Will vaccines now be required?

This thread has gone on long enough and far beyond the OP's question "Will Vaccines be Required"  With the reality  of the pandemic, whether you will be vaccinated or are an anti-vaxxer, if you want to travel the next 2 years Internationally and/or get on a cruise ship, you  most likely will need a COVID vaccination or you stay home. 

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

This thread has gone on long enough and far beyond the OP's question "Will Vaccines be Required"  With the reality  of the pandemic, whether you will be vaccinated or are an anti-vaxxer, if you want to travel the next 2 years Internationally and/or get on a cruise ship, you  most likely will need a COVID vaccination or you stay home. 

"This thread has gone on long enough and far beyond the OP's question." 

Then it seems you could have ended your post with the first sentence. 

4 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

"This thread has gone on long enough and far beyond the OP's question." 

Then it seems you could have ended your post with the first sentence. 

No maybe it should have ended with you not responding.

3 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

While I personally feel that they should make it mandatory, I understand the politics in why Biden is saying what he's saying.

One thing to remember here:  If you're 55 and older and you catch this virus, you have a 92% chance of dying from it.  So those of us who are over 55, why wouldn't you get the vaccine then?  Oh, and that's NOT a made up number.  That number comes directly from the CDC (LINK)

Oh my goodness, this is why people may be better just ignoring anything written on a cruise forum linked to Covid.

Just now, K.T.B. said:

Bingo.  92% of the deaths...

Sheesh, gotta love the knee jerk reactions.  You're the only one who saw the obvious.  Thanks.

Kevin you have been posting here for quite some time and I value your posts, knowledge and insight.  So I figured it was a mistake - we all make them.  

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Kevin you have been posting here for quite some time and I value your posts, knowledge and insight.  So I figured it was a mistake - we all make them.  

I appreciate it.

I just went online to see what shots/jab the International certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis (CIS) has on file. My record only shows 4 shots. I have my own International certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis records. It is my understanding that where you get your shots are to upload to a state database. My Hep A & B, Typhoid, MMR, HIB, Yellow Fever, Shingrix and more are not listed. Has anyone looked at their own online shot records? I have carried my shot records all over the world since 1986. Not one country has ever asked to see my vaccinations.

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

There is some nastiness today for some reason.  Cabin fever I guess.

Trust me, it did not go unnoticed.  Hence the reason I responded only to you.

Anyway, moving on now.

Once a critical mass of us have been vaccinated, or if vaccination is a pre-requisite to cruise, when do you think that the cruise experience itself changes back (or close to) what we had before -- no masks, no distancing, free to do what you like in ports?

- Joel

15 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

Once a critical mass of us have been vaccinated, or if vaccination is a pre-requisite to cruise, when do you think that the cruise experience itself changes back (or close to) what we had before -- no masks, no distancing, free to do what you like in ports?

- Joel

Of course no one here knows the answer.  One can take an uneducated guess though and mine is not until there have been several months of successes once cruising does resume.  

Once widespread vaccinations begin, I suspect everyone will be looking closely at the Rt value, which  indicates the average number of people that one person with COVID-19 is expected to infect. A number higher than one means each infected person is passing the virus to more than one other person. When the number drops below one the virus is coming under control and, theoretically, could eventually die out. Since most vaccinated people will not become infected with the virus, the Rt value should begin to drop as more are vaccinated. Fewer cases, hospitalizations, and deaths should correlate with a lower Rt value. I would think that when transmission drops significantly, many aspects of pre-COVID life will resume, including cruising. But there will probably be an interim period where many still wear masks in some situations and at least some social distancing is encouraged. I also don't think we'll ever see self-service buffets again. These had already been eliminated on some cruise ships.

49 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Once widespread vaccinations begin, I suspect everyone will be looking closely at the Rt value, which  indicates the average number of people that one person with COVID-19 is expected to infect. A number higher than one means each infected person is passing the virus to more than one other person. When the number drops below one the virus is coming under control and, theoretically, could eventually die out. Since most vaccinated people will not become infected with the virus, the Rt value should begin to drop as more are vaccinated. Fewer cases, hospitalizations, and deaths should correlate with a lower Rt value. I would think that when transmission drops significantly, many aspects of pre-COVID life will resume, including cruising. But there will probably be an interim period where many still wear masks in some situations and at least some social distancing is encouraged. I also don't think we'll ever see self-service buffets again. These had already been eliminated on some cruise ships.

So, if the time that the Rt value is < 1 is time X, what's your guess as to when after time X a more normal cruise experience resumes?

- Joel

Wild guess, but speaking just for cruising from ports in the U.S., if most of the country who wants the vaccine is immunized by the end of the third quarter of 2021, which I've heard described as an aggressive but theoretically possible target, infections should drop drastically and by early to mid 2022 cruise lines should be able to resume normal itineraries and cruise at full capacity. There may also be shorter sailings with capacity restrictions and other precautions before 2022.

Maybe the experts can weigh in....  It is my understanding that in the US, no one can be required to be vaccinated with a vaccine that has only been authorized for emergency use.  Final approval, if it occurs, could come as late as summer 2021.  Can any legal or medical professionals elaborate on this?  For the record, I am current on my vaccines and get a flu shot every year.

9 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

Maybe the experts can weigh in....  It is my understanding that in the US, no one can be required to be vaccinated with a vaccine that has only been authorized for emergency use.  Final approval, if it occurs, could come as late as summer 2021.  Can any legal or medical professionals elaborate on this?  For the record, I am current on my vaccines and get a flu shot every year.

Not exactly. For instance, DOD has long looked at compulsory vaccination using with EUA vaccines. There is almost certainly a reluctance to require vaccination under an EUA, and much greater comfort for a fully licensed product. Products other than vaccines (diagnostic assays, for instance, and some treatments) also have been granted emergency use authorization.

An EUA moves a product from "investigational" to "approved", but not fully licensed or approved. I honestly can't imagine anyone but DOD (for uniformed personnel) requiring vaccination with an EUA product, but the EUA removes a lot of the administrative hurdles associated with an investigational product (co-investigators, specific data collection requirements, etc.).

10 minutes ago, markeb said:

Not exactly. For instance, DOD has long looked at compulsory vaccination using with EUA vaccines. There is almost certainly a reluctance to require vaccination under an EUA, and much greater comfort for a fully licensed product. Products other than vaccines (diagnostic assays, for instance, and some treatments) also have been granted emergency use authorization.

An EUA moves a product from "investigational" to "approved", but not fully licensed or approved. I honestly can't imagine anyone but DOD (for uniformed personnel) requiring vaccination with an EUA product, but the EUA removes a lot of the administrative hurdles associated with an investigational product (co-investigators, specific data collection requirements, etc.).

Thank you for the clarification Markeb!

7 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

So, if we have had our shots, and I mean both, what is the next plan? We will we still need to be tested and wear masks? I have always said I would not cruise with a mask. Does anyone have any info???

apparently yes, at least for a long time after the vaccines first become available.  “The experts” are saying everyone should still wear masks and social distance even if they’ve successfully received the vaccine.  

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

apparently yes, at least for a long time after the vaccines first become available.  “The experts” are saying everyone should still wear masks and social distance even if they’ve successfully received the vaccine.  

I for one WILL trust "the experts"!

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I for one WILL trust "the experts"!

And I am now officially depressed. I thought shots would bring me back to a normal cruising life. I will not cruise without the shots and I will not cruise in a facemask.

Edited by Keys Kathy
add