THE EDGE

Himself

2 hours ago, Himself said:

I just went to the Junuau Web Cam--thanks for the link VMAX1700--and I swtched to the Ft. Lauderlale web cam and the ugly Edge was sailing into Port Everglades.

Father, I thought you were watching online rock music of U2 and their guitarist 'The Edge' 😁

• Haha 1

I have to say, I can't believe the Celebrity Edge class bashing I have seen on the Holland America board. 

Truly hope not all HAL passengers are so inconsiderate. It's kind of making me rethink my HAL reservation.

Perhaps the original poster was being sarcastic.🙂

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, SeaWatch12 said:

I have to say, I can't believe the Celebrity Edge class bashing I have seen on the Holland America board. 

Truly hope not all HAL passengers are so inconsiderate. It's kind of making me rethink my HAL reservation.

Because we like ships not ugly hotels..

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SeaWatch12 said:

Its just an opinion. No need to be offended.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SeaWatch12 said:

Geez, easily offend are we?  Look at my comments yet we had a cruise booked on the Edge for a TA in Oct of 2021.  We canceled it but not due to the ship.  I really would not care if someone likes the ships appearance or not.

• Like 3

You know, from a distance, most ships look pretty good.  It's what's inside that counts (he he).  😉

I think the shopping cart ships of Princess are pretty ugly, but I've still cruised a couple of them.  The NCL Epic is as ugly as it gets and I'm scheduled to do a transatlantic crossing on her in 2022.  I think the profile of the S-class ships of Celebrity are better looking that the Vista Class of HAL.  The whale tail on Carnival is a bit weedy.  MSC Seaside Class is different, but I've cruised that ship.  I did a World Cruise on the Queen Victoria, which is just a HAL ship on steroids.  

Everyone has an opinion, and it's fun to knock that around.  No harm, no foul.

Kel

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Geez, easily offend are we?  Look at my comments yet we had a cruise booked on the Edge for a TA in Oct of 2021.  We canceled it but not due to the ship.  I really would not care if someone likes the ships appearance or not.

I wasn't offended at all. 

I just don't understand why someone would go out of their way to start a new thread and call a ship they have not been on, ugly. I wonder what their point was in doing that.

I notice that the original poster "Himself" has a lot of fans and followers on this board. Me, I have never sailed on a HAL ship so I suppose I should mind my own business. 

Edited by SeaWatch12
  • Like 3

I have cruised Edge and without any hesitation, I say it blows away everything in the HAL fleet. The ship is stunning and the design is modern and comfortable. To date, it is my favorite cruise ship. 

But come to think of it - modern - so I guess I can see why some of the HAL crowd doesn’t like it. HAL and modern aren’t exactly synonymous. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Damcruiser said:

So what is the "Standard" by which the beauty of a ship is judged?

A bit of an expression in Dutch: Een vlag op een modderschuit.

Eye of the Beholder no doubt just like the beauty of a woman or work of art.

• Like 1

We would pick the Edge over a more traditional ship anytime if we get the opportunity,  all things being equal.    We will never know what it is like until we try it.

Always willing to try something new or different.  Besides, X is a very good cruise line.  We only care about what is inside the wrapper or the box.  

We are somewhat 'set' in our ways but not so much that we won't try something else.  We may be oldsters but we are stodgy.

Why not?

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, whogo said:

The Veendam was no beauty with her added cabins. Have all the uglified ships been sold off now so that HAL fans can throw stones?

Sold off?  They’re still building them. Have you seen the boxy forehead on the new Pinnacle Class ships? 🤣

A few years ago while on a cruise we had chapter and verse from a fellow cruiser who was a long time HAL customer.  He owned up to 4 or 5 stars.

Let's just say he did not exactly wax poetic about his two then most recent trips on Veendam. Quite the opposite- to the point where I thought he was exaggerating about his cabin challenges with the abundance of  water and the scarcity A/C.

Edited by iancal

11 hours ago, doone said:

I don't care for the Edge either, but I have to say, it makes me happy to see any ship sailing into and out of Ft. Lauderdale at the moment!!!

Doone i agree.  I wish it was a HAL ship sailing in.  The APEX and the EDGE must be anchored in the Bahamas.

• Like 1