The Daily for Monday Nov 23, 2020

today is Doctor Who Day, Fibonacci Day, and National Espresso Day

Blessed is he who expects no gratitude, for he shall not be disappointed.
        -- W.C. Bennett

Meal suggestion for today - Honey Glazed Scallops

Drink of the Day - Ramos Fizz (New Orleans Fizz)

Wine of the day - Roederer Estate Brut Anderson Valley vintage NV

Augusta Italy
Noordam
Zuiderdam

Brest France
Nieuw Statendam

Rotterdam - Botlek Shipyard
Westerdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Volendam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Oosterdam

1123World.png

Thank you for the Daily, Rich. I'll pass on Dr. Who and Espresso days, salute to Fibonacci.  Love the quote.  I don't eat seafood so I'll pass on the salad.  Sadly, I'm pretty much out of menu photos for the rest of the year as I didn't start taking them until about 2016.  The next calendar day I've been on a HAL ship is Thursday (Thanksgiving).  For the next 3 days my menu selections will be from my Grand Asia extended, the choices I would have made from the dining room menu for the days i was at specialty restaurants.  Today's is from September 28 when I was in Oosterdam's Canaletto.  If in the dining room I would have selected Honey Pineapple, Rack of Lamb with Cannellinni Beans, and Black Forest Cake.

Hflors, are you willing to share where in Maryland (county or region) where your son and daughter live?

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors son and daughter both ill with likely covid

Covid personally touching durangoscots, Hflors, StLouisCruisers, and cruisemom42 (I hope I got you all)

durangoscots niece’s husband in the ICU

Stressed out and overwhelmed medical workers

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

a great virtual silent auction for Dismomx5's church

recovery for St.LouisCrioser’s family

When I was working we had a rule at Social Security.  You attain an age the day before your birthday.  Congrats to Victoriann and Pat for attaining 58 years of marriage.

and Zoom suspending their 40-minute limit on free meetings on Thanksgiving

Roy

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily.

I had to google Fibonacci, thanks, I learned something new.

I'm  not a fan of Doctor Who, but I know many people are.  I'll pass on the espresso.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds great, but I don't have any scallops, maybe we'll have haddock, at least that's seafood.

Saying prayers for all on the Care List.

Sending cheers to all those who have something to celebrate.

Stay safe.

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Hflors, are you willing to share where in Maryland (county or region) where your son and daughter live

Roy

Our son is in Anne Arundel County and our daughter is in Hartford County.   Its strange they live a distance away from each other and both started with the symptoms almost on the same day.

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

That’s a great combination of days.  I wish I could celebrate the with an Expresso in Europe where they are made properly 😉 

Love that quote by Bennett.  So very true.

That meal suggestion sounds great.  Sadly, no scallops on hand so I’ll have to concoct something else for tonight.

That drink sounds intriguing.  I’ll have to see what summer says about it.

Freezing rain here.  Not sure if it is turning into snow or ice.  Oh well, we knew this was coming. 

I hear the library has re-arranged the books:

3751EBCC-6152-4339-889B-5E8C00F44C53.thumb.jpeg.c6795c8005cc152ed749f01e274a46c5.jpeg

Too many businesses have been linked to possible infection here.  YIKES. No wonder I need wine

43ED28FB-4690-4B7F-A605-A221D94EDBF8.jpeg.da5df22ddf2bf355ee0de6e6c0bbf05b.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those who need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful combo of days! Kudos to Mr. Fibonacci not just for his famous sequence, but also helping us move away from Roman numerals. I am a huge fan of the 4th Dr. Who, but never really enjoyed the others. I love espresso in a non-fat latte, or cake, or ice cream, but not straight up.

Roy thank you for keeping our lists & the tidbit about SSA. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! A lovely morning here & we have a white wine!

Another great quote & meal suggestion, but I am having halibut this evening.  @KirkNC, do you have an Aldi near you? If so, check their frozen seafood section to see if they have bags of flash-frozen scallops. Not only are they high quality & delicious- the bag sells for $9.99 at mine. I would like to think your price would be similar.

@Hflors- an extreme case of sibling rivalry?

Prayers for all who need are support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

A sparkling California non-vintage white with impressive ratings & decent online prices starting at $19.97. This sounds like a great choice for celebrations.

#27 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

Roederer Estate Brut, the first California sparkling wine produced by Champagne Louis Roederer, builds upon a 200-year tradition of fine winemaking that has made Roederer champagne among the most sought-after in the world.

Roederer's winemaking style is based on two elements: ownership of its own vineyards and the addition of oak-aged reserve wines to each year's blend or cuvee. All the grapes for the Anderson Valley wines are grown on the Estate.

Each year, the winemaker selects a portion of the best wines for aging in Center of France oak casks. Aged from one to three years, wines from this reserve cellar are added to the blend, creating a multi-vintage cuvee in the traditional Roederer style, known for its body, finesse and depth of flavor.

The Roederer Estate Brut debuted in October 1988, and has since established its reputation as one of California's premier sparklers, remaining true to the heritage of excellence and style of its French forebears.

92 - Wine Spectator

Sleek and luxurious, with expressive Asian pear, strawberry blossom and roasted hazelnut flavors that build richness on an opulent finish

Edited by cat shepard

Good morning dailyites.  Never cared for Dr. Who, had to look up Fibonacci.  Have solved a few puzzles of that sequence.  And Expresso alone is to strong for me.  Love the quote and the meal suggestion.  I have scallops thawing.

Prayers and shout out to our lists.

Ramos Fizz:

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup (2 ounces) gin
    • 1 dash (3 to 4 drops) orange blossom water*
    • 1 large egg white
    • 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) half-and-half
    • 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh lime juice
    • 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) simple syrup
    • 1 cup ice cubes
    • 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) seltzer
Preparation
    1. *Also called orange flower water; available in liquor stores and in the specialty foods section of some supermarkets.
    2. In large cocktail shaker, combine gin, orange blossom water, egg white, half-and-half, lemon juice, lime juice, and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for 25 seconds. Add ice and shake for 30 seconds more.
    3. Strain mixture into 8-ounce glass. Slowly pour soda water down inside edge of shaker to loosen remaining froth. Gently ease soda water/froth mix onto drink and serve.
Stay safe, social distance, refrain from gatherings, and wear your mask.

6 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful combo of days! Kudos to Mr. Fibonacci not just for his famous sequence, but also helping us move away from Roman numerals. I am a huge fan of the 4th Dr. Who, but never really enjoyed the others. I love espresso in a non-fat latte, or cake, or ice cream, but not straight up.

Roy thank you for keeping our lists & the tidbit about SSA. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! A lovely morning here & we have a white wine!

Another great quote & meal suggestion, but I am having halibut this evening.  @KirkNC, do you have an Aldi near you? If so, check their frozen seafood section to see if they have bags of flash-frozen scallops. Not only are they high quality & delicious- the bag sells for $9.99 at mine. 8 would like to think your price would be similar.

We do, I will check it out, thanks for the suggestion.

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning dailyites.  Never cared for Dr. Who, had to look up Fibonacci.  Have solved a few puzzles of that sequence.  And Expresso alone is to strong for me.  Love the quote and the meal suggestion.  I have scallops thawing.

Prayers and shout out to our lists.

Ramos Fizz:

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup (2 ounces) gin
    • 1 dash (3 to 4 drops) orange blossom water*
    • 1 large egg white
    • 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) half-and-half
    • 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh lemon juice
    • 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) fresh lime juice
    • 1 tablespoon (1/2 ounce) simple syrup
    • 1 cup ice cubes
    • 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) seltzer

Preparation

1. *Also called orange flower water; available in liquor stores and in the specialty foods section of some supermarkets.
    2. In large cocktail shaker, combine gin, orange blossom water, egg white, half-and-half, lemon juice, lime juice, and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for 25 seconds. Add ice and shake for 30 seconds more.
    3. Strain mixture into 8-ounce glass. Slowly pour soda water down inside edge of shaker to loosen remaining froth. Gently ease soda water/froth mix onto drink and serve.
Stay safe, social distance, refrain from gatherings, and wear your mask.

Sounds sweet and complicated.  

Good morning Rich, Daily-ites, sisters mine, and all who contribute.

Thank you Rich for making a great start to my day!

I would try the wine of the day. Thank you Ann. Thank you summer for the drink recipe. Not a gin liker.

Roy thanks for prayer list. Will cheer to everyone on our celebrations list tonight.

I would love to have scallops tonight, but I am making lamb shanks for me and since Allen isn't a lamb lover, I am making beef ribs for him. Maybe scallops tomorrow. Love espresso. Our on board quote was always "espresso before prosecco" except it was mimosa's. 

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Hang in there. Don't give up. Life is good and we have many, many things to be thankful for! God bless!

Good morning all.  Dr Who day.  I haven't heard that name for a while.  Dh will love your meal suggestion he loves scallops.  Roy's suggestion also sounds wonderful.   Now if only there was a ship available for me to get on to enjoy these wonderful suggestions!  Drink and wine selection sound good.   

On this day November 23, 1936 life Magazine was published for the first time!!!

Also in 1859 "Billy the Kid" was born.

Sending prayers to our list including my dd and ds.  A special congratulations to Victoriann and Pat for 58th wedding anniversary!!!  And congratulations to the rest of our members on the cheers list.

Have a great day all.

Gelen

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Dr Who was never a big part of our viewing, but friends of ours love the show.  I also had to look up Fibonacci; this place is not just for fun, it's informative, too.  I love espresso over ice with some flavoured creamer added in.

I like both suggestions for dinner, but the scallops remind me we have perch fillets in the freezer that I can cook tonight.  Fish coated with seasoned flour and fried in a bit of butter, along with green beans and a salad will be what's on our table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your masks!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Got up early today - this morning we are pre-signing for the closing on the sale of our condo. Actual closing is Nov 30. 

It might be a bit on the corny side (at least the older ones), but I do enjoy Dr. Who now and then (Wee-Ooo...).

Today was supposed to be a sea day on the way to Bonaire -

116476941_DSC00435(2).thumb.JPG.fcad465b5db1fe30f8387a497edbf94b.JPG

With a bit of a rainbow -

DSC00440.thumb.JPG.19c74c72f767d3fe0e5c0bbdabe44f7a.JPG

Thank you everyone for the lists, the cartoons and all the good cheer.  Be safe and take good care.

The scallops dish sounds great. @KirkNC we are in Charlotte and have a Sprouts store, and you probably have one in Raleigh too.  They put their frozen scallops on sale frequently and they are a great price.  They also have huge shrimp that they put on sale.  You might need to download their app to then get their weekly ads, but it is worth it.

Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Cindy

27 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

Thank you everyone for the lists, the cartoons and all the good cheer.  Be safe and take good care.

The scallops dish sounds great. @KirkNC we are in Charlotte and have a Sprouts store, and you probably have one in Raleigh too.  They put their frozen scallops on sale frequently and they are a great price.  They also have huge shrimp that they put on sale.  You might need to download their app to then get their weekly ads, but it is worth it.

Cindy

Thanks, we do have a Sprouts, it’s a bit of a drive as it’s in North Raleigh and we are in West Raleigh but next time we head that way we will check it out.

38 minutes ago, TheKingD said:

@KirkNC we are in Charlotte and have a Sprouts store, and you probably have one in Raleigh too.  They put their frozen scallops on sale frequently and they are a great price.  They also have huge shrimp that they put on sale.  You might need to download their app to then get their weekly ads, but it is worth it.

Cindy

Thanks! We have several Sprouts which I seldom go to, but for jumbo shrimp, I would. DH and DD love them.