Silver Seas and Azamara under one roof...

Azamarian

Silversea has already been tweaked – upward – with the addition of included shore excursions.  Eliminating the formal nights would be welcome – to me – but many Silversea loyalists actually like the dress code so I don't think that will be changed.  I also note on their website that "selected voyages" have 25% single supplements.

The recent changes to Celebrity (always included drinks, etc.) indicate a move towards the 'Azamara ground'. They are trying to hit the sweet spot (for them) of Azamara service and experience but on big ships, with the associated economies of scale. I'm not too sure how that will play out.

They may be thinking that the small Celebrity expedition ship might pick up the itinerary led aspect of Azamara as well.

They move Celebrity a bit upmarket and keep Silversea at the luxury end as direct competition to Regent/Seabourne etc..

53 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

The recent changes to Celebrity (always included drinks, etc.) indicate a move towards the 'Azamara ground'. They are trying to hit the sweet spot (for them) of Azamara service and experience but on big ships, with the associated economies of scale. I'm not too sure how that will play out.

They may be thinking that the small Celebrity expedition ship might pick up the itinerary led aspect of Azamara as well.

They move Celebrity a bit upmarket and keep Silversea at the luxury end as direct competition to Regent/Seabourne etc..

Celebrity's larger ships can't imitate Azamara's service and experience.  The itineraries can't be paralleled either because of the smaller ports that can't accommodate the large vessels.

How can Celebrity be moving upmarket with their guest/crew ratio? They have been chopping positions since RCL dictated the double/double program. They also sourced cheaper quality food unless you paid the specialty restaurants up-charge.

What makes you believe they won't try to make Silversea more profitable by doing the same? Obviously they won't begin doing it immediately.  However I suspect that will be their goal of death by a thousand cuts so only the astute Silversea cruiser will know the difference.  New cruisers won't have anything to compare it to as the new Celebrity cruisers don't understand how the quality was before.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Celebrity's larger ships can't imitate Azamara's service and experience.  The itineraries can't be paralleled either because of the smaller ports that can't accommodate the large vessels.

How can Celebrity be moving upmarket with their guest/crew ratio? They have been chopping positions since RCL dictated the double/double program. They also sourced cheaper quality food unless you paid the specialty restaurants up-charge.

What makes you believe they won't try to make Silversea more profitable by doing the same? Obviously they won't begin doing it immediately.  However I suspect that will be their goal of death by a thousand cuts so only the astute Silversea cruiser will know the difference.  New cruisers won't have anything to compare it to as the new Celebrity cruisers don't understand how the quality was before.

Yep, in a nutshell that’s it. Always Included is all about maximising revenue rather than being a concept. As for the Azamara experience on a Celebrity ship, I’d like to see them dock in Kotor.  Or up the river near the Hermitage.  Or in downtown Ho Chi Minh.  

Celebrity is a nice product with smart ships, but my experience of variable service onboard is not luxury. Or Modern Luxury whatever that is.  

Phil

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Yep, in a nutshell that’s it. Always Included is all about maximising revenue rather than being a concept. As for the Azamara experience on a Celebrity ship, I’d like to see them dock in Kotor.  Or up the river near the Hermitage.  Or in downtown Ho Chi Minh.  

Celebrity is a nice product with smart ships, but my experience of variable service onboard is not luxury. Or Modern Luxury whatever that is.  

Phil

Our three night stay in St. Petersburg docked across from the Hermitage was awesome! We continually looked out our balcony door to the magnificent sight.  It was also the backdrop for our White Night. So convenient for tours too instead of being bused into town. 

• Like 3