CDC Revises Update On Cruise Travel

I suspect this was in response to the COVID outbreak on SeaDream.  The CDC updated their alert with respect to Cruise Ship Travel to a level 4.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-cruise-ship

I continue to believe the key to travel is the COVID-19 Vaccine; both availability, a high percentage of people getting vaccinated and a continued success rate of 95%+

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Merry Twinkletoes said:

Cruises now marked “Call for Availability”:

Serenity

— April 8: Singapore - Dubai

— April 24: Dubai - London

— April 24: Dubai - Rome

— May 12: Rome - Lisbon

Symphony

— April 13: Lisbon - Barcelona

— April 24: Barcelona - Rome

— May 18: Rome - Monte Carlo

Correction to above for Symphony: just the first 2 segments listed above have gone to “Call for Availability”. Cruises from May 1 forwards are still available. The May 18 Rome-Monte Carlo doesn’t count because it is a subsegment. 

7 hours ago, Merry Twinkletoes said:

Cruises now marked “Call for Availability”:

Serenity

— April 8: Singapore - Dubai

— April 24: Dubai - London

— April 24: Dubai - Rome

— May 12: Rome - Lisbon

Symphony

— April 13: Lisbon - Barcelona

— April 24: Barcelona - Rome

— May 18: Rome - Monte Carlo

Well, looks like we won't have to worry about the Jan 5 deposit date on our Serenity B2B out of Dover May 23. Unless they plan to deadhead to Dover, the ship will still be in Asia. Didn't really expect it would go anyway, but it would have been nice to celebrate our 40th Anniversary onboard!

2 hours ago, LouChamp said:

CDC is correct. Its out of control.  In my opinion I will not risk the safety of my family 

But...but...I was told that masks and lockdowns would work.  NYC has shutdown most everything and mask usage is over 95%.  Same with California.

But they are having more cases.  How can that be??  They told us....

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

But...but...I was told that masks and lockdowns would work.  NYC has shutdown most everything and mask usage is over 95%.  Same with California.

But they are having more cases.  How can that be??  They told us....

And yet the opposite has been true in other places.  Our one and only lockdown in my state in the spring brought the spread down to a fraction of where it was, and our mask mandate has kept our positivity rate in the single digits while other states with dubious mask policies are double or triple ours.  We’re seeing a rise here because people are spreading it gathering unmasked in homes now that the weather is cooler, but that doesn’t mean that masks don’t work.

Vince

11 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

And yet the opposite has been true in other places.  Our one and only lockdown in my state in the spring brought the spread down to a fraction of where it was, and our mask mandate has kept our positivity rate in the single digits while other states with dubious mask policies are double or triple ours.  We’re seeing a rise here because people are spreading it gathering unmasked in homes now that the weather is cooler, but that doesn’t mean that masks don’t work.

Vince

Well, in Baltimore City no matter if you are in the middle of an empty field you have to wear as mask, or risk a fine.  Yet, the Ravens, who play in the middle of Baltimore have an exception as do who they are playing.  It is all the comedy of the absurd.  Keep in mind that Baltimore has “blue light zones” where you can run a red light if you feel unsafe, and not be ticketed or fined.  BUT, if you are by yourself in a field without a mask, a cop can give you a citation.  BTW, my best friend just had covid.  3 nights in the hospital, steroids and remdesevir, and she is back home and feeling fine.  She is 65+ has hypertension and a host of other problems.  Seeking treatment immediately is one of the best things you can so.  BTW, she was alone on Thanksgiving.  BTW, the wait time at the convention center is 10 minutes and results texted to you in less than 24 hours.  I give them kudos for that.

Since the trained medical community at large claim mask usage helps to reduce spread, who am I as a medically untrained person to argue?

In the Spring we were warned of a Fall/Holiday season surge, and that it could be worse than Spring. So here we are. Does that mean that mask usage is a failure? Or does it mean the numbers would be far worse if there was no mask usage at all? 

Right on schedule, two from my Niece’s indoor Thanksgiving gathering that comprised of four households are positive w/symptoms. 

#Homefortheholidays

https://www.bbc.com/news/55216518

27 minutes ago, cruisr said:

Well, in Baltimore City no matter if you are in the middle of an empty field you have to wear as mask, or risk a fine.  Yet, the Ravens, who play in the middle of Baltimore have an exception as do who they are playing.  It is all the comedy of the absurd.  Keep in mind that Baltimore has “blue light zones” where you can run a red light if you feel unsafe, and not be ticketed or fined.  BUT, if you are by yourself in a field without a mask, a cop can give you a citation.  BTW, my best friend just had covid.  3 nights in the hospital, steroids and remdesevir, and she is back home and feeling fine.  She is 65+ has hypertension and a host of other problems.  Seeking treatment immediately is one of the best things you can so.  BTW, she was alone on Thanksgiving.  BTW, the wait time at the convention center is 10 minutes and results texted to you in less than 24 hours.  I give them kudos for that.

I’ve called out the problems with having every block institute its own mask policy for months, and that exactly the problem.  That said, I’m not aware of any any part of the state that is actually issuing citations to unmasked residents in outdoor, undeveloped, completely unoccupied areas, even in the few places that have outdoor mask mandates when not around others.  My city falls under the governor’s order, which requires masks outdoors only when in close proximity to others.

Vince

11 minutes ago, cruisr said:

You don’t live in Baltimore do you?  That is what the residents are told.  If it is enforced that is another thing.  

I don’t, but I have family that lives in the city and a friend that’s a cop for the city...  I’m not doubting the outdoor mask policy, but I’m not aware of any areas in the state where you would actually be given a ticket if you were really alone in a completely empty field.  The point in making the policy less ambiguous than the governor’s order about needing a mask when you’re around others outside is to make it clearer and easier to enforce.  At the same time, there aren’t a lot of empty fields in Baltimore City, and cops have more to do than sit in the few that exist and give tickets to people that are really completely isolated.

The VAST majority of people outdoor in Baltimore City are walking on sidewalks, and it’s a lot easier to require everyone to wear masks than try to figure out how many feet apart they all are at any given moment.

Vince

I agree.  I always wear a mask, don’t dine indoors, and am using hand sanitizer all the time. I am just pointing out that the reason people are not 100% behind the vaccine and the recommendations is because they are so darn arbitrary.  You cannot do this or that, unless you are a pro athlete.  You can’t do this or that unless you are a high ranking politician.  It is all just more of the same do as i say not as I do.

50% of the population do not want this vaccine because of the BS that has been thrown in our faces.  Cruises are not coming back until, maybe, July and that is being optimistic.  yhe CDC will keep extending their power and lines like Crystal will probably cease to exist.  Sad.

10 hours ago, cruisr said:

I agree.  I always wear a mask, don’t dine indoors, and am using hand sanitizer all the time. I am just pointing out that the reason people are not 100% behind the vaccine and the recommendations is because they are so darn arbitrary.  You cannot do this or that, unless you are a pro athlete.  You can’t do this or that unless you are a high ranking politician.  It is all just more of the same do as i say not as I do.

50% of the population do not want this vaccine because of the BS that has been thrown in our faces.  Cruises are not coming back until, maybe, July and that is being optimistic.  yhe CDC will keep extending their power and lines like Crystal will probably cease to exist.  Sad.

I get that, but at the same time I kind of don’t...  It’s not like these alternative scenarios where they are supposedly using testing as a justification to allow for unmasked exposure haven’t been an epic fail in terms of preventing infection.  Yes, they’ve allowed the NFL to sort of play a season, but it’s not like there aren’t players testing positive almost every week.  Similarly, the White House’s use of rapid tests to allow unmasked indoor parties has been another example that should have everyone grabbing for their masks.  

Sure, it’s tempting to say, “why don’t the same rules apply to them,” but considering how much worse off the people skirting the rules are, who doesn’t think they dodged a bullet there and see with their own eyes why the masks are so important?

A rapid text with 70-80% efficacy is a good tool to help quickly sort out people so they know if they need to isolate, it should never be used to determine if people don’t need a physical barrier to catch and filter a lot of the virus from their breath.

Vince

I find the idea of catching this virus so alarming I would wear a paper bag over my head if it would help protect me. I also plan to take the vaccine as soon as I can,  today would be just fine. Nothing we do, especially cruising, can come back until this pandemic is over and the longer it lasts the more likely it is some things will never return. I take the approach that if I overdue caution I may look silly, if I am too carefree I may look dead. Remember the life you save may be mine or yours!!

On 12/14/2020 at 12:44 AM, TER777 said:

Yacht and Rivers have also gone to “Call for Availability” for all April sailings. 

We just received an email today cancelling our April 2021 river cruise onboard Crystal Bach.  I cannot say I am not happy as I do not think it is feasible for us to fly to Europe for a holiday. We tried cancelling earlier this month but Crystal would have imposed a 25% penalty on us so we had to wait it out.  Right now, our TA is seeking confirmation from them that with the cancellation of the cruise, this 25% penalty will be refunded to us and will not be forfeited...!

2 hours ago, bertrande said:

We just received an email today cancelling our April 2021 river cruise onboard Crystal Bach.  I cannot say I am not happy as I do not think it is feasible for us to fly to Europe for a holiday. We tried cancelling earlier this month but Crystal would have imposed a 25% penalty on us so we had to wait it out.  Right now, our TA is seeking confirmation from them that with the cancellation of the cruise, this 25% penalty will be refunded to us and will not be forfeited...!

If they cancelled you are due all the monies you paid.  When you get that money is anybody’s guess.  I would wait no more than days and then start a chargeback with your credit card company.  That seems to be the only thing Crystal responds to.  Good luck

We have an early May river cruise on Tauck scheduled,  Glad to hear other lines are cancelling.  If we cancel we pay a 900 pp cancellation fee.  I am almost certain the cruise will not sail but the Crystal cancellation makes me more optimistic.

I still believe we are going nowhere until August at the earliest.   Among the many problems faced by the cruise lines is that we have to make final payment months in advance when we will still not be sure if it will be safe to sail and if we will all be vaccinated in time.