FRIENDLY GAYS ON CRUISES🤗

Rotterdam

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

Just stop right there!  I don’t need to know what you are doing at the spa.  This is a family website.

🙂

It wasn't like some of you are imagining.  Even if I had the inclination, there's not a lot of privacy in those parts of the ship.

I for one never thought you were implying anything other than meeting people who were using the gym or other facilities. Princess Cruises are a lot of things but they are never cruisey. It's just not the scene or the demographic. 

18 minutes ago, Chad_O said:

I for one never thought you were implying anything other than meeting people who were using the gym or other facilities. Princess Cruises are a lot of things but they are never cruisey. It's just not the scene or the demographic. 

Princess cruises would be a good name for a gay cruise.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have traveled on Azamara, Holland America, Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Carnival.

On some cruises there have been a number of Gays and less on others.  I usually

contact with more straight folks, spend time and go to meals with them.  

@beachluvr65this is one the major reasons my husband and I don't participate in any LGBTQ+ activities. They all seem to revolve around alcohol (or hooking up, or partying all night). We would prefer a meetup to see who can get down the water slide quicker or get the lowest mini golf score!

I drink a little when it's free, he drinks no alcohol, ever (neither of us are AA'ers, we just don't like alcohol and what it does to you). I know we'd both be pressured to have a drink if we went. Meetups are always in bars and gay culture is always about partying, hooking up, etc...we have no inclination to do this...call us boring gays I suppose.

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

@beachluvr65this is one the major reasons my husband and I don't participate in any LGBTQ+ activities. They all seem to revolve around alcohol (or hooking up, or partying all night). We would prefer a meetup to see who can get down the water slide quicker or get the lowest mini golf score!

I drink a little when it's free, he drinks no alcohol, ever (neither of us are AA'ers, we just don't like alcohol and what it does to you). I know we'd both be pressured to have a drink if we went. Meetups are always in bars and gay culture is always about partying, hooking up, etc...we have no inclination to do this...call us boring gays I suppose.

I guess someone should have told me about these all night alcohol and sex parties!  Where can I find them?

You don’t go just to meet people?  I choose to drink socially but I have never had someone say to me on a cruise “you aren’t drinking enough” or even “you MUST drink alcohol.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

You don’t go just to meet people?

I've had many people thrust drinks in my face and wonder why I don't want to drink (gay and straight). As for socializing... eh, I'm not into it. 

If we see "family" we don't say hi. That's awkward, plus neither of us really want a friend du jour. We prefer more lasting friendships. 

To each their own, eh? 

I think you sound very reasonable. I am not much of a drinker either and avoid the typical booze and hook up scenes.  I like meeting people too but in a shared interest, sustainable way. But it has been said I am dull or uninspired. I don't think so  but to each their own!

8 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I've had many people thrust drinks in my face and wonder why I don't want to drink (gay and straight). As for socializing... eh, I'm not into it. 

If we see "family" we don't say hi. That's awkward, plus neither of us really want a friend du jour. We prefer more lasting friendships. 

To each their own, eh? 

We used to travel by picking a place and flying there.  We might do it again as I like spending more time in a city, any city.

We started cruising a few years ago.  What I like about it is that you are surrounded by 1000 or 2000 people.  So you are likely to meet a few strangers along the way.

If I see you on a cruise I may say Hello if I don’t know you.  It’s not meant to make you uncomfortable.  It’s just a Hello.

• Like 1

Not to ignore anyone's feelings on the subject, but I just have not experienced the negatives expressed.  That doesn't mean everytime I tried to nod, smile, or say hello I got a response, but that happens in everyday life and I don't let it get under my skin. I say hello a lot and am generally friendly to all.  Some people, some cultures, simply don't make eye-contact but I don't think they mean anything by it, gay or straight.  Hooking up works well in our imagination, if one is inclined, but it rarely works on or off the ship.  Rare are the occasions, only once in my experience w/ a pax and once with a crew member, due solely because of a unique cabin location.  A once-in-a-lifetime circumstance I'll venture. I guess my point is it seems we put a lot of pressure on ourselves because we think we're expected to do something a certain way when in reality we should be ourselves, our most friendly selves!  Not drinking is almost the fashion these days, but the only place that doesn't require additional staff attention is a bar if we want to meet... and I enjoy the camaraderie of meeting other gay men anywhere.  I'm partnered, and we are pretty fussy about hooking (rarely if at all) up so it's really not an issue... just enjoy new associations.  Cheers, y'all!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I don't drink alcohol, either -but I've never had trouble getting Perrier or seltzer at any bar on a ship. On a Carnival cruise the first (and only) gay meetup was at the Alchemy bar. Didn't see or chat with anyone there -except the three bartenders. Turns out that bar didn't stock Perrier, so they called it in to another bar and had some bottles delivered, which they kept stocked for me throughout the cruise. I kept going back and chatting with them throughout the week. They were very nice, friendly, funny, and interesting. I think one was gay (and gorgeous), but it wasn't hookup vibe -just enjoying the company. They were the highlight of my cruise.

10 hours ago, fshepinc said:

I don't drink alcohol, either -but I've never had trouble getting Perrier or seltzer at any bar on a ship. On a Carnival cruise the first (and only) gay meetup was at the Alchemy bar. Didn't see or chat with anyone there -except the three bartenders. Turns out that bar didn't stock Perrier, so they called it in to another bar and had some bottles delivered, which they kept stocked for me throughout the cruise. I kept going back and chatting with them throughout the week. They were very nice, friendly, funny, and interesting. I think one was gay (and gorgeous), but it wasn't hookup vibe -just enjoying the company. They were the highlight of my cruise.

Didn’t see or chat with anyone there?  Did you not find the crowd?

There were two guys that I was pretty sure were a couple. Just when I worked up the nerve to approach them, their wives came to get them and go to dinner... I didn't see anyone else who looked like they were there for the FOD gathering.

• Haha 2

We just got back from an Azamara Med cruise and we were so pleased by how nice and friendly all gay travellers we met on the ship were. The LGBT+ meeting was hosted by the Assistant Cruise Director, who was very helpful, but on the small ship it's difficult not to meet other couples, and everyone was approachable, friendly, and interesting to talk to.

3 hours ago, fshepinc said:

There were two guys that I was pretty sure were a couple. Just when I worked up the nerve to approach them, their wives came to get them and go to dinner... I didn't see anyone else who looked like they were there for the FOD gathering.

Next time you go up to one of them, put your hand on their shoulder, stare into their eyes and say… Are you a friend of Dorothy?

On 5/24/2022 at 7:22 AM, zitsky said:

We used to travel by picking a place and flying there.  We might do it again as I like spending more time in a city, any city.

We started cruising a few years ago.  What I like about it is that you are surrounded by 1000 or 2000 people.  So you are likely to meet a few strangers along the way.

If I see you on a cruise I may say Hello if I don’t know you.  It’s not meant to make you uncomfortable.  It’s just a Hello.

Haha oh I'll say hello and be kind. Heck, I might even have a conversation with you, but unless I've had a few drinks (which isn't often) I'll be all kinds of awkward.

• 1 year later...

I guess the bottom line is that if you're an unfriendly jerk on shore, you're not going to the life of the party on board ship...

Frankly, this is why I prefer all-gay cruises. You have all kinds of people aboard, and you're likely to find compatible friends simply by doing the things you like to do. If you like to party, you go to the parties and meet the partiers. If you like to lay out in the sun, you grab a towel and meet your fellow sun worshipers. I've met many a jigsaw puzzler or card player on a gay cruise, and no one has ever tried to foist a drink on me. Cruise ships are large and offer a variety of spaces and activities to fit most people's interests. If everyone on board is gay, then you'll likely meet gay people that you like. And if they don't like you, it won't be because you're gay. 😉

13 hours ago, fshepinc said:

I guess the bottom line is that if you're an unfriendly jerk on shore, you're not going to the life of the party on board ship...

Frankly, this is why I prefer all-gay cruises. You have all kinds of people aboard, and you're likely to find compatible friends simply by doing the things you like to do. If you like to party, you go to the parties and meet the partiers. If you like to lay out in the sun, you grab a towel and meet your fellow sun worshipers. I've met many a jigsaw puzzler or card player on a gay cruise, and no one has ever tried to foist a drink on me. Cruise ships are large and offer a variety of spaces and activities to fit most people's interests. If everyone on board is gay, then you'll likely meet gay people that you like. And if they don't like you, it won't be because you're gay. 😉

I have probably said in the past that I don't want to do all gay cruises, but in reality I would but there is not enough variety in the itineraries for me to focus on an all gay cruise.  I want to see every part of the world on a cruise ship....

13 hours ago, fshepinc said:

I used to think that an all gay cruise was just a big drunken party of men cruising men...

I used to think this but that was from friends that did all gay cruises in the 80's and 90's and that is why they went.  This was also the group of men that I knew that frequented bath houses and did partner swap parties.  None of this was for me.

Now I get that you can find people with your interests by attending areas where your interests are - like at the parties, or at the pool, or at the jigsaw table...

18 hours ago, fshepinc said:

if you're an unfriendly jerk on shore, you're not going to the life of the party on board ship...

If everyone on board is gay, then you'll likely meet gay people that you like. And if they don't like you, it won't be because you're gay. 😉

That is a very wise observation!  One of the things I enjoy being a solo cruiser is the ease of striking up a conversation.  You all like travel AND cruising.  With a GAY cruise you would not have to be careful of the topic matter! hehehehe

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

you can find people with your interests by attending areas where your interests are

I do like that most ships will have an LGBTQ+ Meetup scheduled, most daily.  Unfortunately the majority are poorly attended. But at least they are posted on the schedule and available for anyone looking.  I enjoy sort of being a mentor to "newbies" and "curious" types.  So I try to go to every meetup just in case there is someone new looking so they don't get disappointed.

2 hours ago, DeweySki said:

I do like that most ships will have an LGBTQ+ Meetup scheduled, most daily.  Unfortunately the majority are poorly attended. But at least they are posted on the schedule and available for anyone looking.  I enjoy sort of being a mentor to "newbies" and "curious" types.  So I try to go to every meetup just in case there is someone new looking so they don't get disappointed.

We did meet a couple on our last cruise by going to the meetup.  Wish we had met more.

What sort of conversations do you have with newbies?

22 hours ago, zitsky said:

> We did meet a couple on our last cruise by going to the meetup.  

> Wish we had met more.

I have met some very nice people on cruises, and even a hookup or two (hehehehe)  My best experience was just about a year ago when I was on a cruise and went to the meetup.  There were about a dozen guys there and we all had fun and got to know each other.  We all hung out together during the cruise and ran around like a pack of teenagers! hehehe  Most of the guys I am still friends with and keep in touch online.  And many I have cruised with again since then!

> What sort of conversations do you have with newbies?

I like to put them at ease and not make them feel pressured.  They are usually nervous enough as it is.  So I talk to them and ask them about their experience, their interest, the curiosities.  And strike up conversations around that.  And most of all LISTEN to their questions and give caring and sincere answers.  I remember when I was young and learning about being gay and WISHED I had someone to talk to like me.  So I enjoy being that person, as well as helping them to experience new things ins a safe and caring manner.

2 hours ago, DeweySki said:

> We did meet a couple on our last cruise by going to the meetup.  

> Wish we had met more.

I have met some very nice people on cruises, and even a hookup or two (hehehehe)  My best experience was just about a year ago when I was on a cruise and went to the meetup.  There were about a dozen guys there and we all had fun and got to know each other.  We all hung out together during the cruise and ran around like a pack of teenagers! hehehe  Most of the guys I am still friends with and keep in touch online.  And many I have cruised with again since then!

> What sort of conversations do you have with newbies?

I like to put them at ease and not make them feel pressured.  They are usually nervous enough as it is.  So I talk to them and ask them about their experience, their interest, the curiosities.  And strike up conversations around that.  And most of all LISTEN to their questions and give caring and sincere answers.  I remember when I was young and learning about being gay and WISHED I had someone to talk to like me.  So I enjoy being that person, as well as helping them to experience new things ins a safe and caring manner.

You would be the type of guy that I would have wanted to bump into when I was much younger...  Someone to just be kind and caring.

• Like 1