What is a Grand Voyage like , can't wait to do it.

dolittle

We are looking to do a Grand Voyage the longest we have ever done is 15 days . Would like to do double that on a H.A.L. G.V .For those of you who have done this what is it like  . Do you get sick of the food ,do you sit at the same table every night ( I know you do not have to) Please fill me in on the best and worst parts of a long cruise.

I did the Grand South America last year!   Got back 2 days early as the Covid was starting and Carribean Islands were not letting us dock.  Was very lucky as I just avoided the mess in Florida.  Was very grateful to Holland for arranging to get us back early.   Everything was wonderful!  I had never done a cruise that long and wondered if I would get bored.  It was very port intensive, so I really enjoyed a sea day.  I did anytime dining and it worked out well.  Food was good and staff wonderful.   They had special events all the time.  We celebrated Valentine's Day, Super Bowl, Academy Awards and much more. We received many gifts and a suitcase at the end which I filled up with gifts and my shopping. Are you doing the Africa Grand?   I know you will have a great time! 

• Like 1

I have done many long voyages over the years, including at least one termed a 'Grand Voyage'. I won't go back to shorter cruises now, preferring something at least in the 30-day range. 

Things move at a slower pace on a long cruise. There is no need to rush-rush-rush to cram everything in, as there is on a short cruise, as time is your great gift. Whatever you don't do today, you can always do tomorrow. You get to know your fellow passengers on a deeper level, and can become true friends with a few of them. 

I travel alone, so prefer to have fixed dining. I don't get bored with my tablemates, nor the food. Menus are generally not repeated, at least in full, although certain dishes will make repeat appearances. Frankly, after a while one can get sick of having a big meal every night and want a smaller supper. Life on a Grand Cruise develops its own routine and rhythm. In its own way, it becomes more like real life, albeit with pampering, and in beautiful surroundings. 

If you find a Grand Voyage you want to do, by all means, book it and enjoy. 

• Like 9

We have done two Grand Asia (69 days in 2010 and 70 days in 2011) and two half Grand World cruises in 2014 and 2017.  All were on the Amsterdam.  We are like Ruth; we much prefer the longer voyages.  Usually on formal nights, rather than a chocolate on your bed when you return to your room at night, there will be some kind of gift.  The entertainment and lectures seem to be up a notch or two and the service and food also.  Of course, maybe that was just because we were cruising on the Amsterdam.  We are going to miss that ship!

• Like 1

We did the 89-day Grand Asia in 2018, and it was wonderful!  And, no, if you enjoy touring and meeting new people, there is no way you can be bored.  If you love sea days, as does DH, you will enjoy the time to read or enjoy the numerous activities aboard ship.  I also agree with the post about the food and the activities being up a few notches. 

Someone once described these long voyages as the ship being your home, and your cabin being your bedroom.  I think of it as the ship being your community and your cabin being your home.  We would love to take another Grand Asia but I suspect that is still some years away - maybe 2023?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dolittle said:

We are looking to do a Grand Voyage the longest we have ever done is 15 days . Would like to do double that on a H.A.L. G.V .For those of you who have done this what is it like  . Do you get sick of the food ,do you sit at the same table every night ( I know you do not have to) Please fill me in on the best and worst parts of a long cruise.

Done many of them, never been bored, great service and great meals, but I am not so sure if they will still do Grand Voyages..

You will not get sick of the food on a Grand Voyage! By its very nature, you are visiting different parts of the world. While there are always old favourites available, the menu also reflects the cuisine of where you are visiting, and changes as you move on. There are also guest chefs who board for a while and introduce specialties of their country. Not to mention the wines! A word of warning: once you get a taste of longer voyages, a 7 day cruise feels like riding a commuter train for one circuit and calling it a vacation!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Done many of them, never been bored, great service and great meals, but I am not so sure if they will still do Grand Voyages..

My fear as well.  For one thing, they only have two? R class ships left - Zaandam and Volendam.  Or am I missing one?  Some of the more interesting places cannot accommodate even the Vista size ship.  I am thinking of downtown Shanghai, for instance.  It was such a delight to view those wonderful lights from the stern of the Amsterdam.  Ah, memories . . . 

• Like 4

Long cruises are terrific for those of us who love being on ships.  For us, we find the first few days are much more relaxing because most folks will be on the ship for a long time.  To me, it feels like everything slows down (much less frantic then a short cruise) and folks gradually settle into their own niche.  My own observation is that folks tend to be somewhat more outgoing and friendly since many understand that long cruises present a great opportunity to develop some great friendships.  

DW and I like to book open seating which gives us lots of flexibility.  We will ask to share large tables and quickly meet lots of different folks at lunch and dinner.  Usually, after a few days, we might form a table with the same folks (it just happens) or sometimes we build a network of dining friends and rotate among a small group.   We always end up with fantastic tables because we want to be with each other.  Ours is the table where there is lots of laughter and conversation and we are likely to be the last table to leave the MDR :). Not everyone likes to socialize at dinner, but we find it one of the best parts of long cruises.

Hank

• Like 3

I prefer to only do over 30 day cruises.  I have done shorter cruises with family, friends or great deals but 30+ days is the way to go in my humble opinion.  They are fun to plan and fun once there .  You can immerse yourself in the cruise theme.  

As to the ambiance people become part of a neighborhood quickly.  The crew truly gets to know you, your neighbors are respectful and friendly without being overbearing.  The husband usually has a breakfast club while I participate in gym activities.  We do a table for 2 in the evenings since we are early to bedders and like to wind down a bit after 6.  

My sister, the world traveler, advised me when very young - "do everything on board whether you think you will like it or not."  Good advice.   We attend classes, lectures, dances, auctions, everything.    I have never been bored but most of the cruises I have been on never have more than 2 sea days back to back.

• Like 3

I have been on 3 Grand Voyages, Grand Africa 2008 and Grand Asia 2010 and 2013.   I have also been on other very long voyages such as Voyage of the Vikings and the Amazon Carnival Cruise.   I agree with what the others have said about longer trips. However, the Grand Voyages, as so called by HAL, offer some extra perks, some of which have been mentioned. In addition, HAL offers free luggage shipping for early booking in certain cabin categories and they also have had a watercolor painting teacher and an arts and crafts teacher on board.  Near the end of the trip, people from those classes  donated some of their work to a silent auction, the proceeds of which were donated to a charity somewhere along the route.   If you are a reader, you should note that HAL libraries are not that well maintained and you should consider bringing an e-reader, or if you like regular books, go to a second hand store and stock up on books that you can read and leave behind.

• Like 3

Like many others, DW and I started with 7-day cruises years ago. Then up to two, 7-days back-to-back.

More recently, we decided to try a longer cruise: our first was 54 days (Grand Med and Africa) and we loved it (on Prinsendam). Then 35 days (Voyage of the Vikings) and earlier this year, 77 days (Gr. S. America/Antarctica).

Because all these Grands are so port intensive, there's little or no time for boredom. As mentioned, sea days can be a welcome relaxation period between port days, and having access to libraries on the smaller ships has been a plus for me.

We have no desire to return to short cruises, and, like other posters, hope that grands will still be offered post-Covid-19. (Being optimistic, we're signed up for the Grand World Jan. '22).

David 

• Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 7:52 PM, dolittle said:

Would like to do double that on a H.A.L. G.V .

If you're looking to do 30 days or so, especially for a World Voyage, be sure to get your reservation in early.  These voyages tend to be heavily booked doing the entire 90 to 120 days, making segments  a bit hard to get.

Roy

Having been fortunate to sail on some long voyages including a Grand World Voyage, it's difficult to add any additional thoughts to the OP's questions that have not already been posted.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:39 PM, RuthC said:

I travel alone, so prefer to have fixed dining. I don't get bored with my tablemates, nor the food. Menus are generally not repeated, at least in full, although certain dishes will make repeat appearances. Frankly, after a while one can get sick of having a big meal every night and want a smaller supper.

RuthC's post says it well for me.  Other than my tablemates on the Grand World Voyage were, at times, pleasant dining companions.  At other times, not so much.  (My fault:  I ought to have tried to change my table.  As a "glass is half-full person", I kept thinking tomorrow's night dinner will be better.  It was.  At times.  Then, it wasn't.)  

Ruth's comment about the multi-course menus and the rich food is spot on.  A McDonald's Double Cheeseburger or Filet of Fish and Fries would have been a treat once in awhile.  

One of the most significant outcomes of all of my long cruises has been the relationships with crew members and the friendships that have developed with fellow guests.  Along with the places visited, the experiences that I have had, these friendships and relationships are the most meaningful to me.  

I had often felt that there was a more comfortable ambiance on longer cruises, but we usually took long cruises and I didn't give it much thought.  However, a few years ago we took a repositioning cruise from Beijing to Vancouver, about 22 days.  It was then starting the Alaska season and we were offered an excellent price if we wanted to stay on for the first week to Alaska.  We did, and I was shocked at the difference.  All the new passengers seemed to be in a hurry and no one wanted to have much of a conversation or relationship as they knew they would soon disembark and never see us again.

• Like 2

We have done 3 GV, all world cruises.  Well I guess technically 2.5 as the 2020 was cut short.  At least on the world cruises they have more theme nights and events but it seems like less each year.  We have made friends with passengers and crew that we still maintain via FB.  They also do a good job rotating menu items.  One thing with a WC is there are lots of sea days, usually about half the cruise.  Some long stretches of 5,6 or even 7 days.  Theres lots to do however and everyone pretty much falls in a routine.

• Like 2

Most of our international vacations are in the winter months. On longer stretches of sea days, I would just remind myself of what I would be doing at home, shoveling, reading, shoveling, and I'd be pretty happy!

• Like 2

As mentioned, usually there’s

great theme nights, more sea days, more PC options (Sommelier dinners  visiting chefs dinners, etc.) & opportunities to enjoy lectures & entertainment venues that in recent years, or so, has not been available on shorter itineraries due to ‘cutbacks’, And, so it goes. ...

Enjoy!

Be well & Happy Holidays.

Bob

• Like 2