8+ Night Update

Sent to travel agents today.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently issued a Framework for Conditional Sailing Order that introduces a phased approach for a safe return of cruising.  In the order, the CDC outlines that cruise lines are no longer able to sail itineraries that are longer than 7 nights and call on a U.S. port. This affects sailings between Jan. 1 and Nov. 1, 2021. To ensure compliance, we have temporarily paused the sale of such cruises as we evaluate options and determine the necessary itinerary updates or changes.  We expect to have more information in coming weeks and will be in touch with you once we have updates to share.  Thank you for your continued patience and loyalty during this extraordinary time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

UGH!   I was hoping we'd know sooner than 'in the coming weeks'.  I guess I won't be taking advantage of any sales on Cruise Planner items over the holiday.  But thanks for sharing!  🙂

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Ken, is this in any way different from what we already knew, or is this just the first time that we are hearing it directly from RC?

The first time Royal has acknowledged that the 8 day sailings are just removed for sale and not cancelled.  Also refers to the possibility of itinerary changes which was speculation before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Any firm word on b2b? I see many posts claiming to know for sure they are separate cruises and not affected. The cdc isnt going to bother with the few b2b booked 

No, but if Princess has restricted it then I see Royal following suit.  I can't see Princess just doing that for any reason other than it was mandated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just received an email from our travel agent that enclosed a letter from Celebrity. The letter stated that the summer sailings for the Equinox are being replaced by seven night Caribbean sailings leaving on Sunday. Eight night sailings will be reduced to seven night sailings (rates will be protected) and six night sailings will be converted to seven night sailings (rates will be protected). An additional 100 OBC will be issued.

I expect Royal Caribbean will do something similar on the Independence of the Seas summer Caribbean sailings.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Kokomo91165 said:

We just received an email from our travel agent that enclosed a letter from Celebrity. The letter stated that the summer sailings for the Equinox are being replaced by seven night Caribbean sailings leaving on Sunday. Eight night sailings will be reduced to seven night sailings (rates will be protected) and six night sailings will be converted to seven night sailings (rates will be protected). An additional 100 OBC will be issued.

I expect Royal Caribbean will do something similar on the Independence of the Seas summer Caribbean sailings.

I'm willing to bet Indy won't be able to make it down to Aruba and back to Miami in a 7 day cruise.  

Which is again...totally frustrating.  

My TP in April/May is 19 nights on Serenade going from Sydney to Honolulu.  Then 11 nights from Honolulu to Vancouver.  

This involves two cruises over 7 nights in that time frame that involves a U.S. port...no way they can change that to something less than 7 nights.

RCI....please...please...just cancel those cruises.  You know they can't happen!!  I want my refund, stop stalling!!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am still hoping they simply reduce my 9 night NE/Canada cruise to 7 night instead of cancelling.     Sounds like Bar Harbor one of the ports on my itinerary is considering limiting cruise ships.   I suspect other ports may do the same which would solve the problem of what ports to remove from a 8+ night cruise.   

We anxiously await an official update on b2b's.   I still suspect these will not be permitted just like Europe and Singapore sailings.

1 minute ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am still hoping they simply reduce my 9 night NE/Canada cruise to 7 night instead of cancelling.     Sounds like Bar Harbor one of the ports on my itinerary is considering limiting cruise ships.   I suspect other ports may do the same which would solve the problem of what ports to remove from a 8+ night cruise.   

We anxiously await an official update on b2b's.   I still suspect these will not be permitted just like Europe and Singapore sailings.

The other problem is Canada...will they extend the ban on cruise ships?  

35 minutes ago, Kokomo91165 said:

Well nice that they are 'protecting' rates.  If I'm getting one less night, I'd hope for more than $100 OBC per cabin since that's FAR less than the cost per night. I know Royal won't care and it will be take it or leave it, but it is still really annoying that those on the 6 night will get an additional night at no charge, and those losing a night will, in essence, have paid for their additional night.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Well nice that they are 'protecting' rates.  If I'm getting one less night, I'd hope for more than $100 OBC per cabin since that's FAR less than the cost per night. I know Royal won't care and it will be take it or leave it, but it is still really annoying that those on the 6 night will get an additional night at no charge, and those losing a night will, in essence, have paid for their additional night.  

I misspoke. I’m sorry. The 8 night WILL be prorated for 7 nights. PLUS the $100 OBC. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I hope they wiIl have more detail on Monday.  We are still waiting for something on our 18 day bottom end Aussie cruise in March to take the hit.  Our final payment is the end of next week.

It's going to make all these FCCs for longer than 7 night cruises interesting.

Edited by zalusky

12 minutes ago, Kokomo91165 said:

I misspoke. I’m sorry. The 8 night WILL be prorated for 7 nights. PLUS the $100 OBC. 

Well that makes me a LOT happier!  🙂  Thanks!  I know on some of those TA/TPs that got shortened or changed, Royal wasn't exactly generous or in some cases, not fair, in their adjustments.  Hopefully Royal does the same as Celebrity.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I know, this particular cruise isn't till mid September so a lot can happen from now to then. 🙃

Agree...more than a lot has happened since March that I never expected to have gone on this long...drats.  😞 

56 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I hope they wiIl have more detail on Monday.  We are still waiting for something on our 18 day bottom end Aussie cruise in March to take the hit.  Our final payment is the end of next week.

It's going to make all these FCCs for longer than 7 night cruises interesting.

I am guessing it will be the Aussies that cancel both of our top end and bottom end cruises...for probably the same reason.  Or they will outright extend the current 12/17/20 cruise ship ban, which I think, IMHO, will be the latter.   

Naturally there is no way the TP going up to Honolulu can have a revenue trip to Hawaii..nor can they do the Hawaii to Vancouver.  

I don't want more FCC vouchers...I want refunds.  😞 

2 hours ago, island lady said:

RCI....please...please...just cancel those cruises.  You know they can't happen!!  I want my refund, stop stalling!!  

I thought booked cruises could be cancelled for either a refund or credit.  Is there something special about your cruise that prevents that?  I ask as I have several booked for next year and was planning on a couple more.  I was doing that because I assumed I could cancel if need be.