Jump to content

Alaska 2022 on sale 12/16/20


Recommended Posts

Alaska 2022 goes on sale to the general public 12/16/20 (12/15 for Elites)

 

Key items of note - Royal is NOT returning to Alaska for 2022.  7nt N/S voyage of the Glaciers will be on Grand, Majestic and Sapphire in conjunction with cruisetours. Discovery will sail the 7nt Dawes Glacier itinerary r/t from Seattle and Emerald will sail the 7nt Glacier bay r/t from Seattle.  Ruby will continue to sail 10nt itineraries r/t San Francisco.  Limited 10/12nt sailings from Vancouver at very beginning and end of season.  No 14 day r/t listed from Los Angeles as of now. 
 

https://static.cdn.responsys.net/i2/responsysimages/content/princessus/SE0MS001AV_2022AlaskaReferenceFlyer_112420.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LawDog61 said:

Sure hoping for some LA departures.


As of now none. That said Royal Princess and Pacific Princess have no announced summer 2022 deployment.  Diamond is returning to Japan: https://static.cdn.responsys.net/i2/responsysimages/content/princessus/SE0MS001AV_2022JapanReferenceFlyer_112520.pdf

 

The rest of the fleet accounted for, so IF (and I think its a big “if”) Princess home ports a ship in LA for summer 2022 it would have to be Royal or Pacific.  Royal is too big for a full season Alaska from LA, but like Crown was poised for IN 2021, they could do a full season of Mexican Riviera/California Coastal and throw 1 or 2 14 day Alaska sailings in there.  Pacific would be a great candidate for a full season of 14 day sailings, but she may price many out of the market to be operated profitably (if she stays in the fleet until then!)

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use a personal cruise consultant.  Maybe someone who uses one could touch base with the consultant and ask if there is a possibility that there might be a LA-Alaska cruise????  Maybe they have heard something that has not been passed along to the TA.  Just a thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Italy52 said:

I don't use a personal cruise consultant.  Maybe someone who uses one could touch base with the consultant and ask if there is a possibility that there might be a LA-Alaska cruise????  Maybe they have heard something that has not been passed along to the TA.  Just a thought.


If a full LA Alaska season were planned it would be included in the announcement as it has been in years past. They are scaling back on the number of ships in Alaska for 2022 it seems with only 3 vessels doing the North/South voyage of the glaciers between Vancouver and Whittier. It’s typically 4 ships. 
 

Another factor could be uncertainty surrounding the future of the Pacific Princess. If she stays in the fleet she has two logical home ports for summer 2022 - Venice doing 12-14 day Eastern Mediterranean, Holy Land, Black Sea or LA doing 14 day Alaska. They may have left her out of both regions releases as CarnivalCorp may be working behind the scenes to sell her, or they want to see demand/booking patterns for summer 2022 before announcing her deployment.  
 

Royal Princess is the wild card - does she spend May to September in Australia / SE Asia or does she move to the US West coast to do a summer season from LA that could include 1 or 2 14 day sailingsmixed in with 7 day Mexico/pacific coastal sailings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Royal Princess is the wild card - does she spend May to September in Australia / SE Asia or does she move to the US West coast to do a summer season from LA that could include 1 or 2 14 day sailingsmixed in with 7 day Mexico/pacific coastal sailings. 

Agree on this and would also add that unless Princess leaves the summer Taiwan market, this is another consideration to make. I'm a bit more inclined to believe Royal might be going there based on its last known itinerary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:


If a full LA Alaska season were planned it would be included in the announcement as it has been in years past. They are scaling back on the number of ships in Alaska for 2022 it seems with only 3 vessels doing the North/South voyage of the glaciers between Vancouver and Whittier. It’s typically 4 ships. 
 

Another factor could be uncertainty surrounding the future of the Pacific Princess. If she stays in the fleet she has two logical home ports for summer 2022 - Venice doing 12-14 day Eastern Mediterranean, Holy Land, Black Sea or LA doing 14 day Alaska. They may have left her out of both regions releases as CarnivalCorp may be working behind the scenes to sell her, or they want to see demand/booking patterns for summer 2022 before announcing her deployment.  
 

Royal Princess is the wild card - does she spend May to September in Australia / SE Asia or does she move to the US West coast to do a summer season from LA that could include 1 or 2 14 day sailingsmixed in with 7 day Mexico/pacific coastal sailings. 

Thanks for the information.  I was hoping that there might be an LA itinerary.  Not the best port option for us in Alaska but does have some perks.  If we have to cancel Alaska again (3rd time) it is easier to do so from LA than Vancouver.  No matter what, we are remaining positive and, on December 16th, we  will make our B2B Alaska 2022 reservation which leaves from Vancouver.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snoozecrooze said:

Agree on this and would also add that unless Princess leaves the summer Taiwan market, this is another consideration to make. I'm a bit more inclined to believe Royal might be going there based on its last known itinerary. 


This is what has me confused by the choice to apparently homeport Majestic on the North American West coast year round. She was heavily customized for the Chinese market. Would she not be better suited for Taiwan and sailing in SE Asia/Australia in general for these reasons?  I’m sure corporate had a logical reason for the decision but as an outsider/consumer it makes no sense unless Princess plan on modifying Majestic to be more in line with the rest of the fleet (which there is no indication of).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

No matter what, we are remaining positive and, on December 16th, we  will make our B2B Alaska 2022 reservation which leaves from Vancouver.


That’s what I’ll be looking at as well. If I hear anything from our Princess Holiday Planner, I’ll pass it on. When I spoke to her a week ago when booking a PNG 11-day November 2021 cruise, she said I’m number 1 on her list for Alaska 2022. I can be like a dog with a bone and just keep persisting and following up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

So....................I just took a look at the pricing and couldn't believe my eyes.  The B2B was up considerably from what we were to have paid for 2021.  Do you know if these prices include the drinks, grats, etc.  package that Princess is pushing as a Pricing option?  I think I am going to head on over to HAL and Celebrity and compare the cruise and see what I find out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

So....................I just took a look at the pricing and couldn't believe my eyes.  The B2B was up considerably from what we were to have paid for 2021.  Do you know if these prices include the drinks, grats, etc.  package that Princess is pushing as a Pricing option?  I think I am going to head on over to HAL and Celebrity and compare the cruise and see what I find out. 


Im pretty sure the pricing reflects Princess Plus, not saver fares. 
 

Be patient grasshopper and see what pricing looks like on the 16th 🤓

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I’m Elite but have never received a notice from Princess. Anything I need to do vs a call to Princess?

 

Tom🤔


Check you Captains circle profile and make sure you are signed up for marketing emails. If you are opted-out you will not get the Elite day email notice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:


Check you Captains circle profile and make sure you are signed up for marketing emails. If you are opted-out you will not get the Elite day email notice. 

Here’s what my account says. 

 

Anything else I should do?
 

Receive Offers and News

Contact me about news, marketing updates, latest fares, specials or offers by:

Phone: Yes
Email: Yes
Mail: Yes
 
Tom🤔
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Here’s what my account says. 

 

Anything else I should do?
 

Receive Offers and News

Contact me about news, marketing updates, latest fares, specials or offers by:

Phone: Yes
Email: Yes
Mail: Yes
 
Tom🤔


Check your email address and make sure it’s accurate then your spam filters maybe?  Failing that contact Princess. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I’m Elite but have never received a notice from Princess. Anything I need to do vs a call to Princess?

 

Tom🤔


Must admit I never get them either as an Elite Member. It’s hit and miss when I get emails. My parents who are also Elite members, receive the emails so they just forward to me.

 

Received the latest Captain Circle magazine yesterday with our street name missing some of the letters ..... weird.  It’s funny that my husband receives a lot of the Princess emails, he’s not even the one who would do the booking or research. My profile is all correct and keep asking to include my email address at least on the marketing.

Edited by Loki S
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:


Check your email address and make sure it’s accurate then your spam filters maybe?  Failing that contact Princess. 
 

Interesting as my email address is all caps. I tried to change it with no success. Guess a call to Princess. 
 

Thanks!

 

Tom😀

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

This is what has me confused by the choice to apparently homeport Majestic on the North American West coast year round. She was heavily customized for the Chinese market. Would she not be better suited for Taiwan and sailing in SE Asia/Australia in general for these reasons?  I’m sure corporate had a logical reason for the decision but as an outsider/consumer it makes no sense unless Princess plan on modifying Majestic to be more in line with the rest of the fleet (which there is no indication of).

Agree that the decision is a conundrum for us in the public to ponder, but I think Princess abandoned its idea of market-specific ships (barring Diamond) and is more willing to return to their previous idea of deploying ships wherever they see fit; thus, this makes Royal a ~1:1 replacement for Majestic and should be suitable enough for Taiwan.

 

Here are some of my thoughts on what Princess felt about Majestic: I think Princess regretted designing Majestic specifically for the Chinese audience and they likely realized how much more valuable fleet flexibility was, especially now that four ships have exited the fleet. Though her dry dock happened in March, Princess had probably planned on changing Majestic's style with all of that in mind, regardless of whether or not this pandemic had occurred. So following that dry dock, what I've noticed is that Majestic most noticeably had her Chinese name removed from her hull, and I'm betting most (if not all) of her Asian & Chinese features onboard have also likely been stripped and replaced a la Norwegian Joy (albeit on a smaller scale). With all of this said, I'm still really curious to see if much work has actually been done to make Majestic "suitable" (subjective) to Western audiences, especially based on the litany of negative feedback she received following her debut in Australia. 

 

As for Alaska, until Princess ushers in its next generation of ships, Alaska will likely have this reduced deployment for some time. A bit of a disappointment in itinerary and ship choices, frankly speaking, considering Princess' historical legacy in the region. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@snoozecrooze I agree with virtually everything you have said. What I find particularly curious is that if they have made modifications to Majestic why there is not a new deck plan showing the changes, or a press release touting the changes. I have several clients refuse to book her because of the differences.

 

Regarding the reduction in fleet size. I think over the next few years Carnival Corp will come to regret their quick sale of some of these vessels as they really hurt the itinerary portfolio of lines like Princess and Holland America that rely on itinerary diversity as a strong selling point. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

What I find particularly curious is that if they have made modifications to Majestic why there is not a new deck plan showing the changes, or a press release touting the changes. I have several clients refuse to book her because of the differences.

Agree that Princess is shooting themselves in the foot a bit by not making a bigger deal about it. A lot of people who do care about their ship choice will know about the negative reviews so Princess should do a bit of PR to correct that image (but I'm just assuming they're still doing some work onboard to fully transition the ship to Medallion Class). However, I'm optimistic we'll be getting a lot more fleet news in the coming weeks/months if the industry picks back up, especially since Princess issued this Medallion press release this past week. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...