Carnival cancelled all remaining cruises through 2/28/21

Raxter54

7 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Any product that costs more attracts a different clientele. 

If you buy a 1ct diamond on 47th Street it may be $1500.  For the exact same quality at Tiffany's you're looking at $5000.  But the people at Tiffany's will have more disposable income and dress better.

The people who are used to paying very low prices because that's all they can afford or are willing to spend won't be on a ship that's now charging a lot more.

I doubt food etc will change...but the passengers will.

I don’t disagree with anything you said. Your comment brings up the point friends and I have talked about frequently. Carnival has attracted a lot of people over the years because they consistently offered the lowest prices in the industry (I realize there are exceptions to this at times). If it gets to the point that people can no longer afford to cruise on Carnival, these people are likely not going to go on a cruise. If this becomes a large enough number of people, it could significantly impact Carnival. Of course this could possibly be offset by people who in the past cruised on higher priced cruise lines who might find Carnival’s prices more attractive. Obviously this is all subjective but I think this is going to be very interesting to follow once cruising resumes from US ports. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

If you buy a 1ct diamond on 47th Street it may be $1500.  For the exact same quality at Tiffany's you're looking at $5000.  But the people at Tiffany's will have more disposable income and dress better.

The people who are used to paying very low prices because that's all they can afford or are willing to spend won't be on a ship that's now charging a lot more.

I think food will change a bit as it’s likely for the cruise line to spend less on provisions in the future.

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t disagree with anything you said. Your comment brings up the point friends and I have talked about frequently. Carnival has attracted a lot of people over the years because they consistently offered the lowest prices in the industry (I realize there are exceptions to this at times). If it gets to the point that people can no longer afford to cruise on Carnival, these people are likely not going to go on a cruise. If this becomes a large enough number of people, it could significantly impact Carnival. Of course this could possibly be offset by people who in the past cruised on higher priced cruise lines who might find Carnival’s prices more attractive. Obviously this is all subjective but I think this is going to be very interesting to follow once cruising resumes from US ports. 

I do love the Carnival product - the food, the comedy shows, the ships, the crew etc. but the problems that led me to move to other lines had everything to do with recent passengers. I'll be happy if the brawlers and the people who watch videos on their phones during dinner, find another way to travel.

As long as Carnival can still fill their ships/make a profit. I'd be happy to come back to Carnival.

Edited by ukbecky

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I've been telling myself it's the $600 obc is why prices are up and once people see the new reality post covid maybe prices will come down. I think my fare is too high tbh and hoping for a price drop. Its dropped $20, but I have a $50 promotional obc, so not down enough yet, but I have been saying I think carnivals prices are high for a long time. It's not just the 3 covid tests, but also the masks and excursions and dining, yes all covid related but who is to say covid will disappear.

Here is another little gem rcl guests ran into boarding quantum in Singapore we found unexpected, besides the loyalty not mattering when you get to board, ... you cant have had covid in the previous 6 months before you boarded ... even if fully recovered. This might prevent a few from boarding. 6 months??!!

"Guests who have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 in the past 180 days before embarking, or hold a positive serology certificate dated during this timeframe, will not be able to receive a PCR test, and are therefore unable to cruise"

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

"Guests who have tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 in the past 180 days before embarking, or hold a positive serology certificate dated during this timeframe, will not be able to receive a PCR test, and are therefore unable to cruise"

Tbh I had thought if I got covid and recovered I would have antibodies against covid and could cruise and it would be safer. It never crossed my mind I wouldn't be allowed on my booked cruises for the next 6 months.

54 minutes ago, ukbecky said:

I do love the Carnival product - the food, the comedy shows, the ships, the crew etc. but the problems that led me to move to other lines had everything to do with recent passengers. I'll be happy if the brawlers and the people who watch videos on their phones during dinner, find another way to travel.

As long as Carnival can still fill their ships/make a profit. I'd be happy to come back to Carnival.

Passengers on Carnival are one of many reasons why recently we have only cruised and booked cruises on RCI and Celebrity. While overall my wife and I enjoyed our 30 plus cruises on Carnival, we both agree we prefer the experience on RCI and Celebrity now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Passengers on Carnival are one of many reasons why recently we have only cruised and booked cruises on RCI and Celebrity. While overall my wife and I enjoyed our 30 plus cruises on Carnival, we both agree we prefer the experience on RCI and Celebrity now. 

SO agree.  And was SO impressed with Celebrity.  I heard it was all about the food, and DAMN!   IT WAS ALL ABOUT THE FOOD!

20 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

I think food will change a bit as it’s likely for the cruise line to spend less on provisions in the future.

They can give each passenger a  dining budget, and then swipe the card when food is ordered.  If you go over the budget, you pay.  This would cut back on waste.

DH has a suggestion:  Get an OBC if you don't want the steward.  

They could charge "a gym fee" for those who use the facilities.

If people want the current "pricing" then people need to realistic about expectations.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You should try MSC.  You get people from all over the world.  They look healthy and they dress very well.  Completely different crowd.  But, except for the pizza (take it from a lifetime NYer...it was gooooood) the food left a lot to be desired.

13 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

They can give each passenger a  dining budget, and then swipe the card when food is ordered.  If you go over the budget, you pay.  This would cut back on waste.

They could charge "a gym fee" for those who use the facilities.

If people want the current "pricing" then people need to realistic about expectations.

If you're suggesting something along the lines of the a la carte model for the cruise industry, check out Easy Cruise. It didn't work out too well.

On the dining side, I'm already seeing that at hotels. For example, my upcoming stay at the St. Regis Aspen only provides a $52 credit towards breakfast instead of providing a breakfast buffet (which some hotels are doing through staffing like I just saw in Marco Island two weeks ago) for elite members.

Your OBC suggestion for declining housekeeping is like the green choice programs found in hotels which I usually take part of.

13 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

If you're suggesting something along the lines of the a la carte model for the cruise industry, check out Easy Cruise. It didn't work out too well.

On the dining side, I'm already seeing that at hotels. For example, my upcoming stay at the St. Regis Aspen only provides a $52 credit towards breakfast instead of providing a breakfast buffet (which some hotels are doing through staffing like I just saw in Marco Island two weeks ago) for elite members.

Your OBC suggestion for declining housekeeping is like the green choice programs found in hotels which I usually take part of.

Easy Cruise reminds me of the kids who took Icelantic Airlines and then backpacked thru Europe when I was in my twenties.

But, as good as the idea is (the ship is your transportation....you pay for everything else), it wouldn't appeal to adults who want a vacation...lol.

Well...let's wait and see what happens when cruising starts up again. 

5 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

You should try MSC.  You get people from all over the world.  They look healthy and they dress very well.  Completely different crowd.  But, except for the pizza (take it from a lifetime NYer...it was gooooood) the food left a lot to be desired.

Before this pandemic, my wife and I were planning on making 2022 the year of new cruise lines. We were planning to sail on MSC, Holland America, Virgin, Princess and NCL, all cruise lines we have never been on. However, for the forseeable future we plan to stick with cruise lines we know, which will likely mean we will only cruise on RCI and Celebrity the next few years, assuming we don’t switch to going back to doing all-inclusives, which we are also discussing. 

On 12/6/2020 at 9:33 AM, MsTabbyKats said:

I cut down to once a day years ago. I dont mess up a cabin much ...but some teens across from me I remember the steward demanding in. There must be a minimum or they want to check the cabins as who knows what these 4 kids were damaging.  Every day the kids would have the stay out sign, but the steward told me he has to go in after a few days. Required. You cant completely opt out.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I cut down to once a day years ago. I dont mess up a cabin much ...but some teens across from me I remember the steward demanding in. There must be a minimum or they want to check the cabins as who knows what these 4 kids were damaging.  Every day the kids would have the stay out sign, but the steward told me he has to go in after a few days. Required. You cant completely opt out.

And once upon a time "formal attire" was required in the MDR.  Things change!

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

And once upon a time "formal attire" was required in the MDR.  Things change!

I'm just saying carnival wants to make sure nothing going on if you keep the sign up, though ncl seems not to. Idk about the lights over the door on ncl and mine was turned on not to clean. After 3 days of no service I went to customer service, it hadn't occurred to me to look up at lights over my door.

It's possible, but maybe carnival just wants to check after 3 days nothing is amiss. I'd say you would argue with me no matter what I said lol. Just saying what my steward told me on carnival, after 3 days they are required to go in and check the cabin ...for whatever reason.

Yes things have been cut over the years. No argument there from me. Maybe they have had a bad experience before with 4 kids idk why he insisted on poking his head in. Things broken? 

1 minute ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The MDR will eventually become a fee area. Probably sooner than later.

Carnival has been chipping away at the cruise experience for years.  They did it to room service and to several lunch options.  This change wouldn't be chipping - it would be a chain saw approach.

No thanks.

On 12/5/2020 at 11:35 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I will probably be the dissenting view here but the old geezers on my last NCL cruise from Boston to Quebec almost made me want to thump some of their heads together. I would take the kids on spring break over these blue hairs.

The ship missed a couple ports due to weather not being able to dock safely. You would think these folks, being older and wiser, would take things with a grain of salt and work it out among themselves.

Nah,...not these folks....What are you going to do for us....there's not enough to do....there's not enough events...there's not enough activities....The ship is to crowded...blah blah blah.

For pete's sake...you're a grown adult and you're acting like the kids my wife teaches. We actually heard some old geezer say that it was the worst cruise they'd ever been on.

My wife, her aunt and uncle, both in their 60's, had a great time. We ate, drank, chit chatted. It was  a blast.

Nah, these crybabies were worse than any bachelor or bachelorette party we've ever seen. 

On 12/5/2020 at 11:02 AM, firefly333 said:

I've been telling myself it's the $600 obc is why prices are up and once people see the new reality post covid maybe prices will come down. I think my fare is too high tbh and hoping for a price drop. Its dropped $20, but I have a $50 promotional obc, so not down enough yet, but I have been saying I think carnivals prices are high for a long time. It's not just the 3 covid tests, but also the masks and excursions and dining, yes all covid related but who is to say covid will disappear.

Here is another little gem rcl guests ran into boarding quantum in Singapore we found unexpected, besides the loyalty not mattering when you get to board, ... you cant have had covid in the previous 6 months before you boarded ... even if fully recovered. This might prevent a few from boarding. 6 months??!!

If that requirement stays in place for US based cruises that could really be a shock for people that show up for boarding that may have had the 'rona but were asymptomatic and had no idea they had it. 

8 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

If that requirement stays in place for US based cruises that could really be a shock for people that show up for boarding that may have had the 'rona but were asymptomatic and had no idea they had it. 

Well with the 3 test (pre, boarding and disembarking) requirement, wouldnt you know you had antibodies? You have to take a test and bring the results with you to board. The long test. Not the rapid test. Idk to be honest, but someone posted the reason for the 6 months after you have had covid is it messes up new tests or something. 

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well with the 3 test (pre, boarding and disembarking) requirement, wouldnt you know you had antibodies? You have to take a test and bring the results with you to board. The long test. Not the rapid test. Idk to be honest, but someone posted the reason for the 6 months after you have had covid is it messes up new tests or something. 

Ahh. Maybe so. I guess I didnt think that one through all the way before I posted.

9 minutes ago, stobe1 said:

Ahh. Maybe so. I guess I didnt think that one through all the way before I posted.

Idk either. I'm worried about the tight time frame to do the pcur test, get results and get to my hotel in time to enjoy it. I booked a hotel the day before my cruise on the beach I want to enjoy.

It wouldn't surprise me if some cancelled or moved to later dates hoping not to have the 3 covid tests cdc is requiring. I think everyone probably has some worry who is booked,  not just me .

And I've seen posts, what is the policy if I do get covid and cant board.

Edited by firefly333