an identified country.

 

So, didn't think there were changes afoot.

 

wcot.JPG.6536f7673c9a72c4e92162828cce1653.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...