No proof yet that vaccination prevents transmission to others

4 hours ago, ace2542 said:

We will wear masks forever and ever and ever as they also prevent you catching common cold, flu, bronchitis, and pneumonia in some cases.

Are you really sure or does wearing a mask prevent you from spreading it to others?  Doe those illnesses exist on surfaces longer than the Covid virus?  Is the main path for infection respiratory droplets or hand to face transmission?

8 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Are you really sure or does wearing a mask prevent you from spreading it to others?  Doe those illnesses exist on surfaces longer than the Covid virus?  Is the main path for infection respiratory droplets or hand to face transmission?

There hasn't been much of a flu season has there?

10 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

There hasn't been much of a flu season has there?

Not yet.  So the real question is why.  Is it the masks preventing infected people from spreading the flu?  Or is it the masks preventing people from catching the flu?  Is it hand washing?  Or is it just staying away from people? 

You're assuming the mask is preventing people from catching the flu and that data just isn't there.

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

We will wear masks forever and ever and ever as they also prevent you catching common cold, flu, bronchitis, and pneumonia in some cases. Remember that. And it will stop people having days of work and will save the NHS a good amount of money every year. Not sure how much it would save U.S every year with everything being on insurance or you pay for it yourself. 

Unless its a N-95 mask, the masks we all wear, from various forms of cloth do little to stop the coronavirus except to make those of us wearing masks "feel" a bit safer.  And once all masks including N-95s get damp from breath moisture, they are even less effective.  If you are in a crowd or in a building with others without HEPA type filtration, you need a new N-95 type mask every 1/2 hour or so.  But regardless of time in a mask, washing hands and maintaining a reasonable distance, even outside, will probably be the culture we have going forward. And those things will reduce incidents of colds, flu and NORO.

• Like 1

Just now, ipeeinthepool said:

Not yet.  So the real question is why.  Is it the masks preventing infected people from spreading the flu?  Or is it the masks preventing people from catching the flu?  Is it hand washing?  Or is it just staying away from people? 

You're assuming the mask is preventing people from catching the flu and that data just isn't there.

Well it enters through your nose doesn't it or from touching your face? 12 million cases of corona true cases 5x higher is hardly staying away from people.

18 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

If I get a covid vaccine I'm done w/ masks. From that point on, everyone is on their own risk once a vaccine is out there. 

The problem is that not everyone will be able to get it day one.  It will probably take months.  Just because you got the shot, doesn't mean another person was able to get the shot at the same due to lack of supplies.  This is no fault of their own, so there will need to be some overlap, since they are not sure that once you have a shot you can't spread it to others.

Edited by gatour

20 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Exposing yourself can lead to illness, hospitalization, being put on a ventilator, and/or death. No thank you, I'll continue to wear my mask, social distance, wash my hands, and hope the vaccine is as effective as advertised.

19 hours ago, BND said:

I am not talking about exposing yourself to Covid, geez.

Exactly, your point is quite correct that your body's immune system needs to be challenged and your response to wearing masks forever was right on. It was quite clear to me that you did not imply that you should go out and expose yourself intentionally to Covid.

• Like 3

On 11/24/2020 at 9:33 AM, ace2542 said:

We will wear masks forever and ever and ever as they also prevent you catching common cold, flu, bronchitis, and pneumonia in some cases. 

I have no idea how people have survived on this planet all these years not wearing masks forever and ever and ever. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Be nice, let's remember there are many people who cannot get vaccines because of other health issues.     My DH is an organ transplant recipient that takes anti-rejection meds every day which means he basically does not have an immune system (very little).     No one knows if the new vaccine will be safe for him to take.    I have a long list of medication (couple pages) he is Not allowed to take and other vaccines he is not allowed to get because of the other meds he takes.     We are in great health in our 50's and ready to getting cruising and traveling again.    

Yes, there are people out there that don't believe in vaccines for religious or personal reasons.     Choice is their right.     They may not be allowed to get on a cruise ship without showing proof they were vaccinated - no one knows for sure yet. 

Just an observation and kudos to you for taking care of your husband and being on top of his health.  You should take the vaccine for his safety.  Just a suggestion.  

Hopefully I will be one of the early recipients as I am in the medical field.  Everyone has to make their own decisions about their situation.  Im used to getting vaccinated for work and this is no different for me.  I personally cant live my life afraid and hiding and this situation has dramatically affected my family in severe mental health issues. We all have our different reasons for wanting or not wanting to take the vaccine. Mine is I cant live in this destructive mental wasteland that has been created nor can my kids.  Going on a cruise is the least of my concerns.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TiiiSailor said:

Read in today's paper that Qantas airlines CEO Alan Joyce said once the vaccines are widely available, they'll be requiring travelers to show proof of immunization.  Wonder if this will spread to other airlines and cruise lines?

I suspect, at least with Qantas, that will be the easiest way to manage the vaccine issue. It is not a stretch to think, Australia, with its geographical location, will require the vaccine as a condition of entry to the country.

Personally, I do not care about transmission to others. If a vaccine is available and you choose not to get it, then that is on you. Every has a freedom of choice, but not freedom from consequences. If the cruise lines make it mandatory to have the vaccine, then you don't cruise without it.

• Like 1

I can't imagine any

1 hour ago, gatour said:

The problem is that not everyone will be able to get it day one.  It will probably take months.  Just because you got the shot, doesn't mean another person was able to get the shot at the same due to lack of supplies.  This is no fault of their own, so there will need to be some overlap, since they are not sure that once you have a shot you can't spread it to others.

I certainly have no problem being careful around other people who want to get the shot but haven't been able to, but I'm pretty sure there will come a time when it's apparent that those not immunized are the ones who who have chosen not to get the shot(s.)  At that point, I'm done with masks and social distancing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mek said:

I can't imagine any

I certainly have no problem being careful around other people who want to get the shot but haven't been able to, but I'm pretty sure there will come a time when it's apparent that those not immunized are the ones who who have chosen not to get the shot(s.)  At that point, I'm done with masks and social distancing.

I agree 100%.  Once everyone that wants it can get it, no more mask for me.  Those that can’t or chose not to get the vaccine, will have to take precautions 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BND said:

I am not talking about exposing yourself to Covid, geez.

Reread your post. You stated that you had to be expose to the viruses so your body can build up an immunity or else you'll be wearing a mask forever. Viruses are different. My brothers brother-in-law died from Covid at 47, with no preexisting conditions. If your statement is accurate 47 years of exposure to viruses isn't enough time. geez.

21 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Unless its a N-95 mask, the masks we all wear, from various forms of cloth do little to stop the coronavirus except to make those of us wearing masks "feel" a bit safer.  And once all masks including N-95s get damp from breath moisture, they are even less effective.  If you are in a crowd or in a building with others without HEPA type filtration, you need a new N-95 type mask every 1/2 hour or so. ...

Maybe Not?

WASHINGTON — Face coverings, including masks made of cloth, are highly effective in protecting the people who wear them as well as those around them, according to a new study from Linsey Marr, a leading aerosol scientist at Virginia Tech University.

“Filtration works both ways,” Marr said. “If it works for source control,” she said during a media presentation on Monday — that is, if the mask filters out particles coming from the wearer’s mouth — “it’s going to work pretty well for exposure reduction to protect the wearer also.”

Testing 11 different types of face coverings (nine cloth masks made from coffee filters, cotton and other materials, a surgical mask and a face shield), Marr and co-author Jin Pan found that many of the materials they “challenged” with particles meant to simulate the coronavirus exhibited a 75 percent filtration capacity. A high-quality cloth mask consisting of three layers could allow filtration as high as 90 percent. Crucially, that accounts for incoming particles as well as outgoing ones...

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Just an observation and kudos to you for taking care of your husband and being on top of his health.  You should take the vaccine for his safety.  Just a suggestion.  

Hopefully I will be one of the early recipients as I am in the medical field.  Everyone has to make their own decisions about their situation.  Im used to getting vaccinated for work and this is no different for me.  I personally cant live my life afraid and hiding and this situation has dramatically affected my family in severe mental health issues. We all have our different reasons for wanting or not wanting to take the vaccine. Mine is I cant live in this destructive mental wasteland that has been created nor can my kids.  Going on a cruise is the least of my concerns.  

Thank you.    Yes, I definitely plan on getting the vaccine but I won't be the first in line.   

Yes, we must all live our lives and there are ways to do it safely.   We go about our daily lives as safe as we can.   Basically the way everyone is living now is how the infectious disease doctor taught us to live life (except for mask wearing).   

Please make sure you do whatever you need to do to make yourself happy.     Take a drive to the beach and look at the ocean, that is always my peaceful happy place to reset.     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have no idea how people have survived on this planet all these years not wearing masks forever and ever and ever. 

The way in it is going in the UK we really will be until we get to the stage of star trek where they can shine a light on the patient and he is healed. They are on about doing mass cold screenings did you ever hear of such a thing. I didn't think it was possible.

2 hours ago, TiiiSailor said:

Read in today's paper that Qantas airlines CEO Alan Joyce said once the vaccines are widely available, they'll be requiring travelers to show proof of immunization.  Wonder if this will spread to other airlines and cruise lines?

Will that proof come from a barcode on your body like the nazis did in the concentration camps?. Because i will not be tattooed like that. I have the vaccine if a simple injection or 2 but not if I am being branded like they said on RT today.

Just now, neverbeenhere said:

Think microchip injection, like your puppy. Tattoos will be of your own choice. I ❤️ Mom!

Nope you will drink up. The vaccine will be in the water supply. Get that pint of water down you you lightweight! 😮

3 hours ago, gatour said:

Well I'm not special and will not be at the head of any line to get vaccinated. I figure by the time I get it just about everyone will have had the opportunity to get it as well. I'm seeing people that are refusing to get it and/or waiting for others to be their 'guines pig'. I have no patience or sympathy for this behavoir. Once I get vacinnated I'm done w/ mask wearing for anyone else's protection and done w/ the whole social distancing protocal as well. Life will get better. Mine will anyway. Others can too if they want it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TiiiSailor said:

I think it will. Some will not want to get vaccinated and they will be forced to if they wish to move forward in their lives and back to normalcy. Schools, Airlines, Cruiselines, Hotels, just to name a few will require proof of immunization. 

2 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Reread your post. You stated that you had to be expose to the viruses so your body can build up an immunity or else you'll be wearing a mask forever. Viruses are different. My brothers brother-in-law died from Covid at 47, with no preexisting conditions. If your statement is accurate 47 years of exposure to viruses isn't enough time. geez.

Sigh.  I said exposed TO viruses, not THE virus.  I don't always agree with everything Ocean Boy posts, but he is a Dr. and he did say I was correct.  Exposure to viruses over the years is why you don't catch every single thing you are exposed to.  It's how immunity works.  You entirely misread what I posted.  I was very clear.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 5