Will vaccines now be required?

Until Covid 19 is eliminated (or otherwise eradicated to the point of it being extremely rare) than I for one would only cruise if others onboard have been vaccinated.  I’ve no idea when I’ll receive my vaccination but until I do I wouldn’t even think of sailing.

stay safe!

TeeRick,

Thanks for all the info, analysis and links. Pretty complex stuff, but I believe that at the end of one of your recent posts (sorry, I can't find it), you said something to the effect of "we'll be cruising before we know it."  Do you believe that, or were you being facetious, please?

On 12/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, TeeRick said:

Or a branding iron?

Remember the scar we all carried from childhood on our arms from the smallpox vaccine?  Or are you too young for that?

They need to make the injections create a specific looking scar like the smallpox shot did!  :classic_laugh:

Edited by K.T.B.
6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This very topic has been discussed at great length on two other ongoing threads.  Maybe they should all be merged?  Why start another?  

I so agree, I wish the CC moderators would merge ALL of the vaccine posts into one.  Very pleased with the approvals etc in Europe and US, but there are WAY too many separate threads, just combine them already.  We know what to look for if/when we want it. 

20 hours ago, latserrof said:

TeeRick,

Thanks for all the info, analysis and links. Pretty complex stuff, but I believe that at the end of one of your recent posts (sorry, I can't find it), you said something to the effect of "we'll be cruising before we know it."  Do you believe that, or were you being facetious, please?

I truly believe it! Honestly!  With a vaccine approved, another one coming later this week, and more on the way, the tide will be turning (cruise metaphor!).  But we will need to be patient and allow the process to play out. IMO, I think probably limited cruising by second half of 2021.  And perhaps even "normal" cruising in 2022.  

On 12/12/2020 at 8:09 AM, nomad098 said:

I posted this on a RCL thread but I thought it would add to the conversation here looking at the different regulatory approaches 

Looking at the FDA recommendations it is different to the UK ones.

WHAT SHOULD YOU MENTION TO YOUR VACCINATION PROVIDER BEFORE YOU GET THE PFIZER-BIONTECH COVID-19 VACCINE?

Tell the vaccination provider about all of your medical conditions, including if you:

• have any allergies

• have a fever

• have a bleeding disorder or are on a blood thinner

• are immunocompromised or are on a medicine that affects your immune system

• are pregnant or plan to become pregnant

• are breastfeeding

• have received another COVID-19 vaccine

WHO SHOULD GET THE PFIZER-BIONTECH COVID-19 VACCINE?

FDA has authorized the emergency use of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine in individuals 16 years of age and older.

WHO SHOULD NOT GET THE PFIZER-BIONTECH COVID-19 VACCINE?

You should not get the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine if you:

• had a severe allergic reaction after a previous dose of this vaccine

• had a severe allergic reaction to any ingredient of this vaccine

It looks like North America are going to be the phase IV (marketing trial) for most of the rest of the world this is not having a go at North America but pointing out that they will be testing the vaccine on previously untested groups. And without any sarcasm and with genuine feeling good luck to them.

If more people can be tested safe to have the vaccine than it would make having a vaccine requirement more appealing in the short term but negate the need in the longer term.

https://www.fda.gov/media/144414/download

Little confused, what are the UK recommendations  for comparison?

2 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Little confused, what are the UK recommendations  for comparison?

Excluded at the moment

• under 18

• are pregnant or plan to become pregnant within 2 months of vaccination

• are breastfeeding

• suffer immediate onset anaphylaxis for any of the ingredients or other allergies

Immunocompromised or are on a medicine that affects your immune system though not excluded officially they are recommended not to have the vaccine until further studies are done and to take precautions against catching SARS COV 2

You can only have the vaccine if you are stable on blood thinners like warfarin

Not sure how you are doing things in the US but here the NHS hold your records and will send an appointment to have the vaccine based on your medical records.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-03/covid-can-pregnant-and-immunocompromised-people-get-the-pfizer-vaccine-who-cant-get-the-jab-and-why

16 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

Not sure how you are doing things in the US but here the NHS hold your records and will send an appointment to have the vaccine based on your medical records.

That's an interesting comment. I've no idea how appointments will be handled in Ontario. The flu vaccination roll out this year was meant to be a practise run for COVID-19, but such things as the Pfizer vaccine storage requirements have pretty well negated that. I've heard nothing at all about the provincial or municipal health authorities proactively making residents' appointment in a manner similar to the one you describe for the NHS. I guess we'll wait and see.

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That's an interesting comment. I've no idea how appointments will be handled in Ontario. The flu vaccination roll out this year was meant to be a practise run for COVID-19, but such things as the Pfizer vaccine storage requirements have pretty well negated that. I've heard nothing at all about the provincial or municipal health authorities proactively making residents' appointment in a manner similar to the one you describe for the NHS. I guess we'll wait and see.

There has been a few issues NHS covid front line staff not being able to get an appointment because managers and admin staff booked them first before sending on the link but this seems to have been quickly resolved after it was brought to media attention.

A nursing friend of mine who works in accident and emergency was on a day off when the link went live and was told a 2 week wait when she was back in work but the cleaners had all been vaccinated she was and is not very happy.

For the rest of us

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/

Wait to be contacted

The NHS will let you know when it's your turn to have the vaccine. It's important not to contact the NHS for a vaccination before then.

1 hour ago, nomad098 said:

There has been a few issues NHS covid front line staff not being able to get an appointment because managers and admin staff booked them first before sending on the link but this seems to have been quickly resolved after it was brought to media attention.

A nursing friend of mine who works in accident and emergency was on a day off when the link went live and was told a 2 week wait when she was back in work but the cleaners had all been vaccinated she was and is not very happy.

For the rest of us

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-vaccine/

Wait to be contacted

The NHS will let you know when it's your turn to have the vaccine. It's important not to contact the NHS for a vaccination before then.

I feel like in countries with national health insurance, administering the vaccines will be much more orderly and I think effective.  US has it and will continue to introduce more, just it all still continues to be so damn political.  

I don’t know if the US has a plan for recording and providing proof of vaccination. But I guarantee that insurance companies will be getting billed for it. So it won’t be difficult to show proof of vaccine through the insurance companies billing records.

14 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I don’t know if the US has a plan for recording and providing proof of vaccination. But I guarantee that insurance companies will be getting billed for it. So it won’t be difficult to show proof of vaccine through the insurance companies billing records.

Excellent point for those that have either private health insurance or Medicare.

On 12/12/2020 at 2:09 PM, nomad098 said:

had a severe allergic reaction to any ingredient of this vaccine

Thank you for the links. I would have hoped/ thought that they would have a computer screen in front of them with the patients medical history, as they do when you go to the surgery for other vaccines.

I assume they will ask you if you are allergic to, for example eggs, as they do prior to having the flu vaccine. 

3 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Thank you for the links. I would have hoped/ thought that they would have a computer screen in front of them with the patients medical history, as they do when you go to the surgery for other vaccines.

I assume they will ask you if you are allergic to, for example eggs, as they do prior to having the flu vaccine. 

According to the UK government they are looking at ways to share the NHS covid vaccination information with GP's.

I should have known that joined up thinking was beyond government capabilities as my GP has no record of my military vaccinations and military had no idea of my GP vaccinations. 

At the moment they have said any history of immediate onset anaphylaxis to anything or allergies to any of the ingredients should not have the vaccine. The list of ingredients is quite long and I am not sure how you would say your allergic if you don't know if you have been exposed to them before.  

On 12/10/2020 at 3:49 PM, J18ktleo said:

wow, thank you for all the intuitive reading, I really appreciate it!

As one of those who says 'I'll wait a couple of years' before I get the vaccine, not even knowing which one will be the one that's good for most and for me, and understanding it might be the end of my world travel I am continually entertained by conversations talking about 'listening to the experts'.

Who are the experts?

Who designated them better experts over others?

How many contradictory statements/writings/rulings should be made before they are no longer considered an expert?

What we were told in the spring, when this supposedly started, has changed week by week by week with new information and new guidelines.

And the places with mask MANDATES are still seeing incremental rises in their infection rates so, is that truly a remedy?

First they said 'put on a mask and don't touch it', then they said wear it only outdoors, then indoors too then while you're eating (which means you touch it and touch it and touch it).

They said dining inside is dangerous but outside is ok now it's not.

The constant back and forth of information is mind blowing.

And the continual back and forth of data and 'new information' is as well.

2 almost fully EUA approved Vaccines and a couple more on the way.  Has anyone heard/read anything about what the differences are? Which one's work for whom?  I know that every single drug introduced has challenges interacting with peoples health and other drugs they might be taking, from everything I'm reading about these vaccines they're all good for everyone?  Although now the Pfizer vaccine isn't good for those with bad asthma issues...

Anyways, there's so many angles to this difficult and tragic situation.

I wonder if we can ever feel that we're getting some degree of 'real' information? 🤔

It’s science, not religion. 

On 12/7/2020 at 8:47 AM, sanger727 said:

1. I'm concerned that if masks are still in place it won't be just "masks". It will be the covid testing, the cruise ship shore excursions only, the masks, reduced occupancy in restaurants and bars (potentially leading to longer waits), the quarantined the whole ship if there is one positive case onboard, etc. That whole package is not something I'm willing to sign up for.

2. I almost always take the stairs on the cruise ship. And I do notice at work that I get a bit winded taking the stairs at work with my mask on

3. My husband hates wearing a mask so he will do it but will complain the whole time. Again would detract from me enjoying my vacation

4. fogs up sunglasses

5. Get hotter and sweatier more quickly with a mask on

6. Don't really want to return home with a bunch of photos of me and my family masked up instead of being able to see out faces

7. The frustration I constantly feel going out in public when I am following the mask rules and others aren't - either not wearing one at all, wearing it as a chin strap or hanging off their ear, or with their nose uncovered. I don't think it will be any different on a cruise ship.

8. I usually walk around most of the time with some sort of drink in my hand. I get dry mouth and sip water frequently. So would have to be constantly on/off with the mask or forgo my water drinking.

9. air coming out of the top of the mouth tends to dry my eyes out a bit. Not a problem for short periods of time but wouldn't want to wear one all day. 

I agree with everything you just said. 

On 12/8/2020 at 1:50 PM, ipeeinthepool said:

You don't need to bring the plastic straws, I'll have enough for both of us.

If either of you run out, my will be at the Passport Bar. On our last cruise, it made me laugh! There were at least 5 people with zip locks full of plastic straws. I took my metal ones too, just in case. There were people who had straw envy. I share quite a bit. When you can buy 100 plastic straws at the Dollar Tree for a $1.00

On 12/11/2020 at 12:06 PM, TeeRick said:

Or a branding iron?

Remember the scar we all carried from childhood on our arms from the smallpox vaccine?  Or are you too young for that?

Got it! I remember getting the sugar cubes for polio..... I was a very young child

8 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

If either of you run out, my will be at the Passport Bar. On our last cruise, it made me laugh! There were at least 5 people with zip locks full of plastic straws. I took my metal ones too, just in case. There were people who had straw envy. I share quite a bit. When you can buy 100 plastic straws at the Dollar Tree for a $1.00

Awesome.  I'm sure you will have plenty of friends.  Straw Envy is not a pretty thing to watch.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:20 AM, laslomas said:

I know I would like to know that fellow passengers had the vaccination. But with cruisers coming from all parts of the globe, what will be the proof required? That could prove tricky.

This is what I'm wondering! Who knows if most countries will even have access to the vaccine by the time cruising resumes. Even in my part of Canada, I'm not expected to be vaccinated until summer/fall 2021.

On 12/12/2020 at 8:20 AM, laslomas said:

I know I would like to know that fellow passengers had the vaccination. But with cruisers coming from all parts of the globe, what will be the proof required? That could prove tricky.

right now they seem to manage that for proof of other vaccines required for sailing to certain locations, so I seriously doubt that this will be an issue