Carnival Horizon in Miami starting up

phoneman69

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

Exactly right.  She has not sailed into Miami to take on food and fuel.  Now WHEN she might get cleared remains an open question.  But there is zero doubt in my mind that she will take the first cruise for the company.  And Breeze will be #2.

Breeze isn't cruising before Spring, so I don't see that.

17 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There is the topic of the Mardi Gras  and when she sails on her first cruise.

True, but Bleak may be correct.  I guess I was referring to the existing fleet only.  Anyway, Carnival has been fairly transparent about the ships and order (at least for the first couple) regarding the re-launch.  And there is no doubt that Horizon and Breeze are the first two from the existing fleet.

The unknown factor here is the vaccines and how fast they can be distributed.   I have a cruise booked for May 1 and I am a bit skeptical.  Like testing now, I see long lines and maybe several attempts.  You can be sure you won't cruise until you get one.  The trouble is I have to make final payment in late January.    

18 minutes ago, richfret said:

The unknown factor here is the vaccines and how fast they can be distributed.   I have a cruise booked for May 1 and I am a bit skeptical.  Like testing now, I see long lines and maybe several attempts.  You can be sure you won't cruise until you get one.  The trouble is I have to make final payment in late January.    

The distribution plan is pretty complete.  I think that you should be able to get a vaccine by then.  It does take two shots over two weeks.   CVS, Walgreens, and at least two grocery chain pharmacies have been cleared to vaccinate (one in your back yard).  Whether we could get to herd immunity by then is another story.

On this Thanksgiving, the fact we are discussing the possibility of this for vaccines, when just 4 weeks ago the experts saying it was 3rd quarter 2021 (whether factual or other wise motivated) is something we should all be thankful for.  

5 hours ago, richfret said:

There are many unknowns including how long any immunity might last.

Front line and health care workers (18+million?) will be first, then nursing homes (2 million? with near constant turnover), then the highest risks - there are over 34 million Americans with diabetes.

J and J is working on a 1 shot vaccine which might be a best option.

Edited by BlerkOne

This is giving me a glimmer of hope.  I know, I am wearing my "Pollyanna pants", but when my end of February 2021 cruise was cancelled on November 18th, I immediately rebooked on the Horizon.  Crossing my fingers that she will be one of the first to sail and keeping them crossed that it will be sooner, rather than later.  But, if not, I'll call my PVP (who is wonderful!) to rebook again.  And, until I hear otherwise, I intend to keep wearing my "Pollyanna pants". 😉 

Take care everyone.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

So now she's back in Miami. Hopefully Horizon passed every required test and procedure and we can now move on to the next requirement before passenger boarding. 

There are two roadblocks to the return to the sea.  The first and foremost is to meet the standards the cdc has set up, these will include changes on the ship and the crew. As part of that, they will need to complete trial cruises, with volunteers and auditors, at the end of that, hopefully she will be cleared.   They also have to meet a mandate of a certain judge in Miami or past Ongoing ecology issues.  I do not know or understand the steps on this one other that as part of it, the President of Carnival must certify to the judge each ship has complied.  I am sure there will be required auditing on this front as well.  All that said, Carnival has chosen this ship, the Breeze and without saying it, implied the Mardi Gras Will be the ships that lead the way.  

13 minutes ago, phoneman69 said:

So now she's back in Miami. Hopefully Horizon passed every required test and procedure and we can now move on to the next requirement before passenger boarding. 

Horizon has gone to "red" status for crew operations, so either they have had a case of covid among the crew, or they failed to provide weekly documentation.

19 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

How often do they update the status?

I believe it is updated weekly.  Horizon came on the list about two weeks ago, with green status, and just yesterday dropped to red.  From what I read of the status changes, a confirmed case on the ship would have resulted in a drop to yellow status, but a failure to supply the weekly EDC form is automatically a drop to red.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I believe it is updated weekly.  Horizon came on the list about two weeks ago, with green status, and just yesterday dropped to red.  From what I read of the status changes, a confirmed case on the ship would have resulted in a drop to yellow status, but a failure to supply the weekly EDC form is automatically a drop to red.

So in essence Carnival still is having issues with forms/paperwork if indeed that was the cause to go red. Certainly not a good look considering the environmental problems.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:30 AM, jsglow said:

True, but Bleak may be correct.  I guess I was referring to the existing fleet only.  Anyway, Carnival has been fairly transparent about the ships and order (at least for the first couple) regarding the re-launch.  And there is no doubt that Horizon and Breeze are the first two from the existing fleet.

Can you give me some info on how you know that Horizon and Breeze will be first? I am “supposed” to sail Feb 1st on Conquest. I don’t expect that to happen but I’d like to have more info about this.

thanks

23 minutes ago, momof3cruisers said:

Can you give me some info on how you know that Horizon and Breeze will be first? I am “supposed” to sail Feb 1st on Conquest. I don’t expect that to happen but I’d like to have more info about this.

thanks

First thing need to figure out what caused Horizon went from " green" status to "red" status.

1 hour ago, momof3cruisers said:

thanks

They have published their return to the sea and the first ships that will do so.  These will be the Horizon in Miami and the Breeze out of Port Canaveral. The mention of a third port was Galveston and probably will be the Vista.  Not decided is the Mardi Gras which is supposedly leaving the shipyard on 12/10.  All of the regularly scheduled sailings will come after the return to the sea has been cleared and on an individual basis.