Jump to content

Are you feeling more optimistic about cruising?


Recommended Posts

Conjecture..... It seems many folks here seem to think 2021 there will be no cruises.  I just wonder why Viking would be putting in Covid testing labs.  The other thing I wonder about is with Viking "older" customers I think  come summer most will have both vaccines.?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting until 2022 would suit me fine. I have nothing booked with them until  '23 at this point, but Mr. Hagen has indicated that the chairman's cruise that was scheduled for last month will be rescheduled to sometime this year yet. Good point about predominantly older clients, so, yeah, you'd think that most would indeed have both doses of vaccine by summer. Still so many variables at play - especially with covid variants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Waiting until 2022 would suit me fine. I have nothing booked with them until  '23 at this point, but Mr. Hagen has indicated that the chairman's cruise that was scheduled for last month will be rescheduled to sometime this year yet. Good point about predominantly older clients, so, yeah, you'd think that most would indeed have both doses of vaccine by summer. Still so many variables at play - especially with covid variants. 

Even if all passengers and crew have been vaccinated, my concern is that too many countries/cities prefer we stay home & won’t allow us in. I think we might be looking at 2023 before cruising gets back to “normal”.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SrCruizer said:

Even if all passengers and crew have been vaccinated, my concern is that too many countries/cities prefer we stay home & won’t allow us in. I think we might be looking at 2023 before cruising gets back to “normal”.

Yes, this is the greatest challenge. The world average for vaccinations is around 2%. Many countries have yet to get started. I believe the US will be ready to go by the end of the year. Unless we see a ramp up of vaccinations worldwide, we may have very few places to visit.  And if we are looking at 2023, how many cruise companies will survive more than two years of no revenue? Here’s hoping.
RB

Edited by rbslos18
Link to post
Share on other sites

JMHO.  I think unless they get back cruising again this year I will not make any reservation for next year.  Not sure how any cruise line  can survive.  When in 2022? Jan 2022?? August 2022?  Why not wait till 2023?  I think Viking doing the Corona labs might help them getting started maybe sooner than some of the others....Maybe having a vaccine card for folks?  We have reservations for September this year.  If canceled I  will not rebook.  Already rebooked once.  Will do a family vacation to Maui with the money. Hawaii in the winter is not a bad thing!!! I love Viking but I am a little concerned about them going broke at some point.  This of course is a guess like every one else has on the board.  But at some point I will hit the wall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread makes interesting reading.  It seems that the US and UK are making good strides in getting people vaccinated, but as rbslos18 has said this is not the case in many countries.  As I said in a previous comment, vaccinations are yet to start here in the Philippines and I have now been advised that we are unlikely to be vaccinated until July to October at the earliest.   I fear it will be sometime before countries like the Philippines and Indonesia will have anything like a majority of its population vaccinated.  Will these and countries in a similar situation be willing to let tourists in even if they have been vaccinated? We have a VO cruise booked in March 2022 and I was more optimistic last year that this would go ahead - less optimistic now...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting more optimistic about my VO Bali to Sydney cruise for the end of Nov 2021.  VO may eliminate the Bali start of the cruise.

Just got our 2nd Moderna vaccine shot on Feb 10. 

Did a goggle search on Australia and Covid vaccinations. Australia will begin vaccinations with Pfizer vaccine before in the end of February and start AstraZeneca shots in March.  They expect to have all of their  population vaccinated by October 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are also booked for a Viking South America in February 2022.  I am guessing cruising may start up by then but feel like there is no chance South America will be ready for travelers by then.  We will almost certainly cancel that booking before final payment is due.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, deec said:

Our final payment is due the end of this month.  We will pay it!

I really hope that you will make it this time. Cruising was a disaster last year, I am pretty sure that this year will be different. I believe in you! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that it appears that all US citizens will have the ability to get both shots by the end of August and Australia is likely to meet a similar goal, I suspect that around June there will be announcements as to which countries will open to travelers from certain countries so long as you have the vaccination.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

Given that it appears that all US citizens will have the ability to get both shots by the end of August and Australia is likely to meet a similar goal, I suspect that around June there will be announcements as to which countries will open to travelers from certain countries so long as you have the vaccination.

I hope you are right.  I totally feel for the cruise industry.  But if canceled at the end of August I have a feeling that this year will be gone for cruising.   Kind of not wanting to be disappointed again.  I do think Viking is doing every thing they can do to make it work.  I think with the type of ship they have and the lab and the "older" passengers I think it should help.  If it doesn't 2021 and part of if not all of 2022 is done.. IMHO.  My guess is by the middle of this year most people over 65 will have been vaccinated.  I got a real nice vaccination card since I have been unblinded.  Will that make any difference?  If not this year cruising is done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PasadenaDave said:

Given that it appears that all US citizens will have the ability to get both shots by the end of August and Australia is likely to meet a similar goal, I suspect that around June there will be announcements as to which countries will open to travelers from certain countries so long as you have the vaccination.

 

Chatting last week with old neighbours of ours, who returned to Australia, they haven't even started vaccinations. While originally they projected starting in March, they now project starting this month, with everyone that wants the vaacine completed by the end of October.

 

This is the politician's best case scenario and as our ex-neighbours are younger, they are not overly confident.

Edited by Heidi13
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I have the numbers right from our State vaccine board  ( I had better have the numbers right since I'm an accountant) 10% of our State population now has received at least 1 shot. I'm sure that number is mostly 65 and older and health care workers and teachers.  Then when add the "probable" case of the virus so far of almost 10% of our state population that means that 20% of our state has had one shot or has had the virus.  Not sure what that all means for the future of cruising.....?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 7:40 PM, rbslos18 said:

how many cruise companies will survive more than two years of no revenue?

 

I often wonder about this. I mean, how long can it go on? A restaurant can sort of get by (though surely not in all cases) with a percentage of inside occupancy / take-out, etc. but a cruise ship either goes out as usual or it doesn't. Now HERE's an idea....pull them into dock and get the hotel part of it going - passengers able to board, eat, stay in cabins, but not actually go anywhere!  Betcha people would sign up for it in no time! Could even hold some activities I suppose. But, yeah, to be simply idle with the only income being newly-booked cruises that are 1-2 years off yet...can't imagine how they can continue to hang on financially. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2021 at 7:43 AM, Porcupine 52 said:

If I have the numbers right from our State vaccine board  ( I had better have the numbers right since I'm an accountant) 10% of our State population now has received at least 1 shot. I'm sure that number is mostly 65 and older and health care workers and teachers.  Then when add the "probable" case of the virus so far of almost 10% of our state population that means that 20% of our state has had one shot or has had the virus.  Not sure what that all means for the future of cruising.....?

 

Interesting to ponder.   I do believe the rub will be in the status of vaccines, percent of population taken them, and cultural attitudes among the many countries that Viking Ocean cruises visits - especially in Europe.    I personally would not mind just sailing, eating, drinking, enjoying the ocean air and more, but not sure I'd pay the high prices if we don't get to visit any of the ports.  And I doubt Viking will give us rebates on our planned and paid for cruises if they said but don't do ports....

And then there's the issue of getting ships to the locations that might be OK.   Perhaps there will be some brand new last minute Transatlantic cruises opening up!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 9:47 PM, Canberra601 said:

Will these and countries in a similar situation be willing to let tourists in even if they have been vaccinated?

 

And even if we are vaccinated, will we feel comfortable traveling in a country that has barely begun to vaccinate?  Experts still aren't even sure whether or not those vaccinated can still be carriers of the disease.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Viruses fade with time even if nothing is done.  I will not worry about catching covid after vaccination anymore than I worry about catching Pneumonia, Valley Fever, Tuberculosis, Yellow Fever, Malaria, or many other diseases.  Do the best you can and carry on.  Did anyone notice there has been a large outbreak of Ebola in Africa?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Viruses fade with time even if nothing is done.  I will not worry about catching covid after vaccination anymore than I worry about catching Pneumonia, Valley Fever, Tuberculosis, Yellow Fever, Malaria, or many other diseases.  Do the best you can and carry on.  Did anyone notice there has been a large outbreak of Ebola in Africa?  


Jim,

 

I agree with your thoughts.  And yes, did see the news about Ebola outbreak .  Very sad.  We had our best trip ever in 2019; to south and east Africa, including Rwanda to see the gorillas.  Many countries depend on tourism to survive, but perhaps none as acutely as Africa.  Sorry to say we just moved another trip to that region from July 2021 to August 2022.  Continuing bad news from there.

 

Jerry

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Viruses fade with time even if nothing is done.  I will not worry about catching covid after vaccination anymore than I worry about catching Pneumonia, Valley Fever, Tuberculosis, Yellow Fever, Malaria, or many other diseases.  Do the best you can and carry on.  Did anyone notice there has been a large outbreak of Ebola in Africa?  

Dr. Jim: Not all viruses “fade with time.” This is just not accurate science. Yes some viruses do. But COVID has not and will not. The proof you know this is the fact you were vaccinated. If it will just fade away, why get a vaccine? This is a deadly mutating, dangerous virus that can only get under control with mass vaccinations, mask-wearing and social distancing. To draw an analogy with other illnesses that are under control and prevented by vaccination is specious. Get vaccinated and wear a mask, please.
RB

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yep..on my list as well. DW could surely live without it, but I just think it'd be an amazing place to visit. 

We did Africa on the 2019 WC and it was an amazing place to visit. Not always an easy place to visit, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...