Will the alcohol policy change with AI

elh1

Just wondering if Celebrity is changing its alcohol policy under Always Included.  Since there is no longer a disincentive to Celebrity for passengers to bring their own alcohol on board (except for wine corkage fees) thought they may now allow it.  Just would be nice to relax in my room with a drink that I made myself without having to go to a bar to get one.  Has anyone heard anything?

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Who knows?  At this point we have no idea how cruising will be different.  Remember AI is not really AI because they will continue to sell cruises without AI after final payment dates.

In addition to which, as there are people who, prior to the implementation of AI, had booked cruises up to the summer of 2022 without choosing the CBP perk, the earliest they could make such a change would be 18 or so months from now. Also, as the beverage packages don't cover the mini bar, full size bottles, or drinks delivered to most cabin categories/passengers, all money makers for X, I doubt whether AI will result in a change to the policy.

22 minutes ago, elh1 said:

Just would be nice to relax in my room with a drink that I made myself without having to go to a bar to get one.  Has anyone heard anything?

Unfortunately, I doubt that Celebrity is about to cut its profits to save us from having to go to the bar, as appealing as that might sound. Even though we usually have a BP, we often buy a bottle for the cabin, just for the sake of convenience.

54 minutes ago, elh1 said:

Just wondering if Celebrity is changing its alcohol policy under Always Included.  Since there is no longer a disincentive to Celebrity for passengers to bring their own alcohol on board (except for wine corkage fees) thought they may now allow it.  Just would be nice to relax in my room with a drink that I made myself without having to go to a bar to get one.  Has anyone heard anything?

Celebrity dose not charge a corkage fee when you bring the allowed two 750 ml bottles of wine per stateroom onboard. If you bring your bottle of wine to one of the dining venues, yes according to their website. If you walk in any venue with a glass of wine, no biggie. 🍷

Edited by davekathy

18 hours ago, elh1 said:

I doubt it.  First, not everyone will have the AI.  There are the people who booked before the AI went into effect--at least 18 months of bookings.  Second, Celebrity says that even into the future, AI will not be required on some cruises booked within 90 days.  Third, I have heard that some TAs are able to book fares without AI even after the policy went into effect.  

19 hours ago, elh1 said:

Interesting thought but I very much doubt it.  For people in suites with unlimited premium beverage packages, the alcohol policy was always the same as everybody else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree that the alcohol policy isn't likely to change. Even with always included there are upcharges available with the minibar, room service, wine by the bottles, and premium liquors. Allowing unlimited alcohol carry on could still eat into their profit margin.

17 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I agree that the alcohol policy isn't likely to change. Even with always included there are upcharges available with the minibar, room service, wine by the bottles, and premium liquors. Allowing unlimited alcohol carry on could still eat into their profit margin.

And make for a more rowdy crowd.

• Haha 2

On 11/25/2020 at 12:10 PM, davekathy said:

Celebrity dose not charge a corkage fee when you bring the allowed two 750 ml bottles of wine per stateroom onboard. If you bring your bottle of wine to one of the dining venues, yes according to their website. If you walk in any venue with a glass of wine, no biggie. 🍷

Pro tip, if a couple makes it appear they're together at the X-Ray line, each person can "get away with" brining two bottles each

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Pro tip, if a couple makes it appear they're together at the X-Ray line, each person can "get away with" brining two bottles each

Pro tip, now that's funny! 🙄 You're one and Celerity cruise. 

Edited by davekathy

Long time x cruisers know there was a noticeable  change in passenger demographics, when X began the alcohol perks plan. Folks flocked from other lines and that was the draw. With almost everyone getting drinks included, it could mark another change...and make drink service even slower!

My thoughts on the topic, every bottle passengers bring aboard are a few drinks X do not have to supply.  If you have an alcohol packages, X may save money by allowing passengers to bring unlimited bottles.

Unfortunately, I don't see the receipt (write in your extra tip and/or total) going away although it could move to a kiosk and/or smartphone.  I also don't see the sommelier trying to upsell you going away either.

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

My thoughts on the topic, every bottle passengers bring aboard are a few drinks X do not have to supply.  If you have an alcohol packages, X may save money by allowing passengers to bring unlimited bottles.

Unfortunately, I don't see the receipt (write in your extra tip and/or total) going away although it could move to a kiosk and/or smartphone.  I also don't see the sommelier trying to upsell you going away either.

Dream on. 🍷 🤣

Edited by davekathy

On the European itineraries that I have sailed you could buy bottles of local wine at pretty much every port  and bring it on board.  I could not really notice any differences in the sobriety or rowdiness or behavior on these cruises vs. any other.  Or the lines at the bars.  Celebrity tends to attract a more refined customer.  Or they just hold their liquor better.😀

• Like 1