Did you miss the boat?

Hawaiidan

Some here may have seen the August NCL stock hit $7 a share  4 months ago and been tempted by the stock holders benefits for such a low price, let alone the potential growth.     If you had take the risk  it was a cool way to as of this morning  to have turned  almost a 230% profit on you money...and  if you were to take a cruise next year  you could see 300-350%....profit counting OBC...      Darn... when Cd's ar paying less than 2-3%     tempting eh!

• Like 1

As Yogi Berra may have said: “It’s deja vu all over again.” (I just read this same new thread a minute ago.)

Happy Thanksgiving to Dan and all the rest of the Oceania board contributors.

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

After my dismal investment in Carnival, She Who Must Be Obeyed forbade me from buying that $7 stock.  😭 

Before what I will just call the Insanity of the current World Situation, My Brokers' used to regularly advise me to sell Carnival because travel stocks were supposedly too exposed.

For about thirty years, however, Carnivals' aggressive dividend stance made their ROI perfect for my situation, and their none too restrictive OBC program put them into the stratosphere, for me, until we started sailing exclusively with Oceania.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Before what I will just call the Insanity of the current World Situation, My Brokers' used to regularly advise me to sell Carnival because travel stocks were supposedly too exposed.

For about thirty years, however, Carnivals' aggressive dividend stance made their ROI perfect for my situation, and their none too restrictive OBC program put them into the stratosphere, for me, until we started sailing exclusively with Oceania.

There is a rule for investing I use...only buy things that  1 you use, 2 know the market in which they operate 3  do you own independent research and listen to many sources not vested interest ones.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

After my dismal investment in Carnival, She Who Must Be Obeyed forbade me from buying that $7 stock.  😭 

Tell her  you glad she saved you from turning $7  into $23...   and a Potential  as of today $2550 for  a cruise /  and OBC.....

17 minutes ago, clo said:

Well, I don't get why someone would.

In this case, 100 shares gets OBC for every Oceania cruise you take, so return is worth it if you plan to continue cruising. Plus, by purchasing at bargain basement prices, you've gained if you decide to quit cruising & sell.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

In this case, 100 shares gets OBC for every Oceania cruise you take, so return is worth it if you plan to continue cruising. Plus, by purchasing at bargain basement prices, you've gained if you decide to quit cruising & sell.

With Oceania I don't need much at all. I booked with O and transferred to our TA who's giving us gratuities. We can carry on 'adult beverages' and won't use any spa services. 

15 hours ago, Vertygo said:

You got it right....... Buying in a panic stricken market for a good product prove for decades is minimal risk    In March the stock was at $56-58 a share.....And with record bookings for then next year being reported  the stock will come back from $7 Forget OBC's  as you said the potential to make $50+ a share profit  even if you never cruised !!!     It has already recovered 50% of its loss...    Pent up desire from the lock-down will drive the future.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Vertygo said:
22 hours ago, clo said:

Well, I don't get why someone would.

21 hours ago, clo said:

With Oceania I don't need much at all. I booked with O and transferred to our TA who's giving us gratuities. We can carry on 'adult beverages' and won't use any spa services. 

That explains why you wouldn't, but I was answering your previous statement about wondering why "someone" would purchase. 

Bought it at $17 (womp, womp, waited too long) but still happy nonetheless.  Although, I must say runway became clearer on Friday when reports out of England say that health officials are ready to approve Pfizer and AstraZeneca very soon. 

1 hour ago, rafaelc said:

Bought it at $17 (womp, womp, waited too long) but still happy nonetheless.  Although, I must say runway became clearer on Friday when reports out of England say that health officials are ready to approve Pfizer and AstraZeneca very soon. 

So  you made some 35% growth to todays $ 24 almost ......   Bookings are strong for mid to late 2021...  My Sept Europe cruise is 75% booked  all but  B-3-B2 B1  are waitlisted on Marina !!!   almost a year out !!!  thats of note to me.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

So  you made some 35% growth to todays $ 24 almost ......   Bookings are strong for mid to late 2021...  My Sept Europe cruise is 75% booked  all but  B-3-B2 B1  are waitlisted on Marina !!!   almost a year out !!!  thats of note to me.   

Not suggesting that NCLH isn’t or wasn’t a good buy, slightly different take. We only have unconfirmed comments, to date, on what ship capacities will be once cruising starts back up. We likewise have no idea when the EU and CDC will lift reduced capacity constraints. Both of these being the case, I’d make no proclamation about any ship being 75% booked or completely waitlisted.

If, a year from now capacity restrictions are lifted, I would reasonably speculate that most all cruises will open up for bookings.The example used by Dan of 75% booked, may then mean 75% of 75% capacity = 56.25% of total capacity or just over 40% of the ship capacity to sell. Depending upon the extent of waitlisting accepted, cabins may still become available on what are now fully waitlist ships. This doesn’t take into effect the normal loss rate of cancelled cruises.

• Like 1

There are two things I regretted not doing when the pandemic was just starting out. Not stocking up on paper products and not dumping my cruise line stocks. I guess I could add not buying more stock at the bottom to even out my cost.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

There are two things I regretted not doing when the pandemic was just starting out. Not stocking up on paper products and not dumping my cruise line stocks. I guess I could add not buying more stock at the bottom to even out my cost.

I bought my 100 shares of Carnival stock at it's highest $58.00 and then did buy when it went down.  I now need CCL to his $32 to break even.  

I would have bought NCLH shares when it was low, but I didn't know then I would be looking to sail on Oceania.  🙁

Edited by Daniel A

50 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I would have bought NCLH shares when it was low, but I didn't know then I would be looking to sail on Oceania.  🙁

You could use them for the OBC on NCL  as well  😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I had no plans for an Oceania sailing until a couple of weeks ago, which makes my not dumping the stock even worse. And I actually thought about it when it was still at normal price, and I was back at break-even and didn't do it.

3 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I had no plans for an Oceania sailing until a couple of weeks ago, which makes my not dumping the stock even worse. And I actually thought about it when it was still at normal price, and I was back at break-even and didn't do it.

I'm in Northern Westchester.  Just signed up for my first Oceania scheduled for July 9.  NYC R/T Bermuda.

Edited by Daniel A