River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

You nearly caught me out there but I remembered the last time I did my wonderful pickup before getting my mini on steroids the scale was in both but I understand psi better.

There was just along from The White Company a coffee shop we nearly missed our train listening to the players, one was a lady member of the Royal Symphony Orchestra who played with a very elderly gentleman I’m not sure who had the most style or charisma, it’s the kids who are the cutest.

• Like 1

It's been metric in Canada since 75, I grew up really only knowing metric. People here still refer to sq. foot, linear feet etc. when talking building or homes, and meat is advertised by pound but priced by kg, but I buy by size so that doesn't bother me. I don't know if we will ever be "fully" metric. 

The courts decided yesterday that the excursion boat which sank in Brohl is a "boat" not a "shipwreck". This has implications for the court case with auction. But first for me it means hooray there is hope yet for this ship that also has had me twice as a passenger (many years ago).

notamermaid

• Like 2

It has been a busy weekend, tourists are out and about, getting more international again even away from the trodden paths. Certainly feels that way to me as I have finally met the first Australians! Here I was moaning a few weeks ago about never having met "proper" Australians and there they appeared, complete with real Australian accent and it seems not able to speak German (beyond a few words). A pleasant couple happy to share a story. 🙂🙂

Apart from that I have been able to find strawberries from Niederwerth, the only island in the Rhine river that is a village. It is well-known for its fertile land and good produce.

Hope you all had a good Whit Sunday and Monday or generally a good weekend.

notamermaid

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

It has been a busy weekend, tourists are out and about, getting more international again even away from the trodden paths. Certainly feels that way to me as I have finally met the first Australians! Here I was moaning a few weeks ago about never having met "proper" Australians and there they appeared, complete with real Australian accent and it seems not able to speak German (beyond a few words). A pleasant couple happy to share a story. 🙂🙂

Apart from that I have been able to find strawberries from Niederwerth, the only island in the Rhine river that is a village. It is well-known for its fertile land and good produce.

Hope you all had a good Whit Sunday and Monday or generally a good weekend.

notamermaid

Your comment on meeting Australians is interesting.  On our recent Swiss rail tour (with Trafalgar), out of 45 people, at least 10 or more were from Australia.  We joked that half the group was either Australian or from Florida.

5 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

Your comment on meeting Australians is interesting.  On our recent Swiss rail tour (with Trafalgar), out of 45 people, at least 10 or more were from Australia.  We joked that half the group was either Australian or from Florida.

My Uniworld cruise last month had almost a dozen Australians on it.

Oh I am sure I have come across Australians before, passing each other in the street in Koblenz, or somewhere in England. I just never consciously met any and spoke to them. It was fun listening to them. You know, they told me they appreciated the sunshine as they have a cold winter down there now. Not sure if it is just a fun story or true: they said that Canberra became the capital of Australia because Sydney and Melbourne argued over the honour. So Canberra was chosen. If true, it applies what we say: "Wenn zwei sich streiten, freut sich der Dritte". When two (people) quarrel, the third one rejoices.

notamermaid

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Not sure if it is just a fun story or true: they said that Canberra became the capital of Australia because Sydney and Melbourne argued over the honour.

Canada had the same issue. Queen Victoria chose Ottawa to avoid choosing Toronto or Montreal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Oh I am sure I have come across Australians before, passing each other in the street in Koblenz, or somewhere in England. I just never consciously met any and spoke to them. It was fun listening to them. You know, they told me they appreciated the sunshine as they have a cold winter down there now. Not sure if it is just a fun story or true: they said that Canberra became the capital of Australia because Sydney and Melbourne argued over the honour. So Canberra was chosen. If true, it applies what we say: "Wenn zwei sich streiten, freut sich der Dritte". When two (people) quarrel, the third one rejoices.

notamermaid

the story about Canberra is true.

• Thanks 1

Now that we have everything booked for our trip, we are starting to prepare for our meals.

Melons are out now here, so going through them pretty quickly enjoying them and pineapple for breakfast. Last night, we started on dinners.....yes, that's a full sized dinner plate hiding underneath, and there was another side of spatzle, but couldn't fit it in the picture! We came home with enough for a couple more meals. Oh happy days! 🙂

IMG_7565.JPG

• Like 3

On 5/26/2023 at 1:00 AM, Canal archive said:

Yes we are nearly completely metric but we still have miles not kilometres.

Absolutely vital to keep that in my opinion. Life would not be the same without the 1/4 , 1/2, 3/4 road signs: https://www.visitlakedistrict.com/explore/areas-of-cumbria/alston/alston-did-you-know

There is also an interesting bit of info on a canal for you. Gotta love Alston. The hill up to the market cross is a bit of a challenge. And the countryside is beautiful, a bit barren and rugged, so different from the gently rolling hills of Kent or my hills and rocks on the Rhine. Have yet to take the local tourist railway.

I find it fascinating that Alston is the highest town in England, a relatively small place actually. At 1000 feet in Imperial measure it sounds high and looks isolated enough but it is in metric only at 304.8m. I mean we put large cities at that level and above. The highest town in Germany is Oberwiesenthal at 915m. The name does not quite fit I find when you realize that it means „Upper Meadow Valley“. 915m is 2992 feet, a shame they cannot market it touristically as the 3000 feet town.

Anyway, lots of excitement in the Canal archive household then. Cruise getting closer and closer.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Yes and I feel a few shopping trips will be needed just to ensure I’m clothed correctly. We’re off to the wilds of the Brecon Beacons in Wales en famaly this weekend (there is no way I can pronounce the new name for it. Hopefully the weather will be clear as it’s a designated dark sky reserve.

This is a canal hill.

image.thumb.jpeg.a47d278efa72c4f9ddc08bcdc6530c8f.jpeg

• Like 2

News in the cruise industry are plentiful, cannot keep track of everything right now and post. :classic_biggrin: Work and shopping for the weekend are keeping me busy. New ships announced for the Rhine, they have found more Roman antiquities (again) and there are my monthly reports to come.

@Daisi have you finished that schnitzel yet? :classic_wink:

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Like 1

It is very warm here too. Rivers are loosing water. Gradually, not too bad. Been busy, also Rheinland-Pfalz-Tag event coming up, so needed to do some extra preparation for a colleague and will have an extra shift as well.

The event will be away from the big rivers but on a river setting this year, in Bad Ems on the Lahn, site only in German: https://rlp-tag.de/de/startseite/

It is basically a "meet and get to know" in another town (of suitable size) every year (after this one changing to bi-annual) for the citizens of this federal land that is so "non-homogenous" and artificially formed after WWII.

notamermaid

Have just returned from the heights of Wales where we took a trip on the narrow gauge Brecon Mountain Railway pulled by this little beauty built in Philadelphia USA beautiful scenery and weather.

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a29bda373ee25898f81dd379ef20de.jpeg

CPT nor Potsdam ether mind you he did have a large nose to put out of joint!

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

he did have a large nose to put out of joint!

As they always called him on 'Allo, 'Allo:  the one with the big hooter who scarpered off to London

Baldwin Works in Philadelphia, and later Eddystone, was the largest manufacturer of steam locomotives in the US and perhaps the world. They didn’t do so well with electrics and diesel electrics. 

My son and I went to the Greenwich Concours auto show yesterday.  Fabulous.  After the judging they had a parade of every category winner and the judges gave a historical background on the manufacturer as well as the model.  When a Stanley Steamer was up [for the category of steam and electric cars] they mentioned that at one time 38% of the US car market was for electric cars!  Of course, their limitations weren't so problematic when there were few roads and people didn't expect to go further than town and back...

• Like 2