I got my vaccine! Let’s go!

cl.klink

On 1/9/2021 at 1:04 PM, Ride-The-Waves said:

Received our vaccines on Thursday - what a mess in Florida.  The incompetent governor lowered the first tier to 65 from 75 (we are 76 and 79).  That increased the number of people qualified by around 20 percent and created turmoil.  A real cluster to try and schedule in our county.  Drove two counties over - first come first served.  Early a very long line which was stopped after about 2 hours.  Two hours later a restart and we got in.  Pfizer version.  Provided card stated we need to get the booster in 3 weeks - not 12 or whatever.  Three weeks.  My understanding is the efficacy testing is based on the 3-week time frame.  Longer than that has not been tested.  Moderna is apparently 4 weeks between inoculations.

We are booked on a T/A March 2022 and looking for a westbound for Fall 22.  We have no problems with using PPE and expect to keep that need for a long time, and likely on the cruise.  Keeps everyone safer.

Stay safe!

Agree that Florida  is a mess. Counties are trying to expand appt  sign ups but so far there's no improvement in sign up  procedures,  and also slow  distrib of vaccine. It's  a daily chore to search out possibilities that yield  little success

And they are not handling this equally.

In Citrus County folks slept in their cars overnight at a first come first served drive through vaccination site, while Gov and State health dept are cherry picking  certain groups to get exclusive access at  their worship venues( press coverage).

Newspaper reports  the  gov had a "show" vaccination event ( press coverage)  at the Villages where local reps and Vips were given access ahead of others . Only a matter of time before others demand special events for them.  Slippery slope!

We have been  pre registered at a local hosp and are registered a

in a Standby Lottery pool.   With others going ahead we may never get our chance.! But we'll keep trying....

You think the US is a mess, Canada is as well.

The vaccine is not being administered in drug stores, only government health units, so access is very limited.

All countries had sufficient time to develop an orderly distribution set up and ensure public communication of the priority distribution - Not.

Add in the apparent decision not to administer the required 2nd doses of the vaccines in accordance with the manufacturers approvals, and well bull.

Failure of the huge bureaucracy in both countries.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

the fact they're 94 and 99...?  Status aside,  I think you'd embrace having a 'shot' at another few years...😁

It was meant to be tongue in cheek, perhaps I should have put special in quotes.  Of course they deserve to have had their shot, they and she especially are very important to the UK for many valid reasons obviously.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, gold1953 said:

We will take you!

I am kind of an honorary Canadian, my dad was born there but moved to US when he was two.  May I come up, pretty please?  Not just because of our COVID situation but for plenty of other current reasons as well.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:02 PM, jagoffee said:

It is amazing that you have received your first dose and are adamant about your opposition to FL’s approach. You are lucky that you do not live in NY or IL where not a single person either 75 or 65 and above, who does not live in a long term care facility have received the vaccine.

The IL state government has finally modified the definition of elderly to 65 and above and put them in group 1b with the 75 and above.  IL is still only providing vaccines to group 1a.   They say that they will not go to 1b until 85% of group 1a is completed.  I believe NY is also considering modifying their definition of elderly.  After all 80% of the deaths attribute to COVID are 65 years old and above.  Why shouldn’t they focus on lowering the death rate. So if you lived in NY, IL or most other state in the union, you would not have received a shot. 

Florida has administered over 550K  shots, which is number three in states by number.  We shall see how effectively Florida ramps  up.  Other states are making changes to focus on  administering shots instead of centralizing the control.  Almost 8 million shots across the US has been administered with 22 million doses delivered.  That itself is an amazing logistics success. Since the 20th case of the COVID was not officially confirmed until the end of February, it is a miracle that we even have a vaccine providing hope of improvement.  

Of course you are always entitled to your opinion, but I happened to think you are among the very fortunate.

As a fellow Illinoisan, I'm with you!  I would gladly go through a lot of hassle and phone calls and so on if I had a chance of getting my vaccine!  As someone who is 69, I also am very glad that our governor reduced the age range for group 1b to 65, even though it may take forever and a day to actually get it.  Consistently the experts, including Dr. Fauci,  have emphasized how dangerous the virus was for those 65 and older.  And then the government releases a recommendation that says 75 and above.  What?!?!  

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2021 at 12:26 PM, garyl62 said:

Got my first dose of Modena today 😄 To bad that won't get me on a 7 day Saturday departure to the Caribbean! 

20210109_092543.jpg

Congratulations!  And as a fellow Illinoisan, curious.  Are you in group 1a, or has Rockford actually been able to move to group 1b?  Very frustrated that it is taking so long to get there in our area (DuPage county).  So many people in group 1a are refusing to take the vaccine,  waiting until we get to 85% seems questionable to say the least.  I don't object to them going first, but if they don't want it, I'll be happy to take their place (and I know this is not the only reason we are not yet at 85% - unfortunately lots of bureaucratic delays as well)

Hi ABoatNerd and all others awaiting a vaccination.

Out here on the wet coast of British Columbia progress is being made.

Dec 24th my niece in healthcare got first shot, Jan 08 my 97 year old mother in law, in care facility got first shot. In BC we will wait 35 days between first to second injection. This is based on data that after first shot and 2 weeks passes the pfizer vaccine gives protection at about 92%. This is very positive. No need to give second injection at 3 weeks. Also, another over 100,000 can get first vaccination if we go from 3 weeks to 6 weeks for second injection.  

Each month, after December, we get more vaccine in following months, as supplies are available. 

Goal is to vaccinate healthcare workers, elderly, then on down the lists until all who want the vaccine are done this year.

Our turn will come. 

32 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Congratulations!  And as a fellow Illinoisan, curious.  Are you in group 1a, or has Rockford actually been able to move to group 1b?  ......

I would be considered in group 1A.  Healthcare worker that comes in direct contact with patients.  Non-clinical, but a Director of Facilities so I'm in all areas of our buildings and many times told before we enter areas that there are active cases on the unit.  Our direct care staff were give first priority, then people like me, but for example my admin assistant is not being offered the opportunity because she does not come in direct contact with patients.  So even within 1A there are tiers.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 7:13 PM, galveston gal said:

I was in the Pfizer phase 3 trial.  Found out last we when unblinded that I did receive the real vaccine in September and October.  Unbeknownst to me, I have been duly vaccinated since then.  The trial is issuing ID cards to us.

My better half had dose 1 two weeks ago.  Dose two scheduled for January 20th.  We are going to be ready soon!!!

Woo hoo and thank you for being part of the trial! That was very important work indeed.

Received my first dose of Moderna at a Kaiser Hospital in SoCal yesterday (I am a member of Kaiser HMO). No charge for the vaccination.  The place was busy but not overwhelmed, 30 minutes in and out.  We were issued I.D. cards.  I am in group 1b (compromised immune system) as a result of recent open heart surgery.  As my only caregiver, my wife received hers too.  We were given an appointment for our second dose 28 days later (Feb. 5) which must be from the same lot as the first.  Maximum immunity (however much that is) will result about 14 days after that (Feb. 19).  No microchip was injected into me.  My only side effect 18 hours later is an urge to eat one of those pistachio danish from Luminae!  Celebrity here we come!  Three cruises booked on =X= in 2021 starting in June.

Edited by El Crucero
  • Like 5

38 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

Received my first dose of Moderna at a Kaiser Hospital in SoCal yesterday (I am a member of Kaiser HMO). No charge for the vaccination.  The place was busy but not overwhelmed, 30 minutes in and out.  We were issued I.D. cards.  I am in group 1b (compromised immune system) as a result of recent open heart surgery.  As my only caregiver, my wife received hers too.  We were given an appointment for our second dose 28 days later (Feb. 5) which must be from the same lot as the first.  Maximum immunity (however much that is) will result about 14 days after that (Feb. 19).  No microchip was injected into me.  My only side effect 18 hours later is an urge to eat one of those pistachio danish from Luminae!  Celebrity here we come!  Three cruises booked on =X= in 2021 starting in June.

I am with you all the way - one of my favorites!

Now two hours removed from Moderna #1 vaccination, I can say that the process was indeed a very smooth, orderly large scale health care operation. Extremely impressed with the way our county has responded to this crisis and it's responsibility to the citizens. As I am writing this, another round of Celebrity cancellations has been brought to my attention. Even more indication that many of us will be all shot-up with no place to go in 2021.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Now two hours removed from Moderna #1 vaccination, I can say that the process was indeed a very smooth, orderly large scale health care operation. Extremely impressed with the way our county has responded to this crisis and it's responsibility to the citizens. As I am writing this, another round of Celebrity cancellations has been brought to my attention. Even more indication that many of us will be all shot-up with no place to go in 2021.  

Congrats.  Yes Florida is leading the way IMO.  Good luck, stay safe and we will see you out there soon!

Cheers

26 minutes ago, GonzoWCS said:

Congrats.  Yes Florida is leading the way IMO.  Good luck, stay safe and we will see you out there soon!

Cheers

Why are some saying the inoculation procedure is a nightmare (in some parts of Florida)?  Hours long waiting, overnight in cars in some cases, confusion over who can/can't receive it, snowbirds getting it before permanent citizens?  Saying that, however, really happy for all who received it not matter how long the waiting period may have been.

18 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Why are some saying the inoculation procedure is a nightmare (in some parts of Florida)?  Hours long waiting, overnight in cars in some cases, confusion over who can/can't receive it, snowbirds getting it before permanent citizens?  Saying that, however, really happy for all who received it not matter how long the waiting period may have been.

Florida is a very long & wide (in part) state.
Distribution is managed by County & Municipality.

Edited by Von & John

36 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Unknown, everyone has an opinion it would seem these days.  We just take care of ourselves.  All quiet on the NW of the Sunshine State.

Cheers

Edited by GonzoWCS
wordsmithing

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

From news reports it seems last week some areas (particularly SW counties) opened up a "first come first served" service to anyone over a certain age (I think 65 or maybe 70) and that caused lines to form and some to even camp out overnight to make sure they were able to get a dose. It also resulted in non-residents getting ahead of residents in some reported incidents.  I believe there have been changes and things have become more controlled by now.

20 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

It also resulted in non-residents getting ahead of residents in some reported incidents.  I believe there have been changes and things have become more controlled by now.

I just had a report from a friend of mine who lives in Connecticut.  They are snowbirds in Florida.  She reports they got their Moderna vaccination last Sunday in Florida.  She said they got a reservation for their second vaccination in Florida on February 7.  That seems pretty unfair to me.

Edited by El Crucero

47 minutes ago, El Crucero said:

....  That seems pretty unfair to me.

As I stated in my post, I was only referencing news reports I had heard, I am not in Florida, nor do I have any personal knowledge of what they are doing.  Not sure if you were just making a general comment about fairness, but since you quoted me I wanted to clarify my position.

17 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

As I stated in my post, I was only referencing news reports I had heard, I am not in Florida, nor do I have any personal knowledge of what they are doing.  Not sure if you were just making a general comment about fairness, but since you quoted me I wanted to clarify my position.

I can tell you that I have two friends that own homes in FL.  Both are there now and both have been able to get their first shot.  Fair or not, I'm not judging, just stating what I know.  They do pay taxes as they on homes...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I can tell you that I have two friends that own homes in FL.  Both are there now and both have been able to get their first shot.  Fair or not, I'm not judging, just stating what I know.  They do pay taxes as they on homes...

Good for them.  Do people actually expect them to leave their winter homes and return to their other home in order to receive a vaccine being paid for with Federal funds? I find it hard to believe that many people would expect such a thing.  

I really wish that I was in Florida for various reasons.  I live in IL.  Not a single person (no matter the age, health condition, etc) has received a vaccine shot that it not considered a front line worker or living in a Long Term Care facility..  (I believe it is the same in NY and some other states). According to the status report that I monitor there are a lot of unused vaccines, but the focus appears to be on centralized control instead of saving lives.

The  great news is that across the U.S., 10 million shots have been administered.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Good for them.  Do people actually expect them to leave their winter homes and return to their other home in order to receive a vaccine being paid for with Federal funds? I find it hard to believe that many people would expect such a thing.  

I really wish that I was in Florida for various reasons.  I live in IL.  Not a single person (no matter the age, health condition, etc) has received a vaccine shot that it not considered a front line worker or living in a Long Term Care facility..  (I believe it is the same in NY and some other states). According to the status report that I monitor there are a lot of unused vaccines, but the focus appears to be on centralized control instead of saving lives.

The  great news is that across the U.S., 10 million shots have been administered.  

I appreciate your optimism (not sarcasm). I have a hard time seeing 10,000,000 as great news when we were supposed to be at 20,000,000 two weeks ago.  I should try to adopt an attitude like yours. 

I feel that every vaccine is a step toward the end of the pandemic, so I am glad that people are getting them, whether or not they are full-time residents. 

My brother (51, obese, asthmatic) has had his first shot, because he works at a central refill pharmacy. He was a bit surprised, as he does not have patient contact. Indeed, only employees can even enter the very secure building. However, the vaccines were provided, would have gone to waste if not administered, and so he took it. I imagine Kaiser didn't bother with different protocols for pharmacy employees with and without patient contact. 

I'm not a fan of line jumping, yet I do not want any doses to go to waste. I'm glad I'm not in charge. 

• Like 5

Husband and I both had our first Moderna vaccination shot on Friday.  Our county was part of the Publix grocery/pharmacy pilot program, starting with seniors over 65..  All appointments were booked by 7:30 AM on a secure website, but got us in.  I was up and ready to book after the Gov. announced the pilot a couple of days before.  Publix had their act together.....we showed up and there were no lines (There was a deputy standing right there so people were very orderly)...we were taken in immediately, given the shot (absolutely painless) and all information we needed.  In total, from the time we got in the store, signed in, got our shots, waited afterwards, did weekend grocery shopping, travelled back at our house, the time was less than 1 hour.  We have a date and time for our second shot already if we go to the same location.  In the meantime, I am still waiting for the county health dept. to even acknowledge that I called them a couple of weeks back to get on a waiting list......So far, not an adverse reaction except a sore arm the day after. I do understand that there may be a reaction after the second shot, but it is mild and short lived.  Publix is expanding the vaccination site numbers now, and I would recommend their pharmacy.  We're very happy with our decision.  So this may explain the contradictory feedback on the FL rollout...I give a total thumbs down to the government sites, but the pilot with Publix worked out great for us.

Edited by hernando52
  • Like 7