The Daily for Monday Nov 30, 2020

richwmn

today is Stay At Home Because You Are Well Day , Computer Security Day, and National Mason Jar Day

Meal suggestion for today - Sheet Pan Chicken with Sweet Potatoes

Drink of the Day - Fall Sangria

Wine of the day - Tania & Vincent Carême Terre Brûlée Le Blanc Swartland vintage 2018

at Sea English Channel
Westerdam destination Southampton eta 12/3

at Sea Caribbean
Oosterdam destination Willemstad

Gibraltar West Anchorage
Noordam

Malta Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Northwest Providence Channel, Bahamas
Eurodam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Southampton UK
Nieuw Statendam

Torquay Anchorage
Volendam
Zaandam

Willemstad
Nieuw Amsterdam

1130World.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Daily, Rich.  A very appropriate group of days.  Stay at Home Because You are Well deserves most every day this year.  Lots of people using Mason Jars this year.  Schools in neighboring Baltimore County have been closed for about a week due to a Ransomware attack.  The meal suggestion sounds quite good while my alternative is Sunshine Fruit Medley, Braised Lamb Shank, and Pineapple Crisp, as served on MS Prinsendam November 30, 2013.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors disappointment in a canine adoption that didn’t happen

durangoscots, her niece, and niece’s daughter on the November 29 death of her niece’s husband.

Dismomx5's niece-nurse turning covid-positive

Mamaofami’s grandson awaiting Covid results

CrabbyPatti’s dad with dimentia

Mary229's sister with cancer

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

Cat Shepard on a getaway to the Keys

StLouisCruiser’s DD visiting her Gram

StLouisCruiser’s family recovered from Covid

Gutsyness for going beyond the call of duty to Denver “Quarterback” Kendall Hinton

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is 3 times but she’s worth it)

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily.

My daily smile, my daily dinner suggestion, my daily food for thought.  Thank you.

Both dinner suggestions sound good.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

We have a winter storm heading our way - up to 30cm of snow by Wednesday.  Good thing DH checked the snow blower the other day.

Stay safe.

• Like 12

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I think it’s been Stay at Home year 😂 so it will be easy for me to celebrate the day and Stay at Home again 😉.  Seems like a strange time for Mason Jar day.  But, I sure went through a few jars this year 😉 

Love the quote - thanks so much for adding it.

The meal suggestion sounds good.  I thought I knew every kind of sangria there is but I’ve never heard of Fall Sangria.  I’ll wait for the description.

Looks like we need to build an ark with the rain we have coming but it sure beats the snow that other parts will be hit with.  Hopefully ours stays as rain but it’s not 100% guaranteed.  (When is the weatherman every right except when it’s bad news?)

The newest covid restrictions are coming out 😉 

FFF71055-642A-4205-A74B-47A5B1F2AAA7.jpeg.df985a6f815f67164e5a77e8e5474c8e.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a toast to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 and remember.....

22CA6B07-94AE-478A-B8E5-0671E31E39F7.jpeg.2265acd19a96b3175a91fadb3df89140.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

I don't know quite how to include this but I think I could use prayers for my relationship with my brother.  He's spreading the idea that covid will soon disappear because we are close to herd immunity, calls the experts idiots with political overtones (we haven't been eye to eye on politics) and skoffs at the idea of a vaccine.  Somehow, this doesn't ring true to me.  It seems like herd immunity is more like a fire hose than a light switch, where decreasing pressure gradually slows the flow and if we have minimal pressure than the flow will get weaker and weaker.  That just doesn't strike me as what is happening.  Give me strength.

Roy

• Like 24

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I don't know quite how to include this but I think I could use prayers for my relationship with my brother.  He's spreading the idea that covid will soon disappear because we are close to herd immunity, calls the experts idiots with political overtones (we haven't been eye to eye on politics) and skoffs at the idea of a vaccine.  Somehow, this doesn't ring true to me.  It seems like herd immunity is more like a fire hose than a light switch, where decreasing pressure gradually slows the flow and if we have minimal pressure than the flow will get weaker and weaker.  That just doesn't strike me as what is happening.  Give me strength.

Roy

Oh Roy, you have my prayers for sure ❤️ 

I’m sorry to hear this.  This type of misinformation is one of the reasons there are so many issues.  

You need all the strength you can get to put up with this.  Sending lots of good thought (and I hope, strength) your way.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy.  Stay at home, stay well.  We've had minor work done by several companies this week and everyone has worn their masks.  Very happy.  I understand Mason Jars are hard to find.  And Computer safety is a requirement in this household.

Fall Sangria:

Ingredients
1 apple
1 pear
1/2 orange
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 750 ml bottle dry red wine, such as Rioja
1 750 ml bottle sparkling cider or apple cider
Optional garnishes: Cinnamon stick, rosemary sprig, remaining orange slices

Instructions
Thinly slice the apple, pear, and orange. Place them into a medium bowl and stir in the sugar and cinnamon.
Transfer to a large pitcher. Allow to stand for 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
After 1 hour, pour in the red wine. You can use it immediately, or chill for up to 3 hours.
To serve, fill a glass with ice. Fill halfway with sparkling apple cider, then halfway with red wine mixture. Garnish with cinnamon stick, rosemary or orange slices. When you’ve polished off the sangria, you can snack on the sweetened fruit.

Prayers and celebrations for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Roy, sorry to hear about your brother.  You need to get the Kool Aid away from him.  We are a loooooong way from herd immunity.  That takes70-80% of the population immune and we are less then 5%.  Millions would die if we got there without a vaccine. 

I will go for the lamb shank over the chicken.  One of my favorite HAL dishes.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Almost every day is stay at home day, but this one makes sense - when you're well, just stay there.  This fall with many people staying home, there was a shortage of Mason jar lids in our area.  Folks were ordering them online from various sources just to get into the act of canning fruits and vegetables.

Well the insulators came yesterday and blew a bunch of insulation into the attic; hopefully that will decrease our energy bills this winter, and  keep the house warmer.  We also had a company come over to shovel the snow off our roof - all went well until one of the fellows put his foot through one of the clear fiberglass panels on the deck roof.  He's coming back to patch it today and said he'll be back in spring to replace the panel.  Thankfully we're not expecting snow for a couple of days, or we'd have a snowdrift on our deck.

Great menu suggestions (I love both chicken and lamb), but I think I will look at making the sheet chicken dinner, as we have lots of chicken breasts in the freezer.  I'll sub in plain potatoes because DH doesn't care for sweet potatoes, but paired with a nice green salad will make a dinner we can enjoy with leftovers.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  @rafinmdI am sending good vibes to you for your relationship with your brother; it's difficult reasoning with some people, even in the face of all that's going on.  We'll be raising our wineglasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

We have several friends in a car club who have the same beliefs as your brother. Fortunately, some time ago, the club more or less came to a consensus not to discuss political views or try to influence one another.  (We are in FL.) So our club e-mails this year have avoided mentioning anything but "Stay safe."  There have been a couple outdoor club events where about half the members wear masks - events were held in a county not mandating them. We haven't attended any but from the newsletter photos we see those wearing masks are also self-distancing. Those who are maskless seem to be within 2 feet of others without masks but distancing 6' from those with masks. FL is so divided on mask wearing that heated arguments happen - some have turned violent. Most of us know it won't change any minds to present facts.

As to dealing with close relatives, I have no suggestion. Thankfully, all  family members seem to be in the wear your mask camp. Cousins, aunts and uncles keep in touch via e-mail as we cover the entire US - even more frequently this year. Most messages end with thanks for wearing a mask.

You, your brother and your relationship are on my "cares" list.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

We have a winter storm heading our way - up to 30cm of snow by Wednesday.  Good thing DH checked the snow blower the other day.

Yeah it looks like snow is heading your way.  Appears we'll be spared for the most part in NW Michigan, but as winter goes on we will see more than enough.   Though we're heading to Florida January-March so we won't see it all 🙂

• Like 3

Good Morning All,

Its Monday, and another week starts. 

All the lamb suggestions in the past few weeks has me wanting lamb stew. As DH doesn’t like lamb, am considering making a small pot of it and feeding him turkey left overs. Turkey is one of his favorites.

Thought I’d share a well written article on covid:  more food for thought.  https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/29/how-much-did-thanksgiving-contribute-to-covid-19-spread-its-wait-and-see-for-now/?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20201130&instance_id=24569&nl=the-morning&regi_id=125414182&segment_id=45662&te=1&user_id=2acea4a8cbcbfcf410071fa37c422884

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks for the update.

Its a very rainy and windy day here and possible thunderstorms and tornadoes later this afternoon.

Having pork chops and sweet potatoes for dinner.

Nice to see Eurodam getting closer to Port Everglades, hope it’s a good sign.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I am sorry Roy about your brother's idea's and your relationship growing colder and weaker. My family as well are opposite sides of politics and that reason alone leaves conversations on politics silent. I believe the isolation and conspiracy theories run rampant during these times of stress. Please put yourself on our prayer list, so we can all pray for strength for you. The power of prayer.. Love to you.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Rich! Thank you for the great looking Daily! I'm excited to see some ships moving and hope to see the Eurodam webcam at some point.

Good morning to my fellow Daily-ites, my sisters Denise and Ann (who by the way left Deeni and I behind for a grand trip to the Keys..) Prayers go to Denise for thumb recovery and our dear friend Roy to give him strength and sending him virtual hugs and love. Prayers for all on Roy's list and toasting Roy especially tonight for having the courage to ask for strength!

Since Allen's identity was stolen a few years back, we are extremely careful with our computer security:

image.jpeg.f2dd619368269f30797b5e53bdd73949.jpeg

But seriously, it took several months of investigation, police reports, freezing credit. It was stressful. (Actually it happened while we were on a cruise from Vancouver to San Diego. It was part of the Experian hack)

My goodness, Georgetown weather tonight will be down to 27 degrees! I believe winter has come to Texas..

Love to all. Thank you to everyone who shares a bit of knowledge, pictures, prayers, shout outs and drink recipes. Take care and sending blessings straight to you! Joy

• Like 12

Good Monday morning fellow dailys.   Those are an odd collection of days.  Personally this really should be "stay at home year"!   Anyway theingredients food sounds great to me.  I also love sangria!!  

I am sending prayers to all on our list and a special prayer for Roy.  Dealing with family members like you have is a challenge.  Its sad when people don't know when to stop talking.  Anyway good luck Roy.

On this day in history November 30, 1874 Winston Churchill was born.  

I hope everyone stays safe and have a great day.

Helen

• Like 11

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Sending positive thoughts your way. Hard to deal with things like this within a family. Praying he will eventually see the light. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Dear Roy, You have prayers from all!!

Good analogy with fire hose👍👍

I so agree with you and we are not even close to a disappearance of this horrible disease. I am sorry about your relationship with your brother. It is hard and I hope things change for both of you! My concern I don’t want to see him get sick. Still remember your journey to Alaska with him and a photo you took of him at dinner on HAL with his nice smile.

Thanks for sharing Roy

Denise😊 

• Like 6