The Dawn in Winter – Blogs – shoreguy – 02/12/2006 Western

shoreguy

I live in the same town as shoreguy, it's still coming down pretty good here. Have at least 15" on the ground. Traveling east ( towards NY) is even worse. 2" per hour, whiteout conditions. Not a day to be driving. and worse for those bebarking. Good luck to all!

Shoreguy, Why didn't you sleep at your office? That way you would have been able to call the winner of the bet about the arrival of the Dawn and gotten to the pier easier! Be careful on the roads, Good luck and Bon Voyage to you and your gang.

Shoreguy, Once it took me 7 hrs to drive from Wayne to Chester. No offense, but I would have spent the night in a hotel in Seacaucus, had a nice breakfast, checked out at noon and not go through all the stress trying to get there this morning

Incredible mesoscale snow banding currently occurring from western CT southwestward through northeast New Jersey/parts of NYC...and

even extending southwestward all the way into phl. 2 to locally 4 inches of snow per hour are falling within this band. Have received

reports of 12-14" across parts of NYC and northeast New Jersey. A foot of snow has fallen at Central Park so far with in all likelihood 8" to go.

In all likelihood...this will go down a top ten storm of all time for NYC...with a top 5 all time possible given the nature of the

mesoscale banding just to the west ready to move in. Will be increasing totals to 1 to 2 feet for NYC as well as northestern New Jersey/parts of

the lower Hudson Valley/and CT. Danbury just came in with 15" as of 730a. Laguardia just came in with zero visibility.

Extremely heavy snow with thunder and lightning over the next couple of hours will slowly progress eastward...but we're not sure how far.

Bands like this don't typically last all that long. So...perhaps a slight weakening is in order after then next two hours...but we'll

have to watch to see what happens. Rates of 1-4"/hour will be common through at least 10 am...possibly longer with embedded thunder.

Gotta be careful with this one. WWG may be used?

Cheers,

Norman

I wonder if there is any precedent for keeping the ship a day in a situation like this ...

This is from the NCL website.....

The winter weather in the Northeastern United States is invariably cold, which is why a cruise to the warm weather is so appealing! Only rarely is it stormy. We do not expect our schedule into and out of New York to be adversely affected by winter weather. However, there is always the possibly of an occasional weather system causing strong winds and rough seas. In this case, NCL would intend to delay sailing until conditions allow for departure.

If your Norwegian Dawn departure from New York is delayed for longer than 12 hours due to weather, you will receive an onboard credit of $100 per person (maximum $200 per stateroom) on your current departure. Or, if you do not wish to continue the cruise, you may choose to leave the ship and receive a cruise credit equal to the amount you paid, to use on a future NCL cruise, sailing within one year from the date of the cruise credit, and any reasonable incidental expenses you incur in rearranging your travel/vacation plans will be reimbursed by NCL.

The last post, left on the 2/12/ Roll Call thread is interesting - the one left by SactoSteve. Hop over there and read it. I'm sorry, I don't know how to get it over here, or I would do that for you.

Very Interesting, indeed.

To all of your cruisers on 2/12 - Hope the trek to the pier is/was uneventful, and that all goes perfectly for the rest of the cruise.

SailAways:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=87649

we were due to pick up the pilot about 10 am .... then 2 hours to the dock. Then a bit of time to get cleared, and a few hours for everyone to get off the ship. Lunch is being served for us in the Garden Court and the Venetian.

We're planning on being one of the last off, we don't really have anywhere to go and we might as well enjoy our cabin as long as possible.

It was a pretty rough night. All the stuff on our bar fell over, broke lots of glass. Force 11 winds at one point.

I won't see any replies ... I'm using the remaining of the little internet time I have.

Have a wonderful cruise. Don't forget that duct tape ... it came in VERY handy last night .... numerous times!!! It was amazing how many doors could bang.

Bon Voyage!

Ada

Norwegian Dawn Update

MIAMI – February 12, 2006 - On its return to New York, Norwegian Dawn has encountered some adverse weather conditions and the ship has been delayed arriving into New York today by two hours. Norwegian Dawn will now arrive at noon.

NCL will expedite the disembarkation process as much as possible for guests on the current cruise, and will begin the embarkation process as early as possible. The company recommends that passengers on today's cruise delay their arrival to the pier until 2 p.m.

NCL would like to thanks its guests for their understanding and patience

No Dawn yet - expected some time after 12 noon. Lat/vip area not open - ride in was not to bad. I followed a carivan of snowplows acrosss NJ.

The parking lot is a mess. All the cars still there waiting for the ship to return.

All that is left now is to wait until the ship comes in and they can turn it around

Here comes the Dawn - a chear just went up - :) :) :)

I'm snowed in. So I have nothing better to do but watch the drama unfold.

My money is also on for a postponed sail tomorrow. I hope that happens so the people have more time to get there. The roads here are terrible and the airports are closed. I feel sorry for the people getting off the ship in this mess. good luck to all.

Archived