River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Right now a wedding party is having photos taking in the gardens. A splendid location.

Coronavirus restrictions make life a bit more complicated, I found the Residenz a bit strenuous. Park is so much better. More people around than last year.

No beer, just water for me. There are too many ice cream parlours😉. Cannot get past them all, have to stop.

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ritabob said:

It's tea time!  Have a scoop for me, too.

Are you able to post a photo or two?

I was at the river! The rivers take and the rivers give. Today is a good day, the river gave lots of people pleasure and may there be many more to come for everyone and river cruisers in particular. I gave the Main some water from my bottle. I wanted to post right from the river but my phone went. Who invented short battery power?!

IMG_20210729_133724.thumb.jpg.6cf4f67fe48f923d400bffa32475f947.jpg

IMG_20210729_154628.thumb.jpg.59cb9cd1095478d5d0e651af62147eed.jpg

IMG_20210729_161614.thumb.jpg.c9d454cc2a6769635fd4954d5feca59b.jpg

IMG_20210729_161930.thumb.jpg.1b36dbefd743e0390e3f9cdd28dbd7ac.jpg

notamermaid

• Like 8

We are to begin our cruise experience in Prague, then on to Budapest and along the riverway ending in Amsterdam.

Have there been any restrictions?

I'm very apprehensive about this trip and would like to cancel until 2022.

This will be my second Viking river cruise.  The first was in Russia in 2019................everyone onboard ended up sick by the end of the trip..............Oct.  (my thoughts is we experienced Covid, but not confirmations).

It has been a long day and a good one. I am finishing the day with a glass of Silvaner wine. Sorry about the sketchiness of posts. I am sure I have missed some of you during the day, it had been a bit more complicated than I had wanted.

Thank you everyone for joining, coming along and posting. If you are around now, be assured that I am thinking of you while enjoying the wine. A toast to everything that is good in life.

Cheers!

IMG_20210729_223041.thumb.jpg.cc1147184541ca52faf2ad032311cd2f.jpg

notamermaid

• Like 5

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

It has been a long day and a good one. I am finishing the day with a glass of Silvaner wine. Sorry about the sketchiness of posts. I am sure I have missed some of you during the day, it had been a bit more complicated than I had wanted.

Thank you everyone for joining, coming along and posting. If you are around now, be assured that I am thinking of you while enjoying the wine. A toast to everything that is good in life.

Cheers!

IMG_20210729_223041.thumb.jpg.cc1147184541ca52faf2ad032311cd2f.jpg

notamermaid

Lovely!  But you should drink it on the bridge! Thank you for the nice memories.

• Like 1

Good morning from a village outside of Würzburg! Great for avoiding people and for getting fresh air. The sun is out and it looks good for exploring 🙂.

9 hours ago, rcaruso said:

Lovely!  But you should drink it on the bridge! Thank you for the nice memories.

My pleasure. The bridge, yeaahh, that did not work out as planned... Sorry.

Last night, just after I had posted the glass of Silvaner - one was enough as I had had beer before and had tipsy ice cream for dessert - I sipped the wine and the background music by sheer coincidence happened to be Louis Armstrong's What a wonderful World.

Then I walked out to see the stars with glass in hand. Wonderful indeed!

notamermaid

• Like 8

@sharkster77, just a head's up... Canadian Border Guards have decided to strike, they are supposed to go off just before we open up for Americans (I think Aug 5, we open Aug 9).  Will only be a hassle for you unless you have to make a connecting flight in Calgary.  Also, Alberta is removing all Covid precautions (not federal though, they can't do that) Aug 19, and their cases are climbing already.  Keep an eye on things for your trip.... 

3 hours ago, Daisi said:

@sharkster77, just a head's up... Canadian Border Guards have decided to strike, they are supposed to go off just before we open up for Americans (I think Aug 5, we open Aug 9).  Will only be a hassle for you unless you have to make a connecting flight in Calgary.  Also, Alberta is removing all Covid precautions (not federal though, they can't do that) Aug 19, and their cases are climbing already.  Keep an eye on things for your trip.... 

Thanks @Daisi.  We aren't scheduled to go until Sept. 10.  Connecting in Toronto to get to Calgary.

Collette Tours has already announced that several trips to Canada will run---but not ours as yet.  I think the hold up may be that we're slated to leave Calgary, head south to Waterton Lakes NP.  One morning there we are to head into Glacier NP for a day, returning to  Waterton Lakes at the end of the day.  I would imagine leaving Canada, entering the US for part of a day, then re-entering Canada may be a sticking point.  We figure Collette is trying to re-structure the itinerary to get around that.  A decision in terms of "go" or "cancel" is supposed to be made in the next 10 days.

Yeah, we've read that Alberta is a lot like our red states---hesitant to take this virus seriously.  Initial glee over the border opening has now been tempered with concern over this nasty delta variant, which can make vaccincated people sick, though not seriously.

Good morning from the Rhine valley! I have changed river and am back at home. This has been a short and intense trip. Return leg yesterday saw a short visit to relatives near Frankfurt, Friday was - not telling yet, that is for later, you will be surprised...

Today I have a short birthday do that wants my attention, I was the intermediary for organising a surprise - not my birthday.

I have a bit of catching up to do on CC and in the flat. Tomorrow is sleeping in. I need it.

So, a bit of info on organisation. All us travellers required a Covid test within 24 hours of hotel stay. Took a bit of organising but worked. As Würzburg and its rural district are low Covid areas we did not need another test during our stay.

Masks were required indoors wherever we went, outside when queuing up for ice-cream, etc. Only FFP2 (or N95), not the standard surgical masks. Walk into restaurant with mask on, sit down, take mask off, fill in form for contact tracing and order food. Waiters wear masks all the time.

Some attractions have restricted entry, are closed, are open with online pre-booking or only with a guide. Outdoors I saw no restrictions. The market in Würzburg was the only place where I noticed a mask requirement for the whole outdoor area. Würzburg Residenz had attendants inside controlling the number of people allowed in each chamber. As far as I am concerned, they can keep that measure, it really helps with appreciating the place.

The old Main Bridge was probably the busiest place in Würzburg which instinct made us avoid it. I actually found that I could appreciate it more seeing it from the embankment and I really recommend that. I will come back to the subject of the bridge.

notamermaid

• Like 3

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Good morning from the Rhine valley! I have changed river and am back at home. This has been a short and intense trip. Return leg yesterday saw a short visit to relatives near Frankfurt, Friday was - not telling yet, that is for later, you will be surprised...

Today I have a short birthday do that wants my attention, I was the intermediary for organising a surprise - not my birthday.

I have a bit of catching up to do on CC and in the flat. Tomorrow is sleeping in. I need it.

So, a bit of info on organisation. All us travellers required a Covid test within 24 hours of hotel stay. Took a bit of organising but worked. As Würzburg and its rural district are low Covid areas we did not need another test during our stay.

Masks were required indoors wherever we went, outside when queuing up for ice-cream, etc. Only FFP2 (or N95), not the standard surgical masks. Walk into restaurant with mask on, sit down, take mask off, fill in form for contact tracing and order food. Waiters wear masks all the time.

Some attractions have restricted entry, are closed, are open with online pre-booking or only with a guide. Outdoors I saw no restrictions. The market in Würzburg was the only place where I noticed a mask requirement for the whole outdoor area. Würzburg Residenz had attendants inside controlling the number of people allowed in each chamber. As far as I am concerned, they can keep that measure, it really helps with appreciating the place.

The old Main Bridge was probably the busiest place in Würzburg which instinct made us avoid it. I actually found that I could appreciate it more seeing it from the embankment and I really recommend that. I will come back to the subject of the bridge.

notamermaid

Good move on the bridge, I hadn't thought about the virus when I posted.  Too much uncertainty in these days.  Thanks for posting.  Did you go to Veitshochsheim?  Or perhaps Karlstadt?

23 minutes ago, rcaruso said:

Good move on the bridge, I hadn't thought about the virus when I posted.  Too much uncertainty in these days.  Thanks for posting.  Did you go to Veitshochsheim?  Or perhaps Karlstadt?

I didn't unfortunately. Too little time. See post above about Friday (surprise change of plan) and Saturday was visiting relatives and much driving. Thought about you when I read Karlstadt on the map.

I have added more places I want to see in Franconia, I could spend a week there. Originally I had really just wanted to see the village of my ancestors last year, now I have been to the area a second time and am already planning on going again.

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 2:48 PM, Second seating said:

Thank you notamermaid for great pictures! We are just back from a trip to Bermuda, short trip for east coasters.

DD10C4CE-4A40-43A1-9F46-930D6A4FFCCD.jpeg

653EF640-36E7-4E89-B62B-379CEE995B9E.jpeg

Home for me! Hope it was a good trip! I know the people who own the boat in the first pic. They live just down the beach from Cambridge. 💗

Edited by Coli
I can’t spell!
  • Like 1